Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX coming to PC and mobile... finally.  (Read 54611 times)

Fischkopf

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IX coming to PC and mobile... finally.
« Reply #25 on: 2016-01-06 18:25:12 »
The models are noticeably higher in polycount in the update, Zidane is pretty angular in the original and looks much smoother here.

Look at the hair and shoulders.

That's a nice new model indeed, which is pretty acknowledgeable for Square Enix, considering how lame their ports of older games usually are.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2016-01-06 18:25:54 »
That's a really strange change, considering they didn't do any model updates for any other FF game on Steam. Not that I mind it here, but I'm really confused why they've clearly put so much more effort into FF9 than into fan-favorites like FF6 or FF7.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2016-01-06 18:29:42 »
I checked it again, the models have a higher polycount. So it's probably not only an emulated version... I wouldn't be surprised if they have taken a look on Q-Gears.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2016-01-06 18:52:14 »
Missed that, my bad.
But now there's a visual comparison to go with it.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2016-01-06 19:07:57 »
The backgrounds are also upscaled. Would be interesting if we could grab the backgrounds from the PSX and would be able to upscale them with a better method. At last in FF9 they have a higher color resolution as in FF7.

Edit:
They say DirectX11 is recomended maybe they use Tesselation.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-06 19:14:09 by Kaldarasha »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2016-01-06 19:56:10 »

Maybe, maybe.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2016-01-06 22:08:46 »

If it was simple tesselation it would look like the original models, just more rounded which it doesn't. I think it's really a new model, look at his shoulders which are now slightly differently proportioned.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #32 on: 2016-01-07 00:26:04 »
I wonder if we can use Tonberry on this :D

I can't wait to get my hands on it lol.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 2016-01-07 04:02:06 »
I actually never finished this game. Last I remember was being defeated in rainy Burmecia and ending disc 1. This ought to be a fun one to pick up :)

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2016-01-07 08:18:48 »
I actually never finished this game. Last I remember was being defeated in rainy Burmecia and ending disc 1. This ought to be a fun one to pick up :)

The story just gets more fun from there. People start to discover who they actually are. I'm so excited for this!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #35 on: 2016-01-07 17:02:05 »
People start to discover who they actually are.

Which is the dumbest JRPG trope, but FFIX pulls it off beautifully. It's not just "let's go to this city/planet/island and learn all there is to know about this person's character in one chunk". It takes most of the game for most of the characters to really develop. Some never do develop, some are quick resolving, but the two main characters still have character defining moments way late into the game.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2016-01-07 17:41:54 »
The story just gets more fun from there. People start to discover who they actually are. I'm so excited for this!

Apart from the end boss... who literally comes out of nowhere like FF8's.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2016-01-07 20:41:19 »

That's probably my ONLY gripe with this game. Everything else is amazing imo. It's my favorite.

Sefirosu

• Finding out just how far down the rabbit hole goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2016-01-08 00:23:29 »
Ha ha, I guess I feel good knowing I wasn't the only one who got to the final boss and was like:

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2016-01-08 12:36:06 »

Final Fantasy 8's Ultimecia shows up and is referenced all way from the middle of the first CD (possessing Edea but still) to the end of the game... She doesn't pop out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-08 14:15:36 by -Ric- »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2016-01-08 16:51:44 »
That's a really strange change, considering they didn't do any model updates for any other FF game on Steam. Not that I mind it here, but I'm really confused why they've clearly put so much more effort into FF9 than into fan-favorites like FF6 or FF7.

I bet they either used the battle models, or just had the slightly higher polycount models from the very beginning at the time of development but lowered them a bit for PlayStation rendering.
Field backgrounds however do seem the same, except they look worse, and even have buggy effects/animations at times (like the path to Memoria scene at the trailer at minute 1:01).
The FMVs are clearly the same just with a very nice filter pre-applied to them, and not original higher-res version (unlike what you could find for FF7 in the 1997 special DVD).

