Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI - Definitive  (Read 117447 times)

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Final Fantasy VI - Definitive
« Reply #50 on: 2008-02-12 08:05:24 »
Cool, some more people are interested.

I'm really sorry everyone, I didn't work on it these past two days.  I've been so busy.
Tonight I could've worked on it but my on again off again girlfriend is here.
It's 4AM and she's asleep, that's why I'm able to leave this message...I don't want her to know I'm doing this ;)

But I promise, a beta version will be released before Friday.

Trust me, the wait will be worth it.  Square would have to make a pretty bad ass remake of this game to top my version.

In the meantime, I'd like for you to do some things for me.

*Leave me a message on AIM if you know how to edit the battle text.  (Most likely I'll be able to figure it out on my own, but I'd rather work on other aspects first.)

*If any of you have extensively tried the variety of hard-type patches, make some suggestions as to which one is the best.  I'm looking for hard, but not impossible, and very intricate. (No 2x stats)
  If you don't come up with anything, most likely it will be "FF6 Eviltype" http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/294readme.txt
  Keep in mind, the patch will be optional, so you newbies can play the original difficulty, which is really easy.

Here are some key notes on Eviltype.

"Final Fantasy 3 Eviltype is a patch of Final Fantasy 3 designed to completely rebalance
the overall game, in such a way that it is as hard as reasonably possible without making
it impossible for a theoretical newcomer to the game to still complete without unbelievable
amounts of effort."

This guy worked on every single enemy in the game, and every playable character.

"Q: How long did this take you to make?

A: Silly, that's not a question anyone but me cares about.

But I believe I started mid-January 2005, and altered the master file a few weeks ago.
Call it 19 months.

Actual work hours, though? Couple hundred? I honestly have no idea."

Wow, what dedication lol

"Eviltype endeavors to keep the style of the original monster intact, on
some level. Don't expect a Evil Oscar to suddenly start using Love Token,
or Tritoch to use Tentacles on you. Exceptions are made for exceedingly
generic and pointless randoms, on occasion, but by and large, this holds true."
« Last Edit: 2008-02-12 08:17:51 by Changeling »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #51 on: 2008-02-12 16:15:09 »
Have you tried to edit with FF3usME642 from at Lord J's web site? http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/
With it you can alter the battle script which contains the dialogue in battle. I haven't tried it myself though so backup, backup before you try.

Rixorster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2008-02-12 20:15:13 »
Changeling, thanks for sending the unfinished version, tried to run it on my GBA Flash card and works fine on it, I'll go snooping around for bugs and I'll let ya know if I find any.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: 2008-02-13 16:54:23 »
All right, I'm finally working on it again.

gjoerulv, thanks for the info.  While that does help, I'm more interested in changing the characters battle commands.  Especially 'Fight' to 'Attack'.  (I don't know why that bothers me.)

Thank you Rixorster!! 
Be sure to apply that patch too, see how that mixes together with everything.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: 2008-02-13 23:04:09 »
I got this from Lord J' web site:

Code: [Select]
Offset  Start:    Stop:     Length:                            Description:
        FFE00     100000    8*vary                             Words: blitz descriptions
        1000AE    ?            ?                               Words: percentiles, Esper freebies
        10D400    10FF00    10871 + 3 scrap? + 134 spares      Text: team dialogue in battle       
        11F200    11F9A0    1952                             Words: spell/attack results in battle

You may want to check out this table (it's quite long)
link: http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/ff3romOffsets.html

EDIT: Actually the command names are at offset 35E4A I think. I can make an ips. patch for you to change the names if you want (at least I can try).
EDIT2: lol nevermind that is the skills menu. </stupid>
EDIT3: I found where battle commands are stored. At offset 18D0A0. I'll try to change it and looks what happens.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-13 23:28:30 by gjoerulv »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: 2008-02-13 23:27:51 »
Yeah definitely!

I'm almost done with the script actually.
Actually I am done.
I just need to take a quick look over everything, and compare Sky Render's script to the beginning of mine, because I didn't think about using his until about 1/4 of the way through.

I will send you an email with the files and what I'd like for you to change...so you can work on that while I finish up.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-13 23:29:45 by Changeling »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #56 on: 2008-02-13 23:42:29 »
I managed to make an FIght to Attack .ips. You want it? or shall I rename more commands? As I said the battle command list are et offset 18D0A0. I use v 1.1 but I highly doubt that matters.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: 2008-02-13 23:44:43 »
No way, you tested it and it fits?

My email is almost sent, 70%

And yeah, there are a lot of things I'd like for you to change.

