Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 523903 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
New Project: Bombing Mission!
« on: 2010-04-19 03:20:06 »
Hey guys timu came up with what i think is a good idea. He suggested that we all work on one area of the game. Mainly the first reactor mission. If everyone is on board with this it would be a great thing to do to get more people interested in the project. There are many things to do so there should be something that everyone is good at.

Things to do:
-field backgrounds (i plan on modelling the 1st reactor scene)
-battle backgrounds (anyone up for this?)
-redone battle models, including main characters and enemies (neo has a couple done, need texture)
-redone npc's like jessie and wedge
-enemy battle effects (i can most likely take care of these)

If anyone thinks of anything else let me know and ill add it. Hopefully we can get the whole section done and then release a demo of sorts.

Regarding style, we are trying to stay true to the original feel of the game. Following is a quick list of concepts to keep in mind when working on any game assets:
  • Anime style characters
  • Chibi scale field models
  • Full scale battle models
  • Mainting proportions of original models
  • If you're not sure about something style-wise, ask SL1982 or Timu Sumisu
  • Expected Poly counts for characters/enemies : generally 4000-6000 tris
  • Prerendered background resolution : (to be decided) 4 or 5 times the resolution of the original image

TASKLIST

PLAYER MODELS

Battle

CLOUD Status: Complete

BARRET Status: Needs minor modifications

ENEMY MODELS

GRUNT Status: Complete

1ST RAY Status: Complete

SWEEPER Status: Complete

GUARD SCORPION Status: Complete

To Be Done

MP Status: Available

GUARD HOUND Status: Available

MONO DRIVE Status: Available

FIELD MODELS

CLOUD Status: Minor tweaks to be made

BARRET Status: Will be scaled from battle model

BIGGS Status: Available

JESSE Status: Available

WEDGE Status: Completed

RED SHINRA GUARD Status: Available

MP Status: Available

Misc Field Items

Materia Status: Complete

Save Point Status: Complete (Need files still)

Potion Status: Unknown

Train Scene (File - md1stin) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

Outside Scene 1 (File - md1_1) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

Outside Scene 2 (File - md1_2) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

Outside Scene 3 (nrthmk) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

1st interior reactor scene (File - nmkin_1) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

2nd interior reactor scene (File - nmkin_2) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

3rd interior reactor scene (File - nmkin_3) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

4th interior reactor scene (File - nmkin_4) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

5th interior reactor scene (File - nmkin_5) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

Outside reactor scene (File - nrthmk) Status: Modelled, awaits texture

Elevator scene (File - elevtr1) Status: Unknown

Battle Scenes

OP** Status - Complete

OR** Status - Complete

OQ** Status - Complete

OS** Status - Available

Edit by SpooX: repaired images out of web-archive, temp fix.
If there is a source where the missing images can be found, please pm me

8)
« Last Edit: 2016-02-02 20:22:28 by SpooX »

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-19 03:52:24 »
What style are we wanting for field models?

Have we even decided to touch those at all before now?

Do we have a list of enemies that appear in the first few areas? I only remember a few myself... Are we going with the Retconned enemy style for the guard hounds and such or the old style?

What are our current limitations? I heard someone suggest that semitransparent textures are now viable... Is that true?

Input! I need input if I'm to consider this! =D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-19 03:59:04 »
All original style of course. :P

And no i do not think anyone in the project has touched much of this stuff yet.

There are only a few enemies
-guard scorpion
-sweeper
-guard hound
-those shinra guys that have bionic arms
-the parrots
-and the tiny guns

Semitransparent textures do work now, but not sure how that is relevant to this stuff.

Any other questions?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-19 05:00:05 »
tasklist started, I will be updating throughout the next bit of the night and tmrw, until its done :P

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-19 05:34:20 »
I would like to do the guard hound. :) Made a couple drawings of it based on the concept art of it a while back.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-19 05:40:31 »
I would like to do the guard hound. :) Made a couple drawings of it based on the concept art of it a while back.

Guard hound reserved to you. Good luck with it! ^^

Tomorrow I'll be adding the battle scenes and field backgrounds to the tasklist.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-19 10:06:57 »
In my humble opinion, if you guys are going to postpone every other project, would be clever to finish any model you're doing (for example if someone on the team is in the middle of some critter) pack it up and send all files to SL1982 or Timu. I'm just saying since it would be a waste if files were lost again due to broken laptops/stolen laptops/guys that disappear all of the sudden and we never hear from them again.

From my point of view, if you guys wanted to focus on a area first, it should be something where we are everyday, like golden saucer, for example, since people only are in the first reactor once (although it's almost a replica for the second one). Anyway i understand, you'll start from the beginning, that'll be the most logical thing to do and by the time you guys reach golden saucer you'll probably have a lot more skills than at the moment.

Also, i thought the model for Cloud was already done, at least in the remix patch, Cloud and Barret look pretty much decent.

Anyway, good luck, hope to be playing under your graphics soon :)

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-19 12:05:39 »
We have svn. Why not use it as source control for all project files?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-19 13:09:09 »

Also, i thought the model for Cloud was already done, at least in the remix patch, Cloud and Barret look pretty much decent.

Anyway, good luck, hope to be playing under your graphics soon :)

While there is a Cloud model already, Apz hasn't said if the model could be included in the Avalanche patch or not, although Apz has said he was going to a version of cloud that's more accurate to the original.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-19 14:25:31 »
Cloud should def. be put on the backburner for now, especially since Apz already made a perfectly decent one and IIRC is working on a field model. Having multiple high-quality models for cloud would be counter-productive from a general scope. Although I suppose variety never hurt anyone.

