Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)  (Read 468779 times)

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)
« Reply #175 on: 2015-10-28 00:30:40 »
Hello Mavirick and JemaheChi,
I've been away for a long time due to my new job; but i keep an eye on Qhimm. If you have any hints about your new hashing algorithm i would be happy to create a "test version" of Berrymapper to test the algorithm.
Anyway, as we have a large number of hashed textures now ( characters, worldmap,GF,weapons, battlefields...) we can define already a close-to-perfect set of key pixels for your algorithm. We could even have different algorithm fit to each type of texture (one for characters, one for objects, one for worldmap).

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2015-10-28 02:25:57 »
Hello Mavirick and JemaheChi,
I've been away for a long time due to my new job; but i keep an eye on Qhimm. If you have any hints about your new hashing algorithm i would be happy to create a "test version" of Berrymapper to test the algorithm.
Anyway, as we have a large number of hashed textures now ( characters, worldmap,GF,weapons, battlefields...) we can define already a close-to-perfect set of key pixels for your algorithm. We could even have different algorithm fit to each type of texture (one for characters, one for objects, one for worldmap).

Thanks Shunsq, I appreciate the support :)

I had a preliminary version back in March and I used a thrown-together hashing tool to confirm that it would work. The issue was that the textures I had to work with (before I lost them all :oops:), even as many as there were, didn't come close to the full set.

Yeah, we have a large number of textures that have been used in different mods, but even if we had them all in one place it wouldn't be enough. The problem is that the textures we don't replace in any mods are as important--perhaps even more so--than the ones we do; without them we could unwittingly end up with tons of unforeseen collisions and then you'd start seeing the replacement textures all over the place, or they would end up behind the scenes in palette textures, masks, etc.

The reason the new hashing algorithm was never released was because I didn't want people to start using it before the pixel set was solid. Each time the hash algo changes in any way, all of the hashmap CSV's for every mod have to be changed. This means a lot of work for modders who have to keep up with each iteration and a lot of confusion for players who wonder why the hashmap for one mod works great while another causes problems. Maybe this decision was a mistake. Maybe, as I mentioned in my last comment, it would be possible to define the pixels used in the hash externally, such that modders and players could have more control over the set.

Fortunately, FatedCourage has done an incredible job collecting textures from a playthrough of the entire game, and as of today he's gotten all of them to me: a grand total of 293,848 textures collected through Tonberry's debug feature. Obviously a ton of these will be duplicates, but through the same analysis I did earlier this year we should be able to start making headway on a good pixel set. Stay tuned.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #177 on: 2015-10-28 04:02:09 »

I had a preliminary version back in March and I used a thrown-together hashing tool to confirm that it would work. The issue was that the textures I had to work with (before I lost them all :oops:), even as many as there were, didn't come close to the full set.

Yeah, we have a large number of textures that have been used in different mods, but even if we had them all in one place it wouldn't be enough. The problem is that the textures we don't replace in any mods are as important--perhaps even more so--than the ones we do; without them we could unwittingly end up with tons of unforeseen collisions and then you'd start seeing the replacement textures all over the place, or they would end up behind the scenes in palette textures, masks, etc.

The reason the new hashing algorithm was never released was because I didn't want people to start using it before the pixel set was solid. Each time the hash algo changes in any way, all of the hashmap CSV's for every mod have to be changed. This means a lot of work for modders who have to keep up with each iteration and a lot of confusion for players who wonder why the hashmap for one mod works great while another causes problems. Maybe this decision was a mistake. Maybe, as I mentioned in my last comment, it would be possible to define the pixels used in the hash externally, such that modders and players could have more control over the set.

Fortunately, FatedCourage has done an incredible job collecting textures from a playthrough of the entire game, and as of today he's gotten all of them to me: a grand total of 293,848 textures collected through Tonberry's debug feature. Obviously a ton of these will be duplicates, but through the same analysis I did earlier this year we should be able to start making headway on a good pixel set. Stay tuned.

