Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Rebirth Flame v1.3 - Character Texture Replacement  (Read 317845 times)

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Rebirth Flame v1.3
Character Texture Replacement (Steam Only)

(Updated: 5/2/17)

Downloads:

(v1.0) https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgw60jvsld4amhc/Rebirth%20Flame%20v1.0%20%28Beta%29.zip?dl=0

(v1.1) https://www.dropbox.com/s/quisefenyfrqpo3/Rebirth%20Flame%20v1.1%20%28Beta%29.zip?dl=0

(v1.2) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdR1gxYjFnckQ1ck0/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-_5bdGINKU7lnpbi7ec2xxw

(v1.3) Mago: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdLUpza3BQelk5ckk/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-mDf09ZbfjRBgPEpmbTRHcQ
           Devina: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdNWEyUFdjVWtnTHM/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-8ZsPRG4xg6j0TNgshKAfZQ
           Upscaled: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdWE8yVVVMZnlKVE0/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-ZdnsMMStVzg3P6cK78XfGQ

This mod was originally on Shunsq's BerryMapper topic and also part of Mortael's Project Lionheart. All credit should really go to those projects since they were the starting points. I've simply helped expand upon them. Now due to the increasing size, the mod has been moved to this thread. This will make it much easier for people to help contribute, point out errors, and just make things simpler overall for everyone. And please remember that this mod is still in beta, so bugs are going to occur.

Now, as stated, the goal of this mod is to replace the main character's textures. And perhaps NPCs and lesser characters if we get that far. :D As it stands, the character's replaced so far are Squall, Rinoa, Zell, Selphie, Quistis, Irvine, and Seifer. Though, some of the uniforms and Rinoa's party dress aren't completed yet. Laguna, Fujin, and Ultimecia are only partially done. All the various character textures you'll see are originally made by Magochocobo. So all credit to him for that!

Ex: Squall's Texture (Old & New)

Original Mago Textures:

Devina Edits:

Upscaled:

Video Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW4uvwsKlOo

1.   Download Tonberry v1.61 or later http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15945.0
2.   Install Tonberry and all of it's components
3.   Pick your preferred pack, unzip the folder provided, and place "ch" into the "textures" folder.
4.   Place "RebirthFlame_hm" into the "hashmap" folder.

You should be good to go after this.

Note: There are a few versions of Squall(low poly and high poly) within the texture folder. You can pick and choose which ones you like by renaming them.

Make sure to disable the Steam Overlay to prevent any crashes.

Known Bugs: Possible disappearing NPCs, party members, objects and reverting textures. If any are found, please let me know so I can fix it.

Special thanks:

Omzy - For creating Tonberry.
JeMaCheHi and maverick - For helping/currently improving Tonberry.
Shunsq - For the BerryMapper tool and getting this project going.
Mortael - For Project Lionheart which inspired me to start helping out.
Magochocobo - The awesome character textures, off course.
Devina, Crestian, and Yagami Light - For helping with the textures.
Mcindus - For being a big help to me and improving my sqbandage texture.
Mirrorman95 - For applying Devina's eye textures to Mago's and sending it to me for the pack.
Jacey - Without you, I probably would've never started helping with this. Thank you for everything, buddy.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-10 17:14:51 by FatedCourage »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Finally! A release thread!  Great job! I love the dedication!  If you need any help testing, texturing, porting mago's textures, hashing, or anything else - just let me know!

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
Nicely done and congrats, also nice picture what system do you play on?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Finally! A release thread!  Great job! I love the dedication!  If you need any help testing, texturing, porting mago's textures, hashing, or anything else - just let me know!
Thanks! I kept putting it off because I got too obsessed with hashing. :P Thanks for the offer! Though, I'm sure you're busy with your own projects. As it stands, I really want to obtain all the hashcodes for the current characters we have. Which will probably be the longest process of all this. I'll work on other characters codes if any artists make textures for them.

Nicely done and congrats, also nice picture what system do you play on?
Thank you. System...?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
About the hashing.... are you sure you need all of those hash codes?   Can you pm me the original bit maps? Im going to test through all of the objmap codes and on any collision,  I'll try to find the colliding texture and fix the issue.  (Maybe even just upscale it) i think we might both be able to dump our hashmaps for this mod and lunar cry.  (Do you have the matching "eyes closed" bitmaps?)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I can't say for certain, actually. I do know they yield less glitches. Except for a few exceptions. But those are easily remedied. But the debug process is quite painful to sit through for those. While I can fix disappearing NPCs for the objmaps, I haven't found a way to fix the disappearing party members. Er...I don't have the original bitmaps for the objmap since my computer upgrade. I could probably gather them all back up tonight, though. Especially since that's much easier for me to do. If you could come up with a solution and we could dump them, that'd be great.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
PS4 xbox one or pc?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
PS4 xbox one or pc?
Despite owning a PS4, I play on PC.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I can't say for certain, actually. I do know they yield less glitches. Except for a few exceptions. But those are easily remedied. But the debug process is quite painful to sit through for those. While I can fix disappearing NPCs for the objmaps, I haven't found a way to fix the disappearing party members. Er...I don't have the original bitmaps for the objmap since my computer upgrade. I could probably gather them all back up tonight, though. Especially since that's much easier for me to do. If you could come up with a solution and we could dump them, that'd be great.

