Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)  (Read 468807 times)

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)
« Reply #225 on: 2016-03-06 19:50:00 »
Hello, I'm new here. Thank you for all the work modding the game.

I have a question, I just installed the latest version, and various mods (here's the folders of tonberry and textures)  http://imgur.com/a/qKjvu

I have the correspondent files in textures and in objmap, and the game function properly. But the screen when I enter the game had some glitches. The Squaresoft logo only show the center part, and the black square which shows the controls before the "new game - continue" menu don't show anything. And in game the exit command (esc) only show the buttons, but no the words.

So, anyone know what could be? Overlay in steam is disabled. (here are the pictures of the problem) http://imgur.com/a/XFRGf

Thank to all for the hard work!

Cheers!

Thanks for posting screenshots. For starters, delete hash1map. You don't need it since you have the Project Eden hashmap. Secondly, moved collisions and hash2map out of the hashmap folder. They should reside just inside the Tonberry folder. Thirdly, I think you also installed an old version of Rebirth Flame? So you need to delete Char_Textures_hm since you already have RebirthFlame_hm. Lastly, I'm not sure what that objfile is for... But that goes in the objmap folder. Not the hashmap folder.

Having some issues.  First time modding FF8.  Using Steam version.  Using everything here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391096600

Except for the "Gameplay, Beta and Future" mods

Having two issues.  It seems like the backgrounds aren't smoothed out at all.  Hard to tell if the originals were just that much worse or if that mod isn't working.

The biggest issue, though, is that whenever I'm done with Quistis's tutorial and try to exit the screen to the World Map for the first time, the game hangs indefinitely.  The World Map music plays but there is no transition.  It hangs on the screen I was attempting to leave and just sits there with Squall stuck at the edge of the screen. 

Can anyone help me efficiently troubleshoot this?

A good way to see if the backgrounds are working is to put the ProjectEden_hm in the disabled folder, restart the game, and see if you can notice any differences. Plus, you can also use Linear Filtering if you want to get rid of more pixelation as well. I'm sure you also have the Steam Overlay disabled. You might be able to fix the hanging issue by using "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" that Steam has. You right click the game in your list and it'll be in the properties.

Outspoken

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2016-03-06 21:43:05 »
A good way to see if the backgrounds are working is to put the ProjectEden_hm in the disabled folder, restart the game, and see if you can notice any differences. Plus, you can also use Linear Filtering if you want to get rid of more pixelation as well. I'm sure you also have the Steam Overlay disabled. You might be able to fix the hanging issue by using "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" that Steam has. You right click the game in your list and it'll be in the properties.

Indeed Overlay is disabled.  I verified the integrity of cache and it found 83 files missing but from looking at the date modified, it looks like it just replaced the music files that it had been using prior to installing RaW.  Couldn't find anything else added.  I have to go away for a week but next weekend I'll verify that it's still not working.  I appreciate your reply.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #227 on: 2016-03-06 22:35:07 »
Indeed Overlay is disabled.  I verified the integrity of cache and it found 83 files missing but from looking at the date modified, it looks like it just replaced the music files that it had been using prior to installing RaW.  Couldn't find anything else added.  I have to go away for a week but next weekend I'll verify that it's still not working.  I appreciate your reply.

Hm, I guess we'll see once you make it back. To my knowledge, there are more than 83 music tracks... I recommended this method because a few others had similar problems leaving to the world map and that seemed to resolve it for the most part. And no problem. :)

SuperDonkeyjack

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2016-03-07 08:04:21 »
Do we have to put the whole folder in the hashmap? Or the files? I'm having real trouble I am about to give up.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #229 on: 2016-03-08 03:53:24 »
Do we have to put the whole folder in the hashmap? Or the files? I'm having real trouble I am about to give up.

Just the hashmap file. Only the folder containing textures go in the folder called "textures".

karaulov

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2016-03-10 16:57:41 »
"Tonberry: Enhanced" source code avaiable ?   :)

karaulov

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2016-03-11 05:02:09 »
Tonberry 2.04 works as speed hack?!!
Game speed after install Tonberry 2.04 bigger than needed  !! How to fix it ?  (Game speed increased ~1.5x, how to remove speedhack from tonberry ?)

