Author Topic: [FF7PC/PSX] FFVII Lost Wing (1.1)  (Read 185516 times)

Cloudef

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] FFVII Lost Wing (PSX)
« Reply #25 on: 2010-11-04 16:58:04 »
Now now, don't go that far as take it as an insult. I don't think he meant to insult you, more like straightforward and rough way to give criticism and opinion.

As for me, just do the things you yourself want, that usually is the way to go and gives the best results/effort. Listening to others too much usually makes lose motivation fast.

Anyways, Imagine if this were a Anime and you'd be shouting those spell names ;<_<

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 2010-11-04 18:00:35 »
First of all, I couldn't know what the DESIGN looks like since there is no play-able beta.
Secondly, I gave generic examples of what you could call type-alligned spells. The 1,2,3 format for spells was abandoned for good reason after FF7. It's boring and uncreative.

Sure, you CAN make a wind or water spell also cut element or a earth spell also punch element but by making a spell exclusively 'shout' and calling it *psych* ... you're just taking off into nonsense land ( with a rocket propulsion engine )

( Oh and Photon could easily become Photon Lancer, and so on. AGAIN, generic examples. And wth kind of element is Laser supposed to be anyway? Laser is effectively LIGHT, but seeing how HOLY serves as he games equivalent to light as far as spells go... )

If spell names are a descriptive of what something looks like, you're gonna have a field day with the enemy skill names. L4 Suicide? oookay, looks very "L4 Suicide"-ish alright.

And "I would have let it go", what? Sorry but we have still free speech and by publishing your work in a open forum you are prone to get criticism, whether you like it or not. I am saying your spell names make no sense and are uncreative. You have yet to prove me wrong.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-11-04 18:12:18 »
You have yet to prove me wrong.

You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of "burden of proof". It is for you to prove that they make no sense and are uncreative (when compared to normal spell names in RPGs, which aren't the most logically or inventively named things). Note that simply stating your opinions as if they were facts does not constitute proof.

You also seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between on-topic forums and Completely Unrelated. Whilst the aggressive and demeaning attitude you have been showing recently fits in well over there, it is out of place here. Nearly all of your last few posts have been dedicated to telling people how stupid they are.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-11-04 18:25:12 »

You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of "burden of proof". It is for you to prove that they make no sense and are uncreative (when compared to normal spell names in RPGs, which aren't the most logically or inventively named things).
This is vague, so let me clarify. What "burden of proof" means is about what it sounds like; the person with burden of proof is the one who must prove their statement, the other person doesn't necessarily have to prove anything. In organized debate, the burden of proof ALWAYS goes to the person who makes the initial remark, and if they can't prove that, they'll lose the debate, even if the other side can't prove their counterargument. In everyday use, burden of proof is less strict, and may be shifted based on common sense. For example, if 99 out of 100 people agree, burden of proof generally goes to that lone hundredth person, regardless of who spoke first.

However, bringing up proof (Kuugen) or burden of proof (Kudi) is completely daft in this context. This is completely an opinion, impossible to prove either way.

Regarding the actual subject at hand, I *somewhat* agree that these spell names don't make a whole lot of sense, but the names themselves are plenty creative, simply by merit of being new. "Shout" is not a spell name I've seen anywhere else, making it miles more creative than one of your suggestions, "Bubble", which has been a mainstay in Pokémon for years, and used in other RPGs before that.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-11-04 18:28:23 »
However, bringing up proof (Kuugen) or burden of proof (Kudi) is completely daft in this context. This is completely an opinion, impossible to prove either way.

That's what I was getting at...

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #30 on: 2010-11-04 19:29:04 »
@Everything above.  This is exactly what I feared would happen by responding.  But since the damage is already done I may as well reply.

