Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007631 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #4375 on: 2019-01-05 02:08:11 »
And it's been improved with R06 :)

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: 2019-01-05 03:25:07 »
And it's been improved with R06 :)

Awww yeah, excellent news :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: 2019-01-06 06:39:38 »
My quest to create a full modding framework is going well.

Some things to note:

- When adding non English files (to translate the game to a different language) - it's best not to copy LGPs entirely, but to use the individual needed files.  As default,  I have left the English text related files in The Reunion.

The snowboard file 'cfont.tex' cannot be swapped like all the rest, as it already contains all other languages and then executable code differs to offset it to the correct one.  Instead, manually edit the font. If there are any issues, let me know.

The relevant texts for this file are
Km/h
PTS [May be unused as, so far, the only use of it I can find resides in the executable]
SPEED
TIME
PAUSE

Files that have text (640*480 mode only as no-one is using 320*240 mode anymore):

Cr

after_1.tex
font.tex
font_ua.tex
font_ub.tex
name1_a.tex
name1_b.tex
name2_a.tex
name2_b.tex
name3_a.tex
name3_b.tex
name4_a.tex
name4_b.tex
name5_a.tex
name5_b.tex
name6_a.tex
name6_b.tex
name7_a.tex
name7_b.tex
name8_a.tex
name8_b.tex

Disc

disk1_a.tex
disk1_b.tex
disk2_a.tex
disk2_b.tex
disk3_a.tex
disk3_b.tex
e_over_a.tex
e_over_b.tex
e_over_c.tex
e_over_e.tex
e_over_f.tex

Coaster

pause.tex
score.tex

Chocobo

ag.tex
ah.tex
ai.tex
aq.tex
ar.tex
as.tex
ba.tex
bb.tex
bc.tex
bk.tex
bl.tex
bm.tex
bo.tex
bw.tex
ca.tex
bz.tex

Condor

ehelp.tim
ehelp1.tim
[not used. Presumably never converted to .tex]

emes00a.tex
emes00b.tex
emes00b.tex
emes00d.tex
emes01b.tex
emes08.tex
eunit00a.tex
eunit00b.tex
eunit00c.tex
eunit01a.tex
eunit01b.tex
eunit01b.tex
eunit01d.tex
mes02.tex
eunit00d.tex
emes01a.tex

High

guaa.tex
huaa.tex
iuaa.tex
juaa.tex

Menu

btl_win_a_h.tex
btl_win_a_l.tex
btl_win_b_h.tex
btl_win_b_l.tex
btl_win_c_h.tex
btl_win_c_l.tex

btl_win_d_h.tex
btl_win_d_l.tex
[These two are an awful, inconsistent font.  Used for HP, MP, RGB for config menu also.  Probably other areas.]

coloa.tex
colob.tex
coloc.tex

ketcy2a.tex

usfont_a_h.tex
usfont_a_l.tex
usfont_b_h.tex
usfont_b_l.tex
[Main font]

Snowboard

cfont.tex
ea_k.tex
eb_k.tex
ec_k.tex
eg_k.tex
eita_k.tex
estamp0.tex
estamp1.tex
time1.tex
time2.tex

Sub

hudd.tex
texta.tex
textb.tex
textc.tex
textd.tex

Executable

Numerous menu texts
Most of the Snowboard minigame texts
Limit break character dialogue in the menu
Submarine minigame results screen texts - hard coded

[Submarine text is a work in progress. All other text is now pulled from an external text file - with no size limit]

Kernel.bin

Character names before the player names them in the menu screen (where they are then taken from the Save Map]

Kernel2.bin

Numerous menu texts - mainly battle menu.

Scene.bin
Battle monster names
Battle dialogue
Battle action names (enemy spell names, for example)

Window.bin
Field and Menu font spacing data. No longer needed as this is abolished in R06 in favour of external text file.]

World_**.bin

'mes' contains world map dialogue

flevel
Field dialogue

---------

Some of the above files are named differently in non-English LGPs.  In these cases, they need to be named as above when used with The Reunion R06. This is also true if modding using PNGS.  The filenames will be the English game version only.

LGP archives, however, are universally named (for example, menu.lgp, world.lgp).

I will create an excel document at a later time - and a tutorial video on completion of R06.

I also appear to be missing the end credits text. Where is this held?

