Author Topic: [FF7] Final Fantasy VII: 2D Remake (Demo 1: Proof of Concept)  (Read 54657 times)

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
Hey guys! I thought it was about time I put together an official thread for what I've been working on for a while now. As the title suggests, I've been workin on a 2D remake of FF7 that aims to not only capture the feel of the original, but also be faithful from a technical standpoint as well. Using TFergusson's thorough documentation, and thanks to some people on this forum I've corresponded with, I've been able to put together this demo with an implementation of the original FF7 mechanics. The battle system is at about 90% complete, and is mostly just missing sprites and animations that I've yet draw. All the pixel art is by myself also.

Most of the bugs have been identified already in the other forums I've posted this, but if you find anything wrong let me know anyway as it may have been something others missed!

Lastly, its a packed exe with Molebox so if your antivirus is complaining about it thats whats causing it. :)

Demo:

Release 1: "Proof of Concept" (8.5mb)

Screenshots:

Video:

A taste of the intro (the whole Midgar shot will be done once I get the bombing mission finished)

The battle system

Also there's a few other vids in my youtube profile that you're welcome to go fishing for if you want to see a more detailed look at the menu/battle system.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-18 18:44:52 by Covarr »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: [Demo] Final Fantasy VII: 2D Remake
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-29 20:30:29 »
wow! that's really neat, great work.
what made you decide to undertake a project of this type?

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-29 20:37:10 »
Just played it, its pretty awesome.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-29 20:58:31 »
That's pretty damn legit.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-29 23:41:53 »
OK I'm gonna be honest when I first saw the 2D Final fantasy VII thread I thought oh god facepalm but you sir have my 110% support for this its not what i expected at all I was in shock its that good!! I hope you manage to continue this project and pray you finish it because I honestly think this is as close to a remake we are ever gonna get in the near future i just hope SE don't hinder it in anyway even though you are drawing everything by hand which is massively impressive!! Good luck with this!!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-30 01:58:34 »
God, reminds me much of FFIV the first time I played with :D 2D with good gameplay and good graphics (2D) the game is better than kickass graphics and bad gameplay/story. FFIV vs FFXIII

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-30 03:45:38 »
God, reminds me much of FFIV the first time I played with :D 2D with good gameplay and good graphics (2D) the game is better than kickass graphics and bad gameplay/story. FFIV vs FFXIII

FFIV Complete Collection. 'nuff said.

And by the way, in my opinion the FFIV story failed pretty bad.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-30 21:40:10 »
FFIV The Complete Collection? Playing it and I'm at *spoil* where Cecil becomes a paladin *spoil* (not yet). Very good.

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-03 16:19:59 »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I kind of regret putting it up on here now though as it seems to have caught the attention of the French gaming press (google "Un remake de Final Fantasy VII en 2D" and you'll see what I mean). I hope it doesn't get much bigger than this so I can keep working on it relatively unnoticed...

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-03 19:42:55 »
Keep up this great work! We won't tell anyone! >_<

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-03 23:11:36 »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I kind of regret putting it up on here now though as it seems to have caught the attention of the French gaming press (google "Un remake de Final Fantasy VII en 2D" and you'll see what I mean). I hope it doesn't get much bigger than this so I can keep working on it relatively unnoticed...
You posted it on four different forums. It was bound to be noticed sooner or later.

Lord_james

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-04 01:05:39 »

I have found it. It's funny... This words mean the same in spanish and french.

What's the engine of the game? I think you must make all game scripts (point of reference) and later complete all.

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-06-04 03:58:01 »
@DarkFang: This is true, but ALL the French sites are saying this is the source, and they only appeared days after I posted here. In future though, I will try to keep a lower profile.

@Lord_james: Thats pretty interesting, but in my video stats on youtube France is showing up in bold green with everything else as extremely pale... so I think its safe to say this is mostly French. :)

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-06-04 09:02:55 »
What tools did you use to write it?

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-06-04 14:17:12 »
keep up the good work this is awesome!

freakozoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-04 15:44:12 »
i think he used maybe the RPG Maker from Enterbrain, the XP or 2003 version.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-06-04 20:49:47 »
At that resolution, I sincerely doubt it's RPG Maker XP, which runs at 640x480.

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-06-05 08:22:18 »
Covarr is correct, I built my engine on top of RPG Maker 2003. :)

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-06-05 12:05:47 »
Dunno if this interests you, but there's a guy on Youtube who's remixed the ff7 songs with FF6 samples. I think they'd fit really well with your 2d game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4EliDA9qao&feature=channel_video_title

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-06-05 13:34:38 »
Thats pretty cool! He hasn't done the whole OST though, and some of the songs don't sound quite the way I'd expect them to (he himself seems to have admitted this). I won't be including anything but the original midis I ripped from the PC version of FF7, but in the next demo I will be including an option that lets people substitute their own MP3s into the game, not unlike what people do with the real FF7 on PC already.

Cerebral

« Reply #20 on: 2011-06-06 04:15:56 »
Wow! That demo is impressive. I hoped to have the gameplay last another scene or two, but that's just me being greedy and getting addicted to it already.  :P

So Vanit, I have to ask a few questions regarding the development for everyone's benefit.

1. Are you looking to remake the entire FFVII?
2. Will it be an exact 2D replica (word for word, scene for scene) or will you rewrite the story?
3. How many people will you have working on it?
4. How long will development take?
5. Will there be incremental releases?

Excuse my eagerness. I am just that amazed by this.

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-06-06 08:30:15 »
1) Thats the plan eventually!
2) Its going to be an exact replica, although I will probably correct some of the typos in the script.
3) Its just me.
4) For the full thing? No idea, but its my plan to have atleast 30 minutes of gameplay by the end of the year.
5) Yep! Everytime I get a sizeable chunk of gameplay done I'll be releasing a new version (with all previous content in that version also).

And no problem, I take it as a compliment. :)

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-06-06 17:08:10 »
really good work compared with other RPG maker games I had played.
You can use a MIDI remix for music instead of the OST.
A lot of people tried to remaster the FF7PC songs.

GoHurtSomething

• Making geeks look sexy since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-06-06 18:52:05 »
When do you think it'll be finished. Iv been playing the original for a week now. so it would be good to play it again with an original snes like feel once Iv completed it.

edit: read other peoples post now, and had a play looks like its not going to be done for a while. so scratch above. Its bloody good though. you've even put clouds sword swing when he wins. A suggestion though for when you do get your half hour game play. A run button would be lovely. not now though, its enjoyable as a little demo. keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-06 22:07:49 by GoHurtSomething »

Vanit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-06-07 05:07:23 »
Do you mean running from combat or running in the field? If its the former, then its coming, if its the latter, then no there will be no running. I've drawn the maps to scale with Cloud's size and speed from the original. In this small sample of gameplay it might seem he's moving slow, but when you see how small each area is I think you'll see why there will be no movement speed increases.