Author Topic: The Rules  (Read 46271 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules
« Reply #25 on: 2011-02-28 21:08:56 »
Changed the rules around some.  Got rid of some.  Added some.  It's also now prettier because I added colors and sh*t.   As always, suggestions, comments, complaints?

The colours should hopefully draw people's attention to the "what goes where" rules, which seem to be the ones newbies need the most help with.

There are a couple of formatting issues, however (a couple of rogue size tags and a failed line break at the "multiple accounts" bit).

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-02-28 21:14:37 »
Needs one more touch of color :P Change the color of the word "Muted" under the Warnings section to red.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-03-01 01:04:39 »
Guys, I swear to God all that is fixed as I'm modifying it, but when it is previewed and/or saved a lot of the formatting goes away.   I guess SMF 2.0 RC3 still has some issues, but how it is now is about the best I can do

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #28 on: 2011-03-05 20:52:39 »
Read the new rules and felt I should make it aware that I had an original account but somehow got locked out of it (idk why). So feel free to delete the inactive LostWingx because I can't use it.  We shouldn't post in necros after they've already been bumped? This makes sense, but unfortunately I did this earlier today.  The necromancer got my hopes up and it was already at the top of the board, sorry, I'll refrain from this in the future.

Malika

« Reply #29 on: 2011-05-08 12:04:59 »
Roger man....!!!

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #30 on: 2011-05-08 13:01:19 »
Roger man....!!!
Ah, the irony.

I'd suggest not making pointless posts in loads of old threads to increase your post count or whatever you're up to. :wink:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-05-08 16:38:48 »
Roger man....!!!
I suspect a spambot.  User is moderated until proof is provided showing otherwise.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-05-08 17:08:41 »
I suspect a spambot.  User is moderated until proof is provided showing otherwise.

I suspect it's Death Gigas/Billie Jean/whatever you call him ;D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-05-08 22:29:40 »
I suspect it's Death Gigas/Billie Jean/whatever you call him :-D
How did I miss the ellipsis!?  Honestly, it really wouldn't surprise me with the quality of the posts.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-05-20 17:53:28 »
Request: Could the "We Do Not Condone Software Piracy" rule be moved to the top of the list, or at least within the top three? I feel like it's a very important rule, but people are likely to get to as far as the section detailing what each individual board is for, assume that the rest of the rules are just common sense, and miss it. Unfortunately, people don't consider not discussing breaking the law openly and publicly to be common sense these days.  :|

GoHurtSomething

• Making geeks look sexy since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-06-06 21:29:12 »
Been reading this post. and as a noob with an inspiration to eventually add to the modding community, I have found this website especially helpful. I have read the rules and appreciate all of them. However what posts go where is still a thing for me to get a hold of. And about you guys giving the impression that your ass h*les, well you guys are experienced modders who want challenging propositions and questions. so of course if a real noob asks silly questions, double posts and other jargon. they should expect abuse. I think necroposting should be explained or simplified to "don't post on dead threads" cause I'v just figured out what necroposting is today. i thought it had something to do with the TES series. lol! anyway I will end by saying thank you all to whom make this forum possible because I've never enjoyed FF so much in my life, and it was damn amazing in the first place.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-06 21:30:49 by GoHurtSomething »

ShoeUnited

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-11-07 17:20:57 »
I don't know if your mod powers allow this but, I used to mod, admin, and even own a couple servers where I had boards in the days of yesteryear.  I have to agree with the above user that the conversation that went on seems to be on putting anybody in a good light.  I'd suggest (seeing as this is an smf forum) to do the following:

Break the original post into multiple parts.  This will get around the editing issue the OP was having and allow things like each post going into detail/being topic oriented  Example:  First post covers topics, subsequent posts cover more information on those topics.

Cutting out this discussion cruft.  Everything after the rules postings should be cut from the thread and thrown in the trash.  If there needs to be discussion on the rules then the users or mods should (have) create(d) one.  As it stands, these are fine and easy to understand rules. 

While you can slap me with a hammer for necrobumping, I decided to post here instead of PM on two general ideas.  First, I don't know how much cruft the mods and admins get in their PM box.  Second, this assures that some mod/admin will see this and take appropriate action.

Edit: I forgot to mention, lock this thread afterwards!  -_-

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #37 on: 2012-09-17 22:22:02 »
new guys are killing me. double posts, double threads, not searching, some being rude. and even long time members getting in arguments. can we enforce these more and become stricter.

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2012-09-17 23:57:28 »
Maybe make it so when they sign up it auto directs them to here, instead of hoping they do the right thing and find the rules.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-09-17 23:59:41 »
What annoys me the repliers to the people double posting, double threading, not searching etc.

Double posting seems to be something of an issue with some people, and I don't know what it stems from. I know I have seen users on other forums (and perhaps being one however many years ago) that believes higher post counts are important. But that doesn't matter, especially not here. It's all about only posting if you have something to say and can contribute something. And that's a separate rule. --But my main problem with the double posting rule is that it only gives people cause to derail threads and not post things that don't contribute something.

Double threads (in terms of creating a thread twice) is as simple as telling the user to use one thread and move on. Duplicate threads (as in someone creating a thread of the same nature) is as simple as linking to the user and telling the user to use search.

Avoiding conflict is often as easy as not responding. I don't know why people think it's helpful to respond to someone who claims to have used the search when you don't think they have (even if they haven't) and tell them they are wrong. How does that better anyone? If the person did use search, you start an argument. If the person did not? Then what? They lie, or they admit they didn't. In the former you get stupid arguments, in the latter you get nothing. Once the user knows the correct thread and they have been told to use search the thread is over. Even if the creator wants to say they actually did, it doesn't matter to anyone else anymore.

I also find it annoying to read people responding to threads saying "this will never happen". Sure, if someone has an idea that requires a lot of work to get done, say that it's not a simple task and unless someone is really interested in the idea and has the know-how it will never happen, but that is all that needs to be said. You don't need to argue. And if the other person expands on the original idea and doesn't make an effort to tackle the requirements suggested, you don't need to say it again. They already know. People can dream.

But it's all "don't be a dick" and "reporting posts" (instead of telling a user they're doing it wrong).

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 2012-09-18 07:04:28 »
If new people can't be bothered to read the rules, I can't be bothered to be nice or even decent.