Alrite Kuugen, I will respond to you with a bit more respect than you have given to me.  You comment about not knowing what the design looks like is a good one because it illustrates the point that you might not have wanted to write me a message based upon ignorance.  And naming a spell and giving it an accompanying animation has little to do with the type of damage it does.  Shadow Flare...is it dark-based or fire-based?  No but I'd say that the name suits the animation perfectly.  Get my point?  I included spells that are based on Shout and Shoot so that when you encounter enemies that seem to be strong agaisnt traditional magic spells, you have an alternative group of spells to choose from.  Laser makes sense because the animation is a laser...y'know like Tail Laser and W-Laser...did you object the these spells being in the game before I made them available to the player?  Im not arguing that a Laser Beam isn't a focused beam of light...but wtf does that have to do with my game?  I am not trying to avoid criticism I am trying to scold you for your rudeness.  As Kudistos said, you have been running around the forums telling people they suck or their work is stupid.  I'm pretty sure thats frowned upon.  Like I said before, if you would have provided Constructive Criticism or phrased it like a suggestion, I would have said thank you for the input.  Instead you said that I "really really lack imagination".  You're entitled to your opinion, but most would agree that your comment is just plain rude.  Please don’t respond unless you intend to be civil about it.

Perpetuate the issue if you must, I reacted out of principle.

I understand that many people don’t like the 1, 2, 3 style, but I prefer to reserve special names for top tier spells.  Flare is Flare, not Fire4.  If the options were Blaze, Flame, Inferno, and Flare, then people might say, “Well I think Blaze sounds more menacing than Flame.” or maybe, “I can’t remember, is Inferno more powerful than Flare?”     

As far as progress goes, I am basically finished.  I had a minor issue when editing the weapons that I will have to fix today and I am gonna change Barret’s picture.  But otherwise I’m done.  Now I just need some advice on how to release it.  Pretend you were releasing a PSX mod, how would you do it?
« Last Edit: 2010-11-04 19:38:14 by xLostWingx »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-11-04 19:38:12 »
I'd advise releasing it as a PPF patch. That seems to be the standard for Playstation games.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-11-04 19:50:27 »
Thank you Covarr.  I will play around with this today when I have a chance. 

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 2010-11-04 21:04:59 »

You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of "burden of proof". It is for you to prove that they make no sense and are uncreative (when compared to normal spell names in RPGs, which aren't the most logically or inventively named things). Note that simply stating your opinions as if they were facts does not constitute proof.

You also seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between on-topic forums and Completely Unrelated. Whilst the aggressive and demeaning attitude you have been showing recently fits in well over there, it is out of place here. Nearly all of your last few posts have been dedicated to telling people how stupid they are.

My last few posts are about telling people how stupid they are? wait, what? I told someone he's dumb because he is overlooking basic tactics in a hardcore mod, which is to a certain degree justified. And I didn't call lostwing stupid but uncreative and there are LIGHTYEARS between those two things. So you might wanna elaborate where I am going around telling everyone that they're stupid.
Also, I'm not a robot, i'm prone to have bad and good days, and such show in my post.

As far as the names issue goes, I voiced my opinion, I stand by it. I have no problem seeing the difference between re-named fire1,2,3 spells and flare, simply because it's still in the same order in the magic menu. Also, you can put info texts on the spells. The difference between "small fire damage" "moderate fire damage" "heavy fire damage" "Extreme fire damage"  ( all generic examples before you jump on the exact words again ) is well.. obvious. So your argument that renaming spells would confuse people is a bit shaky.

Also, you obviously haven't checked my posts, otherwise you wouldn't jump on the "durr hurr you tell everyone they're stupid and suck" bandwagon that Kudis started ( with the enormous backing of maybe 4 posts in total where I wasn't civil about things. ) You might want do check for yourself next time, to keep your dignity.

Oh, and just a piece of actual advice: Not every critic is nice and cake.
I'm not ignorant, just not a very nice person.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-11-04 22:34:44 »
My last few posts are about telling people how stupid they are? wait, what? I told someone he's dumb because he is overlooking basic tactics in a hardcore mod, which is to a certain degree justified. And I didn't call lostwing stupid but uncreative and there are LIGHTYEARS between those two things. So you might wanna elaborate where I am going around telling everyone that they're stupid.

You should go onto your profile some time. There's a wonderful button called "show posts".

Also, I'm not a robot, i'm prone to have bad and good days, and such show in my post.

Sounds like you've had a bad past couple of weeks. Not that you should be letting your personal feelings influence the way you interact to such an extent.

Also, you obviously haven't checked my posts, otherwise you wouldn't jump on the "durr hurr you tell everyone they're stupid and suck" bandwagon that Kudis started

Obviously they're jumping on a bandwagon. It couldn't just be that other people have also noticed the aggressive posts you've been making as of late but were too afraid to say anything because they knew you'd react with a flamewar.

You might want do check for yourself next time, to keep your dignity.

