Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837078 times)

OOOFloW

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8150 on: 2019-07-03 11:41:02 »
Obligatory this mod is great

That said... my compulsory completionism is acting up... I want to morph everything, steal every item, miss nothing, and documentation seems limited.

So I was able to morph Shake (2nd boss on the Wutai pagoda climb), but I wasn't able to steal from him. Where/how do I find out what item I missed?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: 2019-07-03 17:25:37 »
Is this mod supposed to be giving random encounters from all over the game? in the first area I'm getting encounters from late game. enemies dealing 8-14k damage. Literally impossible to defeat them this early lol

No, this is either a thing that can be caused by 7th Heaven not being set up properly (or the installer failing to patch the kernel due to file security) or it might be a mod conflict that's enforcing the default encounter table (Playable Jessie in the Reactor can cause this).

If this glitch occurs with only NT running as the active mod, then we can assume it'sd a set-up/installation problem. You'll need to check through each step again in this instance; the process has a lot of pitfalls.

For the best chance of success, uninstall/wipe the game files and then reinstall the base game in a folder that's not in program folders as these have system protection against data injection, overwrites, etc. Make sure the game converter and 7th Heaven's executable are also unblocked via properties and running as admin.

When running IROs through the game, fastest way to check if the kernel has been patched is to open up the menu when the game has started and checking the item descriptions. Potions should read as Restores 300HP instead of 100, and your Cure spell should be costing 10MP instead of 5MP.

If NT works fine on its own, then it's a mod conflict. For the most part the graphical mods should be compatible but I think things like Grimmy's Jessie mod enforces default encounters which causes issues through the 1st Reactor.

Finally, if not using 7th Heaven and instead using the regular installer I made, then it's probably just a security issue; make sure the installer has the appropriate writing permissions or if that doesn't work then try installing the game outside of system folders. Your antivirus can also interfere sometimes. If it still doesn't take, then I have an emergency direct patch you can use instead.

It sounds like something went wrong with kernel.bin, I think the advice is to make sure your game files are outside of protected folders like program files and do the install again.

I might be having some problems of my own too. I got up to Mr Smile and noticed source points only give +1 each. Is this an indication that my .exe wasn't properly patched? Potions seem to be healing 300 HP in and out of combat, which should be a sign my .exe is fine, right?

I changed the sources back to 1:1 because if the executable patch failed for whatever reason it would leave players with characters severely under-statted. The other exe specific features aren't as critical/don't have permanent consequences (things like Sense Limit being raised, potions healing 300 in the field screen menu instead of 100).

If your potions are healing 300 in field menus then your .exe is patched correctly.

Hello once again! I've dropped by again for two different bug reports this time! The first that I have to mention is the room below:

https://i.gyazo.com/fb3b70a2c482f460a0aaf88686c65d34.png

For whatever reason, in this room and only this room, Clouds model does not walk. It simply slides around. I have no clue why but I thought I would let you know. Second, in regards to the "Cave of Gi" If you return for a second time and go to the very end, it will trigger a cutscene from part 1 and crash the game. I have to assume this is because of event flags.

The sliding thing is to do with Barret running around with an alternate idle/walk/run cycle, which I think gets applied to Cloud. Cloud doesn't have those anims but he's getting set up to use them is my guess.

As for the Cave of the Gi, that's a bit more serious as the scene intended to play is for Red XIII's Lv4 Limit boss fight. Are you on Disc 3 and is Red XIII in your party when you get access to the cave again?

Obligatory this mod is great

That said... my compulsory completionism is acting up... I want to morph everything, steal every item, miss nothing, and documentation seems limited.

So I was able to morph Shake (2nd boss on the Wutai pagoda climb), but I wasn't able to steal from him. Where/how do I find out what item I missed?

There's a tool called proud clod (prc) that can open the game's scene.bin (located in the ff7/data/battle folder) and which shows all the enemy data (including their drops, steals, and morphs); at present, that's probably the most accurate way of finding out. There was a spreadsheet with this information but it's not 100% up to date.

Link to the tool
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8481.0

jkx27

• View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: 2019-07-03 20:35:23 »
Hey Sega, loving your mod so far! Just wanted to report a bug, not sure if it's been posted here already. I just reached the underwater reactor at Junon, well the short section right before it anyway. Whenever I encounter a Soldier 2nd Class enemy, there's something he does that's causing a softlock. I assume it's something to do with an error in his AI script, I'm not sure what exactly he tries to do that causes the softlock but I know for a fact the problem lies with him. He comes with two other enemies, these pink robots (forgot their names) if that matters. Anyway, thanks for this amazing mod and keep up the great work!

