Author Topic: Battle hangs in shinra hq  (Read 4233 times)

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Battle hangs in shinra hq
« on: 2014-05-31 11:12:34 »
Hey there.

Having frequent hangs in the middle of a battle with these enemies (either in battles of 2 sword dance or 3 with a hammer blast). It does not freeze, they still have their animation and the music is still on, but nothing happens.
Using bootleg with updated aali driver + 7th heaven with a couple of models.

Any tips?

Found 3 posts already reporting this in bootleg and the hardcore mod, but none of them where answered.

« Last Edit: 2014-05-31 11:23:49 by eXistenZe »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Battle hangs in shinra hq
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-31 14:12:34 »
When you kill one, does the battle resume? Can you run away from battle?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-31 16:41:53 »
It's strange, I looked at the enemy's AI, formation, animations, attacks etc in Proud Clod and it doesn't look like there should be anything wrong. I even compared them to a default scene, down to the camera data, but besides stats they're the same (unless I've missed something).

Another thing is that the last two formations in scene 107 have an extra enemy sitting in them (but it's just the enemy ID, no position data, etc). Odd that they'd be there; maybe these two scenes got corrupted somehow?

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-31 17:47:21 »
Ok. Did some more testing and came with two conclusions:
- I am not sure if the hang really happened with 1 or 2 sword dance. I was not able to replicate this bug in these conditions.
- I was however able to replicate this in a battle with 2 sword dance and 1 hammer blast. If I kill the hammer blast first, the game hangs in every single attempt. If I kill a sword dance first, then the battle proceeds fine.

When I say "hang", the battle apparently goes on but the command box never shows. It's like a scripted scene or something was supposed to happen, but it just waits indefinitely.

I did not try running away thou, I will try it next time.

If there's any file I need to upload for you to look at let me know.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-31 18:01:54 by eXistenZe »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-31 18:47:54 »
That makes more sense if it's just the fight with Sword Dance and Hammerblaster; the default game has no encounter where these enemies appear together. There's two ways you can fix it on your end; if you can use Proud Clod, you could go into the scene.bin, find scene 107, and go into it's Formation data and change formation 01AC so that Hammerblaster doesn't appear (you'd be changing all the numbers in the rows belonging to 0035 and 0036 to FFFF; that should get rid of him).

Otherwise, you can try doing it using the field editor Makou Reactor. Open the flevel with it and go to field 248 (called blin65_1). Under the Tools tab (or by pressing Ctrl+N) you can edit the encounters found on that field. Battle 5 (428, with a probability of 10) is the fight with the Hammerblaster + 2 Sword-dances. Change that to any of the others, 424, 425, etc. and that should make the battle never appear. If Makou can't save the changes, then try moving the flevel out of the program files/steam folder and then editing it before putting it back where you found it.

As for the actual cause, I'll bet it's to do with the Var: 0000, 0020, and 0040 that both Hammerblaster and Sword Dance use in their pre-battle. Might be that Hammerblaster is trying to store formation data to synch with his No-Name part and it's being scrambled by Sword Dance using the variable for something else. I'm not an AI expert but I've had trouble with things like that in the past.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-31 18:54:52 »
Thanks. I'll try that.