Author Topic: [FF7] Disable name change  (Read 13986 times)

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
[FF7] Disable name change
« on: 2016-08-23 00:43:48 »
Is it possible to disable the ability to rename any characters?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7] Disable name change
« Reply #1 on: 2016-08-23 01:02:02 »
Yes, you just remove the menu rename operation.  You should check the code with Makou and you'll answer 99% of your questions.

When those operations are removed, you can set defaults (found in kernel.bin). It's important to realize that the defaults before naming come from kernel (ts only allows a few of these entries to be renamed). I am not sure if Wallmarket allows you to edit these entries.  If not, you'll have to hex edit, assuming you need the original game names changing.  If not, just delete the rename menu operation in all relevant fields.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-23 01:28:02 »
And this is possible in MR?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-23 01:47:16 »
Makou cannot edit Kernel.bin - but can do everything associated with the field.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-08-23 16:33:58 »
Good luck playing through the entire game as EX-SOLDIER

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-23 16:46:12 »
That would have to be changed to Cloud in kernel - so you'd definitely have to lose the Ex-Soldier part.  tS does allow that entry to be changed, so wouldn't need any messing about at least.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-23 21:59:34 »
But you'd be stuck with Cait Sith being called "Young Cloud" and Vincent being called "Sephiroth".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-23 22:55:10 »
But you'd be stuck with Cait Sith being called "Young Cloud" and Vincent being called "Sephiroth".

Now, that is a problem :P

But there is a solution...  see blackbg4 > 11 Yufi > talk > Byte 216

You can set names from text entries in field :)  That will mean no kernel change needed either. Just delete the naming opcode and use the one above.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-24 01:46:53 »
Don't quote me on this, but I think the name change menu is necessary in order to make Young Cloud and Sephiroth become Cait Sh*t and Vincent respectively. At least I couldn't make this happen by any other means, and the debug rooms don't achieve this either. It's either the name change menu or some hardcoded crap for the relevant fields, I believe. Again, don't quote me on this.

On another note, the name change menu appears to be what initially calculates the party's average level. This became apparent when I removed the name changes for Cloud and Barret; Barret was level 1 at the first reactor mission because the party's average level had not been calculated yet, thus he was left with the defaults from kernel.bin.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-24 02:57:26 »
See my post above. The name screen is not needed.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-24 14:25:03 »
See my post above. The name screen is not needed.

Sure, you can make the names change for each and every field in the entire game, I know what you meant.

What I meant is the characters sharing slots. If, for example, you put Vincent in the party while he still has Sephiroth's data in his slot, you will end up with an invisible character that dies instantly upon entering battle. I think the name entry menu is what makes the game update his character data. The same is true for Cait.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-24 15:28:02 »
the menu itself does not make them work its the character id change that happens when their data is created . yes i said created since they are scaled to your level and do not join at a fixed level their starts are made on the fly . the rest of the data is not .

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #12 on: 2016-08-24 15:46:45 »
I don't really understand any of this ....  Is there a way right. Their default names come up straight away once the rename menu opens right. Can i use MR to enter a command or 2 to happen automatically where. If rename menu opens. Press Esc + Enter and then it will skip it itself right? You'll still see it but you won't have any control. Like a Tutorial

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-08-24 15:58:54 »
Sure, you can make the names change for each and every field in the entire game, I know what you meant.

No, that isn't how it works - the names can be set from text and then they are ok for the entirety of the game.  You are setting the name from text using an operation that was only used originally in the debug menu.  You can choose when to use it.  Just before getting Cait and Vincent, you'd use it.

@Tsunamix

The default names used in the menu screen are held in the executable (as opposed to the names displayed BEFORE the menu screen, which are held in the kernel (the only four used are EX-SOLDIER, Red XIII [at least I think so], Cloud [using Cait's slot] and Sephiroth [Using Vincent's slot] ). But that won't stop people being able to change the names if you allow the naming screen.

I suppose with a bit of hex editing, you could disable the selection cursor and force them to press OK to every name from that menu.  Or you can do what I suggested and remove the menu entirely and use the operation that sets the name from text.

So to sum up:

Choice 1:  Allow naming screen but hex edit so they are forced to press OK to the default name (held in the executable - These can be renamed by touphScript too)

Choice 2: Force the name from field text itself (just before you gain the character) - and remove the Naming menu entirely (this means removing the naming screen operation in the relevant field and adding the operation I directed you to in the above post).
« Last Edit: 2016-08-24 16:19:56 by DLPB »

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #14 on: 2016-08-24 16:10:53 »
I'll give choice 2 a go. After messing around with this stuff before i dunno if ill be able to work this out but i'll try anyway

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-08-24 16:19:05 »
Just look at the example in the flevel from the post above.

Start by adding a text entry to the relevant field like "My Name"  - Then use that operation to latch that entry onto the character - and remove the normal Name screen operation.  It should work.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-08-24 21:06:39 »
No, that isn't how it works - the names can be set from text and then they are ok for the entirety of the game.  You are setting the name from text using an operation that was only used originally in the debug menu.  You can choose when to use it.  Just before getting Cait and Vincent, you'd use it.

If you take the time to use that function in each and every field, that's exactly how it works. :P I know which function you are referring to, I've used it many times. In that context, when you say you can choose when to use it is also what I meant in my previous post. If you want Cloud to be called, for example, John in one field and Elizabeth in the next, it is possible with this.

@sithlord

I don't suppose you'd be able to tell me how make the field script force the character ID to change, then? Because the Create/Delete character opcode, which is commonly used to make characters available, is definitely not what activates the ID change.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-08-24 21:29:14 »
Why would you need to change it in every field though?  He only wants to remove the naming screen of the character on one field. The field for each character in question.  So you'd only need to change around 9 fields?

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #18 on: 2016-08-24 21:40:55 »
I'll explain as best i can. Im making a voices mod. So every actor is going to at some point say someone's name, which is a problem because you can rename people. I just want all names to be forced to be canon so the voices won't be wrong

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-08-24 21:47:40 »
Then my suggestions should work fine. 

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-08-24 21:54:54 »
Why would you need to change it in every field though?  He only wants to remove the naming screen of the character on one field. The field for each character in question.  So you'd only need to change around 9 fields?

Just for shits and giggles? I never said you need to do it, I'm merely stating that it's possible.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #21 on: 2016-08-25 17:12:05 »
go look in to how cait and vincent are added .. the field may not be able to access that varible .things become really complicated in FF7 when you talk about what module can really see data from another one..
**the machine im on doesn't have makou or a way for me to build / run it quick and i lack ff7 data atm** i can look around if i get time later..

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2016-08-25 19:20:22 »
They are added same as any member - it's probably just that they acquire the same slot as cloud / sep automatically - hard coded.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2016-08-25 23:07:57 »
Alright, gentlemen, I just tested my theory on a clean save file (and a clean Debug Room, which I have repurposed for my own experiments), and I was right. The one thing that creates the data for Cait and Vincent, is the name entry screen. That's just how it is. Opcode CD unlocks a character, but it doesn't change their data in any way. You need the name screen operation to create the data for Cait and Vincent, or they won't work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2016-08-25 23:33:21 »
Then that's a problem.   Although there are built in menu functions that may be able to do it without the name screen.  If not, there's no way around it really.