You're such a sweet talker! It's no wonder that everyone thinks you're such a respectful person who only makes constructive criticisms.

I can see that you're the flamewar kind of person, so if you want to continue this, make a thread in Completely Unrelated. Let's not shit up a project thread any more.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-04 22:36:38 by Kudistos Megistos »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-11-04 23:36:25 »
I can see that you're the flamewar kind of person, so if you want to continue this, make a thread in Completely Unrelated. Let's not sh*t up a project thread any more.

Agreed, Kuugenthefox you have been a general asshat for a while now and I am not amused. If you have something constructive to say and you are able to say it with some civility you can post it here. If not then keep to unrelated.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-11-05 05:19:59 »
Well it seems that I inadvertently overwrote some kernel pieces.  Time to do 3/4 of the weapons again.  I hope my memory is working well tonite because I do not feel like reconceptualizing all of those things again.  About half of the changes I need to make AGAIN I can just use my initial modded kernel as a reference.  Sorry Cloudef lol, I was gonna have this available tonite, but it may not be until tomorrow night now.  I think it will be worth the wait though (depending on how you play FFVII, but I think its almost perfectly in tune with my play style).

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-11-05 13:12:48 »
Haha, frequent backups, is must for a dev  ;)

Anyways, no need to hurry. I'm not going to get my Pandora anytime soon to play it throughly.
So just take your time.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] FFVII Lost Wing (PSX)
« Reply #38 on: 2010-11-05 22:35:39 »
Release!  Check the first page for a link.  I haven't included the info necessary to use Young Cloud and Sephiroth though.  Although I suppose I can do that here in a quick and dirty format.

Google PEC playstation emulation cheater.  Download it.  Follow instructions for using it with your psx emulator.

Once you got this up and running correctly you gotta create some codes in your user database.  Here are the codes you will need to use Young Cloud and Sephiroth:

First, Controlling Sephiroth: 

Next, Seph and Young Cloud have Limit Breaks: 

For using Young Cloud after meeting Cait Sith: 

And just in case you don't have it, this unlocks USO menu or whatever its called.  You'll need it to get Seph and Young Cloud in your party (Seph = 10, Young Cloud = 9)

Remember people, I've never done anything like this before and probably won't do anything like this again.  I just wanted to have a FFVII that complimented my playing style and decided it would be nice of me to make it available to others since there is a severe lack of PSX mods.  As far as installing this thing goes, I spent all day trying to figure out this stuff and eventually got it to work for me.  I tested the process that I wrote in the InstallationInstructions and it worked. 
« Last Edit: 2010-11-06 08:15:41 by xLostWingx »

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-11-05 23:10:10 »
Downloading! Thank you, for your hard work.  :-)

I'll play it a bit on PC first, and then probably play it fully later on Pandora.
I seriously should focus atm on my OpenGL framework project ;<_<

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-11-05 23:19:54 »
Oh Crap!

Just realized I forgot some things in the Kernel.  I will fix it later tonite.  If you did download the first file I posted then:

-You start out with the Buster Sword, its way overpowered at this part of the game.  You are suppose to have Mythril Saber.  You will get one in Sector 6 or gameshark it in till I fix it.

-You start with the traditional materia.  You are suppose to have Water and Wind Materia.

-Starting materia and equipment for other characters are also unchanged.  They are suppose to be different.

Edit:  Alrite I fixed it.  Let me know if something is messed up.  I've burnt myself out with this crap today.  Hope you enjoy it Cloudef.  I also stuck a few materia on Sephiroth that can't be obtained through regular play.  They're pretty powerful though, so decide when its appropriate to start using them.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-06 06:53:42 by xLostWingx »

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-11-06 08:05:17 »
Ok, downloading the new version right now =)

Still haven't got the time yet to test it, but I'm going to let you know when I can.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-11-06 08:35:22 »
Thanks for taking interest.  I noticed that it doesn't seem very difficult in the beginning, but there are a few points that can be challenging.  For me, the fun starts in the Train Graveyard, then a tough Reno battle, then the Shinra Building.  Which reminds me, in the original version of my mod when Reno cast Pyramid on someone, occasionally it wouldn't let you return them.  This is suppose to be the non-buggy version though, so hopefully this isn't the case.  But I'll let you experience it on your own  :-)

Cloud1000

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-11-06 09:32:12 »
is it possible for you to make this mod PC compatible? That would be even more awesome cuz FF7 PC has way more features / more mods ect. So it will be alot more fun.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-11-06 21:21:14 »
is it possible for you to make this mod PC compatible? That would be even more awesome cuz FF7 PC has way more features / more mods ect. So it will be alot more fun.