This makes me want to dance!
::mrgreen::

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #178 on: 2015-10-28 23:09:52 »

Glad to hear you're still working on this mav. I'm currently pretty busy on RL so I'd be a burden, more than a helpful hand on this. Actually, I was working on a full research about enemies AI that is at standby for now. But I still come here to read your progress guys(also take a peek at github so keep syncing your code :I)
Keep it up everyone! :D

DomM

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2015-11-01 21:38:47 »
Hey all,  I'm trying out this tool with a fresh new install of FF8 on my Mac. I'm running the game through Wine and it works just fine... for a while. After some time, usually traversing a few screens, definitely a few screens after playing Triple Triad, the next screen loads up with odd green textures. I'm able to replicate this fairly consistently from the first save in the game, at the Balamb Garden directory, then going to the Cafeteria, playing the lovestruck Trepie, then leaving the cafeteria back into the central ring. Upon entering all the water surfaces are overlaid with green textures.

Sometimes this effect can be negated by minimizing & maximizing the game. Half the time it freezes & crashes after a few seconds.

I'm attaching a report: http://www.chopapp.com/#sspmwbid. I noticed it mention d3d9callback.dll, which was supplied by your tool. Any idea what could be going wrong?

In case you're unfamiliar with Wine, it has the ability to use its own inbuilt DLLs but also to commission native, external DLLs, provided that it's set up right. Am I maybe missing a crucial DLL, or is one of the DLLs maybe the wrong version?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I forgot to mention the issue goes away after removing d3d9.dll. But then textures revert back to original.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-02 10:41:51 by DomM »

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2015-11-03 15:33:13 »
Hey all,  I'm trying out this tool with a fresh new install of FF8 on my Mac. I'm running the game through Wine and it works just fine... for a while. After some time, usually traversing a few screens, definitely a few screens after playing Triple Triad, the next screen loads up with odd green textures. I'm able to replicate this fairly consistently from the first save in the game, at the Balamb Garden directory, then going to the Cafeteria, playing the lovestruck Trepie, then leaving the cafeteria back into the central ring. Upon entering all the water surfaces are overlaid with green textures.

Sometimes this effect can be negated by minimizing & maximizing the game. Half the time it freezes & crashes after a few seconds.

I'm attaching a report: http://www.chopapp.com/#sspmwbid. I noticed it mention d3d9callback.dll, which was supplied by your tool. Any idea what could be going wrong?

In case you're unfamiliar with Wine, it has the ability to use its own inbuilt DLLs but also to commission native, external DLLs, provided that it's set up right. Am I maybe missing a crucial DLL, or is one of the DLLs maybe the wrong version?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I forgot to mention the issue goes away after removing d3d9.dll. But then textures revert back to original.

The green textures sound like a classic hash collision--Tonberry thinks the water textures should be replaced with those green textures. Freezing and crashing I'm not sure about, and the report you attached only confirms that it's Tonberry that's causing the problem. Does this only happen when you use Wine to load d3d9Callback.dll? I don't recall Wine causing issues but it's possible.

Has anyone else experienced this issue using Windows or is it isolated to OSX? Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the Macbook to properly support OSX. I can send you a debug build that will write some additional logs and may shed some light on the issue, but I cannot promise anything.

DomM

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2015-11-03 21:11:52 »
It specifically happens when I force Wine to use the d3d9.dll provided with Tonberry. Using the in-built DLL fixes the crashes but also disables Tonberry. I haven't tried running Tonberry without d3d9Callback.dll.

To make the symptoms more precise, in approximately half the cases upon entering a new screen the water turns green, some other textures are also messed up and upon exiting the screen the application crashes. If I minimize the application and then maximize again the problem goes away. Sometimes a similar thing happens while playing Triple Triad, some of the cards are overlaid with weird green/turquoise textures but minimizing/maximizing fixes it. In the other 50% cases the new screen goes mostly black with dark green patterns and what's presumably graphical artifacts from either the previous or the intended current screen. The game then immediately crashes.

