Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI Sprite Mod  (Read 10326 times)

Ddeathscythe

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VI Sprite Mod
« on: 2017-10-24 17:12:20 »
Hi everyone, lately I have been working on a project involving creating new sprites for Final Fantasy VI's Steam version and I would like to share my progress.

The thought behind these sprites is to make a fusion of the Kazuko Shibuya chibi sprites and Amano's concept art. I believe that creating a different style will only add to the Steam version. Although the Steam version may not be the best form of FFVI to some people, I do think that moving forward with a project like this will allow more people to invest into fixing several of the issues that people have with the game. I would only hope that with this project, that the Steam version may eventually be the definite experience for a more remastered look for FFVI.

After some thought and consideration from fans of the game, some have stated that it would just be better to use the original sprites. Some like the chibi look of the Steam version, some hate it. Some like Amano's concept art, some hate it. With that being said, it is hard to gauge the interest in what direction I should be aiming for. So, I went forward with what I thought would work best or would be easy to animate. Or what I would personally play. I never played the original SNES version (I will) so I do not have much attachment for the old sprites but I DO understand why people like them and what kind of atmosphere they add to the game.

Without further ado, here is a work in progress of the project. Original Steam sprites at the top. The direction I want to go to at the bottom. And in the middle is variations. Characters are basically organized by character height (some exceptions). Concept designs of what I would like to move forward with:

Celes and Gogo will also be going through a visual update soon, they are both still in deep WIP.

PS. Let me know what you all think. Give me some ideas. Things to think about, possibly change, or improve upon. Currently these are standing sprites, my next goal is finalizing their concepts and working on battle sprites. After battle sprites will be back sprites. THEN left and right directions. This decision was based on my preference in what I would actually like to sprite.To be honest, I do see this project being completed, but I do think the final phases toward completion may be in two years or less.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-24 18:07:49 by Ddeathscythe »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI Sprite Mod
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-24 18:12:20 »
This is exactly how SE should have done this, not these 'morphing arms big heads with fat chest on two stumps' characters.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-24 19:12:11 »
The arms on all sets seem a bit unnatural. The Steam sprites look like they all have 10 kg weights strapped to their hands, but your redesign makes them hold their arms out a little too far.

Ddeathscythe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-24 20:10:14 »
The arms on all sets seem a bit unnatural. The Steam sprites look like they all have 10 kg weights strapped to their hands, but your redesign makes them hold their arms out a little too far.
Hmmm. Good point. I guess I will give it another look very soon. Do you have any examples or advice as to how you may imagine the hands to look like? I would not say that I am the best at spriting but I do want to make improvements wherever I can.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-25 19:29:47 »
I guess I see what looks strange. The shoulders are too low which results in having the arms also too low. From the frontal it's actually correct but the perspective is more from above which makes the neck mostly invisible. Here is an example of what I have in mind:

-->

Ddeathscythe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-10-25 21:39:48 »
I guess I see what looks strange. The shoulders are too low which results in having the arms also too low. From the frontal it's actually correct but the perspective is more from above which makes the neck mostly invisible. Here is an example of what I have in mind:

-->

Thanks for the example. I am in the process of taking fan feedback right now and making changes. But here is a small update to some character's hands and arms.

And I think as I get further along with the sprites, I will be able to go back and fix the sprites to make sure perspective and concept is consistent.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-25 21:53:41 by Ddeathscythe »