Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837555 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #7250 on: 2018-09-03 01:14:39 »
Another question:

I just killed the Curator on my return to Midgar. The chest behind it contained "Nothing!"

Did I do something wrong? Or is that normal?

Other than entering the diorama room outside of the stated normal visiting hours, you didn't do anything wrong.

« Reply #7251 on: 2018-09-03 14:46:07 »
Other than entering the diorama room outside of the stated normal visiting hours, you didn't do anything wrong.

So if I enter/beat the Curator between its stated hours, there will be something in the chest?

cjmstate

• View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: 2018-09-03 21:12:51 »
Sega - got a question for you on end game as I'm wondering if my mod is working correctly.

Spoiler: show
Final fights against jenova / sephiroth just seem way too easy. Is there supposed to be a jenova alongside Sephiroth at the very end 1:1? I'm only seeing Sephiroth.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: 2018-09-03 23:52:47 »
So if I enter/beat the Curator between its stated hours, there will be something in the chest?

No, no; I was just joking with you. It's an optional fight purely for the challenge of it.

Sega - got a question for you on end game as I'm wondering if my mod is working correctly.

Final fights against jenova / sephiroth just seem way too easy. Is there supposed to be a jenova alongside Sephiroth at the very end 1:1? I'm only seeing Sephiroth.

Maybe a balancing thing, people have said in the past that the Safer fight wasn't as hard as it could be. As for the final fight, the trigger for that was changed to check if
Aeris is still around or not
. If not, then it should be the standard scripted 1v1. If yes, then the other one is used. I'm still not 100% settled on how to handle the ending.

dicksdequina

• View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: 2018-09-05 21:58:48 »
Ok I feel so stupid. I am now in disc 3 but I only just noticed that sources only give me +1 stat! No wonder enemies keep one-shotting me and I deal pitiful damage (I thought that was just the difficulty being unfair). I've read the other replies to this post about the "bug" and I read something about using a certain .exe. I am using 7H btw. Where do you find this .exe and how do you apply it? Also, will the fix be retroactive and apply my stat gains or do I have to farm sp all over again?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: 2018-09-05 22:11:05 »
Ok I feel so stupid. I am now in disc 3 but I only just noticed that sources only give me +1 stat! No wonder enemies keep one-shotting me and I deal pitiful damage (I thought that was just the difficulty being unfair). I've read the other replies to this post about the "bug" and I read something about using a certain .exe. I am using 7H btw. Where do you find this .exe and how do you apply it? Also, will the fix be retroactive and apply my stat gains or do I have to farm sp all over again?

7H doesn't apply .exe changes on its own, so I had to package the exe files separately (7H does something similar, it installs a lot of .exes to cover current mods). The fix won't retroactively fix your characters I'm afraid, so your best bet would be to open your save file using black chocobo tool (make a backup first) and then multiplying the value in each character's Sources stat by 5.

Here's an example: https://imgur.com/a/bClCjIA

The highlighted area is the addition being made to the stat by sources. If you multiply that value by 5, then it'll match what you should have had stat-wise with the .exe patched.

I think given the trouble that an unpatched .exe can cause, I'm going to add some kind of check to the game itself that can figure out if the .exe isn't patched or not. Then it'll be able to either warn the player, or adjust its behaviour.

dicksdequina

• View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: 2018-09-06 06:30:20 »
7H doesn't apply .exe changes on its own, so I had to package the exe files separately (7H does something similar, it installs a lot of .exes to cover current mods). The fix won't retroactively fix your characters I'm afraid, so your best bet would be to open your save file using black chocobo tool (make a backup first) and then multiplying the value in each character's Sources stat by 5.

Here's an example: https://imgur.com/a/bClCjIA

The highlighted area is the addition being made to the stat by sources. If you multiply that value by 5, then it'll match what you should have had stat-wise with the .exe patched.

I think given the trouble that an unpatched .exe can cause, I'm going to add some kind of check to the game itself that can figure out if the .exe isn't patched or not. Then it'll be able to either warn the player, or adjust its behaviour.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I usually avoid save editors because if I open one, I'll be tempted to just give my team OP stats and items instead of just playing the game and working hard for it, which is the fun part for me. However, I will make an exception for this one.

Another question this time regarding the NT Technician on the Highwind, when resetting rank ups to 1/8, does all the accumulated stats reset back to base value or does it just retain your stats and let you continue off it? I'm asking because I'd like to "respec" some characters.