Yes it is possible.  I can probably do that.  Might be a little while though.  With a bit of research, you might be able to do it yourself in the meantime.

Cloud1000

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-11-07 00:38:58 »
i extracted the kernel and scene.bin from the new bin file. But I dont know how to convert those files into PC FF7. I can read kernel.bin fine with wallmarket. scene.bin Dont remember what program is used to open it...  :D

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-11-07 01:18:47 »
Open the Kernel.bin with WallMarket.  Then I am fairly sure it is as simple as clicking the PC tab at the bottom, and saving it.  I could be wrong, but the WallMarket thread probably has this information.

I think that the scene.bin from PSX is compatible with PC and vice versa.  The program for viewing the scene.bin is Hojo or Proud Clod (PRC).  Refer to their respective threads or ask around.  Make sure that you Update the Kernel with Hojo before using it just in case the PSX -> PC conversion changed anything.

I am glad you are interested in my mod enough to take such initiative.  I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT:  If you are looking for a hardcore mod, this may or may not suit your needs.  While it can be difficult at various points in the game, I would hesitate to call it HardCore.  It really depends on your own level of skill.  If you routinely kick the ass of various FFVII challenges or other HardCore mods, then this will provide little challange.  However, if you are looking for some fresh spice for the game and the option to customize your battle strategies, my mod is great.  Thats not to say that your skills won't be challenged if you keep your level low and resist optimization in favor of distinction.

EDIT2:  I decided that I should mention that I have only tested up to the Ancient Temple.  Since I haven't tested any further (and this is where you encounter some of the best bosses and high HP enemies, some things may be out of balance.  I intend to play through the whole game and later fix anything that doesn't fit.  I already suspect that some random encounters later in the game might be too difficult or just have too much HP.  Or I may have accidentally left something unchanged.  I spent 95% of my time on the Kernel.

I realized something else.  In the Kalm Flashback, when you battle the Dragon, you will be using a low level Sephiroth and Young Cloud (unless you've leveled them up).  If you have control of Sephiroth then you can try this battle as a Mega-Challenge.  If you don't have control of Sephiroth then this battle may take awhile, so go have a snack or something.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-07 16:58:14 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
Playthrough to check for errors
« Reply #47 on: 2010-11-08 07:34:15 »
I began a new game with my latest files.  The ones that are currently available for download (11/8/2010).  I am going to check for mistakes and take notes on what needs corrected,  Depending on the impact of the out of balance components, I will be updating the download link periodically. Changes to be made:

- Guard Skorpion for some strange reason gives you a Wizard Bracelet.  Do Not use this, you are not suppose to have it.
- Some of the initially equipped materia (On Cid and Sephiroth) are mastered. (Fixed)
- Young Cloud's level 1 Limit Doesn't work. (Fixed, changed to Slots)
- Sephiroth doesn't gain MP when he levels up (tried fixing this...not sure what the problem is)
- Jenova Birth was way too hard (Fixed)
- Get top tier accessory at Fort Condor 2nd battle (Fixed, now you get Ice Ring)
- Dyne needs to be more difficult.
- White Wind Always Misses
« Last Edit: 2010-11-15 00:26:56 by xLostWingx »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Playthrough to check for errors
« Reply #48 on: 2010-11-08 18:30:52 »
I'm smart and I know how to get around the word filter.

You do realize that telling people not to use it probably won't help, right? It's like a slot machine giving out jackpot when it's not scheduled, and telling the gambler not to collect.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-11-08 18:36:46 »
I began a new game with my latest files.  The ones that are currently available for download (11/8/2010).  I am going to check for mistakes and take notes on what needs corrected,  Depending on the impact of the out of balance components, I will be updating the download link periodically. Changes to be made:

- Guard Skorpion for some fuċking reason gives you a Wizard Bracelet.  Do Not use this, you are not suppose to have it.

We get it. You're so upset with...something.. that you actually need to take the time to get around the word filter.   Don't be gay.   In order to further incite your untamed rage with...whatever.. warning issued.