Author Topic: [FF7PSX PAL-G] Cloud 16 parts Field Model Patch (2013-10-18)  (Read 13703 times)

meesbaker

• View Profile
This is a mod release for the PSX version of Final Fantasy 7. What it does is overhaul the game to expect a 16 part Field Model from Cloud except for the standard 15 part model and fix all issues and bugs this usually causes as for example parts of Cloud not showing up or texture garble and even game crashes appearing. This gives a modder more options to extend Clouds Field model like equipping the Buster Sword to him or totally replace him by Zack/Sephiroth.

The mod does not apply the Field model changes shown in those Screenshotsl. Those I made myself just to demonstrate what this mod enables you to do which you normally cant. It is a modders resource so feel free to use it for your own graphical mods. When you apply the ppf patch to a fresh iso all that it does is tell the game to load 16 parts from Cloud that means if you install this and use a 15 part Model for Cloud it may cause alot of trouble so be aware of what you are doing!!
After applying this mod all you have to do is insert your field model into Cloud.BCX and all parts should show up properly and cause no garbage to the game.

The supplied ppf can be applied to all 3 discs.

Download PPF Here:
[PAL German] http://www.mediafire.com/download/ycgjqxe1y7c60tp/patch.ppf

Unfortunately as for now this was done for the Pal German version so I can not ensure this will work with other versions. I will soon prepare this file for the NTSC-U version as well however this will take a while unless someone comes up with a great idea how to update the whole FIELD folder on the iso at once.

If you are interested in the Buster Sword patch look here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14685.0

ENJOY MODDING !! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 18.10.2013

-Now works with physical PSX/PSP perfectly (I believe)
-fixed crashes end game
« Last Edit: 2014-07-17 21:58:51 by Covarr »

vayneruel

• View Profile
Re: [REL FF7/PSX] Cloud 16 parts Field Model Patch
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-19 20:53:47 »
Great job, congratulations.

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-21 00:17:06 »
Nicely done.

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-22 07:51:28 »
So you changed all the BSXs to modify cloud's  number of parts, this is a lot of work , good job

For sephiroth model, you told me in youtube that you dont know how to attach the part ( i suppose ur talking about the missing long hair on the back) , so if your cloud's model have now 16 parts, all you have to do is to  swap sephiroth BCX with cloud's without modifying anything ( so you keep sephiroth model parts data and bone data)
Normally your sephiroth will be exactly the same than the original , ( btw why you give to him cloud's legs  in the last screen shoot?)

Cloud recolored with the buster sword look really nice !

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-22 13:04:20 »
Thats the problem man I was hoping to be able to do that BUT Sephiroth also has more bones than Cloud. The animations are dependand on the amount of Bones a Field model has, Aerith and Sephiorth could share animations but Clouds animations do not work for them. And of course I have no time to go through the whole game and just replace any Cloud animation by a Sephiroth animation that quite fits in the situation.

Editing the BSXs and Dats wasnt that much work,  I used a FOR batch in cmd with sed to swap all x00\x16\x0F for x00\x16\x10. For the BSXs I just have to increase the ram pointer so I wrote a c program to handle that. The WORK was getting all those files into the iso 1 by 1 and I basically have to do that once more for the NTSC-U version.

Back on Sephiroth: To use Clouds animations we have to strip his body parts over Clouds skeleton and there seems to be no bone in his skeleton that places the hair right. 05 is the default one but on Clouds skeleton that makes the hair invincible, I tried 02 (where I succesfully placed the buster sword) and by now pretty much all other bones as well but they place the hair in weird situations. So it seems to be a little difficult. I guess I have to modify the part data and the part itself to make it place properly at bone 02.

Why I gave him Clouds legs ? Well you maybe see for that role swap I gave Cloud Sephs legs and colored him. The thing is that those legs made for the 24 bone skeleton look weird with the animations of a 22 bone skeleton. For Sephiroth it would be ok but Clouds legs with Sephiroth animations are no go, he looks like he sh*t his pants then....Its got something to do with Sephiroth animations putting the legs very closely together while Clouds dont.

Well by now this patch is really only useful to get the buster sword but I couldnt yet make it useful for the sephiroth patch. Im working on one as well but I also wanna go into all BSX files where Sephiroth appears and swap him for Cloud, you can see the last screenshot. I also swapped the battle roles, so Cloud has the big stats and is invincible n stuff just totally swap the roles.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-02 00:36:34 by meesbaker »

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-26 21:38:37 »
I forget that the animations depend of the bones, so yes finnally the only way to have the " real " sephiroth and his own animations will be to change every animations in each BSX , and this is too much time.. it seem the best and easiest way is just to re skin cloud with sephiroth 's parts, i personnaly give to him dayne's standing animations because cloud's really dont fit with sephiroth ( in that case the missing part on the hair cant be solved until someone know how to fuse the hair and the head into one single part, like they did for the PC version of the sephiroth patch)

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-28 20:11:49 »
Of course I downloaded your Sephiroth patch and saw that immediately. You changed the standing animation but if you test that properly ( I always use the 1st nibelheim flashback as demo) you will come to the same conclusion that i have: As we are dependand on Clouds animations we can not swap some of them. Either you change all animations or none of them.