Try this for the missing party member:

Go to the location where the glitch is happening.
Put Tonberry in Debug mode/get textures just for this one scene!
Instead of opening the 'nomatch' folder, open 'replaced' and look for the bitmap that has the missing Character, which will also have one of the other Characters that is on the same texture bitmap.  Now go to whatever .png you made originally and add that Character to the opposite side (top/bottom) of the .png so that it looks like the bitmap you found in 'noreplace'  This should be the fix you're looking for.

Let me know if that made sense.... lol

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Try this for the missing party member:

Go to the location where the glitch is happening.
Put Tonberry in Debug mode/get textures just for this one scene!
Instead of opening the 'nomatch' folder, open 'replaced' and look for the bitmap that has the missing Character, which will also have one of the other Characters that is on the same texture bitmap.  Now go to whatever .png you made originally and add that Character to the opposite side (top/bottom) of the .png so that it looks like the bitmap you found in 'noreplace'  This should be the fix you're looking for.

Let me know if that made sense.... lol

Oh, no, I get what you're saying. And, you see, you'd think that'd make sense... But because objmap codes extend over a big chunk of areas for the low poly characters, it fixes some things while causing problems with others. Like, if I use the way you suggest, it fixes Zell and the guards are no longer kicking the invisible man. But in doing so, you end up with things like this.

And you can't really fix that because both areas share the same objmap code. So they can't be separated...I don't think. It could be because of this odd texture setup, too.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
For what exact reason is this mod Steam-only?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
For what exact reason is this mod Steam-only?

It needs the new directx9 interface.

Mortael

• View Profile
Great work, really well done! ^.^

Feel free to add this to the pack:

« Last Edit: 2015-03-27 13:11:20 by Mortael »

Kazter

• View Profile
Just wanted to say thanks, looks and works great opposite Lunar Cry!

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Great work, really well done! ^.^

Feel free to add this to the pack:

Thank you. I've actually had that in the pack since you first made it. And I also made a student uniform one to go along with it for this release. :D

Just wanted to say thanks, looks and works great opposite Lunar Cry!

You are welcome and thank you. Just be weary that bugs are still a thing right now. And there could possibly be a few with this mod and Lunar Cry. So if there is, let us know.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-27 15:57:41 by FatedCourage »

Kazter

• View Profile
It's funny you should mention Bugs, I actually came across one late in my evening when I made it to Disc 2.  During the D-District Prison when Zell is your main character, he is both missing when "Mean Guy" is kicking him (which was absolutely hilarious) and also while running around the various floors as your Party Leader, you simply see his shadow.  Battle Field was unaffected and functioned normally.

At work right now, but let me know what I need to do to help us both.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
It's funny you should mention Bugs, I actually came across one late in my evening when I made it to Disc 2.  During the D-District Prison when Zell is your main character, he is both missing when "Mean Guy" is kicking him (which was absolutely hilarious) and also while running around the various floors as your Party Leader, you simply see his shadow.  Battle Field was unaffected and functioned normally.

At work right now, but let me know what I need to do to help us both.

Yeah... That's one I've been wracking my brain over to figure out. For the most part, I think I have a solution to most disappearing characters. But there are a few exceptions...and that's one of them right now. Just let me know if you come across any more spots where characters disappear on you. That way I can try out this method in those spots to see if it solves anything.

Kazter

• View Profile
Had it happen again, but only briefly during the Galbadia Missile Base.  While Selphie is your Main Character and in disguise, upon completing all the objectives in the base and walking up the stairs to the control room (still in disguise).  Selphie is missing, but still casts a shadow.  As soon as they take off the disguises she reappears.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
This STEAM user is editing Squall :P

https://steamcommunity.com/id/farila/screenshots/

It's fine if people want to edit them for personal use. Granted, they give credit to the original artist if ever given out. Though, it would be nice to see what they could do or even help out. But hey. To each their own.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
She's a friend. I suggested her to post any work done here. :)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
She's a friend. I suggested her to post any work done here. :)

Oh, I see. Well, if they do, the more the merrier!

satansof2

• View Profile
got a question on the pack, you said we could use which ever squall we want, low or high poly, well im kinda new at this so i am wondering if you could tell me which one is default (which on it uses when i just put the files in the folders) and what i need to do to change it to just use one? i noticed you said to rename them, but i dont know which one to rename XD (been having a glitch where squalls textures pop in and out, like its using the old ones and then switchs back to new ones, so i think this might be the issue)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
got a question on the pack, you said we could use which ever squall we want, low or high poly, well im kinda new at this so i am wondering if you could tell me which one is default (which on it uses when i just put the files in the folders) and what i need to do to change it to just use one? i noticed you said to rename them, but i dont know which one to rename XD (been having a glitch where squalls textures pop in and out, like its using the old ones and then switchs back to new ones, so i think this might be the issue)

The default ones always end with "_13". So, all you need to do is have the one you like end with that and name the ones you aren't using with some other number afterwards like "_131, _132, etc". For consistency, you'll need to pick the matching textures in all the Squall folders and set them to default "_13". Except for the world ones. As for the blinking textures... That shouldn't be happening. Is it only Squall that does this?

mavirick

• View Profile
If anyone is having trouble with certain character replacements, it may be due to the objmap.csv file I accidentally included in the Tonberry 2.03 release. This file was from an early pre-release version of Rebirth Flame and contains different texture names than the newer versions. If both objmap.csv and RebirthFlame_obj.csv contain duplicate hash codes, the former will take precedence and prevent the latter from loading.

If you have a file called 'objmap.csv' in your \tonberry\objmap directory, it should be deleted!

Edit: no longer an issue with Tonberry v2.04
« Last Edit: 2015-04-16 03:26:51 by mavirick »