Also I don't know if this is a bug or not, but equipping 4/5 summons with +25 str (Bahamut, Kjata, etc) turns my MP into 30000 and consequently, equipping 4/5 summons with +25 mag turns my HP into the same amount. I'm quite sure this isn't intended. In 7H, I don't think I've installed incompatible mods to NT but I did check "Break 9999 Limit" in the The Reunion Beacause and Menu Overhaul mod (I didn't activate Beacause, only the Menu Overhaul). Does that trigger it?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: 2018-09-06 15:02:12 »
Thanks for the speedy reply. I usually avoid save editors because if I open one, I'll be tempted to just give my team OP stats and items instead of just playing the game and working hard for it, which is the fun part for me. However, I will make an exception for this one.

Another question this time regarding the NT Technician on the Highwind, when resetting rank ups to 1/8, does all the accumulated stats reset back to base value or does it just retain your stats and let you continue off it? I'm asking because I'd like to "respec" some characters.

Also I don't know if this is a bug or not, but equipping 4/5 summons with +25 str (Bahamut, Kjata, etc) turns my MP into 30000 and consequently, equipping 4/5 summons with +25 mag turns my HP into the same amount. I'm quite sure this isn't intended. In 7H, I don't think I've installed incompatible mods to NT but I did check "Break 9999 Limit" in the The Reunion Beacause and Menu Overhaul mod (I didn't activate Beacause, only the Menu Overhaul). Does that trigger it?

It only resets ranks, not the stats. There will be a respec feature in the future (and sources themselves will no longer be used) but that debug script was to fix an issue when changing the way ranks are counted.

There's no materia that gives +25 strength or magic in NT, closest to it is HP-MP Swap that gives +50. The mod also wasn't designed for, or tested with, the break damage/HP limit mod so oddities will probably occur.

Soulofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: 2018-09-07 00:33:35 »
Hey Sega, starting a playthrough again after a few months, and I don't know if it was changed and I didn't see it in the notes, but the fort condor teleport NPC isn't showing up hardly at all. I just did the 5th FC battle and he only showed up for 2 and 3 in Junon, then I backtracked for the 5th and found the NPC still in Junon. For the 6th he was not in Cosmo Canyon, or Junon so I had to fully backtrack. Also, I don't think I ever got the answer, but how much stat points do Barrets innate stacks give per stack?

Edit: *Sigh* Ok well I completely forgot about the NPC popping out of the sealed door, too bad it was after I already backtracked hehe. Remembering when battles become available in vanilla is causing me grief it seems, however the issue with the 4th battle NPC being in junon when the team is near gold saucer still stands.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-07 00:44:57 by Soulofsteel »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: 2018-09-07 02:20:26 »
Hey Sega, starting a playthrough again after a few months, and I don't know if it was changed and I didn't see it in the notes, but the fort condor teleport NPC isn't showing up hardly at all. I just did the 5th FC battle and he only showed up for 2 and 3 in Junon, then I backtracked for the 5th and found the NPC still in Junon. For the 6th he was not in Cosmo Canyon, or Junon so I had to fully backtrack. Also, I don't think I ever got the answer, but how much stat points do Barrets innate stacks give per stack?

Edit: *Sigh* Ok well I completely forgot about the NPC popping out of the sealed door, too bad it was after I already backtracked hehe. Remembering when battles become available in vanilla is causing me grief it seems, however the issue with the 4th battle NPC being in junon when the team is near gold saucer still stands.

I think the NPC spawn times are:

1: No spawn (first physical visit to FC)

2 & 3: Junon, before and after getting into the water

4: After getting buggy, no spawn as players usually backtrack to Junon continent with buggy for sleeping man access + enemy skills, but I think he spawns in Gongaga on one of the paths outside the town just in case (and for later after Temple of the Ancients when party relocates to Gongaga)

5: Cosmo Canyon after selecting Cave of the Gi party, NPC appears when door opens

6: After completing Cave of the Gi, player can reuse the NPC in Cosmo Canyon

7: Rocket Town, NPC is in Cid's house sitting in the green car

8, 9, 10, 11: The Bronco is available at this point, making it easier to access either NPC spawn locations or Fort Condor itself so no new spawn locations were made

12 & 13: Forgotten City, spawns inside shell hut to make this fight accessible; can be used again after boss fight to save a return trip

14-18: These are problematic because the game 'skips' over them during the Junon Raid scenes. I decided to leave these inaccessible and started Fort Condor off with enough funds to cover these battles.

