Author Topic: [FF6] [OPEN BETA] Dancing Mad - FF6 Audio Replacement using MSU-1  (Read 168013 times)

Hal_Emmerich

• View Profile
Good evening;

Very excited to try this out, thanks for your hard work. I happen to be playing on my sd2snes (latest firmware). Is there anything in particular you would like tested?

Hal_Emmerich

• View Profile
A suggestion for the installer.

I'd propose for the 'custom' interface, the ability to load one of the presets.

For example: I love a lot of your music choices on your recommended list, however I can't get behind your choice for The Mystic Forest. It's a great track, but it doesn't quite fit the feel of the original. Likewise, I feel your choice for the World of Balance theme doesn't quite fit the tone of the original - great song, but it gets way too slow at points. This basically means I am left with manually subbing tracks in the file system or creating a whole set of songs for the game one song at a time. It would be much better if I could go 'I want the Developers Mix, but with these few songs changed'.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
I made an alternate-loop version of the Balance & Ruin tracks.  Personally, I think they sound better in-game, where Covarr tried to keep as much of the songs as possible, I tried to create seamless loops the way that the game typically would, and removed a lot of slow intros (especially the main battle theme really bothered me).  If you're interested, give it a try: http://www.mediafire.com/?wfe7e2n86b3mf78

insidious611

• View Profile
Unfortunately due to a new job I have next to no time to work on this lately. I will likely try to come out with a new Installer soon to incorporate Hal_Emmerich's suggestion (Why didn't I think of that?) though this may take a while as it'll involve editing the GUI which is a bit more work than changing the back-end functions of the installer (*shakes fist at Qt5*). I have *not* had any time to edit the ASM lately though, because this is an extremely time consuming process at this point due to how much time testing takes. I apologize for this.

I'll also look at the provided new set of music. Thank you for putting so much time into that. I might add that as a new option at some point.

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
I have noticed so far that when the game plays the sleep jingle (when you stay at an inn, etc), the music doesn't come back until you leave the inn/house/wherever you are.

For people trying to get a good comparison for the songs available in Dancing Mad, it's worth noting that the Music Player patch that is part of the Ted Woosley Uncensored Edition is compatible.  So you can test all the available songs right at the beginning of the game, in Narshe, to see how they sound.

docevil000

• View Profile
I'm having an issue with the installer hanging here

http://imgur.com/a/Tg4lQ

YukiS

• View Profile
I'm having an issue with the installer hanging here

http://imgur.com/a/Tg4lQ
It's trying to download files from the author's web site (http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/) which is currently down. I've contacted the author to ask if in lieu of getting the site back up he is able to send me the files so I can host them myself but I haven't heard back yet.

If anyone in this thread has any of the sound files downloaded and would be able to upload them somewhere for me so I can attempt to collect a full set I would be very grateful so please drop me a PM if you can help with that. Assuming I am able to re-host the files, a simple modification to the hosts file on your PC should allow you to complete the installation.

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
I have no idea where in the hell you could possibly upload this, because each pack is 1.1 GB in size, but if you can point me to somewhere that can actually TAKE 5 GB of data, I have all four music sets.

docevil000

• View Profile
I honestly just want the default set.

insidious611

• View Profile
Hi! I did not realize my site was down. I'll get that back up and running asap. I'm slightly confused by YukiS saying he contacted me as I've not gotten any contact from anyone, or else I would have fixed this issue right away :P

EDIT: And up! Silly enough, apache had crashed.

My apologies, again, for the downtime.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-02 18:45:21 by insidious611 »

YukiS

• View Profile
Hi! I did not realize my site was down. I'll get that back up and running asap. I'm slightly confused by YukiS saying he contacted me as I've not gotten any contact from anyone, or else I would have fixed this issue right away :P

EDIT: And up! Silly enough, apache had crashed.

My apologies, again, for the downtime.
I thought I'd contacted you on the 11th June when I first noticed it was down but it looks like I emailed the wrong address. Sorry about that :-[

I have set up a mirror for the audio files in case you want to add an alternative server to the installer in the future for load balancing/failover purposes: https://saika.de-ge.so/ff6data

insidious611

• View Profile
Thanks! I've made some modifications so that it properly errors out if it can't connect (I had the code in there before but forgot to use it when checking for the *size* of the file prior to starting to download it. duhie >.>) and also it *should* use your mirror as failover...