« Last Edit: 2019-01-06 07:16:37 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: 2019-01-06 07:47:35 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: 2019-01-12 00:00:39 »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DUjmyW94zcYoX7gIW5yAT4giTPeNmCR4TCaHAiXOLlU/edit?usp=sharing

Almost completed new tab 'Game Text'. 
That is um, very extensive and impressive O.O

I enjoy reading the Japanese too :P
« Last Edit: 2019-01-12 00:07:17 by the_randomizer85 »

Psiloc

• View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: 2019-01-15 13:45:47 »
Hi there, just looking through the Reunion database and notice that the Orthopedic Underwear section is up for debate.

Since "The writers were trying to convey that the underwear Cloud finds is more adult than you would expect for Tifa at that age", I do have some suggestions:

• If the idea is that the underwear is for older people in an extremely unsexy way, in Britain at least we call these "granny pants/panties". It means large, visually unappealing but presumably practical underwear. The term is slightly rude - you wouldn't want to be accused of wearing them. I think they'd be sold in shops as "maxi briefs".
  • Slightly down the scale (something a middle-aged-woman might wear?) is "high-waisted knickers/briefs". I'm sure you can get nice varieties... but they're still high-waisted. Not many young women would wear them
  • Probably least humiliating might be "french knickers" (apparently Americans call these "tap pants"). They come in various designs, some more appealing than others, but they're out of fashion and sort of boxer-short sized.

It really depends on whether you want to convey that the underwear is embarrassing for Tifa because of the style of underwear, and to what extreme. Anyway, I thought I'd offer some suggestions.

...What a weird first post this was.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: 2019-01-15 19:51:49 »
This has been debated further in recent times.  The idea is it's more adult than would be expected for her age.

"Lit. Grown-up underwear
[The writers were trying to convey that the underwear
Cloud finds is more adult than you would expect for
Tifa at that age.]"

From The Reunion Database.

Frilly Knickers
Fancy Underwear

[This is under consideration.]

Whatever is used has to give across the understanding that these are more adult. Frilly Underwear kind of works.  It can't be too ridiculous, or too obvious, or too subtle.

The high waist isn't a bad idea.  French cannot be used as this is FF7 world and not Earth.  While language can be real earth types, their names cannot.  So Cait can speak Scottish dialect, but you could never refer to it as such in-game.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-15 19:53:29 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: 2019-01-15 20:10:35 »
DLPBToday at 9:01 PM
@Chapybara

ご案内    Goanni    "[A call to a ship.
To guide from danger.]"    Guidance

Is this more "Signal" ?  I'm thinking if there is any real world nautical terminology we're missing here
Hmm maybe it's meant to be "Guide" to give you a clue about Guide Book
Yes... that's exactly it
And "Guide" is correct terminology "A guide".
I've answered my own question

Uprisen also mentions guide ships.  So that's the reason this move exists. It makes sense now - it's to give you a clue that the monster has the Guide Book.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-15 20:14:09 by DLPB »

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: 2019-01-17 06:16:37 »
Regarding the underwear thing, that's a fairly common trope in anime - girls in a high school setting are expected to wear plain panties, but then there's one girl who wears something unexpectedly risque, like frilly black or red panties ("adult lingerie"). In this case, I guess she doesn't necessarily wear it to school but she has some at home. Maybe it's more surprising because she's a bit of a tomboy by this time.

SavenP

• View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: 2019-01-18 03:45:11 »
How do you fast forward? I accidentally did it and now it's back to original speed when I restarted game.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: 2019-01-24 12:40:42 »
I can't quite remember if it was mentioned in this thread or elsewhere, but will R06 include a fix for the swapped light/shadows on character models?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: 2019-01-24 12:57:02 »
It won't - because I failed :P  I managed to find places that change it - but I wasn't able to fix. It would need someone who understands graphics.  And we'd need to know exactly what is going wrong- as in mathematically.  One way to get around it I suppose could be to disable it entirely and have shaded models.  But Kaldarasha believes this will only look worse.

Wiseman

• View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: 2019-01-24 22:13:38 »
How do you fast forward? I accidentally did it and now it's back to original speed when I restarted game.

I believe you're referring to the speed up function in battles, but Square didn't include that in the Steam version or the 1998 version. Only their own site and the modern console ports have that. There is a trainer called Ochuu around this site that will do that, but I think it has no hotkeys. Neither does The Reunion.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: 2019-01-25 07:21:55 »
Oh, R05 has hotkeys to control the speed.

