Author Topic: Looking for translators to join me  (Read 2449 times)

Thisguyaresick2

Looking for translators to join me
« on: 2013-11-15 12:56:34 »
Hi, I'm still new here and I came here seeking help.

I'm looking for some really good translators that could join me in my FF7 translation project. If anyone's interested, just PM me. Unfortunately, there's only one person *really* helping me (the others are giving me suggestions, but just that isn't enough), but I don't know if he decided to join me full-time; AND, he told me that his knowledge of Japanese is very basic (just like me), so it wouldn't hurt to have one more translator. If I ever find this person, I might change my ideas a little about my project and take it to a higher level, making a full retranslation of the game (yes, the reason why my project wasn't going to be full retranslation was because I couldn't find any translator; I was on my own). But, it won't be a full relocalisation of the game, because I want to keep most of the recurring stuff, so that players would recognize what is recurring and what isn't.

This is the forum where I came from and my own thread:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17004.0.html

Requirements:
-You must know both Japanese and English to a high level

Edit: Looks like I wasn't being very precise. Originally, I wanted translators to help me change some dialogue lines. The way Cait Sith originally speaks in the game, for instance, was very inconsistent. When he appears for the first time, he uses an OK English; but after some time, his speech becomes totally informal, and then, for no apparent reason his normal speech returns. Another thing that annoys me is Barret's "yo foo'". I read some parts of the original script, and he wasn't like that, just like DLPB said (Barret even calls Cloud "Cloud-san", or "Sorujaa-san").
« Last Edit: 2013-11-16 17:41:19 by Thisguyaresick2 »

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for translators to join me
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-15 13:58:49 »
Good luck, you'll need it.  Only Luksy was willing to help me and I did ask numerous people.  I am not sure what your plans are?  If you want to re-translate the non-dialogue it has already been done and the document we released shows the translation and relocalisation.  If you are talking about dialogue, and aren't doing a proper localization, what is the plan?

There isn't going to be a better relocalization than the one we have done.  I am not just saying that.  I mean seriously... the time put it in, the amount of work we have done, and the checks... it's a phenomenal task, and we've done it as well as it can be done really.  The installer I have made allows people to keep the american spellings and the so called canon names for things, as well as original place names.

You'd just be better off using our work (modifying parts you want to change) and making a release out of it.  As long as we were given full credit for it with links, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 14:02:57 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-15 14:11:27 »
When I was talking about full retranslation, I meant the dialogue. When I was talking about localisation, I meant the non-dialogue (certain item names, spells, equipment, enemy names, etc). I used most of the enemy attacks you guys translated, the problem is that there are some recurrent enemy attacks in this game (like this one). In my opinion, it's all this "recurring stuff" is what makes Final Fantasy more Final Fantasy-ish.

EDIT: And, well, I never said this was going to be a port of the Beacause project.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 14:14:29 by Thisguyaresick2 »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-15 14:17:03 »
also known as Kamaitachi,

It has been localized in other ff games as this as well.  I have no issue with you modifying parts as long as you make that clear and credit us for the parts you use.  The dialogue localization will be faithful to the game, and where it isn't people get a choice.  I don't foresee any need for you to modify that anyway...?

The problem you are going to have by picking and choosing what to keep is you are going to get an inconsistent translation/localization.  I have chosen things to be close to what the writers wanted because that's what a good localizer does.  I don't care for keeping things the same way they have always been done if it's completely wrong.  The above name IS Final Fantasy, it's what the original writers chose and it's in the Japanese game.

Again, I don't mind you using our work as part of your own.  :)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 14:39:40 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-15 15:17:14 »
The problem you are going to have by picking and choosing what to keep is you are going to get an inconsistent translation/localization.
Yeah, people already told me that. But you kept spells like Firaga as "Firaga" (instead of "Figa"), so that means your translation isn't 100% faithful either.

Again, I don't mind you using our work as part of your own.  :)
Well, personally I prefer to have my own translation. It's just that I suck when it comes to naming enemy attacks, that's why I asked you that.

It has been localized in other ff games as this as well.
I didn't know that. Which FF it was? I played FF6A, and it was Wind Slash.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 15:22:16 by Thisguyaresick2 »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-15 15:36:09 »
Yeah, people already told me that. But you kept spells like Firaga as "Firaga" (instead of "Figa"), so that means your translation isn't 100% faithful either.

You can't have a 100% translation, that's not how localization works.  Firaga has been used in nearly all FF games and because it works better than "Figa" which is also a swear word in Italian(?).  There are times when ultra adherence to rigid naming is silly.  There are times when changing things is unprofessional (like changing Zax to Zack), unless there is agreement from the writers.  Changing things that don't work in English or adding consistency isn't a problem, it's when facts and character names are changed, or when anything is changed to the point the meaning is changed.  There is no such thing as "firaga" or "figa"  or any ga... so it is up to the localizer.  As long as it stays true to the idea.  Firaga, Thundaga works.  It's not like people who read "Firaga" are going to care whether it was Figa.  It's such a small thing that doesn't change anything. 

I didn't know that. Which FF it was?

Don't know, but the wiki only adds things it has been known by. 
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 15:40:19 by DLPB »

Rundas

• Freak
  • What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-15 20:52:05 »
I'm all for new work regardless of previous projects, but to be brutally honest:
  • This took like 3 years
  • It was done cooperatively by an English/Japanese speaker and someone with god-like determination
  • You factually can't get any "better" aside from personal preference on names, in which case like he said, it would be more practical to just modify theirs
  • He played through the game 3 (currently on number 4?) times to review all the dialogue changes

Bottom line, whatever you're doing, it would make more sense to work off of what's already there instead of starting from scratch.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #7 on: 2013-11-15 21:38:04 »
I'm not going to start all over again. The scene.bin is practically done, the kernel.bin is practically fully translated, both chocobo.bin and battle.x are finished, and I won't re-retranslate them (unless I committed any mistranslations). And yes, I do have A LOT of determination. I don't care if it'll take 3, 4 or 5 years for me to finish it, I want it to be finished. I'll never give up.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15 23:04:21 by Thisguyaresick2 »