Author Topic: [Dissidia] Models - Viewer and Extractor Tool by MrAdults (2009-04-08)  (Read 150844 times)

koral

PLEASE NOTE

MrAdults is no longer a member of the Quimms community, because of certain members in this forum who did not care for his contributions, nor care for his opinions.

Had any decent Moderation intervened, things may have not escalated to such drastic measures.

For any who wish to learn more of the whys and hows, read this topic and make your own conclusions:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8554.0

As a consequence of his departure, do not expect anymore help or any more updates here.

---------------

Original post: 23 May 2009

This is the where all discussion regarding viewing and extracting models from the PSP game FF Dissidia should be discussed, to keep everything nice and easy to find.
If anyone has anything interesting to share, or some potential data files worth looking at, then please post about them here.

Have a nice day  :-D

Dissidia Wiki: http://wiki.qhimm.com/Dissidia
GMO Specs: http://wiki.qhimm.com/User:Ukurere

EDIT: 29 March 2009

MrAdults single-handedly decoded the entire GMO model format and his tool can view and extract Character and Location models!
Link to blog: http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?postid=33

Tool and what's-new/how-to-use here:
http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?postid=33

It seems to work fine with environmental models and stuff too. There is one bug that I only just noticed, which is that sometimes pure static geometry that is symmetrical will get half of itself culled out. I believe they use a surface flag to indicate those surfaces and re-render them with inverse axis coordinates, to save on vertex space. But, I haven't gotten around to finding that flag yet. The only one of the characters that are affected from what I've been able to tell is Bartz. His cape must be "static" for some reason, maybe it's because there's special code handling to animate the verts or something. But generally, since characters are point-weighted, that optimization can't take place on them.

I think that's everything. Enjoy. :)

This fixes that command line switch, and in models with multiple sub-models, you can push enter in preview mode to cycle through them.

And finally, there is a new release (v1.93) of mesh2rdm up now, here:
http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php&filemirror=mesh2rdmv193.zip

As it turned out, lots of surfaces still weren't showing up, like some clothing bits and chains hanging off of characters and weapons. I think I've cleared up pretty much all of the problems now, except for a messed up texture here and there.

The format specification (as much as is currently known) has been documented here http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?postid=34
Thankyou MrAdults:-D

EDIT: 08 April 2009

Ukurere has shared his past experiences working with the GMO model files (the same ones in Dissidia) and working with MrAdults, is Wikifying the complete format here:
http://wiki.qhimm.com/User:Ukurere
 :-D

And some pointers about EXTRACTING MODELS using MrAdults mesh2rdm tool:

I use Start -> Run -> Cmd and do all operations this way.
In cmd simply navigate to the path where you have mesh2rdm. Hope that helps.

Aurenasek already mentioned it, but you can use the Start->Run menu and enter "cmd" (without quotes) to bring up a command prompt. Then cd to your model directory where you have a copy of the gmo and mesh2rdm.exe and run it with the desired parameters. You may have to seek out a DOS command reference if you aren't used to using a command prompt, though. :)

I'm using a .bat file that I edit for every file I want to export, here it is if you want to use it:

mesh2rdm File003761.gmo Kefka.smd -dissskip 1 -texpre Kefka -rotate -90 0 0 -scale 1.0 -smdout

That line will export you god form kefka ;P
« Last Edit: 2014-07-17 20:48:11 by Covarr »

ultima espio

• View Profile
Re: Dissidia Models...
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-17 23:25:00 »
Neo has all the charactes textures, i guess thats a start..

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-17 23:56:18 »
Well, actually, a fried of mine (Who, coincidentally, knows Qhimm himself) is pretty talented at all this extracting and exporting stuff.
If you want, I can ask him to Extract the models for us, and get all the textures. the models, obviously, wont be viewable unless a viewer is available though.

Some texture samples:

MrAdults

« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-18 00:00:05 »
I wonder if the models are also stored in native PSP GPU vertex list format. If they are, figuring them out could be a pretty fast process, with the info koral and I have uncovered on the Crisis Core models.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-03-18 00:10:01 »
There are actually a few textures I had in mind when I suggested this to koral...(via PM)

I particularly like the Ultima weapon model, Kuja, maybe Squall's SeeD uniform...

I can't remember all of them... but mainly those.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2009-03-18 00:13:09 »
Well, i guess i'll have a chat with carey then, see if he can get some models for you guys to have a look at  :wink:

koral

« Reply #6 on: 2009-03-18 18:50:17 »
Cool, thanks NeoCloud! Looking forward to it  :-)

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-03-23 06:11:57 »
If anyone is interested in trying to make a viewer I could send a few Dissidia models, since like I've stated before in crisis core topic, I have no idea of coding :P

MrAdults

« Reply #8 on: 2009-03-23 10:25:09 »
No promises for the immedate future, as I'm still recovering from my Silent Hill format binge, but sure. Feel free to send them on over.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-03-23 10:34:08 »
Let me pack them up then and upload, I'll send you a PM with link as soon as it's done uploading.