The bad part? I'm using Python 3.6 locally atm and there are *no* win32/win64 pyCurl binaries for 3.6 available despite pyCurl saying it supports 3.6. So I have no means of testing or deploying right now, so that will have to be put on hold until pyCurl has built working python 3.6 win32/win64 binaries. I've submitted an issue to the pyCurl tracker so hopefully this gets resolved soon.

I'm going to give it a month and if I haven't heard anything back from them I'll move my system back to Python 3.5 for this project just so I can get this change out.

As this is imo more vital (being an actual potential freezebug on the installer) I have not yet completed work on allowing one to choose a preset on the custom track selection page, but that will be my next task.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-06 20:51:49 by insidious611 »

YukiS

• View Profile
Here's some pyCurl binaries for 3.6 that I built myself: https://saika.de-ge.so/pycurl/

After fixing the mismatch of spaces and tabs in downloadpage.py I was able to get the installer to run to completion in Python 3.6. However, as my mirror is HTTPS only and you're not specifying a certificate bundle for pyCurl it won't fail over.

The easiest way to do this is installing/importing the certifi package and adding the following lines to your curl options in downloader.py:
sizecurl.setopt(sizecurl.CAINFO, certifi.where())
filecurl.setopt(filecurl.CAINFO, certifi.where())

With these changes it successfully fails over to my site if yours is unreachable.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-17 08:11:46 by YukiS »

insidious611

• View Profile
Thanks again for your help. I'm going to try to buckle down and implement these fixes and get out a hotfix release ASAP. My apologies to everyone for not having the time to devote to this recently.

That said, and I'll be sure to modify the first post to reflect this as well, development has now moved from BitBucket to GitHub. I'm hoping this will encourage PRs from people willing to help with the project, as well as simplify organization for myself as all of my other projects are on github.

https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6

For those just wanting the current binaries

https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases

insidious611

• View Profile
YukiS: Unfortunately your mirror, as well as your pycurl binaries, appear to be down at the moment.

I'm switching my development environment over to Python 3.5 temporarily until the PyCurl binaries for 3.6 from either YukiS or the actual PyCurl people resurface, just so that I can get the hotfixed installer out. It'll contain the failover to YukiS's server even though that's not currently up atm (I assume it will be put back up eventually/soon), as well as it will contain a failover to another server I have access to which has multiple people maintaining it instead of just my busy self.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-18 01:35:22 by insidious611 »

insidious611

• View Profile
A new beta has just been released

This is a hotfix (long time coming, sorry for the delay!) that should both allow the downloader to failover to one of 2 alternate mirrors should it be unable to download a file from the main one, and properly return an error instead of freezing if it's unable to download a file at all.

Check the linked releases page for "20170918" or if you're lazy and on windows click here.

If you've got a working install of Dancing Mad, don't bother with this one. No changes have been made to the patch. :P

My apologies for the fact the installer has somehow grown from 15MB to 60MB. I'm not sure why this is other than it seems to have something to do with a massive difference in the way cx_Freeze packaged PyQt5 this time. I haven't changed anything of my process so I have to assume either PyQt5 or cx_Freeze changed.

This installer is still using Python 3.5 (specifically 3.5.4) for now.

YukiS

• View Profile
YukiS: Unfortunately your mirror, as well as your pycurl binaries, appear to be down at the moment.

I'm switching my development environment over to Python 3.5 temporarily until the PyCurl binaries for 3.6 from either YukiS or the actual PyCurl people resurface, just so that I can get the hotfixed installer out. It'll contain the failover to YukiS's server even though that's not currently up atm (I assume it will be put back up eventually/soon), as well as it will contain a failover to another server I have access to which has multiple people maintaining it instead of just my busy self.
There's a not so funny story about that, involving my fingernail and an LGA1155 socket :-[. I can't afford to get the motherboard repaired for another week or so but since I compiled those binaries on my desktop I have uploaded a copy to my hosted server here: http://de-ge.so/pycurl/

insidious611

• View Profile
Ouch. That sucks :(. I'll leave your mirror in the code for now, as I'm assuming you'll get it back up eventually. Let me know if you're unable to set up a new one anytime soon.

