Author Topic: [Release] FF7Music exe files  (Read 15850 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
[Release] FF7Music exe files
« on: 2011-03-20 20:11:06 »
This is just a small release. This is something that I use and I thought perhaps some of you might find this useful.
Here are 3 exe files, a reg file, a batch file for disc switching, and 3 uncompiled batch files that are the same as the exe files, so in total there are 8 files

The .exe files are slightly modified versions of the batch file that comes with FF7 music. The small modification will allow you to run the game without having to insert or mount a disc.
There is one .exe for each disc and they are clearly labeled. The reg file will set your FF7 DataDrive to C:\ if its not already, this is required for the .exe(s) to work, but you can edit the batch files to use whichever drive you like. I included dsic switching batch file because I decided its a good way to switch discs while in game. This batch file was written by Kranmer and I also wanna thank him for helping me understand how to modify the ff7music batch file in the way that I wanted. All credit for the original ff7music.bat script goes to Fidecula or Covarr, I don't know which one these guys wrote it.

why .exe? well because its the only way I can use FF7 with the steam overlay

http://www.mediafire.com/?qb6o87ah6yc2ko4

Instructions and Troubleshooting
Place the .exe files and/or the 3 corresponding batch files into your FF7 install folder. In order for the exe to work you must have a full install of the game and a C:/ drive, however the game does not have to be installed to the C:/ drive, you just need it present on your machine. Also you need to have FF7Music installed in your Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ so if you used the installer you'll have to move it, which might cause FF7Music to stop working, but its easily fixable. So to fix it if it stops working you'll have to use a registry editor and go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FF7Music and modify the only entry there and change it to wherever you moved ff7music.exe, for example D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\. Also you must either be using DLPB's fmv restoration or you must manually move the fmv movies from your game disc to your Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ folder and set the movie path in a registry editor. You cannot skip this step or the exe's wont work. You won't need to do this if your using the fmv restoration as it should do this automatically but if your moving the movies from the disc manually then you'll have to edit the registry again so in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\ modify the MoviePath to wherever you moved your movies to.

Be sure when editing the registry to always end your entry with a \ and don't just leasve it open at the end or it won't work properly.

To use the disc switch batch file written by Kranmer is very simple. It will ask you two questions first it will ask for a drive letter. So if you have your DataDrive set up to C:\ then you would simply type C and hit enter. Then it will ask you to press 1, 2 or 3 and then hit enter, and this will switch the drive to disk 1, 2 or 3 respectively depending on which disc you want to use. I only use it to switch disks during the game, since the exe will auto start whichever disc you choose but this is very handy tool.

How this works is, if you have a full install of the game the only thing loading from the disc are the movies. So if you run the movies from your hardrive as well then the only thing it will be looking for is the name of the drive that the DataDrive reg entry is set to. The names it looks for are FF7DISC1, FF7DISC2, or FF7DISC3. So the exe file will auto rename drive C to either FF7DISC1, FF7DISC2, or FF7DISC3 depending on which one you click in order to make the game think the disc is loaded, then it will start ff7music.exe and then finally the game itself.

This will not change anything in your drive, only the name of it, and if you use the batch files you can rename whichever drive you want to. It doesn't matter as long you have it set up properly in the registry you can use any disc on your machine.

Hope this is helpful! Also if you would like an .exe file setup to work for a different drive besides see you can use a program such as Quick Batch File Compiler (its not free) to compile the batch files however you want them. If you can't use the program I would be happy to compile an exe for any drive you would like. It only takes a second and I'd be happy to do it.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:02:01 by yarLson »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] FF7Music exe files
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-20 20:19:36 »
I see that you are using some of my advices and tricks to do that. This is great. Covarr isn't the author of FF7Music, he just compiled it. Ficedula did write it. I can safely assume that any troubleshooting would be fast to resolve. I would be the one who will try to help people the most. Need a modified Batch file? No prob. Some files don't work? I'm your man. You get the point, I believe. Writing Batch Files is both easy and fun for me.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-20 20:23:55 »
some help troubleshooting would be great, although I tried to avoid most of the common errors by writing a detailed instructional, I just hope it makes sense XD

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-20 20:28:28 »
Nice work :), my AVG virus scanner does detect this as a virus but im pretty sure its not (AVG seems to detect nearly everything as a virus),
also i did make some small changes to that BAT script i posted, it should now be
Code: [Select]
:input
set DRIVE=
set /P DRIVE=Type drive letter: %=%
set INPUT=
set /P INPUT=Type drive name: %=%
if "%INPUT%"=="" goto input
label %DRIVE%: %INPUT%
so sorry about that  :'(

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-20 20:30:28 »
oh its okay I can just update and reupload, so whats changed?