19: Highwind now available

20: Inaccessible, happens during Mideel collapse (placing a teleport here would have been funny, but maybe a bit inappropriate for a story-critical scene)

And that's all of them. The 4th spawns in Gongaga and can be used if players don't want to go back to the Junon continent with the buggy. It can also be used for quick access after Temple of the Ancients is finished (and before sleeping forest is woken up).
« Last Edit: 2018-09-07 02:22:47 by Sega Chief »

Soulofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7260 on: 2018-09-07 07:13:37 »
So the NPC has many spawns, and when he spawns at one, he spawns at ALL of them? I have misunderstood if that's the case, I was under the impression he spawned in the one point where you were at the time. I also believe I've misunderstood the FC battles for many years, I thought there was much less time in between when one becomes available and when it skips one. Thanks for the info. Anything about barrets innate? Always wondered about the numbers there. Also I haven't seen the Precious Watch from the chocobo square yet, i seem to recall betting on races to get them in a previous playthrough, have they moved? Or maybe can't get them on disc 1? Is the powersoul in arrange yet?
« Last Edit: 2018-09-07 08:21:38 by Soulofsteel »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: 2018-09-07 15:57:16 »
So the NPC has many spawns, and when he spawns at one, he spawns at ALL of them? I have misunderstood if that's the case, I was under the impression he spawned in the one point where you were at the time. I also believe I've misunderstood the FC battles for many years, I thought there was much less time in between when one becomes available and when it skips one. Thanks for the info. Anything about barrets innate? Always wondered about the numbers there. Also I haven't seen the Precious Watch from the chocobo square yet, i seem to recall betting on races to get them in a previous playthrough, have they moved? Or maybe can't get them on disc 1? Is the powersoul in arrange yet?

Barret's innate, it's something like +5 per stack to the corresponding stat (strength if front row, vit/spr if back row). Precious watch is S-Rank only, I think in NT you can bet on any rank of race regardless of whether you've raced or not. Powersoul is now dropped in arrange by the demons gate boss.

Soulofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: 2018-09-07 20:31:37 »
Awesome, thanks a bunch for the help.

Edit: Is that for sure where the watch is? I have bet on over 50 S rank races now and I have yet to even see the watch as a prize. Also the demons gate (Devil's gate rather as it refers to in where is the thing) says it has a morph to get the amulet. Is that true on arrange as well, and if so, is it obtainable elsewhere?

« Last Edit: 2018-09-08 10:36:21 by Soulofsteel »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: 2018-09-08 14:14:05 »
Awesome, thanks a bunch for the help.

Edit: Is that for sure where the watch is? I have bet on over 50 S rank races now and I have yet to even see the watch as a prize. Also the demons gate (Devil's gate rather as it refers to in where is the thing) says it has a morph to get the amulet. Is that true on arrange as well, and if so, is it obtainable elsewhere?

The prizes weren't changed, but I think S-Rank can have anything from the previous race tiers as a prize so your odds aren't great for getting one. In Arrange mode, there's a different version of Gate who has the weapon drop, I don't think that enemy is listed in the spreadsheet.

Soulofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: 2018-09-09 03:19:07 »
Alright thanks. I just got to the sunken gelnika and I found the triple materia growth weapons for several characters, except red XIII, cait sith, and vincent. Am i missing them, are they in a different place, or do they not have one?

Edit: Forgot about the Seraph Comb for Red, but cait sith and vincent still appear to not have one.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-09 07:27:57 by Soulofsteel »

Soulofsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: 2018-09-09 11:19:21 »
I have finally at least seen Precious watches as prizes now, about 6 times and of course never won one. Betting on races has to be one of the most tedious and awful mini games ever. been at it over 5 hours straight now and haven't gotten a single watch QQ.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: 2018-09-09 12:21:32 »
Alright thanks. I just got to the sunken gelnika and I found the triple materia growth weapons for several characters, except red XIII, cait sith, and vincent. Am i missing them, are they in a different place, or do they not have one?

Edit: Forgot about the Seraph Comb for Red, but cait sith and vincent still appear to not have one.

Oh, if you're on Disc 2/3 then you can pick up a precious watch from floor 63 while revisiting Shinra HQ. I thought you were betting on chocobo races cause you didn't have a racing one yet.

fafefifofu

• View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: 2018-09-09 14:34:16 »
Hi , I'm still on my first playthrough with this mod and I didn't find the 4x-cut materia where it should've been in the gelnika, there was instead another item. Is there any other place where I can find it? Or is there any mob that drop it?
« Last Edit: 2018-09-09 14:42:12 by fafefifofu »

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: 2018-09-09 20:25:52 »
Hi , I'm still on my first playthrough with this mod and I didn't find the 4x-cut materia where it should've been in the gelnika, there was instead another item. Is there any other place where I can find it? Or is there any mob that drop it?

multicut can be found in the Ancient forest (the one on the plateau near cosmo canyon

fafefifofu

• View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: 2018-09-09 22:16:18 »
Is there any other way to acquire it? Because I always get different items then the ones I'm supposed to looking at the walkthrough videos of the mod. Maybe a drop from some mob?