I can work with a debug version, sure. Thanks for your help!

ckj89

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2015-11-18 00:17:20 »
Upon the advice from the pinned post to the steam community page for FF8, I just installed Tonberry 2.04 and added:
SeeD Reborn v3.2
Project Eden v1.0
Tripod v1.1
Rebirth Flame v1.1
HorizonPack v2.1
Lunar Cry v1.2

Although I followed the directions (as well as Mcindus's install video), I must have messed up somewhere. Since installing the mods, steam won't launch the game. Whenever I click "play", steam says the game is "running", followed by "syncing", and goes back to normal all within the span of <5 seconds. At no point does the launcher window open or even make an attempt to open, it just never shows any sign of anything going on other than the running/syncing message.

Has anyone else had this issue or has some suggestions on how to fix it? Thank you!

*UPDATE* I managed to figure it out. Somehow the MSVCP120.dll and MSVCR120.dll were deleted from the FF8 file.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-18 04:50:10 by ckj89 »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #183 on: 2015-11-22 23:52:30 »

Also - you had mentioned in the past that we may be able to enable multiple resolutions via Tonberry...  For example - the enemy textures and worldmap textures don't need more than a 4x bump, but the character textures, battle backgrounds, and others would greatly benefit from being 8x!  Any way for that feature to work?  That way we don't have to have ALL 4x or ALL 8x...

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2015-12-07 14:39:39 »
Also - you had mentioned in the past that we may be able to enable multiple resolutions via Tonberry...  For example - the enemy textures and worldmap textures don't need more than a 4x bump, but the character textures, battle backgrounds, and others would greatly benefit from being 8x!  Any way for that feature to work?  That way we don't have to have ALL 4x or ALL 8x...

I think so. The difficulty is that each D3D texture can hold two FF8 textures at once, so you run into problems with textures of different size. For example, let's say a D3D surface has an enemy texture that Tonberry finds and replaces with a 1024x1024 texture, but then also holds a character texture that has a 2048x2048 replacement. Do we go back and scale the enemy texture? This takes precious time and will be going on constantly.

What we may be able to do is give a max texture size in the settings, then always scale every texture to that size when replacing. As long as we know ahead of time that a 1024x1024 needs to fill a 2048x2048 space, we should be fine.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #185 on: 2015-12-09 01:46:31 »
If it does become possible, perhaps certain bosses can benefit from this too? At least the bigger ones. Even Ulti has parts on her I'm sure it could improve.

Original:

Original w/Linear Filtering:

Waifu Upscale x4:

Waifu Upscale x4 w/Linear Filtering:

While the upscale does a pretty good job, some parts still could use improvement. Unless there are better ways to cover it up? While Linear Filtering does a decent job of covering it up, I assume we're moving away from that. So that's why I'm curious.

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2016-01-21 23:41:04 »
Dumb Question: Is there an easy way to tell if tonberry is working? The game is running for me but as I have never played FF8 before I don't have anything to compare it to.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #187 on: 2016-01-22 01:10:09 »
Dumb Question: Is there an easy way to tell if tonberry is working? The game is running for me but as I have never played FF8 before I don't have anything to compare it to.

You can always use SeeD Reborn to see. That way you'll know if it's working just by looking at the start screen.

RichterB

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2016-01-23 22:27:46 »
Does this need to be installed over the old Tonberry 1.5, or in a totally clean installation? And we need old hasmap 1.3?

Because with this new Tonberry version, the xbox button mod, seems to not works.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #189 on: 2016-01-24 18:08:14 »
Does this need to be installed over the old Tonberry 1.5, or in a totally clean installation? And we need old hasmap 1.3?

Because with this new Tonberry version, the xbox button mod, seems to not works.

I've always just been updating by dragging all the files of the newest version into my directory and choosing to let it replace the old ones. The files you need to keep are hash2map and collisions. You don't need hash1map at this point because you can download all the separate hashmaps you want to use on the first page of this thread.

