Author Topic: Request: FF8 Re-translation  (Read 2838 times)

EliParker

• View Profile
Request: FF8 Re-translation
« on: 2014-12-18 02:33:15 »
Has anyone create or plan to create a Re-Translation mod for FF VIII? I 'm asking for this mod as the English transalation isn't faithful to the Japanese version.

I can try to help, but I don't know where to start.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Request: FF8 Re-translation
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-18 19:43:15 »
I'd like to point out that translators for FF8 were given a much larger room for improvisation, and modified bits here and there, which does not make it faithful, but makes the experience more enjoyable than if it were translated solely based on the Japanese version. At least that's how I felt it.

Shard

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-19 18:26:37 »
What do you mean by "faithful?" Do you want a literal, straight translation from Japanese?

DLPB

• No life
  • My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-19 19:14:43 »

I don't know Japanese, but I've been told FF8 was translated much better than 7, at least.  But I very much doubt they did anywhere near the best job they could have, coming straight after what happened in 7.  I take it you do understand Japanese?  In what way was the English version badly localized/translated.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-19 23:16:29 by DLPB »

falkTX

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-19 20:05:17 »
I read somewhere that some of Squall's "..." dialog is literally "I'm sorry" in japanese, which kinda makes sense.

Roden

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-19 20:17:50 »
A more literal translation would be good. I noticed lots of little things from just playing the first few scenes or so - some notes I made a couple of months ago:
- Trepie is Trepe FC (stands for Fan Club)

- Some things are a bit more specific in Japanese, like the following phrase in the official translation could be confusing:
Quistis: "Meet in the hall at 1600 hours. I'll announce the team assignments there."
「16時、ホールに集合。各班のメンバーを発表します。」
Literally its: At 16:00 hours, gather in the hall. I'll announce the members of each team"

Another example:
- Quistis: Those not participating and those who failed last week's test are to remain here in study hall.
Lit: As for the people who are not joining the test, and people who failed last week's written examination, they will self study here.

Also, some things seem wrong:
トゥリープFC:
「う、うらやましぃ~。私もその課題、うけたいね……」
Official translation: Trepie: "I...I'm so jealous! Maybe I should take up that subject, too..."
Lit: I.. I'm so jealous! I also want to receive that assignment...
(refers to Squall's assignment with Quistis to fire cavern)
課題 can be subject, but I think it refers to the assignment as he says "うけたい" want to receive.
Also - this was changed from evening to afternoon for unknown reasons:
「SeeD選考の実地試験が夕方からスタートします。」
Official translation: Quistis: Yes, the field exam for SeeD candidates will begin later this afternoon.
Lit: The SeeD selection field test will start from this evening.

Some more detail missing:
キスティス
「試験に参加する人は夕方まで自由時間」
Field exam participants will have free time until the exam.
Lit: People participating in the exam will have free time until evening.

Text missing:
Noticed text missing from the computer screens (I believe the log on/GF acquired screens).

So based on that I conclude perhaps a lot of little details are missing :P

EliParker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-27 01:58:14 »
A more literal translation would be good. I noticed lots of little things from just playing the first few scenes or so - some notes I made a couple of months ago:
- Trepie is Trepe FC (stands for Fan Club)

- Some things are a bit more specific in Japanese, like the following phrase in the official translation could be confusing:
Quistis: "Meet in the hall at 1600 hours. I'll announce the team assignments there."
「16時、ホールに集合。各班のメンバーを発表します。」
Literally its: At 16:00 hours, gather in the hall. I'll announce the members of each team"

Another example:
- Quistis: Those not participating and those who failed last week's test are to remain here in study hall.
Lit: As for the people who are not joining the test, and people who failed last week's written examination, they will self study here.

Also, some things seem wrong:
トゥリープFC:
「う、うらやましぃ~。私もその課題、うけたいね……」
Official translation: Trepie: "I...I'm so jealous! Maybe I should take up that subject, too..."
Lit: I.. I'm so jealous! I also want to receive that assignment...
(refers to Squall's assignment with Quistis to fire cavern)
課題 can be subject, but I think it refers to the assignment as he says "うけたい" want to receive.
Also - this was changed from evening to afternoon for unknown reasons:
「SeeD選考の実地試験が夕方からスタートします。」
Official translation: Quistis: Yes, the field exam for SeeD candidates will begin later this afternoon.
Lit: The SeeD selection field test will start from this evening.

Some more detail missing:
キスティス
「試験に参加する人は夕方まで自由時間」
Field exam participants will have free time until the exam.
Lit: People participating in the exam will have free time until evening.

Text missing:
Noticed text missing from the computer screens (I believe the log on/GF acquired screens).

So based on that I conclude perhaps a lot of little details are missing :P

Wow that is like a world of difference. I'm big into the little details. Also FF8 is one of my fave FF, so the little details would go a long way for me.

I wonder if someone has done a lit translation already on a txt/doc file.

DLPB

• No life
  • My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-27 09:49:57 »
It's not a "literal translation".  Most of the above is flat out wrong, and needs relocalizing.