Author Topic: FF8 MIDI  (Read 3051 times)

mike

• Life's a B**** and then you die.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
FF8 MIDI
« on: 2005-01-23 21:06:03 »
I'd like to download some of the FF8 MIDI so I can listen the MIDI files outside the game, but I'm worried about the memory leak.  So there are a few questions about it.

First of all, how serious is it?

And second of all, will whatever leaked out come back at some point?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF8 MIDI
« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-23 21:32:35 »
THe FF8 Configurator v2 (available at FFSF) can play the game music (on the "Sound & Music" tab) -- but you don't get to see the song titles like you do in FF8 MIDI, just the file names.  So, there's a memory-leak-less alternative.

Also, there's a Winamp plug-in to let you play FF8's .sgt files in Winamp.

I haven't tried FF8 MIDI in a while, but back when I used it on a Win98 machine with 128 MB RAM, after a while of use, the program would start getting all slow and crash, and I would just restart the machine.  Try it out and see how it works for you...

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Re: FF8 MIDI
« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-24 05:25:16 »
Quote from: mike
I'd like to download some of the FF8 MIDI so I can listen the MIDI files outside the game, but I'm worried about the memory leak.  So there are a few questions about it.

First of all, how serious is it?

And second of all, will whatever leaked out come back at some point?

Ironically I still haven't fixed that memory(?) leak (shame on me), probably because I never learned to use DirectMusic properly... Anyhow, the leak probably has to do with FF8MIDI forgetting to free up some resource whenever the song changes, and will eventually result in the program (or even the system, if you run an older OS like Win95) getting sluggish and eventually crashing.

If you use a modern OS like XP, the resources should be freed when you close the program, but since I still don't know what exactly is leaking I can't guarantee it. I would recommend using some of the programs Aaron mentioned instead.

mike

• Life's a B**** and then you die.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
FF8 MIDI
« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-24 07:39:04 »
Okay, thanks for your help guys. :D