« Last Edit: 2016-03-11 05:17:52 by karaulov »

Outspoken

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2016-03-12 03:34:57 »
Hm, I guess we'll see once you make it back. To my knowledge, there are more than 83 music tracks... I recommended this method because a few others had similar problems leaving to the world map and that seemed to resolve it for the most part. And no problem. :)

Welp, fixed that bug it looks like BUT now RaW won't reinstall properly so I have no music and the world map textures look like they're also not applying.  Balamb, for example, has a lot of missing textures and nothing seems sharper or redone. It almost feels like the mods just aren't even registering.

I sort of feel like I've missed something big somewhere.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-12 03:36:48 by Outspoken »

Erana

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 2016-03-23 10:50:13 »
My computer does not like Tonberry Enhanced.  I've done every trouble-shooting step I can think of to get things to work, and a few I was sure would NOT work, and no matter what I do the game ends up crashing with "unknown exception" errors.  I made a post asking for help in the 'Graphical Mods' section, because at the time I wasn't ENTIRELY sure it was Tonberry, but now - well, I'm sure.  It's definitely Tonberry.  And I don't think it's a fixable issue, at least not by me with my current level of programming skills. 

HOWEVER...

Pre-Enhanced Tonberry and my computer got along GREAT.  I got up to disc two using it and the mods at that time, a little over a year ago, I believe.  I actually stopped playing because there were so many great mods in progress and, darn it, I wanted to be using them.  So I figured I'd wait awhile and go back to it when said mods were done.  There is some irony there, alas.  LOL.  SO - to circle around my long-winded way to the point - exactly how complicated would it be to take the current hashmaps, and convert them BACK into one file for old Tonberry to read?  Is it a matter of copy and pasting, i.e. something I can accomplish on my own?  Or are we talking major re-writing of said hashmaps and I'd be better off just waiting another year until I can actually afford a new computer? 

Raionjin

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2016-03-23 16:17:15 »
I´m having the unknow error too Q.,Q i have installed the game on my old pc with all the mods, and everything was great, now I have a month with a new pc (a better one ) but yesterday I install the game and it runs whithout problem, but when I put the tomberry in the folder (i try with the old tomberries various version and the new one enhanced and nothing always the same issue) its crash the game first say>unknow problem> then FF8_EN stop working

So, since I don't have programmer skills, I start to take out file one by one just like I do in the Sims for seeing what file is crashing the game its the d3d9 when I take this one out the game keep running but obviously the mods doesn´t work i'll search in google but didn't find a solution so I'm here...

6. (Optional) If your Windows installation is not on drive C, change your prefs.txt file 'drive_letter' from C to your drive letter. If you're using textures of different sizes, change 'resize_factor' in prefs.txt.

i´ll find something but Q.,Q isn´t working yet im running game on R drive not c so ill change as the tuto said the prefs.txt. soo the game now start but  mods dosent work
« Last Edit: 2016-03-23 17:12:38 by Raionjin »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #235 on: 2016-03-23 21:08:29 »
My computer does not like Tonberry Enhanced.  I've done every trouble-shooting step I can think of to get things to work, and a few I was sure would NOT work, and no matter what I do the game ends up crashing with "unknown exception" errors.  I made a post asking for help in the 'Graphical Mods' section, because at the time I wasn't ENTIRELY sure it was Tonberry, but now - well, I'm sure.  It's definitely Tonberry.  And I don't think it's a fixable issue, at least not by me with my current level of programming skills. 

HOWEVER...

Pre-Enhanced Tonberry and my computer got along GREAT.  I got up to disc two using it and the mods at that time, a little over a year ago, I believe.  I actually stopped playing because there were so many great mods in progress and, darn it, I wanted to be using them.  So I figured I'd wait awhile and go back to it when said mods were done.  There is some irony there, alas.  LOL.  SO - to circle around my long-winded way to the point - exactly how complicated would it be to take the current hashmaps, and convert them BACK into one file for old Tonberry to read?  Is it a matter of copy and pasting, i.e. something I can accomplish on my own?  Or are we talking major re-writing of said hashmaps and I'd be better off just waiting another year until I can actually afford a new computer? 

