Author Topic: Completely Random Freezing  (Read 3941 times)

†Slash†

Completely Random Freezing
« on: 2008-01-06 10:20:44 »
Alright, so here's the deal. I had purchased Final Fantasy VII for the PC a few years back, just to see how it differentiates from the PSX version of the game. Now, back then I spent about an hour trying to get the game to run; couldn't do it, so I shelved it.

That is, until I stumbled upon this site about a week ago. I noticed all these cool mods and patches you guys here have made for it, so I couldn't resist trying this thing again (by the way, it's awesome that a game this old still has an active mod community; kudos to you guys).

Unfortunately, I ran into problems straight after installing the game, again. Naturally, I ran through every guide on the 'net I could get my hands on. I did all the usual:installed the 1.02 patch as well as the Chocobo patch, and tweaked some settings with RivaTuner. Now, with my game discs' health and vitality on the line, I faithfully executed "ff7.exe" one last time. Hallelujah. The game gets past the opening movie, and I can finally proceed to play the game.

Everything's just peachy for a while, as long as I ignore the hideous grid lines in favor of smooth models (I would use the Hi-Resolution patch, but sadly my widescreen monitor can only support resolutions up to 1280x768). I play through the game a bit, and then it dawns on me, "Hey, retard. You haven't even tried any of those awesome mods, yet!". So, accordingly, I went about downloading LGP tools and installing Scorpicus' Zack mod. After installing it, the game runs fine.

I uninstall the game, then reinstall and apply the same patches before trying out the NPC Reconstruction Pack. Now, here's where the sh*t hits the fan. I start playing, then the game freezes completely, only a few minutes into the intro-sequence. "Huh. Probably just a one-off thing", I thought. So, I boot the game up again. Freezes in a completely different area. Boot the game up again. Load a previous save from the Golden Saucer. Freezes randomly ensue there, as well. "Well," I thought, "Must be that damn NPC Reconstruction pack!". So, I do another fresh install. This time, I try Weeemus' character model. Same crashes in the exact same fashion.

So, I've come to this conclusion: I'm either using LGP tools completely wrong, or my game really doesn't like using nice and fancy models. Now, let me describe the way these lock-ups work:

• The freezes seemingly occur at complete random; often when I'm just roaming a field or in a conversation. Freezes are also frequent at the menu screen, in battle, and right after saving.
  • It seems as if only the video freezes. I can hear the game (music and effects) continue, but it's as if the screen is just frozen still.
  • I can even move and interact while the video is frozen. In fact, I've finished battles without knowing what the Hell I was doing just by repeatedly clicking. Same applies for all the other freezes. I can still walk around and use the menu, tho' I can't see what I'm doing.
  • So far, I've only had issues with the NPC-RP and Weeemus' character model. It worked fine with Scorpicus' Zack mod, but I didn't have to use LGP Tools on that one. I followed the tutorial shown here:  http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4451.0
I normally run in Hardware Acceleration Mode with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering, but I've also experienced the same problem in Software Mode.

Relevant machine details below:
  • Intel Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz
  • nVidia 7950 GX2 (tried several drivers, currently using 169.28)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • Windows XP Professional (32-Bit) Service Pack 2

As much as I hate for my first post to be a "help me plz post",...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-06 20:57:17 by †Slash† »

w33dEC

Re: Completely Random Freezing
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-06 11:32:28 »
Did you try to set the compatibility to Windows 98/ME? and also try using the Software Render a bit to see if there's a diference.

†Slash†

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-06 17:55:58 »
Yes, I've tried both. Software Render mode results in lower FPS and aliased models (but without grid lines),and when I set the compatibility mode to 98/ME, the game won't even start. The screen just flickers.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-06 18:23:03 »
Computer virus?

†Slash†

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-06 18:41:32 »
I don't see how a virus could cause the problems I'm having, but it certainly is a possibility.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-06 20:23:50 »
It's just a thought.  I haven't read anywhere on these forums with someone having similar problems to what you're experiencing.  Maybe also try upgrading your gfx card driver, or even downgrading it?

†Slash†

« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-06 20:56:00 »
Yeah, I've tried several drivers, tho' I should have stated that in the original post. I'm using an nVidia 7950GX2 with the latest drivers, at the moment.

I'll edit the first post to clarify.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-02-29 21:40:32 »
i am having same problems...i have a AMD athlon 64 3000+ 2.01 ghz 1 gig ram and a nvidea 6 series video card with updated drivers...and xp pro sp2

the mod that im having problems with is reconstruction pack as well...ive followed many guides to install it with the lgp tools...and all other mods ive tried work...but i am having the exact same problem...i hope somebody figures it out...ive been working on it for days....idk how many times ive reinstalled this game

CreeK

« Reply #8 on: 2008-03-04 06:35:14 »
I have the same problem too. I have Nvidia 6200, Pentium Dou Core 3.20Ghz, 1G ram.

I installed 1.02 patch, The saints High res,  Minigame´s Dziugo.