Author Topic: Forum upgrade  (Read 105496 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Forum upgrade
« on: 2010-06-19 01:21:22 »
I upgraded the forum software from SMF 1.1 to SMF 2.0. The transition was not 100% clean, so please have a look around and report any problems or issues here (in this thread).

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Forum upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-19 04:10:56 »
Not sure if you intended this or not.   General needs moderator approval for guests to start a new topic, but not to reply.      In Completely Unrelated, guests can start new topics and reply.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10166.msg141906#msg141906   

Also not sure what happened here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10036.msg123812#msg123812

Brand new members are required to fill out a captcha only on their first post.   Members can also delete any posts they've made.  This includes the original post/thread as long as no one has replied in it.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-19 06:22:58 by obesebear »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-19 06:31:19 »
Holy cats! I have an Admin panel now... I'm poking around to see what toys I have...

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-19 10:42:18 »
Not sure if anything can be done about this or if it's even a problem with the software, but the jumplist at the bottom (which I am constantly using) doesn't display any other forum sections unless you wiggle the mouse around a little bit, which is kinda strange. Not that it's a major problem - might just be me.
EDIT: On closer inspection, it just takes longer for them to show up.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-19 12:39:14 »
"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

I'm new here so I'm not sure if it's your way to disable avatars/attachments or really a bug :P
« Last Edit: 2010-06-19 12:42:56 by Kein »

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-19 13:44:20 »
Not sure if you intended this or not.   General needs moderator approval for guests to start a new topic, but not to reply.      In Completely Unrelated, guests can start new topics and reply.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10166.msg141906#msg141906   

Permissions didn't migrate cleanly so I had to make something up as I went. If something doesn't work well, we can change it.

Also not sure what happened here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10036.msg123812#msg123812

Ouch, looks like UTF-8 conversion gone wrong. Wonder if many (older) messages are affected? If so, I'll have to run some kind of recovery...

Brand new members are required to fill out a captcha only on their first post.   Members can also delete any posts they've made.  This includes the original post/thread as long as no one has replied in it.

Again, permissions made up as I went. Switched to 1 easier captcha + 1 security question to try to trick bots while not annoying humans too much.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-19 14:14:36 »
Sounds like the uploads directory/file wasn't chmodded properly, In regards to the upload file problem. As far as the glitch in characters all I can think of is a directory of a extended character or a emoticon got screwed up. In SMF 2.0 it might be just a simple re-cache of posts. Hope this helps.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-19 14:34:47 »
this has been like this for a while, but it always bugs me:
Most Online Today: 2. Most Online Ever: 2 (08 May 2006, 04:00:28)

Also, do SMF support styles, maybe a nice FF7/Qhimm border @ the top of the forums? just a suggestion, i really like the new look.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-19 16:28:12 »
Also, do SMF support styles, maybe a nice FF7/Qhimm border @ the top of the forums? just a suggestion, i really like the new look.

I do like the idea of at least a slight style, this place seems way too plain for the creative minds we've got here (but maybe that's the irony to it).
What about a full-blown theme? Here's something I spent far too long on and which still doesn't look right, but you get the idea. Not that I actually think it's a good idea to have something like that, but just maybe as an option.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-19 16:33:57 by NCS »

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-19 16:44:24 »

I do like the idea of at least a slight style, this place seems way too plain for the creative minds we've got here (but maybe that's the irony to it).
What about a full-blown theme? Here's something I spent far too long on and which still doesn't look right, but you get the idea. Not that I actually think it's a good idea to have something like that, but just maybe as an option.
Love it! Don't know if it could be put in but awesome if we could make your theme the theme of the site. I'd probably call for something darker though. Oldforums used to burnout my eyes whenever I flipped on the laptop to websurf in bed in the middle of the night.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-19 22:18:54 »
I don't have an option to have an Avatar for some reason :|

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-19 22:42:25 »
I don't have an option to have an Avatar for some reason :|
v
v
Forum Profile  doesn't work?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-20 12:25:53 »
Nope, nothing about avatars there.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-06-20 21:42:32 »
What about a full-blown theme? Here's something I spent far too long on and which still doesn't look right, but you get the idea.

i actually think that looks pretty good! Something along these lines would be really cool.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-06-20 23:25:02 »
There are extensions to allow custom user styles in Firefox and Chrome, such as Stylish. Could be useful for sharing such a style without an admin having to actually implement the thing.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #15 on: 2010-06-21 15:54:51 »
Been looking into that. I don't quite get it though, is it just modifying CSS? I'm not quite sure how I'd make it work for specifically this website is all. So far, I can only install pre-created stuff from the website, copying the Qhimm CSS file in just crashes Firefox.

EDIT: Seems a style like that is almost impossible - CSS doesn't support image stretching and because the forum uses one BG image for multiple sections, it's hard to get the FF7 look right
« Last Edit: 2010-06-21 16:50:55 by NCS »

Shuffle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-06-21 16:33:41 »
Personal messages in russian language didn't displayed correct. Something with code page.

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-06-22 00:12:09 »
I think im also missing the options to change avatar etc..

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-06-22 01:28:25 »
The avatar option is there, you just can't use a preset one, you'll need to upload one to imageshack, photobucket or where ever.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-06-22 11:39:22 »

Wow if the forums have that look its like playing through the game menu in the browser. :) Love it. ;D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-06-25 01:58:28 »
Showing unread topics works, but showing ALL unread topics puts too much stress on the server and rarely works.   Search also seems to be suffering from the same thing "too much load on the server".  And finally, viewing member's posts also causes it.

Is this because of the switch to 2.0?

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #21 on: 2010-06-25 03:17:37 »
Once set avatar via URL I can't change it anymore (no option available):

My fresh 2.0RC3 copy works fine tho:

Wasn't able to find any bug report related to that.

---
Also, in general, RC3 is not so good choice, it has a bit broken search (but well, since it is completely disabled here - no big loss lol).
« Last Edit: 2010-06-25 03:26:02 by Kein »

Klownboy

• But. . .I let you die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-06-25 03:31:00 »
obesebear, i don't think the search is because of the 2.0 switch. . .i haven't been able to make a search all day today  :x

but it could just be me  :|

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-06-25 07:36:32 »
Showing unread topics works, but showing ALL unread topics puts too much stress on the server and rarely works.   Search also seems to be suffering from the same thing "too much load on the server".  And finally, viewing member's posts also causes it.
I get that problem when I click "Show new replies to your posts" even though I probably have none.  However, "Show unread posts since last visit" works fine even though I have loads of those.

Everything was working fine until earlier today, so this all seems quite random...

EDIT: I can confirm the problems with searching the forums and viewing members' posts (even my own), but searching for members seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-25 07:41:38 by The Seer of Shadows »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-06-25 10:51:50 »
Personally, the ability to not be able to search or view a users posts has partially broken the forum for me. Now there is information I simply CAN NOT find.... :(  Otherwise I like the look, any idea if search and etc will be sorted out?