Author Topic: Need a Website Developed. Any Takers?  (Read 8425 times)

Mesden

• View Profile
Need a Website Developed. Any Takers?
« on: 2008-11-09 10:19:20 »
Alright. It seems E-mailing the Voice Actors isn't the way to proceed with this Project. It's unreliable, and I'm just repeating information. Therefore, I'm looking for a volunteer who would like to help in developing a Website. This would be the purpose of the Website:

REGISTRATION / LOGIN
A basic Login / Registration Tool. (Would require a Captcha for Verification)

MODERATOR CONTROL PANEL
Lists each Registered User. The Admin / Moderators would be able to Promote / Demote Users.

Rank A -- Starting Level of a Registered User
Rank B -- Promoted User, Required for using the Upload Tool
Rank C -- Moderator
Rank D -- Website Administrator

UPLOADING TOOL
There would be a Dropdown Box indicating the Scene Names. Within the Dropdown Box would be the list of Scenes, pre-determined by the Rank C / Rank D Users through the Moderator Control Panel. Rank B/C/D Users would pick one of these options in the Dropdown Box (Example: Scene 3). Once the User has selected the Scene, another Dropdown Box would appear right beneath that, listing the Characters for that specific Scene (Example: Aeris). Below that, the User would then select all the Files he/she wants to Upload for Scene 3. This would upload those Files onto the FTP, in the Scene 3 > Aeris - (Date Uploaded) Directory. The (Date Uploaded) would be replaced by the Date in which the Recording was uploaded (Example: 110908)

FORUMS
Basic Forums such as phpBB will do.

SCRIPT & GRAPHS?
Berri and Tsetra mentioned the idea of putting the Script on the Website, and even having a Graph which shows how far along each person is with their Recordings, and how far along the Project is coming. I'm not sure exactly how this would work but it's a good idea.

Thoughts? Any Webmasters up to the task?

Jari

Re: Need a Website Developed. Any Takers?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-09 11:52:00 »
Thoughts?

At a quick glance it seems like a half decent forum software, SMF or phpBB should be able to handle the entire task, unless you really, really want a fancy ass uploading tool. Forums usually have upload capability, and you could use threads for scenes. SMF certainly has more than adequate privilege system for what you need.

Not that the system you describe would be too difficult to implement, but it just kinda seems that you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Forums are very quick to set up, with a minimal effort.

Have you thought about who is going to pay for the hosting, or are you hoping that your webmaster would kindly donate webspace? :-D Free hosts are pretty much out of the question, out of the very few (I remember exactly one) which have support for both PHP and MySQL, none probably offer enough space for your recordings.

I have an IX Web Hosting Business Account, which means I can host 3 Domains. I just pay for my current Domain which is http://www.pt-on.com. And I'm already doing that.
« Last Edit: 2008-11-09 21:20:44 by Mesden »

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-11-09 21:03:38 »
All the forums I've helped set up have only cost about $10 for the domain per year, running PHP software on it and they've been much busier this will likely be so I don't see a problem there. A person could collect soda cans and set up a forum for a year.

The main issue is just getting someone who's willing to continually maintain the website should we choose to go for an actual website, which personally I don't see why we couldn't. Just my personal take on it.

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-11-09 21:22:14 »
I have an IX Web Hosting Business Account, which means I can host 3 Domains. I just pay for my current Domain which is http://www.pt-on.com. And I'm already doing that.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-11-10 13:54:28 »
I have a question regarding this.  Apart from the upload tool and its associated uploads rights settings, we pretty much have everything already mentioned right here.

Is there a reason we couldn't use this place for news, coordination, etc but simply have a separate page for uploads and the status graph ?

Gilgamesh

« Reply #5 on: 2008-11-18 13:01:48 »
I'd be more than happy to help out with this project. I've struggled to find a way I can help with gears however I believe I have the necessary skills to help with the creation/maintenance of the website.

I agree entirely with El Ammo, most forum software has the capabilities you've described. PHPbb is a highly customizable forum with most of the features you've stated. Any that aren't in there could be included on an external site that underpins the forum.

If we're adamant we must have a purpose built website, I can certainly help with this too.

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-01 05:22:54 »
I could chip in as well, but I would have to stay in an advisory only position.
I would second whoever recommended Simple Machines Forum, PHPBB gets hacked too much, and SMF's tinyBloc portal works very well. It could be adapted to suit your needs.
If you insist on a custom upload script, I know PHP and could probably integrate one with whatever you decide to set up.

I should note that I'm a programmer, and therefore I'm hopeless at visual design.

CyberPirate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-20 18:20:02 »
I could help, but is there any need for much of an graphical interface? I mean, this site is only going to have info about the project?

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-12-20 22:57:43 »
Alright Guys.

Forums are up. Those who have superior knowledge of Website Design and Programming, please contact me via E-mail. Even if I receive more than one Request, I might stick a couple Developers together. One person running it solo would seem a bit difficult. Anyways, if anyone is interested, remember, you would be doing it voluntarily, please E-mail [email protected].