Author Topic: Progressive Scan?  (Read 4793 times)

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
Progressive Scan?
« on: 2003-12-28 04:44:32 »
Are there any of you out there to be lucky enough to have Progressive scan enabled on their gamecubes? is it worth the trouble of getting everything needed? Is there a way to show it on a PC monitor?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-28 13:37:54 »
You can buy a VGA cable for your Gamecube to hook it up to your computer monitor.  You won't be able to see anything on the computer monitor until you get the game to turn progressive scan on (usually you hold "B" while turning the game on, and a menu will come up asking if you wanna use progressive scan).  Of course, you can only play games that are capable of running in progressive scan.  Check eBay for a cable like this, it'll probably cost about $50.  You can also play on a progressive scan capable TV, but you'll need a different cable for that, I think you can get it from Nintendo.com's store.

Currently, I'm playing the Gamecube on my monitor via a TV Tuner card.  Kinda neat cause I can play it in a window (i.e. chat at the same time) and I can record segments of the video onto my hard drive.  Plus, I can watch cable TV :P But this is not progressive scan.

Smurgen

• View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-28 19:37:28 »
Well nearly all my games support it so i think i might have to invest in this cable. Is the picture quality all nuts nice?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-28 22:10:59 »
Well, it's certainly better than playing on a TV, but its not a very high-resolution image (I think its 640x480).  So I mean, it looks kinda like what a PC game looks like when you're playing it at 640x480.

[Edit] I checked on eBay and couldn't find one.  There are tons of "PS2 Gamecube XBOX VGA Converters..." These just take the Composite signal and convert it to VGA, but they don't let you play games in progressive scan.  You want something like this: http://www3.importya.com/Game/N64/gc-vgacable.htm (it plugs into the digital output port on the back of your Gamecube... you still have to use the analog output port for audio)
Kinda hard to find (this wasn't ever really sold in the US, just Japan).  I got mine from eBay several months ago and it came with Japanese packaging and everything :P There might be one on eBay in a few days or something.

A few things to note:
 - You won't be able to see anything on your monitor until you get the game to enter progressive scan mode.  This means you won't be able to see the Gamecube logo when the system powers on, or do things in the Gamecube menu like mess with the memory cards or set the clock.
 - You can still have it hooked up to a TV so you can see the progressive scan mode menu (via the analog output port), but you won't be able to see anything on your TV after you enter progressive scan mode.
 - You can't get the progressive scan menu to come up by holding "B" unless there is actually something plugged into the digital output port (or at least I couldn't get it to come up on my copy of Zelda: OOT, which is the game I was testing this on at first).

This also plugs into the digital output port on the Gamecube, and it is for playing games in progressive scan on progressive scan TVs.

Smurgen

• View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-29 02:54:39 »
Well my monitor and gaming TV are so close that its not so bad for me to have to use both at the same time untill i got the games set up. I guess i'll have to shop around ^^

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-29 09:47:15 »
one place to check is www.lik-sang.com
there are based in Hong Kong, but do ship some items direct from Europe.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-31 03:56:13 »
If you have the cash, this one will let you plug it into your pc.
http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/

The Skillster

• View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-01 10:53:26 »
that sweetspot looks like a bit of a joke
doesnt actually so WHAT makes it what it is.
looks like a standard video in card,
my pinnacle rave tv card does that well (for £30)
and it works a charm with dscaler (just about any tv card does, accept for ati all in wonders), so im not sure what they mean.
apart from the 3 phono RGB inputs
looks like a standard video capture card
and at 200 quid a pop , get lost
---
actually heres the only screen shot i had left over,
its from Dscaler program (www.dscaler.net) on my Pinnacle Rave Tv card,
My PS2 running Winning Eleven 6 FE (patched to English), using a high quality Svideo cable to connect it to my PC(the file is a RAR and the picture is a TIF), not a very good shot, but shows text and stuff
www.skillster.co.uk/overmars.rar
notice 10 out of 10 rating for my man overmars :) very rare on WE games
---
actually having looked at it, looks quite crap, i must admit, dscaler does alot of overlay enhancements that wont show in any screen dump, (filtering, noise reduction, de-interlacing, etc), but it is very good for the game running at 60fps.

J*** H*******

Progressive Scan?
« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-01 15:19:48 »
The Skillster

• View Profile
Progressive Scan?
« Reply #9 on: 2004-01-01 22:42:59 »
its usefull info i suppose,
but does it serve the purpose of the topic? the card i mean?