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: 2019-07-03 21:18:38 »

The sliding thing is to do with Barret running around with an alternate idle/walk/run cycle, which I think gets applied to Cloud. Cloud doesn't have those anims but he's getting set up to use them is my guess.

As for the Cave of the Gi, that's a bit more serious as the scene intended to play is for Red XIII's Lv4 Limit boss fight. Are you on Disc 3 and is Red XIII in your party when you get access to the cave again?

I am indeed on disk three, and I did have Red XIII in the party when I unlocked the cave, but when I actually went down to the cave itself I did not have Red in the party.

Frost_Bytes

• View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: 2019-07-03 21:32:05 »
No, this is either a thing that can be caused by 7th Heaven not being set up properly (or the installer failing to patch the kernel due to file security) or it might be a mod conflict that's enforcing the default encounter table (Playable Jessie in the Reactor can cause this).

If NT works fine on its own, then it's a mod conflict. For the most part the graphical mods should be compatible but I think things like Grimmy's Jessie mod enforces default encounters which causes issues through the 1st Reactor.
I am using Grimmy's Jessie Mod. I'll try disabling that one first and see how it goes. and If not... I'll uninstall everything and start over.

Thanks, Chief!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: 2019-07-03 23:35:56 »
Hey Sega, loving your mod so far! Just wanted to report a bug, not sure if it's been posted here already. I just reached the underwater reactor at Junon, well the short section right before it anyway. Whenever I encounter a Soldier 2nd Class enemy, there's something he does that's causing a softlock. I assume it's something to do with an error in his AI script, I'm not sure what exactly he tries to do that causes the softlock but I know for a fact the problem lies with him. He comes with two other enemies, these pink robots (forgot their names) if that matters. Anyway, thanks for this amazing mod and keep up the great work!

I've had that bug pop up repeatedly, but not fixed it yet. I'll sort it out.

I am indeed on disk three, and I did have Red XIII in the party when I unlocked the cave, but when I actually went down to the cave itself I did not have Red in the party.

That might be it then, I'll check the script so that there's handlers in place for red not being there to prevent a crash.

I am using Grimmy's Jessie Mod. I'll try disabling that one first and see how it goes. and If not... I'll uninstall everything and start over.

Thanks, Chief!

If you want to use jessie mod, I adjusted the IRO for it slightly to be compatible:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/825mu1w33g83ruh/Jessie_IRO_Compatability_Patched.iro/file

7h can import IROs on the 2nd tab, after which they can turned on just like the catalog IROs.

Batcow

• View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: 2019-07-03 23:40:01 »
Awesome, thanks for all the support Sega, I can carry on playing with peace of mind. I'll drop a few pounds in your donation box. :)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #8157 on: 2019-07-04 08:38:01 »

You don't have to uninstall everything unless you've modified the files in your game folder (installer or manually replacing). 7H is an injection tool and NEVER touches the files in the game folder. Everything is applied to memory as the game is playing and dumped from memory after the game closes.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: 2019-07-04 12:51:00 »
Awesome, thanks for all the support Sega, I can carry on playing with peace of mind. I'll drop a few pounds in your donation box. :)

Cheers for the donation, bud. Also, thanks to Bowser9 for his donation.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: 2019-07-04 20:35:32 »
I have some questions in regards to character tanking.

a) How much VIT/STR does Barret get per stack with his innate ability? Also, is there a way for Aerith to block magic damage for other party members? Trying to get mileage out of her Geo-stance.

b) Which characters are best suited for evasion tanking? And I know DEX and LCK play a role in evasion, but is one more important than the other? Also, does LCK increase both physical and magical evasion?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-04 21:19:19 by Fauve »

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8160 on: 2019-07-04 22:17:41 »
Are the Leviathan Scales obtainable after the Junon Reactor? I assume that they were moved because of all the quality of life things and new content. If they were moved I kinda wanna find them myself but if not, well guess I just don't get Yuffies Limit break. Ah well.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: 2019-07-04 23:25:16 »
I have some questions in regards to character tanking.

a) How much VIT/STR does Barret get per stack with his innate ability? Also, is there a way for Aerith to block magic damage for other party members? Trying to get mileage out of her Geo-stance.

b) Which characters are best suited for evasion tanking? And I know DEX and LCK play a role in evasion, but is one more important than the other? Also, does LCK increase both physical and magical evasion?