Will your IPS patch overwrite everything that I've done though?

Or can you some how specify that part of it?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #58 on: 2008-02-13 23:52:10 »
I'm not certain. I'll check it out.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: 2008-02-13 23:55:00 »
Hey, just make the changes on my version, which I'm sure that's what you're doing.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #60 on: 2008-02-14 00:09:41 »
Relax it worked fine. No worries. It just changed those bytes I changed from the original.

EDIT: but I'll work on yours, and make an ips of the changes from the one you posted.

I found out how long the different types can be. Keep in mind that white, black and grey magic uses an extra character for the magic type icon (white/black/grey dots).

Genral commands: 7 (ex Bushido)
Magics: 7 (6 if you include the icon)
Esper names: 8
Skeens, slot high end, in battle: 10
Blitz: 10
Dances spell: 10
Slot commands: 10
m-tek commands: 10
Blue magic: 10
Monster's spells: 10
Desperado attacks: 10
Sword Thecs: 12
Dog attacks, lagomorph, ???: 10
Espers attacks:  10
Dance types: 12 (3 spare bytes)

« Last Edit: 2008-02-14 03:32:14 by gjoerulv »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: 2008-02-14 01:29:38 »
It's a good thing I'm looking over this again.
The GBA script by itself can be lame at times.
I'm not saying Sky Renders is perfect either, but combing the two and adding/removing words here and there really makes a difference.
*sigh* This can get really dull though.  But after doing this I realized how bad the original translation sucks. 
The translator was trying to turn it into something disney would make.  I think it's worth it. 
I do love this game, it has a certain charm that I can't explain.  It's retro and artistic.
The only thing that can really bother me is that battle music over and over.  But then, that's all Final Fantasies.

Gjoerulv,

I trust you to use your best judgment on this.
See what you can do, (if you feel like it), and let me know what you changed.

edit: I've already changed the magic and esper names (not the blue magic).  But I left a few unchanged that couldn't fit.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-14 02:03:46 by Changeling »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: 2008-02-14 02:49:26 »
I can't do this anymore tonight, I may die of boredom.

There will be a beta release tomorrow.

Cool? :mrgreen:

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #63 on: 2008-02-14 04:00:29 »
Ok some I didn't change, and if you use FF3usME you can alter all except the Bushidos and the Dances. I see you already did. I'll send you both the .smc file and an ips back. Due to the fact both you and I edited names (I didn't edit more than you told me), one of us much patch an .ips. Either that or I send you mine and you do it over again lol. No worries though, The ips should work. I'll test it after I've posted this. And if it doesn't work I'll tell you.

Under are some notes on the names. Bold means no change and I only commented those names wich were too long to change, so those who weren't too long I changed of course:

Skills:

X-Magic - No change. Dualcast is too long. "2x Mag"?

Blitz:

• Pummel - Rage Fist. raging fist too long.
    AuraBolt - AuraCannon. No room for space.
    Supplex - No change. Thought 'bout MeteoStrke. Looks silly imo.
    Fire Dance - Rising Ash. "PhoenixDnc"? or "R. Phoenix"? "Fire God"?
    Spiraler - Soulspiral,  not Soul Spiral. No room for space.
    Bum Rush - Phantom Ki. What do you think? "Rush" too long anyway.

Slots:

• Lagomorph - Mysidian. Rabbit was too much. I thought 'bout "MysticHare" or "Mist Hare".
    7-Flush - PrismFlash. No space.
    Chocobop - ChocoStamp. No space.
    Joker Doom - Joker Dead. Could be JokerDeath.

Bushidos: All went well.  :-D

Concerning Dances: All names are too long. And it's really hard to adjust and/or come up with new names. Besides, the original ones ain't that bad.  :-D

Lores:

• Aqua Rake - Aqualung. Aqua Breath one letter too long. What do you think of Aqualung?
    Blow Fish - 1000Needls (too long)
    Big Guard - ... No change. Mighty Guard too long, and if you shorten it, I dunno, it sounds kinda silly
    Revenge - ... Revenge Blast too long didn't change.
    L.3 Muddle - Lv.3 Confu. the other was too long. Could change it to L3 Confuse, but then it'll look different from L4 and L5.
    Reflect??? can't be longer. No space.
    ForceField - Same. No space for space lol.
    Pep Up - Transfuse. Transfusion is too long.
    GrandTrain - GrandDelta. No room for space here also. You know, GtandTrine was what it was meant to be. Not Train lol.
    Exploder - Kamikaze. S-Des. is too long and K sound good too huh?

