Author Topic: Remaking FF7  (Read 29557 times)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #25 on: 2001-03-15 23:15:00 »
About the Jobs you can count me in for some play testing.

I dont know about much else though....
I will take with some freinds about what should be done with this remake though.
There Geneuses they should have a few ideas.

M0T

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #26 on: 2001-03-18 23:20:00 »
I'd really like to be in on this too, but all I can do is play test and help with a script because i have never programmed or even looked at any of those files  :( I'm a spare part....

M0T

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #27 on: 2001-03-19 00:51:00 »
If you released it as a patch wouldnt it be very large  :( I can only download cutting fine 25mb as my connection resets at 2hrs (BT are bastards)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Remaking FF7
« Reply #28 on: 2001-03-19 03:27:00 »
The simple solution to that is don't use BT; they *are* bastards.

Patches ... hmmm. Depends on what data you actually changed. Text data is tiny. I made a patch to test out Cosmo 0.75 that renamed Sephiroth. Now, that involved changing the text in about 1/3 of all the locations. (Not much was changed, but it did change a lot of files). The patch was <200Kb. Text compresses well.

Graphics, OTOH, aren't tiny, and the FF7 formats aren't compressed - though you could distribute them in JPG format or something, then write a program to convert em back into FF7 TEX's.

Music, if you used MIDI's, also tiny. Soundfonts would be the biggest element, but they should be optional anyway - not everyone has an AWE/Live.

Sound effects ... we wouldn't need many new ones.

Basically, a patch isn't necessarily going to be large, *especially* if you reuse data from the original game for lots of stuff. Which you should.

Incidentally, how do we get authorised for the private forum on this? I'm kinda hoping to be included in the discussion on this  :) Actually, what is going to be discussed in the private forum? Just the story line, or the technical aspects too (as you might expect, technical is more in my line, though story interests me too).

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #29 on: 2001-03-19 16:34:00 »
well, i tried mailling qhimm himself, maybe ill get an answer some time soon (hopefully this year  :D)

M0T

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #30 on: 2001-03-19 14:37:00 »
I didnt sign up for BT my sister did 2 years in a row and its getting worse. Also if you use jpeg's don't you lose picture quality which is one thing we want to make the game look better.
soundfonts are a good thing so they should be made optional although if I want to d/l them I'll have to do it at 4am when noones using bt
Also if you only use the same locations how are you gonna improve the quality of the pictures, also dont you limit the story a bit. I was thinking along the lines of som e sorta really cool confrontation locations. I really should remember this stuff on the first post so I dont hav e  to post 3 times

Sorry about that flooding I have never seen the edit button before. Silly Me

[This message has been edited by M0T (edited March 19, 2001).]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #31 on: 2001-03-19 16:45:00 »
MOT Try this download manager flash get.
When those bastards BT(I know how you feel I was on with them for ages. NowI have ADSL!)
disconnect you this lets you resume the download. Its also pretty fast.

Heres the URL: http://www.amazesoft.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.amazesoft.com/

And what about me on this project? No I cant program but I would like to be a beta tester.
I could also provide some input on the project. Its up to you guys though. Im just happy its happening  :) .

Remaking FF7
« Reply #32 on: 2001-03-19 20:47:00 »
Is BT the European equivalent of AOL?

Sir Canealot: I'm not sure at this point, having not talked with the others, but what we *might* do is make a list of beta testers, and when we release a beta, we'll let you guys know. You guys wouldn't need access to the forum, but you'd be in the nextmost inner circle. I guess it's probably The SaiNt's call. Qhimm seems to have made him the leader.  :)

Edit: Oh yeah.
Mot: JPEG's are lossy. IIRC, they remove all of the colors that your eye can't see. That's one reason converting to JPEG from other formats can be such a headache, with images coming out distorted.

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited March 19, 2001).]

