Author Topic: What the hell is wrong with SquareEnix?  (Read 42487 times)

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with SquareEnix?
« Reply #25 on: 2014-01-27 23:11:07 »
Course not.. now they are a pure out and out business.  Whereas before they at least had some passion and care.

Passion and care went out the door with Sakaguchi.  There's a good reason X was the last game in the series I bought around the release date, and I flat-out refused to touch XIII or anything related to it, considering SE's blatant trolling to the FF7 fanbase (which has clearly failed).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-01-27 23:32:11 »
Passion and care went out the door with Sakaguchi.  There's a good reason X was the last game in the series I bought around the release date, and I flat-out refused to touch XIII or anything related to it, considering SE's blatant trolling to the FF7 fanbase (which has clearly failed).
That's not entirely fair. Tetsuya Nomura is plenty passionate, just not very good at what he does (and spread too thin these days, doing character design for virtually everything and directing and writing all the KH games AND FFXIV).

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-01-29 06:10:30 »
http://www.edge-online.com/features/final-fantasys-overseer-yoshinori-kitase-on-defining-the-japanese-rpg/

Kitase has been at the frontline of industry change. “In the beginning, the atmosphere was one of a small university arts or technology club. Today, it’s a market with Hollywood-scale productions. When I first joined Square, the view of games from wider society was one of a niche subculture; it was underground and impenetrable.”

Kitase’s interest in making games more approachable stems from what he saw at this time. “My father would complain that he had no idea what was going on when I played RPGs at home after school,” he says. “This made me want to make games something that those watching the screen next to the player could also find interesting. That’s one of the reasons I’ve pushed 3D CG graphics and voice acting.

None of the bolded sections are necessarily bad things, but I find the bit about the change in atmosphere pretty interesting. Perhaps devs who don't forget their roots are the ones making the better content, it's certainly possible to make a big-budget Hollywood style game that doesn't have to resort to cheap tactics and generic writing to widen its appeal.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-02-03 19:26:25 »
It looks similar to Kingdom Hearts... which is fine, those games are great gameplay wise.

What should you be mad about? Well, maybe the fact that this game might be 9+ years in development by the time it's finished (and they said an FF7 remake would take to long, fuck these asshats) and we still don't have a release date...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #30 on: 2014-02-17 09:39:35 »
Passion and care went out the door with Sakaguchi.  There's a good reason X was the last game in the series I bought around the release date...

The last FF Sakaguchi really had any major influence over was 9, credited as producer and scenario. He was "only" executive producer on 8, 10 and 11.

Nightmare799

• View Profile
http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/19/square-enix-keen-to-bring-more-final-fantasy-games-to-pc-in-future/

Too little too late, they should have thought of that when they released 9, 10 and 10-2 as ps2 (and later ps3) only games.

Not a lot people are interested in their future releases.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #33 on: 2014-02-23 11:21:00 »
Well I need to report that I get over 100 post updates on steam every day about VIII and XIV...

vivinox

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-02-27 13:11:24 »
i just hope they won't make it like a hackandslash button masher that is kingdom heart, like kill all the mobs here and the door will open than you will kill yet again all the mobs here. they should have added the turn based battle system not this crap, i am still going to play it but again so disappointed in the battle

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-02-27 16:01:23 »
Kingdom Hearts is great, especially compared to recent FF's.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-02-27 16:23:09 »
The Kingdom Hearts series got off to a poor start where combat is concerned. The first game has basically no depth to the battles; I'll agree with vivinox, it's a button-masher to the end. The second game slightly improved on it by adding quick-time events to the mix, but that wasn't enough. It wasn't until Birth By Sleep that they actually got it right, IMO. Blocking and parrying make the battles actually require reflexes, and the command deck and focus systems make them interesting.

Then again, I even preferred Chain of Memories to anything else pre-BbS. It actually required you to pay attention to what you were doing, a concept that most players seem to have struggled with. It was a bit clunky, but still a good deal deeper than just spamming attacks against regular enemires or whatever magic a boss is weak to.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-02-27 16:32:41 »
Fair enough, but I'd still say KH is 5000x better than XIII.