The standing is like the default animation. Bypass, nothing, call it what you want. The animation that plays whenever no other animation plays and in any conversation or any other situation where BSX animations animate Cloud it is extremely obvious that there is one animation that does not fit into the picture at all. Its like Cloud(Sephiroth) is "Jumping" between himself and some other person. It looks absolutely strange how his wrong standing animation keeps kickin in.

What I am doing and hopefully finishing in the next month or 2 is totally swap Clouds and Sephiroth roles. This way Clouds standing animation also fits to our new Sephiroth as he also enherites Clouds character in a way. Now Sephiroth is the young energic Soldier who wanted to prove himself and Cloud is the wise powerful creepy badass.

P.S.
By the way I was pretty impressed by your new limit breaks. Did you swap vincents limit animations into Cloud.LZS and swap the other monsters into hellgigas.lzs etc . ?
I could not even get Vincents standard limit breaks to work on Sephiroth and you do summon Sepher Sephiroth. That sure is amazing stuff!
« Last Edit: 2013-09-28 20:14:33 by meesbaker »

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-29 02:37:39 »
Yes the animations contained in the BSX are a problems since they are still the originals.. having the REAL sephiroth animations, even the one in the BSX would be great.

For sephiroth's limit break i create a new animations script for them, using in the first part of the animation caith sith ' transform' limit break , and in the second time i added vincents transformation animation script.
The problem after doing this is > the monster will be bigger ( because cait sith transform) and uncontrollable becauce vincent IA . To resolve these problems i modified the transform limit break file in the magic folder ( called gattai.bin) , by deleting the size modifier, and i deleted vincent's IA in the limit break editor. And finally yes i swapped safer sephiroth with galian beast, death gigas and even vincent's shotgun model. (for vincent's limit break , if you modify only with a limit break editor you only will get the IA, so the bad part of the limit break, the transformation part is inside the animation script, in the cloud.lzs)

That wasnt easy and i failed many times before complete this, very annoying part of this mod's creation
« Last Edit: 2013-09-29 02:40:58 by Jeet »

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-29 11:10:11 »
Howd you know which animations inside the battle model is which ? Its like 70 or so in cloud.lzs which ones are the limit breaks?
If I knew which animations do what I would swap some of the common animations from Vincent.LZS(as he has the same amount of bones so his stuff wont look creepy on seph) into
Sephiroth.Lzs so he has an animation for dying/4xslash/attack all n all those things.

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-29 18:08:24 »
I  already give to sephiroth *4 cut/ death blow/ slash all, i only didnt give him a death animation because he dont have one.

To do this you have to go in the animation script of your character, located just after the model section  , the model section = 68 bytes, it mean just after this you'll have the "offsets to animations script", it always start with "190" ( its 2 bytes or 4 bytes i dont remember) for playable characters, to calculate where is the first animation script you have to do "190+ offset to model section = the location of your very first animation script" ,which is the " standing" animation" ( 4 bytes) then  the " hurt" animations and all the, what im calling, automatic animations, after all of them you'll have what i call the manual animations, the ones from your command list, attack, magic, summon,limit breaks, etc,i dont remember all but  i writted a note when i was making the mod, with all the animations listing.

For example, here is a " double cut" animations script :

FC 02 03 F7 01 04 05 9E

FC 06 07 F7 01 08 09 E5 EE

I managed to find certain values with the wiki and i completed the rest by testing each codes one by one

FC = make your character look in the direction of the enemy you aimed

02 = second animation ( same for all other numbers like this so 03 is the third , 04 fourth, etc, most of attacks are the combinations of 4 animations)

F7 01= making the damage appear after one frame , when a number is following f7 its not an animation but the number of frame you wait after the damage will appear on the screen)

9E= used to link your first attack with another one, this is used for double cut, 4 cut, and tifa's limit breaks, for " combo"

E5= your character return to the default standing animation

EE= the end of your animation ,most of time you have a lot of space to make longer animations than the originals, but for characters with gunfire and many sounds, like dyne, you' are forced to enlarged a lot your animation script, by doing this you will 'erase" the next animation script, so you have to re write the new offset  by doing : "offset to the animation script - model section offset = new offset of animation script"

This isnt simple, and my english is not perfect , dunno if you understand everything i said , lazy bastard  havent detailled the animation scripts in his breakdown, but he give certains details in another post, which helped me to discover everthing about this (with the help of the wiki they decrypted certains animations codes)
« Last Edit: 2013-09-29 18:13:26 by Jeet »

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-29 18:37:58 »
"I didnt give him a death animation because he doesnt have one"
Well thats the point of giving him one :D I think Vincents animations should work for this kind of stuff.
Thx for all the info ;)

Loki_

• View Profile
Mate do you still plan to release this along with the the Buster Sword patch for Ntsc US version too? :)

meesbaker

• View Profile
Yes, the HEROES patch for NTSC-U includes this. Once I have completed HEROES disc2/3 I will be able to create a patch that only includes the altered BSX pointers and put it here.

Loki_

• View Profile
Nice!  :) yeah i saw the thread about your HEROES project and looks amazing, the thing is that for the moment i want to re-play the game with "default" story..without any Sephirot mod, because i play the game with Sadnest italian translation patch and I suppose both things are not compatible. Would be great if you could release a part just the models improvement for default game (ntsc US version off course  ;D) cuz all looks really great.. meanwhile i'm using yours "Better Models" and Cloud Mako Eyes" patch on my psp eboot and all work like a charm. Thanks a lot  ;)