I'm not sure how this may effect compatibility, but you can copy/paste all of the separate hashmaps into one file, call it hash1map.csv and replace the old hash1map.csv with this 'new' compiled one in your old Tonberry 1.5 file structure.  You might not be able to use the objmaps but the hashmaps should work this way.

Also - I believe you're dealing with a directX9 incompatibility issue.  There isn't just one way to fix this... however, see if you can try updating your graphics drivers -- or, playing FF8 in compatibility mode, as administrator, and even possibly confining it to the first processor through your task manager processes tab.  Are you playing in windowed mode? Try fullscreen.  Also - using GeDoSaTo might fix the issue.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-23 21:22:50 by Mcindus »

Erana

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2016-03-25 08:56:33 »
McMindus - you are my hero.  :)   

So - tried GeDoSaTO, but it and Vista did not seem to like each other, as I got bizarre kernel32 errors as soon as I installed it.  I was playing Full Screen the whole time, so I tried Windows just in case- that did not work, of course.  I'd already tried administrator, so I gave Windows XP compatibility a shot but no - no luck there either.  Graphics drivers were already up to date, and up to Directx11.  I actually started downloading Directx9 to see if I could downgrade when trying your processor idea, because to be honest I just didn't see how THAT would do anything... how would giving it LESS processing power make it better?  I'm honestly asking, because as you probably guessed from the happy START to this reply - that fixed it.  I don't get HOW that fixed it, but as soon as I loaded it with just the one CPU enabled it was running faster and even looked clearer.  Got up to the glitch point - and past the glitch point - and then an HOUR past the glitch point... well, I think it's safe to say that seems to have done it. 

Thank you SO much - it's very much appreciated.  And my computer appreciates not being thrown out of a window, as well.  But - seriously... how the heck did THAT fix it?  Inquiring minds would like to know.  :)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #237 on: 2016-04-22 20:46:03 »
I found some interesting information regarding .dll injection on Windows 8 and up. This might help a lot of people with issues stemming from Tonberry, SweetFX, or GeDoSaTo.

"Second, if you are running Windows 8 or higher, check if your system is using UEFI secure boot. If so, disable the feature." - taken from the GeDoSaTo website.

Check the link here, it provides instructions on how to do so.
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

BlaZe420

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2016-05-27 20:29:53 »
nevermind i got it working , well most of it , thanks for all your hard work!
« Last Edit: 2016-05-28 17:18:28 by BlaZe420 »

zerole

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2016-06-17 06:07:10 »
Hi Mcindus, I've followed your instructions but none of the mods seem to be working except for Rebirth Flame v1.1

I'm running Windows 7, and using Tonberry 2.04, do you know what might be wrong?  These are my main folders below:

http://imgur.com/oHcCRzk

http://imgur.com/71d9JKn

http://imgur.com/qAaCO3y

I've also updated the objmap folder, and hash2map and collisions files.

Edit: Found out the problem, apparently I needed to download the texture files as well, but that has created another issue.  Of the different mods, what do I do when two separate mods have the same texture folder name?  For example, both LunarCry_v1.2 and ProjectEden_v1.0 have a en texture folder so if I copy both of them to the FF8 texture folder, one of them is going to be overwritten.

« Last Edit: 2016-06-18 03:54:58 by zerole »

wqq0716

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2016-07-02 21:12:37 »
Hi I'm new here, and thanks to all the people devoted to moding this game, it makes a whole lot change visually and acoustically. I suit up most of the mods and they are working great, but there is only a tiny little problem, which is characters do not Blink. Though I can see in texture files, the blink texture is right there, but neither in battle nor in 2D backgrouds, no blink at all. Actually this is not a big problem, cause there isn't so much close up shot in this game so that force you starring at their eyes and see the blink, but  when you are using a magic, calling a G.F, or finishing the battle they usually close their eyes. the most obvious issue is for Quistis, when she stretches herself, she will close her eye, and this not happening in HD mods. Is there a way to fix it?

Rail107

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2016-07-18 10:49:18 »
Hi there, so, I just installed all the mods from: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391096600

Downloaded all the hashmaps from the link provided, and from the mods themselves when the hashmaps were not in the link.