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-03-03 06:09:59 »
The last FF Sakaguchi really had any major influence over was 9, credited as producer and scenario. He was "only" executive producer on 8, 10 and 11.

You made my point for me.  8 is an absolutely awful game and 10 is the game that made me give up on the whole series ever getting better.  9 was the last Final Fantasy I truly enjoyed.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-03-03 23:29:55 »
X is very good and widely regarded as so.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-03-04 00:52:06 »
FFX is very good in some ways, but has a lot of the roots of what would eventually be hated about later entries in the franchise. Bad voice acting, incomprehensible character motivations (mostly Seymour), and lack of a proper overworld really stand out. I enjoyed the game, but it was flawed in ways that would only stand out more with subsequent entries.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-03-04 18:39:00 »
True, but that's like saying Goldeneye was bad because it popularized the FPS genre.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-03-04 20:10:19 »
I'm saying it's imperfect for reasons that would be exacerbated in later entries. It's like saying Call of Duty 4 is bad because it popularized the things about the FPS genre that aren't actually good.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-03-04 20:30:04 »
I thought X was a brilliant game and it at least added some things, if it took others away, like controlling Aeons.  It was packed with stuff to do, and I cared about the characters and story.  After that, it all went wrong imho.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 2014-03-04 20:37:39 »
I get what Covarr is saying. All FF games have aspects I enjoy, but at the same time introduced poorer qualities which get exacerbated from there forward. I completely agree with his points on FFX; voice acting and linearity are the ones that strike me as poorly done game elements that have continued in the series and are embodied as "core" elements now. FFXIII very much improved on the voice acting, but then stifled its potential storytelling impacts with way too much CGI eye candy.

1 step forward, 2 steps back is how I view it.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-03-04 20:50:22 »
I believe X was far from Linear.  Yeah you were restricted in the beginning but when you got the air ship you can still do stuff leading up to the final battle.  Linear games give you no such freedom.  Not trying to say you have no idea what you are talking about but 10 had very little restrictions if at all.  I'm not trying to say ten is perfect or what not but it introduced me to the series so I feel I have to come to its defense a little.  I think ten gets to much crap then it deserves.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #46 on: 2014-03-04 21:07:18 »
I still hate Tidus as a character...

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 2014-03-04 21:20:11 »
I believe X was far from Linear.  Yeah you were restricted in the beginning but when you got the air ship you can still do stuff leading up to the final battle.  Linear games give you no such freedom.  Not trying to say you have no idea what you are talking about but 10 had very little restrictions if at all.  I'm not trying to say ten is perfect or what not but it introduced me to the series so I feel I have to come to its defense a little.  I think ten gets to much crap then it deserves.

If it's what introduced you to the series, than your opinion is fair enough. I was introduced with IV (NA FFII for SNES), although I never was big into the series until VII. The huge difference for me between FF games prior to X and X+ is the lack of a world map. X was somewhat of a hybrid of this, given that you could choose marked places on a static map and jump between the different levels. The world maps prior to X allowed interaction, making it a level in itself. You could move characters freely and it always had enemy and boss encounters to deal with. In many cases, doing something on the world map required progression in the game or it contained some of the best well hidden secrets.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-03-05 01:19:58 »
*NA FFIII for SNES*

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-03-05 01:47:33 »
If it's what introduced you to the series, than your opinion is fair enough. I was introduced with IV (NA FFII for SNES), although I never was big into the series until VII. The huge difference for me between FF games prior to X and X+ is the lack of a world map. X was somewhat of a hybrid of this, given that you could choose marked places on a static map and jump between the different levels. The world maps prior to X allowed interaction, making it a level in itself. You could move characters freely and it always had enemy and boss encounters to deal with. In many cases, doing something on the world map required progression in the game or it contained some of the best well hidden secrets.
I see what you mean now yeah that was a big difference but one that wasn't a big issue even looking back on it now.  Tidus could use some work yeah but atleast he is a little better then Cloud emotion and confidence wise.