It's +5 for Strength and +5 for the Vit/Spr stacks, 5 stacks of either for +25 max. Aeris can't block magical damage for the other party members, but she can block physical attacks that have an elemental alignment using Cover.

Luck and Dex are checked for separately so it can be difficult to say which is more important; both only influence Physical attacks. Luck is handy for physical attackers as a Lucky Hit check of Luck/4 will result in an undodgeable critical hit that cancels any other evasion checks. They can also dodge incoming physical hits with the same chance, Luck/4.

Dex corresponds to evasion, accuracy, and turn speed. It combos well with armour that gives a high evasion% and can let you run the rule over enemies if you have a few high dex characters in the party (but not on Active ATB).

The best characters suited for Luck-based evasion tanking are Cait Sith and Cid as they have very high natural Luck stats. The characters best suited for Dex evasion are Tifa and Yuffie for the same reason, only for the Dex stat.

If you want both stats high, Aeris has reasonable Dex and Luck stats that could be built up a bit faster than the other characters. But it might be better to push Cid or Cait down a Dex-based route to take advantage of their naturally high Luck stats.

Are the Leviathan Scales obtainable after the Junon Reactor? I assume that they were moved because of all the quality of life things and new content. If they were moved I kinda wanna find them myself but if not, well guess I just don't get Yuffies Limit break. Ah well.

Seems they are missable, though I'd assumed the chest was visible from the submarine exterior. I need to make a patch for saving before the motorbike minigame so what I could do is set up a new treasure chest on the Gelnika that allows for the scales to be grabbed if they weren't picked up in the sub pen.

Smashgunner

• View Profile
Bug Report!
« Reply #8162 on: 2019-07-04 23:29:19 »
Selecting "Cancel" when selecting a rank for the Junon Leagues has frozen my character. I am incapable of moving and it has softlocked the game.

pearpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: 2019-07-04 23:39:16 »
Was the Corel Prison Scorpion fight removed or did i miss something?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: 2019-07-05 00:00:19 »
Selecting "Cancel" when selecting a rank for the Junon Leagues has frozen my character. I am incapable of moving and it has softlocked the game.

I forgot about that one, I'll get fix that up before I put this patch up; sorry about the lost progress.

Was the Corel Prison Scorpion fight removed or did i miss something?

It was moved a little later on, was a bit of a pain speccing to fight that then having to respec to fight Dyne 1v1 right after.

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: 2019-07-05 00:18:00 »
I forgot about that one, I'll get fix that up before I put this patch up; sorry about the lost progress.

Don't worry. If you think about it it's a good thing since I've reminded you of it. Besides at least I know about the prizes now! Time to farm up Elixers, Turbo ethers and X-potions.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: 2019-07-05 00:24:51 »
Don't worry. If you think about it it's a good thing since I've reminded you of it. Besides at least I know about the prizes now! Time to farm up Elixers, Turbo ethers and X-potions.

Installer
https://mega.nz/#!q8dTySST!-cR-QePTJf9qtQOAcRQLoG42aw5LawUSfWGqJy6q_CY

IRO
https://mega.nz/#!e9cxjKoS!J2dWPR1KyYBvRJm6o3_d4pYsxqTSm0UPpPvFqtop15I

Issues
-) Added a menu open to prior the Highway boss battle, couldn't replicate issue where boss battle would start immediately after loading a save file made at the Highway prep screen so this has been added as a catch-all.

-) Leviathan Scales can be collected from Gelnika (room with Hades Materia) if it wasn't picked up at the sub pen.

-) Fixed logic for Junon Leagues Cancel option (there was another check for the option further down that jumped further up the script, causing a loop).

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: 2019-07-05 02:18:27 »
So I read on the installer that apparently there's a boss that nobody has found in the five years this mod has been out. Guess I'm gonna go meticulously look at every area of the game in hopes of finding it. I wonder what it is? C'mon everyone let's find it and take its loot!