M0T

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #33 on: 2001-03-19 21:00:00 »
No because BT used to be good and we have AOL too and its crap today as its ever benn. I'd like access to the forum so I could see what was going on. And the more people that help make the story the better is usually the case otherwise youd find that the story didnt suit many peoples tastes. On the other hand if you get too much input it could become confusing- you need to just balance it.

mr

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #34 on: 2001-03-19 21:38:00 »
I'd really like to be a part too, but I only know some Delphi and a *very* little bit of C++ (definately not enough to be a great help).
But for new locations you need new music, right? I could do it, as long as it's MIDI.

ficedula

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #35 on: 2001-03-19 23:01:00 »
Although we *can* alter FF7 to use any format of music (I've even written the program that does it) sticking to MIDI would be better, even if only from a download perspective. Everybody has the original game midi's and new ones are tiny.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #36 on: 2001-03-20 01:36:00 »
Agreed thoguh mp3s should be an option.

And does any one know of an easy to use Mp3 editing proggie?
The Mp3 of FFVII is missing loads of songs.
How ever they can all be fixed by choping the start off the music files. Any know a proggie for this?

M0T

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #37 on: 2001-03-20 02:08:00 »
I dont know any mp3 editing proggies, but IMO Midis would be better for live cards or equivilent (I have heard some midis on my friends pc and they sound sh*t) and mp3s should be an option but would be large wouldnt they?

ficedula

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #38 on: 2001-03-20 02:34:00 »
If you need to edit mp3's, convert them to WAV's, edit them, then convert then back.

If that seems a bit crap and you're thinking you could lose quality ... well, if there *was* an editor that could edit MP3's directly, that's exactly what it would do (except it'd do it automatically, of course).

MP3's are biiiig ... meg a minute, generally speaking. Though you can get some very good results out of lower bitrate VBR MP3's.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Remaking FF7
« Reply #39 on: 2001-03-21 10:34:00 »
I think if your looking to edit mp3z you can use a program called acid music.. it kinda lets you piece your music or song together.. maybe another one like it too...

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Remaking FF7
« Reply #40 on: 2001-03-21 14:24:00 »
About music formats... what about mods? IT files, for example, aren't that large and they have the soundfont "built-in", so to speak. They also have built-in functionality for repeats and stuff. I use double-compressed ITs in TTG, and it worked fine ...didn't it?

The Skillster

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #41 on: 2001-03-21 14:57:00 »
VERY valid point qhimm.
and by coincidence, i was listenening to TSSFs mods the other day, and if ficedula can patch up FF7 to play mod/it/s3m files then we can unlist the help of tssf to throw 2gether an album  :D for FF7 shouldnt be more than hmm about 15mb compressed  :D
should we give it a try?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #42 on: 2001-03-21 15:03:00 »
The thing is whether we'll actually be using any new music at all?

J*** H*******

Remaking FF7
« Reply #43 on: 2001-03-21 16:07:00 »
Message.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #44 on: 2001-03-21 21:09:00 »
One thing that you guys should try and put into FFVII in 32 bit colour. 16 bit looks so shoddy.

ficedula

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #45 on: 2001-03-21 22:28:00 »
Jari: Indeed it can! FF7Music can use *any* Winamp input/output plugin combination. Obviously for output DirectSound is the only good option, but you can hook up any input plugin at all. (Mwahaha, I don't need to change it at all!)

mr

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #46 on: 2001-03-21 22:42:00 »
If you do need composers, I could do some music. Not alone of course, but there are more composers around here, aren't they?

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Remaking FF7
« Reply #47 on: 2001-03-22 00:07:00 »
I think we shouldn't deal with music. If we do, let's just use MIDI files. We can re-use a lot of the already existing music from FF7, and maybe we would add a piece here or there from FF6 or 8. (Sephiroth is sneaking around Junon while we hear Kefka's music!  :wink: )

Plus if we want it to sound better (I personally like the PC version as opposed to the PSX version) we can just add a new (optional?) soundfont.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Remaking FF7
« Reply #48 on: 2001-03-22 02:37:00 »
could someone care to email TSSF, and ask him if hes got the time to get involved?
he is "probably" the only person here who can handle mods and midis and soundfonts (unless jari and dag can too, but theyve been quiet)

J*** H*******

Remaking FF7
« Reply #49 on: 2001-03-23 02:54:00 »
Message.