Author Topic: FF7 Alt-Tabbing to desktop and back  (Read 2406 times)

happsai

• View Profile
FF7 Alt-Tabbing to desktop and back
« on: 2006-05-13 03:41:30 »
Hi all.

This is a great message board!  I've learned a lot from here about tweaking my old FF7PC that's been gathering dust for the past 7 years or so.  It looks better than ever with all the new patches!

A question:
When I alt-tab to my desktop at any time in the game and then return to FF7, the next time a battle comes, the game crashes (just before the swirl effect).
Is there any easy way to fix this?

I read a post by Alhexx who said the following:
"The 'swirl' effect, that appears just before the battle causes the crash.  FF7 seems to create a screenshot, saves this screenshot and then, swirles that screenshot. Either the buffer allocation for the screenshot fails or it simply stores an illegal pointer.  If you NOP out the command that tries to read that buffer, the swirl effect succeeds, however, of course it does not swirl"

Me again:
I realize Alhexx's tactic is very technical, but how exactly do you do this? (what tools and steps exactly)?
I would much rather have the ability to multitask from the game than to have the swirl effect before battles.

Thanks in advance to all readers.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Alt-Tabbing to desktop and back
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-13 04:10:29 »
This is a very well known issue, and I don't think any solution has been found. If there is some sort of patch, it would probably be in this thread.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-13 05:58:29 »
Alhexx also came with solution - NOP the problematic opcode :P. Offsets for 1.02 US ff7.exe here.

dziugo

happsai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-13 13:56:45 »
Hi guys.  Thanks for pointing to those posts.
The solution worked perfectly!!!
It worked so easily considering I'm no expert in debugging/hex editting.

I used XVI32 (a free hex editting program) and put "90" across the entire row #2732D9.
Worked brilliantly!

Now in the game, the swirl is either black or a little messed up (with rainbow-like colours), but that's fine.  I was never a huge fan that effect in the PC version anyway.
The multitasking works 100% safely now.
Thanks again for your help!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and replay one of my old favourites in super high res with new character models!
bye bye!