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: 2019-07-05 03:02:34 »
Unsure if it's a bug or a mistake or what, but the Comet 2 spell says that it does 6 hits, but it will only do 4 hits. Thus making it weaker than what it says on the box.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: 2019-07-05 04:31:03 »
It's +5 for Strength and +5 for the Vit/Spr stacks, 5 stacks of either for +25 max. Aeris can't block magical damage for the other party members, but she can block physical attacks that have an elemental alignment using Cover.

Luck and Dex are checked for separately so it can be difficult to say which is more important; both only influence Physical attacks. Luck is handy for physical attackers as a Lucky Hit check of Luck/4 will result in an undodgeable critical hit that cancels any other evasion checks. They can also dodge incoming physical hits with the same chance, Luck/4.

Dex corresponds to evasion, accuracy, and turn speed. It combos well with armour that gives a high evasion% and can let you run the rule over enemies if you have a few high dex characters in the party (but not on Active ATB).

The best characters suited for Luck-based evasion tanking are Cait Sith and Cid as they have very high natural Luck stats. The characters best suited for Dex evasion are Tifa and Yuffie for the same reason, only for the Dex stat.

If you want both stats high, Aeris has reasonable Dex and Luck stats that could be built up a bit faster than the other characters. But it might be better to push Cid or Cait down a Dex-based route to take advantage of their naturally high Luck stats.
Sweet thanks for all the information. I think I’ll go with Cait Sith as my evasion tank. Would focusing mostly on his Top Cat  build (+15 DEX, +10 LCK) be overkill for evasion? I also wonder if focusing on that build will leave him pretty weak in the damage department.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: 2019-07-05 09:49:37 »
So I read on the installer that apparently there's a boss that nobody has found in the five years this mod has been out. Guess I'm gonna go meticulously look at every area of the game in hopes of finding it. I wonder what it is? C'mon everyone let's find it and take its loot!

Just a disclaimer on that one, there was a change made to the way Dark Cave ends which makes this boss inaccessible. I'll update the installer text to something else next time I do a patch.

Unsure if it's a bug or a mistake or what, but the Comet 2 spell says that it does 6 hits, but it will only do 4 hits. Thus making it weaker than what it says on the box.

Is it only 4 now? I'll check into that, but I may have changed it back to 4 for balancing (or forgot to set it to 6, not sure).

Sweet thanks for all the information. I think I’ll go with Cait Sith as my evasion tank. Would focusing mostly on his Top Cat  build (+15 DEX, +10 LCK) be overkill for evasion? I also wonder if focusing on that build will leave him pretty weak in the damage department.

It probably will, but the high Luck can give him a good supply of critical hits for 2x damage. I think Cait's ultimate weapon doesn't use strength though, it uses a MaxHP - HP formula similar to the ???? enemy skill.

Big thanks to Loveless for the donation, I really appreciate it bud; I've got a lot planned for the final update, particularly the Arrange mode.

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: 2019-07-05 11:15:29 »
Just a disclaimer on that one, there was a change made to the way Dark Cave ends which makes this boss inaccessible. I'll update the installer text to something else next time I do a patch.

Oh no.....Well then in that case, is it ever going to be added back in? If not, can we (Or I) know what it was and what it would give? My curiosity has a mild want to be sated.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: 2019-07-05 12:49:01 »
Oh no.....Well then in that case, is it ever going to be added back in? If not, can we (Or I) know what it was and what it would give? My curiosity has a mild want to be sated.

I'm not sure if it'll be reimplemented.

Spoiler ahead:
Spoiler: show

The current secret boss, Ozma, has two versions. The 'regular' one is fought by playing the piano theme on the Shinra Mansion piano (some of the keys are missing, making it trickier to play by ear). This unlocks the encounter in the Nibel Reactor, at the Jenova door; this one is still in the game. The other version, the Shade version, was in Dark Cave's Diorama room during the countdown sequence. They were going to be linked to each other, beating one would have an effect on the other.

Smashgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: 2019-07-05 12:55:57 »
Wow that's really interesting! I must say that your mod is incredibly neat! It has some incredibly oldschoolish secrets in it from what I can tell. I absolutely love it! I never would have suspected to do that. Incredible. I don't think I could praise enough just how cool this mod is by the time I turned 50. I MIGHT be able to do it by 60. I don't know.

Loveless

• View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: 2019-07-05 18:43:02 »
Big thanks to Loveless for the donation, I really appreciate it bud; I've got a lot planned for the final update, particularly the Arrange mode.
Don't mention it, it is my pleasure :)

Really looking forward to it!