Wiseman

• View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: 2019-01-25 16:37:50 »
Oh, R05 has hotkeys to control the speed.

Now that I re-read the readme files, I was impressed. I never once used this feature.  ;D

Headbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: 2019-01-30 03:42:33 »
Hey, first time using The Reunion. Or doing much of any extensive modding on FFVII.

I'm running into two issues. The first is that the text in windows is often... misaligned. You'll have something like

Hello, my name is Bob Fugeldorm
and I am a nice man.

Instead of

Hello, my name is Bob Fugeldorm,
and I am a nice man.

It always seems off by one character, punctuation especially. In-game example

https://i.gyazo.com/6c27cb885354a501a29f2474159775a7.jpg

The second is that the game simply cannot progress when you're in the train on the way to the Mako 5 reactor. Specifically, the game cease interacting (it still runs, but it doesn't respond to any input anymore) when Barrett says

Barret
"Alright, in three minutes
we're jumpin' off this train..."

For the blocker, my solution was to uninstall Reunion and re-install it after the next save point. I'd take a screenshot, but FFVII doesn't behave well enough for that to be possible apparently.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: 2019-01-30 18:15:14 »
The box sizes there are caused by incompatibility of mods you have installed.  When using R05 (or 6) the installation autosizes.  If any other mod is installed that affects font spacing, you'll get that issue.  It doesn't exist as far as I'm aware with a normal install (7th Heaven is not a normal install).

Additionally, a lot more work is needed on grammar - which will be finalized with R07.

Headbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: 2019-01-30 19:36:35 »
I followed the steps from here (steam version):

https://captrobau.blogspot.com/p/install-guide-ff7-mod-manager.html

The only mods I have are the ERSGAN background mod and the 7th heaven mod manager. It could be that the transparent dialog box from 7th heaven causes issues, it's just weird that it doesn't do that on its own.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: 2019-01-31 05:09:00 »
If you use the menu overhaul in 7th Heaven you  can't use the Reunion. MO needs an older version of the reunion mod which use a smaller font and has therefore also smaller windows. Maybe you have also the steam version on your PC than you can copy window.bin and replace with it the models window.bin of your moded game.

grifmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: 2019-02-02 00:37:02 »
Regarding the underwear thing, that's a fairly common trope in anime - girls in a high school setting are expected to wear plain panties, but then there's one girl who wears something unexpectedly risque, like frilly black or red panties ("adult lingerie"). In this case, I guess she doesn't necessarily wear it to school but she has some at home. Maybe it's more surprising because she's a bit of a tomboy by this time.

Seconding this interpretation. My vote is for Risqué Panties (or Risque Panties). Tifa is... a bit sexually repressed, and she's 16 at the time, so I think it's more likely she'd have this kind of secret rather than being embarrassed by "Frilly Knickers" or "Fancy Underwear".

Edit: Sorry if this is backseat translation but I did some digging -- according to the JP text dump the line is:
Code: [Select]
『ちょっと背のびパンツ』を手にいれた!
( chotto se nobi pantsu ) wo teni ireta !
This can be translated various ways.
ちょっと: Small, little, or "a bit".
背: Back/spine, sometimes disobey/rebel.
のび: Grow, stretching, extending.
背のび: Overstretching oneself, stretching your back to make yourself seem taller.

I like the reading that the panties were "a little 背のび", implying (Cloud thought/suggested) that Tifa was trying a little too hard to seem grown-up. In this light, my suggestion of "Risqué Panties" doesn't really work, especially considering the International Version graphic is anything but risqué, but I also don't think "Frilly Knickers" captures the meaning either. The scene is being told through Cloud's perspective and, well, intended to embarrass Tifa, so it's pretty important to the joke to directly portray his thought that they were age-inappropriate (also because Cloud is a bit of a dork). "Adult Panties" might work, "Grown-Up Panties" might work better (because only children say "grown-up"). "Fancy Underwear" is definitely pretty good, because coming from a guy, a thing being "fancy" has a sort of judgmental tone (e.g. "Tifa thinks these 'fancy' panties will make her seem more grown-up").
« Last Edit: 2019-02-02 21:11:36 by grifmoney »

