Author Topic: New HQ Barret Project  (Read 11282 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
New HQ Barret Project
« on: 2014-04-28 03:39:26 »

This is an early renderer of the model.
Well I haven't made a big progress since my first post about this. But I've learned many new good things. So I use bunch of textures let Blender generate a single texture. I also plan to map Ambient Occlusion on the model, but this must be done for every piece separate. In the end the model will look very similar to the renderer but without the specula lights.

So where I'm creating a new model, I decided to overhaul all his weapons, too.
The basic idea is to give him two weapons, a main gun for his normal attacks and a sub gun for the most of his limit attacks.

Here without the main gun.

This means that I need to design entirely new weapons for him which do not conflict with the new gun. (His joke weapon will be an exception.)

I'm still learning to paint textures. The new blender build has got some changes in the GUI, so it's currently a bit confusing to me.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-28 04:22:47 by Kaldarasha »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: New HQ Barret Project
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-28 03:49:01 »
Previews? haha, i am on my phone and would love to check it out! but sadly my phone can't run FF7 :P

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-28 04:25:41 »
Sorry, the links were an accident. They didn't had to do something with this project.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-28 09:46:29 »
Looking forward to it and of course the weapon models!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-02 23:53:10 »
Very promising, as always. By the way, I'd have some "noobish" question about textures. Namely, I was wondering how the textures you make on a 3d model within blender are handled outside of blender (such as "in game", for instance). In particular, I have no clue as to how specularity or bumpmaps would be managed. In the same trend of questions, do you think there might be a remote possibility of using materials developed for Cycles render?
At this point, I personally never tried to create objects in Blender so that I would import them in game, but I am definitely considering working later on items such as treasure chests, potions, materias, etc. In addition, some fields include very large 3d objects which would have to fit somewhat seamlessly with the background (the trains of the train graveyard come to mind, in particular). Having proper texturing will be very important for these tasks, so if you'd have some tips, it'll be much appreciated.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-03 11:10:11 »
Specular and bumpmapping would have to be baked onto the diffuse texture, due to the age of the engine.

Aali's driver apparently has normal map support but very little has been said about how to make use use it.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-03 16:08:30 »
Specular and bumpmapping would have to be baked onto the diffuse texture, due to the age of the engine.

Aali's driver apparently has normal map support but very little has been said about how to make use use it.

Thanks. So if I understand correctly, there's no actual rendition of specularity in game, it's something we have to fake by including it in the diffuse texture. Being able to use bumpmaps would be a great improvement, I'd have liked to test that I hadn't my hands full.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-05 03:18:24 »
I need to wait for a new AC/DC adapter for my laptop before I can completely respond. The cable is broken. Made in China you know.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-07 16:39:46 »
Damn it, made in China again...  :-\

It's only possible to use diffuse textures, which is actually enough for me. As far as I can tell does only the field scenes have lighting*, so bumpmapping would be probably useless when the engine renders a full 3D module (like battles as example). Specular maps would be awesome but I guess it would have the same problem as the bump maps. Maybe if the q-gears project is finished someday we get some more possibilities.
What would be more interesting for me is if we could use mesh distortion for the models. One reason is that it would reduce the polygon and the texture size, the other reason is of course is the better looking of the model. In theory it would be simple, if a program would connect a skeleton to the hrc and the animation files and  the new model would be rigged to the skeleton. Well I never have rigged a model so possibly this is a shot in the blue.

*It looks like that FF7 is here a bit more advanced over 8 and 9. They seem not to use lighting in game because of the textures of the models. All what they do is to change the brightness and color of the model. At last in 9.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-07 19:05:55 »
Sorry, the links were an accident. They didn't had to do something with this project.
Your phone doesn't run PSX emus???

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-05-07 19:18:21 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-05-07 22:55:13 »

Mine doesn't even run any emulators, don't use my phone enough to warrant a smartphone, got a LG Vibe, touch screen but by no means a modern smartphone, makes calls and sends texts which is all I need.

As for the model, looking good but maybe dirty up the metal on the belt, wrist band and gun.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-05-08 01:15:13 »
Damn it, made in China again...  :-\

It's only possible to use diffuse textures, which is actually enough for me. As far as I can tell does only the field scenes have lighting*, so bumpmapping would be probably useless when the engine renders a full 3D module (like battles as example). Specular maps would be awesome but I guess it would have the same problem as the bump maps. Maybe if the q-gears project is finished someday we get some more possibilities.
What would be more interesting for me is if we could use mesh distortion for the models. One reason is that it would reduce the polygon and the texture size, the other reason is of course is the better looking of the model. In theory it would be simple, if a program would connect a skeleton to the hrc and the animation files and  the new model would be rigged to the skeleton. Well I never have rigged a model so possibly this is a shot in the blue.

*It looks like that FF7 is here a bit more advanced over 8 and 9. They seem not to use lighting in game because of the textures of the models. All what they do is to change the brightness and color of the model. At last in 9.
So... if I understand correctly, speaking in Blender-like terminology (because I only know that  :-[ ), you mean that the illumination of 3d models is similar to an "ambient" lighting, without direction? That's too bad (although, not surprising). When  you mean that you have lighting in fields, is it like "ambient" lighting or would it have direction (like point or sun lamp)? By the way, in the wishlist of graphical features, I would add the ability for models to cast shadows.
As for rigging and mesh distortion, I know Blender can do it, but I don't know if it would be remotely feasible to convert that into something usable in-game. I agree it would make better looking models, however my (naive) opinion would be that poly counts and texture sizes wouldn't be much of an issue since the rendering 3d models would be the only items requiring processing power (since environments are essentially 2d).

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #13 on: 2014-05-08 02:10:32 »
So... if I understand correctly, speaking in Blender-like terminology (because I only know that  :-[ ), you mean that the illumination of 3d models is similar to an "ambient" lighting, without direction? That's too bad (although, not surprising). When  you mean that you have lighting in fields, is it like "ambient" lighting or would it have direction (like point or sun lamp)? By the way, in the wishlist of graphical features, I would add the ability for models to cast shadows.
As for rigging and mesh distortion, I know Blender can do it, but I don't know if it would be remotely feasible to convert that into something usable in-game. I agree it would make better looking models, however my (naive) opinion would be that poly counts and texture sizes wouldn't be much of an issue since the rendering 3d models would be the only items requiring processing power (since environments are essentially 2d).

Adding the ability for models to cast shadows would be really cool, but falls into the new game engine list. Kind of like the idea of making the flame on Red XIII's tail actually move and flicker. I'm certainly all for a new process of rigging models. I don't have a ton of experience rigging models but Maya and Blender would offer a lot more control and customization than kimera, the trick is just being able to import them into the game. As for polycount Mayo Master is right, you can stretch the limit of what you can import pretty far. Even next-gen game models can work. They may cause Kimera to crash though so configuring pieces may be tricky, but removing the texture usually fixes it.   

Seclet

• Todo esta permitido...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-05-11 14:46:43 »
Good one question? someone has you model using slayernext aeris? I do not see it anywhere to download