Author Topic: [SOLVED] FF6 Steam version does not recognize a gamepad in Windows 10  (Read 14967 times)

Toppanzoo

• View Profile
Hi, I just installed FF6 in Windows 10 64bit , and got problem in setting the controller to USB Joystic which is working for FF7 well;

Game Settings of FF6

In the picture there's "Devices" dropdown menu, and showed only "keyboard" , and I could not change it to USB Joystick that is shown "effective" in "Device and Printer".

Oh I don't like to think the gamepad IS INCOMPATIBLE with FF6 though it is working for FF7.
Need help.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-02 08:23:11 by EQ2Alyza »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
If your gamepad does not support xinput, you may need to use an xinput wrapper like x360ce. More and more newer games are incompatible with directinput-only controllers, and while I can't confirm this is the case here, it seems likely.

Toppanzoo

• View Profile
Tnank you Covarr.

I tried x360ce 32bit (cause FF6 is 32bit game) to set the gamepad to work;
x360ce 32bit source is from;
Code: [Select]
https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce
The game FF6 seemed to require xinput1_4.dll instead of xinput1_3.dll which is installed normally in x360ce. So I changed the dll name to xinput1_4.dll and selected "32bit ver1.4", re-launched  x360ce and clicked "start FF6" from x360ce.
But had no luck, when I pushed X button the game made abnormal termination going back to "SQUARE ENIX" logo screen.

Settings in x360ce;

Any suggestion for the setting ?
« Last Edit: 2015-12-30 22:51:42 by Toppanzoo »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
TBH I'm not very experienced with x360ce. I use something called Pinnacle Game Profiler instead, but I don't usually recommend it because it costs $20 and most people don't wanna spend that.

However, I have had another idea that I *do* know how to use: JoyToKey. It is shareware for $7 but you can use it free without a license and it will work. You can set your controller to act like a keyboard and match the keyboard settings in FF6.

Toppanzoo

• View Profile
Thank you again.

I finally figured out that I DO NEED XINPUT GAMEPAD such as Logitech F310 along with the xinput wrapper x360ce 32bit.
I got the Logitech F310, launched  x360ce inserting F310 to USB, then  x360ce recognized F310 with  xinput1_3.dll.
So far so good.
OK I tried to launch FF6 from  x360ce.
Bingo !!  FF6 now recognize the gamepad Logitech F310 with x360ce staying on.

My problem finally solved.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-02 08:24:16 by Toppanzoo »