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: 2018-09-10 14:35:56 »
all of the posted videos are of a much older version of the mod. Theres a readme included in the download called "where is the thing" that will tell you where to find materia and eskill. but its a little outdated as some of the things have been removed or changed. Your sure fire way to find the location of things is to download the Proudclod scene editor and the Makoureactor flevel editor and search for the eskills and materia/items you want in them. But thats for moderate -> advanced users.

Mr.Nona

• View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: 2018-09-11 00:34:04 »
Hello everyone. Newbie on here.

I've recently played this mod and I've got to say I enjoyed it from beginning to end, so congrats for your work Sega Chief. I am a seasoned player of FF7 myself and there were a couple of times when I died because I didn't set up properly. I'd like to share some of my views on the mod if you don't mind.
  • Somehow, this new rebalance of materia increasing/reducing stats felt a bit odd, especially during the first half of the game. I was not interested in equipping various materias just because they would reduce a character's stat to 0. It wasn't much of a problem later on, though, since you had more options to compensate.
  • I love the idea of not having to grind in game, but I was leveling up too fast for my liking. I was receiving a bunch of exp from bosses already so I ran from most encounters unless I wanted to morph a certain solo enemy, but these awarded a ton of exp as well. This led me to end up with lvl 1 limits for most characters on disc 3 (which I'm not too worried about) even though I tried switching them from time to time. I'm aware that you reduced the requirements to get new ones but since exp plus is obtained rather early, it could be a good idea to reduce exp gained in battles a little.
  • Also, I know it has to be difficult to make the game more balanced and I understand why you modified certain wepon/armor/accessories to try to make the game challenging. But just like with materia, after trying some I felt reluctant to use certain ones. For instance, ribbons are almost useless now (imo) because you would want to be able to cast barrier/mbarrier/shield in those few fights that truly require overall stat protection and you'd be better off using added effects and other accessories. Plus, it seems that some enemies override their effect (and the same goes for resist), though not sure that is intentional (which would make them pointless) or if it's some kind of bug. Or sprint shoes, which won't grant you haste anymore after a character is reanimated.
  • Finally, there could be a blatant message to emphasise the importance of destruct materia. Just a suggestion, as I've seen some people do not realise that dispel is your best friend here and they start cursing the mod and criticising it.

As a side note, I noticed that Cait Sith triple weapon is actually wrongly adjusted. The slot type is fine, but the growth says 'nothing' (and I checked you don't gain AP). Also, is vincent's triple weapon missing? Or am I just to blind that I cannot find it in the Genilka?

Anyway, I'm thinking about starting another playthrough when I have time, but on Arranged mode this time. Is there much of a difference apart from changes in enemies AI? And will the spreadsheets still be useful or have items changed completely? There isn't much info about it on the documents. Sorry for the lengthy post, and congrats again for this great mod!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: 2018-09-11 12:45:27 »
Is there any other way to acquire it? Because I always get different items then the ones I'm supposed to looking at the walkthrough videos of the mod. Maybe a drop from some mob?

As of the latest version, Multi-Cut should be in the treasure box at the very end of the forest (note that the cave screen is no longer used with ancient forest). Should be to the right of this location at end:

Hello everyone. Newbie on here.

I've recently played this mod and I've got to say I enjoyed it from beginning to end, so congrats for your work Sega Chief. I am a seasoned player of FF7 myself and there were a couple of times when I died because I didn't set up properly. I'd like to share some of my views on the mod if you don't mind.
  • Somehow, this new rebalance of materia increasing/reducing stats felt a bit odd, especially during the first half of the game. I was not interested in equipping various materias just because they would reduce a character's stat to 0. It wasn't much of a problem later on, though, since you had more options to compensate.
  • I love the idea of not having to grind in game, but I was leveling up too fast for my liking. I was receiving a bunch of exp from bosses already so I ran from most encounters unless I wanted to morph a certain solo enemy, but these awarded a ton of exp as well. This led me to end up with lvl 1 limits for most characters on disc 3 (which I'm not too worried about) even though I tried switching them from time to time. I'm aware that you reduced the requirements to get new ones but since exp plus is obtained rather early, it could be a good idea to reduce exp gained in battles a little.
  • Also, I know it has to be difficult to make the game more balanced and I understand why you modified certain wepon/armor/accessories to try to make the game challenging. But just like with materia, after trying some I felt reluctant to use certain ones. For instance, ribbons are almost useless now (imo) because you would want to be able to cast barrier/mbarrier/shield in those few fights that truly require overall stat protection and you'd be better off using added effects and other accessories. Plus, it seems that some enemies override their effect (and the same goes for resist), though not sure that is intentional (which would make them pointless) or if it's some kind of bug. Or sprint shoes, which won't grant you haste anymore after a character is reanimated.
  • Finally, there could be a blatant message to emphasise the importance of destruct materia. Just a suggestion, as I've seen some people do not realise that dispel is your best friend here and they start cursing the mod and criticising it.

