Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Status effect hit chance, precise formula  (Read 1782 times)

meesbaker

• View Profile
Hi guys, its me again :D
I have a small question regarding battle mechanics. How exactly does the maths behind calculating whether a status effect such as poison connects,  work?

In TFergussons battle mechanics guide, who I have always experienced to be a person with perfectly well tested and accurate info, it says that the status stat of the move is equal to the success rate as a percentage. For example a move that has a status stat of 32, as he explains it, gets substracted by one and then compared to a seed random of 0..99 to check  which number is higher. This will obviously make a 32 status stat resemble a 32% chance.

However, he does not really explain where that status stat is coming from. When I look into the KERNEL.BIN file using NFITC1's wallmarket tool, the stats are all divided by 4. And I dont understand why that is or how exactly the maths is applied. For example when I check on ff7wiki(which I basically dont really trust on a lot of indepth stuff), poison magic is claimed to be a 48% chance to inflict poison. The actual status stat is 12/63 in the KERNEL.BIN file though. The same applies to any other status infliction tool, the stat being 1/4 of the percentage we regard as the true value.

Following TFs guide the chance would be only 12%, but that is obviously not the case. An increment of the value to  around 20+ seems to pretty much guarantee the poison so it seems to be possible that its exactly 1/4. But there is no real proof or explanation for why that is and what exact formula is doing that.

Im sure you guys know  :-D
« Last Edit: 2020-01-09 18:39:55 by meesbaker »