Thanks for the pycurl 3.6 binaries, again :) When I get the chance I'll do another update of the installer, this time using python 3.6, and *hopefully* I might be able to get it to not suddenly be 60MB... :P

insidious611

• View Profile
Just a small update. A user on github has found a few small issues with the audio re: clipping/distortion, and therefore I've been working with him on a script to (as an *optional* installer checkbox) globally lower the volume of the PCMs, by about 7.5dB (though in some cases less). From his testing this seems to have the music volume better match with that of sound effects ingame. However, he's using lr-snes9x, and I've not had the chance to test this in Higan (and have heard Higan handles volume somewhat differently than other MSU-1-capable emulators/devices), which is why I'm making this optional.

The next major version of the installer will include this option, some new alternate sources for a few songs, an adjustment to OCR track 76, and the requested ability to choose one of the premade selections of tracks as a "template" when picking a custom selection.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-06 20:48:21 by insidious611 »

insidious611

• View Profile
A minor hotfix was just released for the installer, bringing us to Open Beta 20171006. This fixes the missing "veldt" track. If you've already installed and would like to grab this missing track without reinstalling, please grab

http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/OCR/ff3-25.pcm for OCRemix version
http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/SSC/ff3-25.pcm for Sean Schafianski version (my personal recommendation)
http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/OST/ff3-25.pcm for OST version

(There is no FFT or OTH version)

Rename to "track-25.pcm" if you're using higan, keep the same if not, and drop into your game folder.

Old versions of the installer may break due to trying to download http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/SSC/ff3-19.pcm which should not have existed (and has thus been deleted). This was a misnamed copy of this track.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-07 01:14:24 by insidious611 »

insidious611

• View Profile
Little preview of the next version of the installer.

I can't figure out how to center the buttons due to the way Qt custom widgets work (I saw a suggestion using .setStyleSheet but it made the buttons disappear entirely, so :/)

BUT, the ability to load a preset on the custom track page is now implemented and working. That's the custom track page with my recommended songs selected.

insidious611

• View Profile
Due to my increasing lack of IRC presence and needing a way to keep in touch with contributors other than the Issues section of github, I've opened the following public discord for discussion regarding this romhack.

https://discord.gg/ynZkNnK

insidious611

• View Profile
Good news! The Opera bug has been mostly quashed/worked around. The timing for the one interactive scene (where you have to press the right prompts) is currently quite off in the only MSU-1 track we have for it (the intro is way too long). Said timing can likely be fixed (will require audio edits) however the underlying issue that if you screw up or take too long to make your inputs, Celes's voice will desync even if the track is perfect, has not been fixed (and can't be unless I remove all the interactivity from that scene or make some sort of micro-loops that would probably sound awful).

The next release of the installer will ship with this corrected patch, and will now download the Opera tracks as normal instead of dummying them out.

Less good news! https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/issues/23. tl;dr, Avira is getting a false positive virus detection on the installer I'm about to release. Which is really hindering me being able to test it, and also worries me that people will be turned off. Please don't worry about it. Heur/APC (Cloud) is a generic-ass heuristic that probably catches on a lot of stuff. This seems to have been triggered primarily by the switch to Python 3.6, somehow. If people are turned off, I might switch back to Python 3.5 or provide that as an alternate download, I guess.

Why does Python 3.6 continue to be the bane of my existence?
« Last Edit: 2017-10-09 02:23:19 by insidious611 »

Ackbar

• View Profile
First of all, thank you so much for doing this - it's truly awesome!

I am trying to get this to work in conjunction with an uncensored Ted Woolsey translation - is this simply impossible because of extended script size? Or does anyone know of a translation like that which is compatible?

insidious611

• View Profile
One of the testers on github has actually been doing extensive testing with the Ted Woolsey uncensored patch(es). He's found no major problems, so it should work fine. The area of the game code I'm changing and the area of the game code those patches change are quite distant, so it's fairly easy to get them to play nice with each other.

Obviously doing this is unsupported (the recent testing has been the only testing anyone has ever really done on something other than untouched ff3 us 1.0) and at your own risk. Also, my installer won't let you use an already patched ROM, so you'll need to do Dancing Mad first and then any other patch afterwards, instead of the other way around.

But all indications are it should work just fine.

The github "issue" where we've been discussing said compatibility testing. https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/issues/25

The  bug with the ending alluded to there is a bug in my patch which shows up even without the help of other patches, and which has been fixed for the next release
« Last Edit: 2017-10-10 15:56:10 by insidious611 »