Author Topic: Can't initialize sound  (Read 10410 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Can't initialize sound
« on: 2014-04-04 15:52:31 »
This isn't exactly FF7 or FF8 related as the problem is outside the scope of the two. I can't load FF7 at all (haven't tried 8). I'm using Aali's latest driver with a slightly modded 1.02 exe. Not using it causes the error too. I can even tell you what line is causing the problem (which is why I know it's not in any of the FF7 files). The actual error is:

Debugged application message:    ERROR: No sound driver is available for use. in FILE C:\lib\src\sound\dx_snd.cpp LINE 68

which doesn't make it into the APP.LOG so I won't bother posting that. I will mention one thing, though. Some time before I noticed this happening I installed Dead Space 3 via Origin (I wouldn't have that except it came in a Humble Bundle) and did something to make my headphones work with it because EA thinks they have to do sound that one way for that game. :P I just want to know if anyone had this problem and managed to fix it.

FF7Config works fine though.

Kompass63

• View Profile
Re: Can't initialize sound
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-05 02:48:44 »
It may be that the FF7Conig sets the registry value for the sound to a different location than the ff7.exe then reads it.
Set both programs on the same compatibility mode.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-05 03:19:49 »
It may be that the FF7Conig sets the registry value for the sound to a different location than the ff7.exe then reads it.
Set both programs on the same compatibility mode.

That's a thought. I know it was working before the whole DS3 thing though, but I'll double check this.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-05 12:51:58 »
Another reason could be that you have not installed the required Runtime-software, eg

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-05 17:16:37 »
Another reason could be that you have not installed the required Runtime-software, eg

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package
...I know it was working before...

You can't uninstall those .Net runtimes. At least, not easily and there's never any reason to. I'd be getting errors in other programs if they weren't there and FF7 is the only thing that's messing up.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-06 01:52:02 »
You can't uninstall those .Net runtimes.
Yes, you're right, I was not thinking properly :-[

The registry keys are "Sound_GUID" at Position

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"

or for 64 Bit Systems

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"

If you set the value of each to nothing, ff7 is forced to recalculate the value.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-06 19:31:56 »
Yes, you're right, I was not thinking properly :-[

The registry keys are "Sound_GUID" at Position

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"

or for 64 Bit Systems

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound"

If you set the value of each to nothing, ff7 is forced to recalculate the value.

I know this, but I changed the registry settings to point to a different location 'cause that's what I do. :P

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-07 02:01:33 »
I know this, but I changed the registry settings to point to a different location 'cause that's what I do. :P
? ? ?
I would like to know more detail.

By the way, I could see 26 entries of the dx_snd.cpp within the FF7.exe, same number in the FF7Config.exe
I guess it is a piece of C++ source code that is recompiled each time with different values.
And the values ​​gets FF7 from the registry ...

But this is now just a guess

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-07 13:37:07 »
? ? ?
I would like to know more detail.
It's a basic hex edit of the hard-coded string paths to the registry. I just changed it from "Final Fantasy VII" to "Final Fantasy VI2" so I can keep one copy free of Aali's driver so I know what mechanics are actually happening outside the influence of his "meddling". :)

By the way, I could see 26 entries of the dx_snd.cpp within the FF7.exe, same number in the FF7Config.exe
I guess it is a piece of C++ source code that is recompiled each time with different values.
And the values ​​gets FF7 from the registry ...

But this is now just a guess
That's because the compiler used uses massive sanity checks and they didn't have a global string class. It's the same file with 26 different entry points. I've got a debugger that can tell me each location that pulls or sets a value to the registry so I know where it's happening. The actual error occurs in one of the dxsound.dll files that seems to call an arbitrary address in wow2cpu.dll (or something like that). I could get a lot more technical than that, but I am about 99.8% positive that it has nothing to do with the settings or configuration of the ff7 installation.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-08 02:05:33 »
I fear that exceeds my knowledge.
I've never really dedicated myself to programming in high level languages.

A little bit Command Line Scripting is all I can.
If it is only a matter Aalis driver to switch on and off or to exchange one set of keys that would go with Command Line.
Then you do not need to change the location of the keys, you exchanges the values of the keys.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-16 15:39:39 »
I figured it out. I had to uninstall and re-install IDT's Audio Driver then run my modified FF7Config in admin mode to alter the correct registry entry.