Author Topic: Supernova equation?  (Read 16937 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« on: 2005-01-20 22:51:19 »
Yeah, someone posted about this on another board, and now its messin me up.  What's the Equation that flashes on the screen durring Sephy's Supernova supposed to be?  Random gibberish, or is it an actualy theorum?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Supernova equation?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-21 04:43:14 »
Well, uhm, from the crappy screenshots I had to look at, I only recognized the equation for the area of a circle, and some bastardized form of the gravity-induced acceleration a certain distance from a body (with an added cubic(?) root)... sorry, my physics is not enough up to date to see what that implies. Maybe it's just gibberish to make it look more complicated.

yoshi314

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-25 06:34:53 »
someone has a screenshot? i don't feel like going through the whole game /again/ just to check it out

Nanaki

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-25 12:38:29 »
I was wonderin what it was about that too but after  supernova was used for a second time i just left it for random equations that were supposed to link with the destroying of the universe (big nasty fireball!)

Which reminds me How The Hell Can Sephy Use Supernova Twice!  :o

Nanaki  ^_^
(Just my $2)

Chesso

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-25 14:32:06 »
Super Nova? is that the one that look's like the description of meteor where it picks up other drifting planets on the way and smashes you. Or atleast i think it looked something like that.

Been years since i finished it but im up to it now just going around getting knights of the round etc.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Supernova equation?
« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-25 17:10:38 »
Quote from: Nanaki
Which reminds me How The Hell Can Sephy Use Supernova Twice!  :o

Apart from the obvious pain of being washed in exploding solar matter himself, why wouldn't he be able to? It's a supernova, not the end of the Universe.

Quote from: Nanaki
Nanaki  ^_^
(Just my $2)

Ah yes, inflation...

Nanaki

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-26 09:33:46 »
i meant How can he destroy Pluto etc twice
And he probably either didnt feel the pain or didnt care as he seems oblivious to the pain.

Nanaki ^_^
ps it didnt gather planets it just destroyed eveything in its path (minus "Earth") ha ha ha

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
Supernova equation?
« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-26 11:14:29 »
I am actually more curious of the exact method they use to make the planets break.

The spell is run by an in-game script engine which governs all spells, even as simple as Ice.
Yet this engine can go so far as distorting polygons inside the meshes?
This is the part that makes me worried when it comes to my own project.
Maybe I will just have a special screen with the words “Insert Supernova Here” and then your characters take damage.

Has anyone hacked the spell-sequence data at all yet?

L. Spiro

P. S.:  From years-ago memory, I recall the supernova object destroying planets and hitting the sun, which caused it to enlarge until it reached the faces of our in-game heroes, only to deal a few points of damage.
Comical at least.
When you fight Safer•Sephiroth, you are traveling in some form of pink vortex.
I think it is pretty obvious how he can cast it many times.
Each time he destroys a solar system, he just travels to a fresh, unused, and exactly-like-ours solar system, and then he can use the spell again.
Meanwhile, everyone prods along, oblivious to the solar systems they pass.
You think he is destroying the Milky Way a bunch of times, but actually there are clones of the Milky Way all over the universe and he is destroying each of them.

Nanaki

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-26 12:29:37 »
that explains a lot
but does that mean you are automatically transported from the lifestream to an alternate universe then again to an identical alternate universe then when safer sephy dies you are automatically transported to the good old lifestream  :o
or literaly just before the attack  :-?

man id hate to think what would happen if all of this was real and our system was next (then again how would we know :p )  
and if so damn sephy (too late omnislash used)

makes you think doesnt it

Nanaki ^_^

Crap Killed the topic !

