Author Topic: Packaging the installation into an ISO  (Read 1536 times)

WolfMan

• Insane poster
  • One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
Packaging the installation into an ISO
« on: 2014-05-20 17:30:15 »
Ok ladies and gents. This is my first post. I'd like to start by saying hi and thank you for accepting me. So... question (forgive me if its a little stupid) Is there anyway to take the way I have setup all of my mods and repackage it into an ISO so I can give it to my brother and he can install it with minimal steps?

Obviously gameconverter, reunion and Aali driver would still need manual install, But Im wondering if there is a way to create a setup package that goes from installing the game to installing all other neccassary files and programs.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • The Great Redarr.
    • View Profile
Re: Packaging the installation into an ISO
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-20 18:00:57 »
Installing the game (or pretty much anything) is as simple as copying the files and setting some registry entries. It's plenty possible to build an installer that goes straight from 0 to fully modded in one easy step, and stick the whole thing on a single DVD. The only catch is, you need to know your way around NSIS, Inno, or some other install builder (I prefer NSIS myself).

As far as including game converter, reunion, and Aali's driver, this should be fine as long as you're not distributing it. I know Aali in particular does not like redistribution of his driver, but as you will not be sharing this online I don't think it's a big deal.

NFITC1

• No life
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-20 18:04:37 »
Fortunately I had the foresight to copy the registry settings into a reg file and keep it in the ff7 folder. That makes for near-straight drag/drop installation. I'm not going to provide said file, but it's all contained in the Square Soft Inc./Final Fantasy VII path in your registry. Just tell the registry editor to export the settings in that folder and import it on a new machine. That's way faster than installing via CD.

sithlord48

• No life
  • Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-20 18:39:38 »
Fortunately I had the foresight to copy the registry settings into a reg file and keep it in the ff7 folder. That makes for near-straight drag/drop installation. I'm not going to provide said file, but it's all contained in the Square Soft Inc./Final Fantasy VII path in your registry. Just tell the registry editor to export the settings in that folder and import it on a new machine. That's way faster than installing via CD.

that is basicly what i do except that its "installed" to wine. The difference being i have to open regedit in wine to import the reg file instead of it happening when i click on it.

WolfMan

• Insane poster
  • One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-20 19:04:19 »
Thanks guys. Im going to start on this today. My brother and I grew up on this game and he just really isn't as computer savvy as I am. I've never done this before, but I learn really easily. :) PS: This is my favorite forum ever