Timu&Millenia aren't going to convert their Barret to a field model?? Why is the Barret field model "unclaimed"??

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-04-19 14:34:32 »
Cloud should def. be put on the backburner for now, especially since Apz already made a perfectly decent one and IIRC is working on a field model. Having multiple high-quality models for cloud would be counter-productive from a general scope. Although I suppose variety never hurt anyone.

Timu&Millenia aren't going to convert their Barret to a field model?? Why is the Barret field model "unclaimed"??

Thanks for noting barrets field model, it's status has been updated. As to Cloud, thats a tricky topic. Apz's cloud doesnt hold with the style we are aiming for the overhaul. Particular features include the belt, hairstyle, and a handful of things we could nitpick at. That and APZ hasn't given permission to include his cloud in the overhaul.

willis936

• View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #11 on: 2010-04-19 19:44:19 »
This project sounds awesome it will really impress even people who haven't heard of FFVII modding.  I'm going to mess around with effects and methods to make the opening movie a little better.  If I come up with anything (no one else has but it's worth a shot) I'd start giving the other vids a shot.

Quick question:  Does anyone know how to extract the videos?  The files in the movies folder is just avis with audio and no video.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-19 19:52:21 by willis936 »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-19 19:49:23 »
This project sounds awesome it will really impress even people who haven't heard of FFVII modding.  I'm going to mess around with effects and methods to make the opening movie a little better.  If I come up with anything (no one else has but it's worth a shot) I'd start giving the other vids a shot.

In regards to the videos, the idea we have is to simply re-animate them with our midgar model. :P We're remaking all these scenes to be rendered anyways, so we'll use em to make the movies as well... those... will likely be the last thing to show up. Also, they require a segement of sector 8, which in gameplay, is past this project (its right after you leave the bombing mission). I'd say, look into modeling up some scenes :P

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-04-19 20:41:38 »
Quick question:  Does anyone know how to extract the videos?  The files in the movies folder is just avis with audio and no video.

There's video there, you just don't have the right codecs installed to play them. You need the Indeo and TrueMotion codecs installed and you need to have tm20dec.ax in your system32 folder.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-04-19 22:01:28 »
Oh right lol.  I guess it would help to install FFVII before I start modding on my laptop XD

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #15 on: 2010-04-19 22:26:59 »
Alright then. Glad to have some more organization here.
Tag me for the MP, yo.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-04-19 22:34:42 »
Are those pics from Grunt, Sweeper and Guard Scorpion final?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-04-20 01:41:21 »
Not final yet. If someone has constructive criticism then we will look at them again.

Does anyone know the scene files for the 1st 2 scenes of the game (train and the next one)?
« Last Edit: 2010-04-20 01:46:34 by sl1982 »

darkken

« Reply #18 on: 2010-04-20 03:17:22 »
Should be: md1stin, md1_2, md1_1

Edit: Also, nmkin_3 and nmkin_4 (even nmkin_5 really) are different views of one big area. Might need to have one person do all three?
« Last Edit: 2010-04-20 03:21:36 by darkken »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-04-20 03:59:08 »

Yeah those 2 files seem to be the same scene

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-04-20 05:13:28 »
Alright then. Glad to have some more organization here.
Tag me for the MP, yo.

SL put you for the field model, but I'll tag you for both that and the battle model. Work from the battle file, it has more detail etc, and we'll scale and modify it for the field version (bring it down to chibi size)!

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-04-20 08:43:24 »
Not final yet. If someone has constructive criticism then we will look at them again.

Don't mind if i do  :D

Ok so starting with the Guard Scorpion:

Main flaw i see on this one is the search lights missing (the ones that search for you in the boss fight).

Here:

Second thing the top of the body on the new model looks like a torso and a head with some handle on top.
In my eyes, the real model isn't like that. In my point of view looks like that upper body is already the scorpion "head". Above the light there should be some kind of surveillance camera connected to that top thingy with a "handle" something like an antena. Then the "hood" would be shaped in two perpendicular cilinders, one shaped to stay above the camera connected to the antena and the other in shape of the parallel line that goes from one arm to the other.

I'll try to express better with my sucky paint skills:

Proportions are wrong, i suck at drawing, it's been a while now ^^

The camera i'm talking is something like this:

Anyway, i think you can easily see it in this picture from the first post:

And this one (ignore the legs):

Lastly, one thing missing. The new model doesn't have "hands" like the original one. Under the two gun tips, there are small "hands".

Next i'll give some criticism to the sweeper too but after all this researching on the guard scorpion, i need a break :D
« Last Edit: 2010-04-20 08:45:51 by Nightmarish »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: 2010-04-20 15:12:43 »
About the hands and searchlights, I modelled them after I posted the screens because I forgot them. Then my harddrive got corrupted and the modifications I made were unretrievable. And about the head, It's definately not like you described it, in the original model. I studied the vertex positions and such as part of the process of remodelling, and also looked at the CC model with textures. so yeah, I just modelled it how I saw it, really.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-04-20 19:12:53 »
Heh, i never saw the original 3D model in a close up, so my point of view might me wrong, since i'm basing myself on ingame experience and some pictures.
Is that sweeper final or did you also did some extra changes?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-04-20 19:26:01 »
By the way you forget few more models that used in Bombing mission.

- Potion blue bottle.
- Green Materia.
- Savepoint.
- 3 different door models.