If you already have SeeD Reborn installed, you should only have to drag the folder with the textures into the "texture" folder and it should replace the necessary files. But without SeeD Reborn(or at least it's hashmap), this mod won't work.

krizz02

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2016-02-12 02:39:30 »
Not sure if this is the right spot for this one...

I'm running into an unknown exception error in the same spot, when Squall Selphie and Zell are boarding the ship to leave the Dollet mission.  I have RaW, Tonberry 2.04, Apocalypse, Horizon, LunarCry, Project Eden, SeeDReborn and Tripod installed.  From the Biggs/Wedge fight up to here I didn't run into any other errors.  Has anyone ran into this before?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #191 on: 2016-02-12 06:29:22 »
I recommend trying the "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache" option that Steam has. It has helped fix problems that other people have had that are also similar to yours. Sometimes games don't always download properly, so think of this as a way of repairing any files that might not be working correctly. Hopefully it'll work for you as well.

krizz02

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2016-02-12 13:04:12 »
Thanks Fated, I will give that a try.  With all the extra files from the mods in the game directory does Steam delete them all or anything when verifying the integrity?

krizz02

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2016-02-12 18:54:02 »
Well I'll be, looks like verifying took care of it.  I was banging my head against a wall all day yesterday trying to figure out what was going on.  Thanks!

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #194 on: 2016-02-12 23:35:21 »
Well I'll be, looks like verifying took care of it.  I was banging my head against a wall all day yesterday trying to figure out what was going on.  Thanks!

Glad that fixed it for you and apologies for not getting back to you sooner. You're welcome. :)

willblanko

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC]External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced(1.6)
« Reply #195 on: 2016-02-19 13:59:24 »
Thanks Mcindus! If you tell how to do that, it won't be a problem for me. But if we still talking about the "in-menu" cards, it happens with the English version (I think also with any other, haven't tried). I mean they don't have the nice frames around the images. Seems to be the vanilla ones only. But playing a card game is okay, so all frames are new/nice etc. =)

For anyone who has problems, this should be the *.csv files package you need for tonberry 1.6 (if I'm not wrong): http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/YjKm3zpD/file.html
But replace them as soon as Mcindus or FatedCourage update anything.

tonberry folder
hashmap folder (some few a bit renamed)
  • Char_Fujin_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Irvine_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Laguna_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Quistis_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Rinoa_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Seifer_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Selphie_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Squall_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Ultimecia_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • Char_Zell_hm.csv (from FatedCourage)
  • HorizonPack_hm.csv (from Mcindus, http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15945.msg223951#msg223951)
  • ProjectEden_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • ProjectHellfire_hm.csv (from Mcindus, for GF's from rufoos: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15668.msg223269#msg223269)
  • SeeDReborn_DE_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • SeeDReborn_EN_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • SeeDReborn_ES_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • SeeDReborn_FR_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • Tripod_DE_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • Tripod_EN_hm.csv (from Mcindus)
  • Tripod_ES_hm.csv (from Mcindus)

the link is broken, can you upload again? :)

Mitroman

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2016-02-19 23:44:32 »
hello there i am a bit stuck with tonberry as soon as i copy it to the game directory, the game wont run does anyone have an idea why that might be, i did have tonberry working at one time but now i no longer can, any help would be appreciated, greatly.....

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2016-02-20 16:58:54 »
Have you disabled the Steam overlay? (Assuming it's the Steam version, of course)

Mitroman

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2016-02-20 18:11:52 »
Yes it is thank you for your reply and the linear filtering is unticked , what i'm getting is, an unknown exception has occurred and i have had this working before i just don't know why it isn't now, i've been working really hard on this i've been doing my best to prevent asking for help but i'm really unsure what else to do.

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2016-02-20 22:10:19 »
Try validating your games' files, and if you used the Texture Patcher restore your backups (if you made any).