As a side note, I noticed that Cait Sith triple weapon is actually wrongly adjusted. The slot type is fine, but the growth says 'nothing' (and I checked you don't gain AP). Also, is vincent's triple weapon missing? Or am I just to blind that I cannot find it in the Genilka?

Anyway, I'm thinking about starting another playthrough when I have time, but on Arranged mode this time. Is there much of a difference apart from changes in enemies AI? And will the spreadsheets still be useful or have items changed completely? There isn't much info about it on the documents. Sorry for the lengthy post, and congrats again for this great mod!

The materia bonus/penalties were altered recently to have more of an impact, but there's likely fine-tuning needed to be made.

EXP was an issue in the original builds of the game, so I built in some 'soft-caps' to every 10 levels (11, 21, 31, 41, etc.) to try and help with that, increasing the EXP given by enemies in later areas at an exponential rate to boost players through the caps; it sort of works, but not for everyone. A potential alternate solution is maybe setting it so that enemies give reduced EXP once the player party is higher level than them.

As for Destruct, I think it starts equipped on Red XIII. If Sample HO512 made use of some grand ability that gives statuses like Peerless or Shield, then some text claiming Destruct/Debarrier will work against it, then that might keep it in player's minds as something that can turn a fight around for the future. I've seen a lot of runs where Destruct is usually shelved and forgotten about.

Mr.Nona

• View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: 2018-09-11 19:15:24 »

The materia bonus/penalties were altered recently to have more of an impact, but there's likely fine-tuning needed to be made.

Yeah, I noticed. I started playing through 7th heaven and then updated the .exe and realised they had changed (luckily I was just in sector 5). I think independent and summon materia are OK, it was the rest that I thought did not fit that well (at least to me). Magic materia is now less harsher while command and support had some important reductions. Yet again, it may be the best option to avoid using the same strategies through the entire game.

EXP was an issue in the original builds of the game, so I built in some 'soft-caps' to every 10 levels (11, 21, 31, 41, etc.) to try and help with that, increasing the EXP given by enemies in later areas at an exponential rate to boost players through the caps; it sort of works, but not for everyone. A potential alternate solution is maybe setting it so that enemies give reduced EXP once the player party is higher level than them.

As you said, it could work for some people. That would be nice if you're trying to 'semi-force' people to play on certain levels in order to maintain the challenge. However, if you were trying to keep underleveled, it would still be the same problem. Maybe there could be an item/option that prevents you from gaining exp at all? Anyway, don't worry too much about that. The exp system is fine for the average player as it is right now .

As for Destruct, I think it starts equipped on Red XIII. If Sample HO512 made use of some grand ability that gives statuses like Peerless or Shield, then some text claiming Destruct/Debarrier will work against it, then that might keep it in player's minds as something that can turn a fight around for the future. I've seen a lot of runs where Destruct is usually shelved and forgotten about.

That's a great idea.

I'll probably start a second playthrough sooner than I expected as I got some days off. If I find any bugs or problems within Arranged Mode I'll be sure to post any feedback that you may find useful.

Edit: One important thing that I forgot to mention is that the new E. Skill 'Transfusion'  is unobtainable from the Death Joker enemies in the North Crater. They seem to be impossible to manipulate (there is no 'miss', as if they were inmune).
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 17:40:16 by Mr.Nona »

kimura410

• View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: 2018-09-17 01:16:59 »
Sega,

Thank you so much for this mod. I play ff7 once a year and this mod breathed life into my fav game of all time.

Unfortunately I think I ran into my first bug (somewhat minor since I barely use him). But when I went to do Vincents sidequest, I got the cutscene from the original game showing Vincents past. It makes me leave lucrecias cave like in the original and when I go back in she is gone and nothing happens. I saw videos on youtube where it doesnt even show that cutscene, a boss battle occurs right when you talk to lucrecia.

Was I supposed to do something on disc 2?

Oh and this has been bothering me but who is the last playable character? Im guessing its sephy since an ultimate weapon is listed as masamune. How do I recruit him? Do I just need to fight him at the n. cave? Wont that just end the game after I beat him?

Thanks!