Author Topic: Technologically advanced pc setup  (Read 24760 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Technologically advanced pc setup
« on: 2012-08-20 18:00:04 »
Maybe some folks could post any suggestions for some new hardware (motherboards, processors, graphics cards...) which introduce new technological breakthroughs and are about to be released at the end of this year or the next one. I would be glad if we could keep this thread updated while moving forward to new technologies. Thanks!

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
Re: Technologically advanced pc setup
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-20 18:38:07 »
solid state drive aka ssd. they read and write faster, operate at lower temps, and less noise. they are still really expensive so get a 60 or 120gb to use for your OS and things you want to load fast like programs and games then use a standard sata HDD (hard disk drive) for storage. you can even do this on most laptops if youre willing to spare your optical disc drive

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-02 11:49:52 »
Maybe some folks could post any suggestions for some new hardware (motherboards, processors, graphics cards...) which introduce new technological breakthroughs and are about to be released at the end of this year or the next one. I would be glad if we could keep this thread updated while moving forward to new technologies. Thanks!
@leonhartGR, are you familiar with most expensive video card from NVIDIA?

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Unveils-GeForce-GTX-690-Dual-Graphics-Card-Combines-World-s-Fastest-Gaming-Performance-With-Sleek-Sexy-Design-7c1.aspx

Must. . . Have. . . Some. . . Day. . .  :-o

EDIT: Wait a minute, is DVI better than HDMI? Tsk Tsk. At least I have the DVI to HDMI converter.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-02 11:52:11 by ajthedj747 »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-02 14:37:19 »
I'm currently looking on GTX 660 Ti really nice card but I need to change the power supply and it will both cost close to 440 euros, money I won't possibly afford at this time. I'm also not sure if it will respond well with my i5 since the minimum requirements for the best performance is advised to be used on is i7 3.2Ghz.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-02 14:47:02 »
I'm also not sure if it will respond well with my i5 since the minimum requirements for the best performance is advised to be used on is i7 3.2Ghz.
Eh? No, a graphics card doesn't generally have CPU requirements. Most games on the market are fairly GPU-bound; with an i5 and a 660Ti, you should be able to run almost anything at a reasonable framerate. Not necessarily 60fps @ 2550x1440, but playable.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-04 17:53:22 »
Let me know what you think of my setup:

Windows 7 64-Bit

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz

Installed Ram should be 4.00 GB but is 2 GB. I will need to get my memory cards properly re-inserted.

Video Card is the cheap Sapphire Radeon HD 5670

AMD High Definition Audio

I need to get that USB Creative Sound Blaster External Sound Card. I think I will buy it tonight.

A GameStop White X-Box 360 controller for The Elders Scrolls V Skyrim and Final Fantasy VII. Works perfectly with both.

Any advice on what I should do to get both games working faster is accepted. Money is not an issue. Long live Domino's Pizza.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-04 18:08:39 »
SSD's are where its at first link is boot up comparison. 2nd link is game comparison. 3rd link is test setup with raid 0 and 24 of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84eEjP-RL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpiZ44GyYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26enkCzkJHQ

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-17 14:44:12 »
It's probably too late for you now, but this is the best guide I know of:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570

Everything you need to buy a new PC!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-17 16:52:44 »
I have an ATI Radeon HD 6950 AND 6850. If I get a better power supply I could bridge them and get SWEET graphics power out of it. That'll be a while before that happens.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-17 17:28:29 »
I'm waiting for SSDs to drop in price by a fair bit before I get one, don't care how much faster, I ain't paying that much for 10% of the storage of my current HDD which cost half the price.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-18 02:26:52 »
I'm waiting for SSDs to drop in price by a fair bit before I get one, don't care how much faster, I ain't paying that much for 10% of the storage of my current HDD which cost half the price.
I have a 60 Gigabyte Solid State Drive on my Desktop, and I have no clue what to use it for. Any ideas?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-18 02:28:33 »
Put all your games there.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-18 02:34:45 »
Put all your games there.
Oh dear, that might be a little tough to do. I have modded the hell out of TESV Skyrim, same goes for Final Fantasy VII, want to get the debug Buster Sword for the PCSX2 version of Final Fantasy X International....

You know what, I shall put Final Fantasy VII onto it by itself.  ;-)  All the games I own through Steam and Origin and Non Steam ammount to at least 89 Gigabytes. I love me some Bioshock Infinite or some Crysis 3, both which came for free with my computer as an AMD Video Card deal.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-18 02:37:30 »
Well then don't put FF7 there, put the most intensive and lowest fps games there for a performance boost.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-09-18 03:04:48 »
Will do. That would be Crysis 3.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-09-18 16:34:03 »
Typically I put Source-engine games, anything really small (Super Hexagon), and anything I play constantly (Sonic Generations) on my SSD, and everything else on another HDD. This system has served me well.