CKtalon

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffrc.cjb.net
Supernova equation?
« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-20 11:38:43 »
Alright..since I started playing a few days back..and reached Safer..here's the video..A video speaks a thousand pictures  :wink:
Someone try hosting it after downloading it? :)

http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PAURBMN03NMA3VBZ60CZL23MJ

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1Y8V3E6RZXBH911GEOX441YILJ

The above links will expire in 7 days

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/

DarkestDream

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-20 15:46:41 »
Can you record the video again, Aaron, cuz my WinAmp and my WMP and my MPC said it couldnt render the file, seem that it using a different format then then you changed it to .avi, is that correct?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Supernova equation?
« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-20 17:24:33 »
That's just a link to CKtalon's file that I'm hosting.
It works fine as AVI for me.  Make sure that you have a DivX codec installed, that's what format it is encoded in.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Simple equation...
« Reply #13 on: 2005-03-06 11:34:59 »
Hi!

I think the equation is simple... hehehe!  :P

Big huge comet + tiny scared victims = BOOM!  :D

xeriouxi.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Supernova equation?
« Reply #14 on: 2005-03-11 22:23:47 »
Cool video.. Man that birngs back memories.. I always wondered how it just didnt kill everyone if it was going through planets.. Or did the pollution of the Earth make it less of an impact.. LoL

JPWest

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-25 20:57:46 »
I'm a few months late but here's the equations taken from the posted avi.

1: Φ = WUγ + RUρ + SUγUρ
2: W = -SUγΦ
3: AU = (GMek^-2)^1/3
4: n = Πr^2

For those that don't know Φ, γ, ρ and Π are the Greek letters phi, gamma, rho and pi respectively. (pi looks a bit odd on here...)
Also ^ signifies a power, so r^2 is r squared, and Me is supposed to have the e as a subscript not just a letter - therefore signifying the mass of the Earth (it was an e as far as I can tell).

All that follows from this point is working on the assumption that the equations actually mean something.

I don't recognise all of these equations straight off, with the exception of 4 (area of a circle).  
We can assume that 1 is only there to tidy up 2, as phi appears in both but is the subject of 1.  Now although it doesn't seem so from the equations in the video, I believe that the greek letters rho and gamma are subscripts of U - this implies that the multiple occurences of U represent different potential energies.  Other than that I can't figure out where 1 and 2 are really going, but overall I figure W is a negative energy(ignoring the fact that W is 1 and phi is in 2, as this makes life very difficult).
3 is something to do with the gravitational constant, the mass of the Earth and Boltzmanns constant.  My Physics in this area is a bit rusty, but the Boltzmann constant applies to gasses so it seems odd that it be included here - assuming of course that it is the Boltmann constant.  For the sake of simplicity I'm going with Qhimm, I'll assume it's not the Boltzmann and just say that 3 is a gravitational accelleration.

A few more assumptions and we are done... from the fact that the area of a circle is included I'm going to assume that the whole thing is set in 2 dimensions rather than 3(I can't think of another reason the area of a circle would be involved).  This is further supported by the potentials, if you assume rho and gamma refer to these dimensions.  We can also assume that the prefixes of the potentials have some sort of meaning, S meaning the Sun perhaps.  So the potentials are that applied by a specific body in the x or y (gamma or phi) direction.

In conclusion 1 and 2 string together to give the sum of the potentiasl (and therefore the attractive forces) of specific astral bodies (namely the Sun and other planets in the solar system), 3 gives the same but for the Earth and 4 just told us that it's working 2 dimensionally.

Basically its all the energy the solar system is transfering to and from that stupid asteroid that crashes into the Sun.

Assuming it's not just gibberish of course.  Yeesh.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-25 22:26:20 »
Quote from: JPWest

Basically its all the energy the solar system is transfering to and from that stupid asteroid that crashes into the Sun.

Assuming it's not just gibberish of course.  Yeesh.

Makes sense.  If this is a matter of energy (ha, bad pun), then we're essentially being told how powerful the attack is supposed to be...

JPWest

• View Profile
Supernova equation?
« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-25 23:23:08 »
lol, everything I said was so unnecessary... but I had my textbook handy... and I figured I should open it at least once in the run up to exams...