opengrip

• View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: 2019-02-03 17:30:55 »
This has probably been asked a lot and I don't mean to come off the wrong way but in all seriousness why not make this mod 100% compatible with 7th heaven? "Most" people absolutely want to use both and you are only hurting the success of this amazing translation by not having its recent updates be compatible with the most popular mod manager. You have options for translations and lots of other stuff is optional in your installer (models, 60fps etc). How hard would it be to have a 7th heaven option which adjusts things to be more compatible? That or why not work with EQ2Alyza more to let him update the 7th heaven catalog with recent options from this mod/more updated translation? Also curious why Because and Menu are not modular from each other in the installer?  This stuff can't be impossible and I just don't understand how you don't feel its worth your time? These are just my opinions and at the end of the day its your mod and time which I highly respect but hopefully you can take this comment constructively.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: 2019-02-03 17:42:45 »
Because 7th Heaven is an overly complicated modding solution - and it isn't for me to fix bugs with their installation.  My installation works fine.
Not to mention, I am working on my own modding solution.

Imagine you create a novel and someone else edits it and then it's all a mess.  Would you take your complaint to the editor or the original author?  There's nothing more to say on it.

I don't even have the time to start loading 7th Heaven fixing all the incompatibilites.

Also, the reason Menu and Beacause come together is because of menu changes needed to accommodate it.  This may be something I can make optional in R07.

Finally, I'm not happy that the old Menu Overhaul is part of 7th Heaven, because I don't support that version anymore - and it looks crap.  I am not sure the next version will even be compatible with it at all.  As I say, I am working on my own modding solution. 
« Last Edit: 2019-02-03 18:09:12 by DLPB »

opengrip

• View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: 2019-02-03 18:48:18 »
Because 7th Heaven is an overly complicated modding solution - and it isn't for me to fix bugs with their installation.  My installation works fine.
Not to mention, I am working on my own modding solution.

Imagine you create a novel and someone else edits it and then it's all a mess.  Would you take your complaint to the editor or the original author?  There's nothing more to say on it.

I don't even have the time to start loading 7th Heaven fixing all the incompatibilites.

Also, the reason Menu and Beacause come together is because of menu changes needed to accommodate it.  This may be something I can make optional in R07.

Finally, I'm not happy that the old Menu Overhaul is part of 7th Heaven, because I don't support that version anymore - and it looks crap.  I am not sure the next version will even be compatible with it at all.  As I say, I am working on my own modding solution.

Ok so let me respond to each of those things.... First off I never said that your mod didn't work fine on its own. My main point was that it wasn't easily compatible with the system that most people use to mod the game....

And 7th heaven doesn't edit things... the words of your book just aren't compatible to begin with... so in this case I would go to the original author. Like if this was my mod (I know its not, but just humor me for a second lol) I would have started out making the mod in a way that would work with the manager.... And don't misunderstand I don't expect your mod to be compatible with everything in 7th heavens catalog. When game companies make games they usually plan there platform and standalone doesn't really work... imagine having to buy a completely new console for each game. So at the end of the day my minimum goal would be to have a product that worked on the system that most users are using. In this case 7th heaven.

I didn't realize that the menu was needed for Because. Can you elaborate a bit more on why this is? I am currently using the 7th heaven menu as its the only one I can get to work with 7th heaven along with the r5 translation.

Assuming you do make the next version fully not compatible with the version in 7th heaven that will force separation of your users completely from 7th heaven... unless you find a way to make your new updates work with 7th heaven. This would be ideal if you plan to have the new menus be required for future versions of your translation.

If not I guess we will be stuck using your earlier versions which would really suck as I would like to experience the hard work you put into these updates. I really can't justify changing my whole mod setup for 1 mods updates unfortunately and the ease of making mod packs into IRO which you can organize with a mod priority is not something most users would wish to give up.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: 2019-02-03 19:59:28 »
My mod came long before 7th Heaven.  You aren't hearing me:

My mod has an installer. It works. It isn't my job to make my mod compatible with another mod - or to work around issues with a now totally unsupported older mod that 7th Heaven devs decided to add.  I don't like 7th Heaven either, which is why I am making my own modding solution.

To create a working translation, the menu needs to be edited, as certain text won't fit etc - that's why it currently comes as one mod.

You are also vastly underestimating the work that is needed.  I have my own mod to complete without spending 100s of hours fixing up another install package.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-03 20:03:22 by DLPB »