SSD won't give much of a performance boost in-game. It's more useful for reducing load times. I highly recommend it for open-world games with pop-in problems, or anything with constant load screens (eg lengthy load every time you die, or multiple loads per level, such as Portal 2).

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-09-18 16:37:13 »
That's really what I meant, performance boost was the wrong choice of words.

ajthedj747

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-09-19 00:12:57 »
Typically I put Source-engine games, anything really small (Super Hexagon), and anything I play constantly (Sonic Generations) on my SSD, and everything else on another HDD. This system has served me well.

SSD won't give much of a performance boost in-game. It's more useful for reducing load times. I highly recommend it for open-world games with pop-in problems, or anything with constant load screens (eg lengthy load every time you die, or multiple loads per level, such as Portal 2).
Ah, you play Sonic Generations as well I see. I was so happy to have my dream come true concerning a high definition remake of Chemical Plant Zone. Thank You Sonic Team for making that.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-09-19 14:13:52 »
I have an ATI Radeon HD 6950 AND 6850. If I get a better power supply I could bridge them and get SWEET graphics power out of it. That'll be a while before that happens.

Unfortunately, these two cards are not bridgeable. For the most part AMD Crossfire is only compatible with cards from the same numbered series. If you got a 6970 it would work with your 6950, for example. 7950s are getting cheaper now. Bottoming out at 200USD. Pretty decent bang for your buck.

I just went from a 6850 to a 7870Ghz and I'm not that impressed. Gonna try out a custom PCB 7950 OC since it's the largest card that will fit in my case at the moment.

The price drop must indicate the 8000 series is not so far away. I'm hoping for better cooling and smaller sized cards with good capabilities... not things like the 7990. Nvidia's $1000 cards are gorgeous but I like OpenCL and Radeon has Nvidia completely drunk under the table when it comes to that, and for a fraction of the cost generally.

Recently I've been building some cheap client systems here and there for people I know. I don't see many new technologies that aren't gimmicks coming our way in the next year or two. One thing I'm interested in is something called the Occulus Rift--virtual reality headsets will be the future of gaming displays, perhaps. They will be cheaper than giant monitors and much more immersive. Think FFVII remake: you see things through Cloud's eyes.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-09-19 15:27:17 »
The 8000 series was oem rebranding of the 7000 series. The '9000' series will be out next mont but the naming scheme is different. Eg: the 9870 would be a R9 280

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-09-19 21:38:07 »
It's simple, just get a Titan  ;D

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-09-19 23:16:11 »
The idea with SSD drives is to put your OS and Applications/Games on them. You don't spend that much just for storage of your documents, music, films, etc.

The difference of running your OS and Apps on one is immense!

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #23 on: 2013-09-20 17:45:24 »
SSD are the best for stability. After my pc took a crap I picked one up and used that to install windows. You don't need anything all that big for the C\ anyway. Then just add your bigger hard drives as a data drive. I use two WD 2tb black drives in a raid one and install everything there. Works great for games. 

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-09-20 19:58:23 »
It's simple, just get a Titan  ;D
Snarling Nvidia fanboy right on queue. Cool they fit it in such a small package and I wish cheap AMD cards were half as pretty. Too bad GTX cards are such bad performers in OpenCL. For people with money to burn and not much else to do with their comp than play DX games (and kids with rich mommys). If Nvidia starts making graphics cards that are as realistically priced as AMD then I'll scurry on back over since I have no loyalty whatsoever to any corporation. Loving my new 4770K. Totally smokes my Phenom II x4 Zosma but costs 3 times as much. You usually get what you pay for and with the TITAN you are paying for a lot of power and a lot of bling. I just want the power if they want a thousand dollars for it. Maybe the 7950 is a little further from the power of the TITAN than I'd like, but I can buy 5 of them or 1 TITAN. The 690 is a better choice all around, anyway, if you MUST have a 1000dollar Nvidia card, or 4 of them (even tho 3 may sometimes perform better than 4).     

But the main issue for me is the drivers, not money. I don't like the way Nvidia's drivers are done. I like how Catalyst drivers pretty much work for the entire Radeon series. I wish AMD would straight up copy Nvidia's physical designs for cooling and aesthetics (if they could) or Nvidia started making drivers like AMD. Then I'd switch regardless of price, though I almost never buy the latest and greatest, since my mommy isn't rich and I have to watch my pennies sometimes.