*edit*
and its already updated  8-)
by the way I can assure all of you that this is no way shape or form a virus. There is nothing different about the exe and the bat files other than the fact that they are compiled. Darn AVG hahaha
« Last Edit: 2011-03-20 20:35:00 by yarLson »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-20 20:37:04 »
Well i changed 2 things (only minor so you don't really need to update if you don't want to)
First i changed the descriptions of the questions to actually ask (so instead of just Type Drive it now says Type drive letter) and the second change was that if nothing is inputted and the user just press enter the script goes back to the beginning,
they are only minor so you wont really need to update if you don't want to but i thought it was worth mentioning.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-20 20:43:13 »
well its too late I already updated haha. You know the only thing I can think of that would make it better is if you could make it enter the disc names automatically like maybe push 1 for FF7DISC1, push 2 for FF7DISC2, push 3 for FF7DISC3 or something to that effect.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-20 20:44:27 »
It's possible, with a set of errorlevel.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-20 20:47:56 »
well if either of you care to give it a shot sometime that would be stellar!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-03-20 21:02:39 »
well its too late I already updated haha. You know the only thing I can think of that would make it better is if you could make it enter the disc names automatically like maybe push 1 for FF7DISC1, push 2 for FF7DISC2, push 3 for FF7DISC3 or something to that effect.

Ok here is a BAT that will first decide what drive you want to change the name of, then the second choice will give you 3 numbers to choose from, type the number and press enter and it will name the drive to that.
@ECHO off
cls
:start
:drive
set DRIVE=
set /P DRIVE=Type drive letter: %=%
if "%DRIVE%"=="" goto drive
ECHO.
ECHO 1. FF7DISC1
ECHO 2. FF7DISC2
ECHO 3. FF7DISC3
set choice=
set /p choice=Type the number to change drive to that name.
if not '%choice%'=='' set choice=%choice:~0,1%
if '%choice%'=='1' goto ff7disc1
if '%choice%'=='2' goto ff7disc2
if '%choice%'=='3' goto ff7disc3
ECHO "%choice%" is not valid, try again
ECHO.
goto start
:ff7disc1
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC1
ECHO RENAMED TO FF7DISC1
goto end
:ff7disc2
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC2
ECHO RENAMED TO FF7DISC2
goto end
:ff7disc3
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC3
ECHO RENAMED TO FF7DISC3
goto end
:end

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-03-20 21:13:51 »
very nice. Its perfect!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-03-20 21:17:55 »
Your welcome :?: , also if you need to you can add a line like "pause" after the "ECHO RENAMED TO FF7DISC1" then the user can press any key to exit instead of it exiting itself (or you could use a line like "ping localhost -n 2 > nul" like in your other BAT's)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:13 by obesebear »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #12 on: 2011-03-20 23:10:20 »
While technically not a no-CD patch, it's as good as. I'm not sure whether this will be sanctioned or shunned by the administrators here. A no-CD patch (which I haven't and won't release so don't ask) that modifies the executable would definitely not be allowed. I suppose this isn't much different from what Game Jackel (RIP) used to do so I can't really condemn this since I used to use that.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:23 by obesebear »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-03-20 23:33:27 »
well I mean its not meant to help piracy. I just put this together for my own convenience after having to manually switch cd's about a million times, I can take it down if need be, but i hope its not a problem. I mean yeah you can play the game without the cd, assuming you can get the game in the first place. As far as I know the only PC version that is widely pirated is that lame Jenova version or whatever the hell it is and I don't think this would even work with that (although I can't say for sure). If there are any problems I will take it down.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:32 by obesebear »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-03-20 23:53:05 »
Well it is already well known around this forum that you can change the registry and rename your C drive to make FF7 think its your CD drive, this does make it easier but even if this mod is banned it wont stop people from using this method (this is posted quite a few times around this forum) but i guess the moderators will be the ones to decide this.
Also yarLson i have had a quick look at your disc .BAT files, and instead of having 3 you could merge them into 1, and instead of having the path set to D:\ and telling people to edit it you could make it figure out where FF7 is automatically, if your interested in that try this BAT
@ECHO off
cls
:start
:drive
set DRIVE=
set /P DRIVE=Type drive letter to rename: %=%
if "%DRIVE%"=="" goto drive
ECHO.
ECHO 1. FF7DISC1
ECHO 2. FF7DISC2
ECHO 3. FF7DISC3
set choice=
set /p choice=Type the number of the Disc you wish to play and press ENTER.
if not '%choice%'=='' set choice=%choice:~0,1%
if '%choice%'=='1' goto ff7disc1
if '%choice%'=='2' goto ff7disc2
if '%choice%'=='3' goto ff7disc3
ECHO "%choice%" is not valid, try again
ECHO.
goto start
:ff7disc1
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC1
start FF7Music.exe
ping localhost -n 2 > nul
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%i IN ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII" /v "AppPath"')   DO @Set FF7DIR="%%j"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%i IN ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII" /v "AppPath"')   DO @Set FF7DIR="%%j"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
start /w ff7.exe"
taskkill /im FF7Music.exe
goto end
:ff7disc2
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC2
start FF7Music.exe
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%i IN ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII" /v "AppPath"')   DO @Set FF7DIR="%%j"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%i IN ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII" /v "AppPath"')   DO @Set FF7DIR="%%j"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
start /w ff7.exe"
goto end
:ff7disc3
label %DRIVE%: FF7DISC3
start FF7Music.exe
CD "%FF7DIR%"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
start /w ff7.exe"
goto end
:end
I basiclly replace your line
CD D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII
with
CD "%FF7DIR%"
CD "%FF7DIR%"
and that search's for the FF7 directory in the registry (the reason there is 2 is because 64bit versions of windows have a different registry path so i made it detect both)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:41 by obesebear »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-03-21 00:56:34 »
so what your saying is I can use all three discs at once? I am sorry I didn't quite understand :p
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:51 by obesebear »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-03-21 00:59:25 »
Hmmmm, now this is a really tough call.  It's not a No-CD patch, but basically offers the same work around...  And as kranmer mentioned there are PLENTY of other ways to still use downloaded versions with every single mod here.  There are people more than smart enough to figure out how to work around the problems of pirated copies and never tell anyone they stole it, and there are obviously retarded people who outright admit it in their first post.  However, after a relatively recent PM to Qhimm on warez, I am under the impression this tool in particular isn't blatantly condoning piracy.   Square hasn't made any money off of THIS game in years, and even a moron can easily figure out one of the dozens of different ways to get around not having the actual CD.  So with great caution I'm going to give this a pass.