Sent you the files. It worked well for me. Check the description for Dragoon Boots and Thief Glove. Pretty sure they work too. And ain't too sure what Gogo's "select-skills" menu will show, in other words, if Bushido is there or not (instead of SwdTech). Bushido is in the skill menu at least. I don't have any saves that late he, he.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-14 07:14:28 by gjoerulv »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: 2008-02-14 22:34:42 »
Wow, nice work Gjeorulv.

There are a few changes that I'd like to make just for my preference.  I usually don't like names cut off for commands in the battle menu.  But we'll get into that later.

Sorry people, I just started working on it again tonight because I was busy with Valentine's Day.

Like I promised, there will be a release tonight.  Just need to do some fine tuning and it will be out.

Happy Valentine's Day! <3

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: 2008-02-14 22:49:45 »
Does anyone have the Playstation FMVs in good quality?  I'd like to include those with my patch.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-14 23:00:50 by Changeling »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2008-02-15 00:59:39 »
I have final fantasy anthology for PSX.  If you can give me a quick tutorial on how to rip the opening and ending I can do that. 

How are you planning to include FMV's into a Super Nintendo rom?

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008-02-15 10:56:12 »
I don't think you can include the movies. Not only can teh SNES hardware not handle it, I doubt there'd be space enough for it.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: 2008-02-17 07:08:42 »
Hello everyone.

I need to stop making deadlines.  Bad idea to set the date on Valentine's Day. :(

Well, here it is.  The first release.  http://download.yousendit.com/4752797720A2BB81

Included is the IPS patch which should have the new translation, bug fixes, dash patch, original title screen, etc.  The Evil Type patch is included in a separate zip file.  Also, the name changes that gjoerulv and I talked about earlier in this post are in a patch called New Names.  I didn't agree with some of them, so that's why it's not already included.

Keep in mind, this is the first release, so not everything will be perfect.  But it's definitely playable all the way through, just not completely polished.

For everyone new to emulation, you'll need a SNES emulator.  I recommend ZSNES.  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/zsnes/zsnesw151.zip

You will need the US version of the game version 1.0.  Should look something like this, (U) (V1.0) [!].  To apply the patch use this program.  http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/lips100.zip

Again sorry about the wait everyone, I really hope you'll enjoy this patch.  In my opinion, it really is the definitive FF6, the best translation, graphics, and music.

PS: I know that the emulator will not be able to play the PSX FMVs, I just wanted to include them in the zip file.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-17 07:28:41 by Changeling »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #69 on: 2008-02-17 20:21:12 »
Is it possible to make you list all the bugs you fixed? According to this website (and this website) it's plenty of minor bugs in the game. It also has a lot of patches to fix it.

Great work btw!
« Last Edit: 2008-02-17 23:19:35 by gjoerulv »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: 2008-02-17 22:42:17 »
Just these: Vanish/Doom, Sketch, Evade, Psycho Cyan.

You know, I think it was all worth it to make one person enjoy it :)

That second website you posted doesn't have an address, can you repost it?

When this is completely finished I'm going to burn it onto a CD with ZSNES.  I have Lightscribe which lets you print labels onto CDs.  I think that's really cool.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #71 on: 2008-02-17 23:20:09 »
hmm I think I mailed u the same but here u go http://datacrystal.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III_(US)

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: 2008-02-18 01:40:51 »
Gjoerulv,

Which patches do you think I should use?  It seems to me that most of them fix bugs, but also actually create bugs.

So I guess I should rephrase the question.

Which patches are worth using?
« Last Edit: 2008-02-18 01:44:00 by Changeling »

Shadz

« Reply #73 on: 2008-02-18 12:38:40 »
Ive been playing the patch for a while now, and its really good. Ive found a couple of things tho, such as when you have to do the part with all the Moogles, on my game, the word Would is spelt as Woule.

Also, this is just personal preference, but when Kefka is attacking Narshe, and he is talking to his "army", he tells them to kill everyone and one of the soldiers says something, and Kefka calls them all Pussys... in my opinion, it sounds kinda wierd, i dunno maybe its how Kefka is meant to sound, but it kinda sounds like its a Chav saying it.... which isnt that great, maybe it should be changed to something like "for the Weak"?

well thats just my input.

The pathc is great so far, thanks fo all the hard work.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: 2008-02-18 16:16:12 »
Yeah well, I was debating on that for a while.  Maybe I should change it.  But it did seem to fit.
Most likely I will.  I'm sure other people will have problems with it for some reason.
And also it's only said about twice in the whole game so, it shouldn't bother you too bad.
« Last Edit: 2008-02-18 16:21:16 by Changeling »