Author Topic: Chrono projects C&D'd (including technical research)  (Read 9041 times)

FaustWolf

• View Profile
For the admins here, I'm wondering if you'd care to receive a bunch of Chrono Cross PSX notes? :wink:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7396.msg159819.html#msg159819

Square Enix is really on the warpath. Hopefully it only extends to Chrono projects, but I figured I'd give you guys a heads-up in case it proves useful.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Chrono projects C&D'd (including technical research)
« Reply #1 on: 2009-05-10 05:45:53 »
Just like Resurrection and Remake Project.  What is it with Square and Chrono Trigger??

Unless you're going to make a trashy Chrono Trigger game, seems like you may as well not even waste your time.  Or keep it completely secret and then torrent it out.

cloud1414

• Anthony Pierce
    • View Profile
    • The Legend Of Twilight
« Reply #2 on: 2009-05-10 05:49:44 »
That really sucks, lets just hope they dont do it here.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-05-10 09:28:16 »
I told you many times that it's not Disney but Square that's overprotective :P To be honest it's all about reporting. Chrono projects were reported to Square by some random person and they shut it down. Best is to hope that nobody will report these forums.

NameSpoofer

« Reply #4 on: 2009-05-10 16:44:57 »
Great...

I was about to submit my Advent Children mod to Moddb. I think I have changed my mind now.

Anyway I don't know much about these Chrono Trigger projects, but do they act like a new game or they were just a mod?

And I agree with aurenasek116. Also it was Square who sent Yaz0r the C&D not Disney.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-05-10 17:58:18 »
Interesting, I wasn't aware of yaz0r also running into this, though I remember he had to suddenly stop KH-related technical research. Guess that explains it.

Up till the C&D the Compendium received, two playable, original, 3D Chrono projects started by other groups were canned by Square. A section of the Compendium forums was engaged in technical research very similar to what's discussed in the qhimm Technical board and at Romhacking.net. Although Crimson Echoes was intended to be a new game, complete with new story and various other features, it was really just modification of what was already in the ROM for the most part.

It's scary, because Square Enix is literally forbidding us from exploring the game engine and graphics & sound resources. If we so much as open a hex editor and trade information about file formats in Chrono games, we're violating the terms of Square Enix's C&D.

NameSpoofer

« Reply #6 on: 2009-05-10 19:21:34 »
Thanks for the information FaustWolf. It is such a shame that a great project like CT:CE got shut down by Square Enix.

I have read the C&D letter. It is scary, considering the amount of $150,000 fine per work.

Anyway, we should all be careful from now on.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-05-10 19:33:46 »
In several forums we've encountered doubts that this is actually happening. ZeaLitY has posted the header of the email sent to him from Square Enix legal, if anyone wants to double-check.

koral

« Reply #8 on: 2009-05-10 20:58:48 »
Wow... it is always sad to see a project git hit by a C&D  :-(

I dont believe there is any doubt about who-dunnit, SE have a knack of dishing these things with no remorse, simply because they can afford to back-up their lawsuits whilst most victims cannot, even if they are legimatly in the right.

I dont know what that projects were about, but it looked to me as though the Modding was getting out of hand, when SE (or whoever reported them) didn't want the projects to be mis-interpreted in anyway, considering that it was still using their "engine".

IIRC the Chrono games were created by the legendary team of developers, almost all of whom are now working for various different companies.
So unlike SE's current games and IPs, they probably take the Chrono series far more seriously because of the additional strings attached to other companies.

IMO it is just SE's way of trying to keep their friendliness with those other companies more than an attempt to protect the IP.

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
« Reply #9 on: 2009-05-10 23:21:46 »
Moral of the story: don't admit to illegal behaviour in the readme.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-10 23:28:52 by Vanit »

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-05-10 23:29:05 »
It seems obvious in retrospect of course, but the thing is, the Chrono Compendium had actually released a smaller-scale modification over a year ago -- also virally advertised -- without making waves, not to mention a retranslation before that, plus the demo for the work that ultimately garnered the C&D. I think the real kicker this time around was the existence of CT:DS; Square's apparent fixation on copy protection in the C&D order suggests to me that they thought we were modifying CT:DS (a recent product with heavy copy protection), whereas we were really doing an SNES-era modification. Crimson Echoes wasn't all that different from modifications that have been happening for a decade now, though it was certainly an ambitious modification.

Hah, and to think we even got our feet wet in PSX-era modification with Chrono Cross. Interesting that Square Enix didn't pick up on that specifically; maybe because we weren't really that far along, or maybe because some mole really did point CE specifically out to SE as suggested above.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-10 23:30:46 by FaustWolf »

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-05-10 23:39:34 »
It seems obvious in retrospect of course, but the thing is, the Chrono Compendium had actually released a smaller-scale modification over a year ago -- also virally advertised -- without making waves, not to mention a retranslation before that, plus the demo for the work that ultimately garnered the C&D. I think the real kicker this time around was the existence of CT:DS; Square's apparent fixation on copy protection in the C&D order suggests to me that they thought we were modifying CT:DS (a recent product with heavy copy protection), whereas we were really doing an SNES-era modification. Crimson Echoes wasn't all that different from modifications that have been happening for a decade now, though it was certainly an ambitious modification.