PS. Want all model files or just a few random ones? All of them are around 240 megs unpacked. (Which means they most likely contain texture data)
« Last Edit: 2009-03-23 10:43:42 by Aurenasek116 »

MrAdults

« Reply #10 on: 2009-03-23 11:09:52 »
The more the merrier. :) But if you have trouble uploading that much data, feel free to just put up as many as you like.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-03-23 11:12:54 »
Actually I was afraid you might not want too many :P So I guess we both share the same opinion on this - GET'EM ALL.
I'll post link here then as soon as it's done uploading, my network is a bit overloaded at the moment so it will take around 30 mins or so.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-23 11:16:42 by Aurenasek116 »

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-03-23 11:19:09 »
Yes, I only need a few specifically, but the more we can get the better.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: 2009-03-23 16:03:01 »
I guess i'll take a look at 'em too. my limited knowledge of everything might come in handy xD
EDIT: Immediately i can see that models start with bone labels...
Then model segment labels? I can see stuff like "p_one100" and "p_one100_wep0" I'm guessing This means i'm in the model for an FF1 character, considering I know cloud's model is called "p_sev100"...

EDIT2: yeah, models have "P_xxxyyy" "P_xxxyyy_wep0" and "P_xxxyyy_wep1" labels. now i've never even played dissidia, but from what i understand, each version of a character has a player model, and 2 weapons (that limit break thing)

EDIT3: then it does something like 2 bytes being "XX 10" and then 2 bytes being "04 00", and this repeats for a while. "XX" seems to be rising every time it comes round, but not in any order O.o

I'm probably just pointing out the obvious here, but i wanna know if anyone can make sense of this.

EDIT4: after this, theres loads of data, and loads of them have this "approximately 00 00 80 3F" thing going on. now after THAT, the bone labels start up again. and after THEM, body parts are labeled ("hair", "cheek" stuff like that)
« Last Edit: 2009-03-23 16:32:27 by NeoCloudstrife »

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-03-23 16:14:38 »
I did hex through them and I can confirm they contain mesh, skeletal and texture data. The lines starting with GimConv are probably texture headers seeing as default texture format used in dissidia is .gim.

That's all that I can tell since coding is not my thing.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-23 17:09:10 by Aurenasek116 »

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-03-23 16:47:40 »
near the bottom I noticed a lot of instances of "f_curve" going on... I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds like either an animation queue or some type of solid modeling function (as opposed to polygonal) which seems to make no sense...

It could be a stored method that is called when the player slashes a wall and the slash damage sprite needs to be bent to fit the shape of the wall... no real plausible ideas though...

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: 2009-03-23 17:49:43 »
I did hex through them and I can confirm they contain mesh, skeletal and texture data. The lines starting with GimConv are probably texture headers seeing as default texture format used in dissidia is .gim.

That's all that I can tell since coding is not my thing.

actually, Each Model segment has 2 textures, neither of which are .gim
Texture files are stored uncompressed as both TGA and TM2
...i think, anyway.

koral

Re: Dissidia Models
« Reply #18 on: 2009-03-23 18:03:51 »
Now if the CrisesCore debug-menu wasn't distracting enough...  :lol:

Thankyou for uploading the files Aurenasek116, I will have a look at them sometime.
Just cannot resist the temptation  :-D

PS: I edited the first post now to make it a little friendlier.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-03-23 19:58:08 »
I won't say I don't have my own interest in that, so no problem there. I crave so much to get Kefka and shove him into JK3 :P

MrAdults

« Reply #20 on: 2009-03-23 21:29:45 »
Thanks for putting those up, I've got them now. Will have a look later on.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-03-24 13:29:15 »
Take your time, nobody's rushing :P

koral

« Reply #22 on: 2009-03-24 21:54:14 »
I had a quick look at the files too, and they are abosultely nothing like the (nice and simple) CC models, so we are going to have to start from scratch with this one  :-P

The data seems to be quite well organised, and all the different components are uniquely named, which makes things a little bit easier.
I thought I saw some "xx.tga" ascii too, but I didn't think PSP could decode TGA files? They might represent some other kind of Dissidia-specific format.

Aren't GIM files suppsed to be equivalent to GIF, as in animated textures? I remember seeing them used for PS3 themes and stuff, so it feels out of character for them to be used as normal textures. Probably they are just for things like blinking and mouth moving animations.

The actual vertex data might be same as CC (probably should be too) but it wouldn't be smart to jump right in without trying to understand what else is in those files and what the file header says about offsets.
There might be no need for offsets, because we could skip to the named sections directly in most cases, they sound like they might be the same in most of the other files too.

It's a whole new can of worms  :-D

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-03-24 22:08:42 »
Trust me, GIM is short for Generic Image (Or atleast that's what I was told), I'm using a simple converter written by kind people of alucard.cc which converts dissidia gim files into png/tga/dds or whatever other format you want, so we can be 100% sure those are textures.

If you want, I could put up a package with tools written by people of alucard.cc (Mainly by a guy named Vash - credits go to him) so you could use them :)

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2009-03-24 23:52:12 »
O.o weird, apparently they're just uncompressed tga images in the model files...
perhaps he was wrong then...
but then how would you explain the .tga labels? or the tm2 ones?