However this is just RIGHT ON the gray line, and in order to keep SE off of our asses I think the thread title will need to be changed.  I'm also going to move it to Mods in slight hopes it gets drowned among other threads quicker than it would in Tools or Projects.   And just as icing on the cake I think we will all need to step up our game in flaming and belittling the dumbasses who admit to downloading it. 

We can make the game easier to use for ourselves while still hating/mocking pirates.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:13:58 by obesebear »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-03-21 01:04:40 »
this is really more for convenience than anything. I just figured since I am not messing with the .exe that it would be okay. Thanks for the pass and I already changed the thread name.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-03-21 01:07:59 »
Regarding FF7Music: ficedula made the program. I made the installer, as well as the batch file to launch the game.

I had considered using an executable instead of a batch file for launching the game and ff7music together, but it would simply be unfeasible to include this feature in my installer unless I create the exe on the fly; many people don't install FF7 to the default directory, and I couldn't find a way to edit that in an exe for non-default installs, only in a batch file.

As for playing the game without a CD, the program SlySoft Game Jackal Pro allows one to play most games (FF7 included) without a disc, but requires a genuine copy of the game discs in order to set it up. As such, I highly recommend it as a No-CD solution that isn't pirate friendly, serving only to benefit those who actually have discs to begin with.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:14:09 by obesebear »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-03-21 01:14:05 »
so what your saying is I can use all three discs at once? I am sorry I didn't quite understand :p

Sorry if i wasn't clear, your current release has 3 BAT files in it named disc1.bat disc2.bat disc3.bat, instead of having those 3 BAT files you could use the one i posted above and just have 1 BAT file that does the job of all 3. And instead of the user having to edit your path to FF7 it is automatically entered by collecting the info from the registry, so no matter who uses it, it should automatically correct the FF7 path to the correct folder.

We can make the game easier to use for ourselves while still hating/mocking pirates.
Yeah this does make things a lot easier :?: especially for me since i use this method (have done since 2008). So thanks for the ruling.

I had considered using an executable instead of a batch file for launching the game and ff7music together, but it would simply be unfeasible to include this feature in my installer unless I create the exe on the fly; many people don't install FF7 to the default directory, and I couldn't find a way to edit that in an exe for non-default installs, only in a batch file.
Well Covarr if you use my DOS script above to detect where the game is installed it gets the games installed directory from the user's registry, so even if its installed in a obscure place it should automatically change to the correct folder, that way you should be able to use EXE instead of a BAT (it wont work on systems before 2k though so 95,98 and ME are out)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-21 01:14:20 by obesebear »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-03-21 01:42:51 »
Well, I certainly will not be using the disc-faking code, for the purposes of keeping my installer as legal as possible and not messing with people's drive names, but I will look into using a registry check for install directory; I did not know that could be done in a batch script (I can easily revert to the current method for older versions of Windows).