Im really really sorry to hear all these projects are gonna have to be cancelled. I don't get what SEs beef is with Chrono trigger? are they planning a remake again? a sequel? a presequel? (to chrono cross) im sure we will find out at E3. I will admit im a bit skeptical about my PSX project now, the last thing i need is a C and D letter from Square Enix as im pursuing becoming a graphic art game designer (designs characters and levels for games)

SEs problem is they don't ask question they just do it. I mean fair enough if it had been the DS copy but it wasn't. You can pick up Chrono Trigger roms EVERYWHERE now. So i just don't get why they get some scared by these projects. Also for example look at the old sonic games? there is countless hacks and mods to these (look on youtube) SEGA have admitted they know about them and they were actually pleased people were doing it. They said its whats selling the other games and keeping sonic alive. Obvoiusly they can't be happy about it but they have a huge fan base so they don't say anything. SEs fan base is starting to thin im sure. This will have pissed SO many people off, and for what? a mod for a 15 year old game? COME ON!!!! I feel for all those who worked there asses off on these projects just to have $E shut them down. I and wish them all the best of luck.

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
« Reply #12 on: 2009-05-11 01:11:52 »
On the other hand though, SE faces a certain dilemma. Copyright only means something if the holder enforces it, otherwise they risk losing their copyrighted material to public domain.

In anycase I'm definitely keeping my projects off the radar until release now.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-05-11 01:26:34 »
On the other hand though, SE faces a certain dilemma. Copyright only means something if the holder enforces it, otherwise they risk losing their copyrighted material to public domain.

In anycase I'm definitely keeping my projects off the radar until release now.

That is very true, however its not like there claiming they made the game because there not so its really a hard one to answer. I also am considering deleting my project topic and keeping it low profile untill im almost ready to release it. But what if we start relaeasing projects then getting C and Ds? I also red somewhere that if you use PPF to patch a game thats legal as you require the orginial data to use it is this correct?

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-05-11 03:52:23 »
Now, I don't mean to make everyone frightened and stop pursuing the art (and it is an art), especially with PSX-era work, which happens in far too few places. Consider it more of a reminder to back up your stuff or make contingency plans.

I imagine the legal repercussions of a C&D are nil as long as you comply with it. I think the Chrono Trigger: Resurrection folks went on to fine careers in their private lives. Now, if you wanted to hire a lawyer to fight it and lost, then it might go on your criminal record if you lost the case.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-11 05:10:59 by FaustWolf »

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-05-11 07:12:22 »
Chrono projects were mainly hacks of the SNES version of Chrono Trigger. Earlier it also featured Chrono Trigger Resurrection which was a full 3D remake of Chrono Trigger in pretty ADVANCED state. Of course when they decided to show screenshots on their page, they instantly got C&D from Square.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #16 on: 2009-05-12 00:11:08 »
To be in the same boat as these people we would have to do one of two things.

1. Release a mod for FFVII included with the game. i.e. An install disc already modded, plus the other three discs already modded(with videos etc.) Which is totally against what this forum stands for as a community.

or

2. Try and completely remake FFVII with PS3 graphics, and then release it as an original game made by so and so.

We don't do those things here, we make mods that take some level of originality and creativity to create. As well as owning an original copy of FFVII PC to personally mod( if you don't you should admit to it and the moderators should ban your IP address).

The Modders at Chrono Compendium were taking a ROM of a game(which is owned by SE and most likely downloaded from the net) opening it, modifying it, and then redistributing the ROM that SE owns.

Understanding why they got a C&D isn't difficult.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-05-12 02:11:32 »
Ohh, clearly they had to open the rom to try and hack it, but I figured they would be releasing patches, not the ROM itself.  It makes more sense now that Squeenix would issue a C&D to them.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-05-12 02:28:52 »
The Chrono Compendium has never, doesn't, and will never, ever release ROMs. Everything was done through patches. Just a standalone mod, like what's been done elsewhere. Only an .IPS format patch would have been released.

I am curious, however, as to why you were under that impression grimmy.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-12 02:52:57 by FaustWolf »

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-05-12 11:18:29 »
I am pretty sure thats what Square enix thought. If only they didn't jump to concunlustions and asked what it actually was and you explained that it was just a patch to alter the orginial game and that it wasn't for the DS version nor the psx version.  When i release my beta of my patch (which will be soon) im literally releasing one file PPF file thats it. I don't see how thats illegal as you need the full proper image on your computer to even play it.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #20 on: 2009-05-12 17:29:52 »
Sorry Faust I wasn't try to attack the compendiums honor, so thanks for setting me straight. I thought that because in reading through the threads you posted CE is referred to as a ROM Hack and a game. Both of which made me think it was a rom that would be distributed. In any event with the rampant availability of hacked 8 & 16 bit roms it wouldn't have been long before someone uploaded a modded CT rom entitled CE. Maybe if it was referred to as a Patch or Mod SE would have taken less notice.

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-05-12 18:49:56 »
I agree that the word "mod" should have been used, since "hack" makes us sound like we were trying to steal credit card numbers or something. It's probably my bad for not advising the core CE team more on the type of language to use. You see, the creators of CE were focused solely on this effort for years, and weren't quite steeped in the wider game modding culture; I got the feeling that they wanted to pour all their effort into one last project before moving on with their lives, whereas a lot of us have dreams of going further and modding other games.

However, I gave the phrase "ROM Hack" the benefit of the doubt since I also visit Romhacking.net frequently, and they don't seem to be attracting any unwanted attention despite the fact that they apply the same terminology to patching that we did. I'm rather sad that the admin of Romhacking.net is accusing the C&D of being fake. While badly worded for a C&D compared to what Chrono Trigger: Resurrection received years ago, it is indeed legitimate -- an admin did get through to SE legal to confirm, as explained over at RH.net -- and denying that legitimacy encourages the very confidence with which the Chrono Compendium forged ahead with its own projects.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-12 18:56:41 by FaustWolf »