So anyway, I crash upon trying to leave the garden with Quistis: The RaW blue fields music begins to play but the game screen freezes.

"An unknown exception has occurred." in a small Error window.

CPU fix - Nothing
Steam Overlay Disabled - Nothing

I suspect, since it is the world map I'm loading, that it has something to do with either the Horizon Mod, the World UV mod, or that I have both hash1map and hash2map in my main tonberry folder.

But if this is common to a particular common mistake, or mod-mismanagement, please let me know.

I've devoted an entire week now just to understanding the modding process for this game and it's beginning to feel like modding FF8 doesn't actually pay off.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, btw. Please, anyone :c

EDIT: A full re-install EXCLUDING The World UV mod allowed me to play the game. Just saying this for a heads up, maybe World UV should get a look at.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-18 12:55:24 by Rail107 »

Khronnus

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2016-07-28 12:50:16 »
I know there have been a lot of questions about this, but I'm really stuck, I cannot get this version to work. The previous versions of Tonberry work, but the as soon as enhanced is installed nothing happens. The game runs in vanilla. I started with this, then read in this forum someone installed the pervious 1.5 version and it working, which happened with me, but there are many more mods out there depending on the enhanced version.

I believe I have tried most things on here. Now if I copy over everything except the hash1map file, and keep that, the mods continue to work. But the new ones don't.

I'll be active and upload screen of anything you need. But could someone please help me? I've been struggling to get this to work on my own.

Thank you in advance :)

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2016-07-28 16:54:55 »
EDIT: A full re-install EXCLUDING The World UV mod allowed me to play the game. Just saying this for a heads up, maybe World UV should get a look at.

I'm aware of the bug. I deleted the faulty patcher some time ago. Need to think of a better way of solving this issue. Sorry for all the problems caused by my shitware.

littlemad

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2016-08-12 16:56:30 »
Hi everyone fist time posting. Thank you very much for your hard work, I am having an installation problem...

I have "installed" (copy and pasted all the files in the right folder) for tonberry and other stuff (seed, eden and controller mapping), unfortunately nothing happen or changed, like it is not working at all.
I have windows 7 ultimate (not original), and the only thing that I couldn't do of the installation of Tonberry was the "VC++ 2010 Redistributable (x86)" because it recognise a newer version.

What I need to do to debug the problem?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #245 on: 2016-08-14 03:46:57 »
Hi everyone fist time posting. Thank you very much for your hard work, I am having an installation problem...

I have "installed" (copy and pasted all the files in the right folder) for tonberry and other stuff (seed, eden and controller mapping), unfortunately nothing happen or changed, like it is not working at all.
I have windows 7 ultimate (not original), and the only thing that I couldn't do of the installation of Tonberry was the "VC++ 2010 Redistributable (x86)" because it recognise a newer version.

What I need to do to debug the problem?

Taking a screenshot of how you have everything set up might be helpful. Make sure you aren't using any other injector like SweetFX. Or you could be one of the rare few where the newest version isn't working properly.

littlemad

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2016-08-14 16:13:03 »

any other folder do you need to see?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #247 on: 2016-08-14 20:16:43 »
As long as you have your hashmaps where they need to be, no. So far everything else looks correct. You're using both Project Eden and SeeD Reborn, like you said. So the Title Screen hasn't changed at all? Or the text and menus?

ryus

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2016-08-14 21:10:43 »
Hello. My game works fine using the d3d9.dll file that comes with SweetFX Enhancement but it doesnt load any of the new textures and if I replace the file with the one on Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04) the game crashes at launch with an unknown exception. Are they supose tu be incomplatible?  btw Im also using GeDoSaToTool.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #249 on: 2016-08-14 21:18:30 »
Hello. My game works fine using the d3d9.dll file that comes with SweetFX Enhancement but it doesnt load any of the new textures and if I replace the file with the one on Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04) the game crashes at launch with an unknown exception. Are they supose tu be incomplatible?  btw Im also using GeDoSaToTool.

The reason both cannot work together is because each use they're own d3d9.dll file. So really, you can only pick one or the other. But you can use GeDoSaTo to use SweetFX-like effects. Just be sure to set "interceptOnlySystemDlls" to "true" in the "Edit Settings" or FF8 will most likely crash.