Author Topic: Just bought FF7 Platinum, can't get it to run properly  (Read 5873 times)

DarthMarasmus

• View Profile
System specs:  2.93 GHz Celeron, 1 GB Corsair RAM, 80 GB HDD, GeForce FX 5500 256 MB PCI , running Windows XP Home

When I try to start the game, the entire screen blacks out normally like it does when starting any other game.  However, it plays the Eidos logo music (I guess, I can't see anything), but the screen stays black, I can't Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Esc, or anything else.  The only thing I can do is just hold the power button until the machine turns off.

I had already tried patching it with the 1.02 patch, I fiddled with the software and hardware render modes, etc., all to no avail.

If this is covered in the FAQ, sorry, I guess I just didn't make it that far.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2007-04-07 07:22:59 by DarthMarasmus »

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought FF7 Platinum, can't get it to run properly
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-07 07:50:56 »
Well i cant help with the problem itself but i can help with exiting it. See before i started using kimera it used to go to black screen alot when i was testing. So try pressing the windows key once then the up arrow twice then press enter twice, and that should switch user wich will take you back to the log on screen :-). Just a bit of help for when your testing it and you don't want to be constantly restarting.

DarthMarasmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-07 14:37:47 »
Yeah, I didn't figure that the constant restarting was good for the computer.  Will that work if there's only one account on the computer?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-07 15:05:00 »
Try pressing Alt+F4, that should exit FF7. If that doesnt work, try Ctrl+Alt+Del, then press F to switch to ff7.exe (if you're in processes tab) then Del and Enter to quit the process. (Hope that theres no other process starting with F)
The windows button + L has the same effect as what squeeble explained.

DarthMarasmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-04-07 15:17:23 »
Squeeble's suggestion worked, at least now I won't be destroying the computer.  No offense, but you really haven't gotten me closer to solving the problem, though I am grateful for the way out that doesn't involve lobotomizing my computer. 

Is there a patch or something I've missed?  I saw the note that the XP patch was crap.  I had that installed before I came here, but I uninstalled it and used the 1.02 patch from Eidos.  I've tried using RivaTuner and changing the settings in the Configuration utility that came with the game, but I'm still only getting the same black screen.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-04-07 19:03:55 »
Sounds a bit like a Codec probelm. Have you installed TrueMotion 2.0 codec?

lparcshinoda

• The story never ends ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-04-08 00:44:32 »
I suggest Truemotion codec and ffdshow disabling on truemotion codified videos and it should be allright ;) let us know

DarthMarasmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-04-09 21:28:47 »
Okay, TrueMotion 2.0 worked, thanks for the help guys!

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-04-11 09:50:10 »
I know it is a little bit Off-Topic.. But what exactly is the difference between the Platinum Edition and the Normal one? I couldn't find anything on the internet beside the PLaystation Platinum Edition.
I only own the normal one (I guess) so I wouldn't know...

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-04-12 14:17:29 »
My best quess is that only the names differ.
Can you even imagine that they will sell NORMAL game that was sold ten years ago? UNIMAGINABLE for the market! You have to use shiny words for attention. You have to DO SOMETHING to make profit for god's sake!!! There are so many dumb people out there you have to fool around.

Remember the rule of master thief:
If every citizen of the USA gives you one dollar, you would become one of the richest men. The question is how to fool them to give you that dollar.

B Tizo

• Reliving the Fantasy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-04-13 08:52:48 »
There is no difference, as far as I can tell.  I'm believe the Platinum Edition is more like a "Classic" label.  On the back of my packaging it has pictures of other games like the original Tomb Raider "Platinum Edition."  I think it's just a repackaging. 

But... it does roll of the tongue... Platinum.... :-)