It is nice they're doing this, but... unless they improve the backgrounds with at least some well-thought method... it will still be better to play this on the original console or an accurate emulator.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-08 16:54:32 by Ragna »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2016-01-08 19:19:24 »
Most of you have probably already seen this but for those who haven't, seems like this is gonna be the new menu interface:

Looks quite cool to be honest and it looks like it can easily work for both PC and Phone versions of the game, Eiko's avatar looks so much better than the original, love it.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2016-01-09 19:03:51 »
Most of you have probably already seen this but for those who haven't, seems like this is gonna be the new menu interface:

Looks quite cool to be honest and it looks like it can easily work for both PC and Phone versions of the game, Eiko's avatar looks so much better than the original, love it.
Seems mostly okay to me, just the same good old layout with some unnecessary spacing on menu commands though (I wonder what use is there for that lower "help" part, have they changed the usual moguri? Noo! KupĆ³!!! :'().
But seriously, is it really needed the explicit label over the time and gil icons? Aren't the icons already quite clear to people? Come on! :-o

I wonder what Sakaguchi might be thinking of SE porting his precious diamond to mobile/Windows... ::) "Better they don't mess up! :x", at least! :-P

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2016-01-09 19:11:13 »

The first two discs are fantastic, like REALLY good. Unfortunately from the third disc onward you have good sidequests but almost no new main towns are introduced to break up the grinding, you travel to a new continent but it's deserted and you grind, then there's a puzzle area where you grind, then some more grinding. Basically the third and fourth discs are "find all these new depopulated areas where you can grind at", or do our fun sidequests. Oh then a random final boss comes out of nowhere and the two guys who should be the final boss, Kuja mostly, or maybe Garland is way too easy mainly because you spent the last disc and a half grinding.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-09 19:14:27 by olearyf2525 »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2016-01-09 20:29:20 »
Seems mostly okay to me, just the same good old layout with some unnecessary spacing on menu commands though

The spacing is probably due to the fact that the game is also coming to phones, so you can navigate the menus even with the biggest sausage fingers... I've seen worse examples than this, I think it's still acceptable.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #45 on: 2016-01-10 14:35:18 »
Noice!

Let's just hope they throw away the obsolete battle system with a more action oriented approach. Giving Zidane a Kamehameha would be cewl to see. Also, I hope they change the script.  8)

Nah, really I'm glad to see 9 get some attention finally. Looks all good to me.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2016-01-10 15:24:16 »
Noice!

Let's just hope they throw away the obsolete battle system with a more action oriented approach. Giving Zidane a Kamehameha would be cewl to see. Also, I hope they change the script.  8)

Nah, really I'm glad to see 9 get some attention finally. Looks all good to me.

Lots of grunting, something we can probably expect? We'll call it the Final Flash Final Fantasy, kids love catchy names.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwrzYrpCHz0

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #47 on: 2016-01-10 17:53:24 »
Just saw the teaser on Steam. It looks like a true HD remake of the original. Which is exactly what I wanted!

Of course it just gave the vague "Coming soon" line at the end. Until there's a release date you can't pre-order. :(

Man, I'm stoked! It feels like all my PC gaming time has built up to this. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a game more than this.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2016-01-10 18:07:51 »
It looks like a true HD remake of the original.
Gotta be kidding, right? ???

This is just a half-decent port, until you see the lazy work on implementing the background scenes even with visual glitches/bugs (teaser minute 1:01) and also seems to lack antialiasing on 3D models (FXAA at least as an option, Square Enix...).
Who knows what they've done to the OST, also.

May they polish it some more before release, please!

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2016-01-10 22:21:15 »
Gotta be kidding, right? ???

This is just a half-decent port, until you see the lazy work on implementing the background scenes even with visual glitches/bugs (teaser minute 1:01) and also seems to lack antialiasing on 3D models (FXAA at least as an option, Square Enix...).
Who knows what they've done to the OST, also.

May they polish it some more before release, please!

Not sure what you're looking at in reddit /final fantasy a guy had screenshot comparison from the video to the ps1 to an emulator. There was a significant improvement on the models, on the cutscenes, and some improvement on the fields, though I wouldn't say significant. Then again it's just a trailer, maybe they did some video editing magic or something, but I doubt it, people would be pissed.