Author Topic: save file problem - yes i messed something up  (Read 5764 times)

OuterSpaceMateria

save file problem - yes i messed something up
« on: 2009-06-21 21:36:10 »
i did some copy and pasting between 2 different safe files and i seem to have over ridden something i shouldn't have, now i'm facing 2 problems i can't seem to fix.  i been digging through q-gear's pdf and that savemap page on wiki for some time now and can't really find anything on the subject, so maybe someone here has some insight.

1. ruby weapon does not spawn.  the game is at the point where the next even in the plot is defeating sephiroth and ultimate weapon is dead.  emerald weapon is still alive but i remember ruby weapon sitting in the sand before i killed emerald weapon the last time i played the game through.  if that's not the case let me know, otherwise hopefully someone knows what in the save file dictates this.

2. from what i understand the golden saucer battle square is suppose to offer "special battles" or w/e after purchasing both omnislash and w-summon.  i have obtained both of those items but the game is not giving me the option.  if anyone can hook me up with a save file from before winning these items, i can probably play it through, check the changes, and figure it out myself, but all i can find on the internet are files with everything already done.

anyways thanks for any help, or just reading through :-D

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: save file problem - yes i messed something up
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-22 02:48:05 »
The ruby weapon problem happened on my psx years ago.  If I remember right, I had to fight some random battles away from the desert.  But honestly, I don't really remember too clearly.  Also, I thought the special battles appeared after reaching a certain point in game?

It really has been a while

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-22 06:28:53 »
Well, the W-Summon materia becomes available for purchase with BP at Battle Square at a certain point in the game, and it needs to be acquired along with Omnislash in order to unlock the special battles thing.

Reaper24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-22 07:16:17 »
There are a few things that could be causing your first problem. First, did you actually defeat Ultimate WEAPON? Did he drop Cloud's Ultima Weapon? Because you need to fight that bastard multiple times before he's dead.

Second, just keep fighting battles and entering/exiting towns and he should eventually appear. I've heard that entering/exiting the Ancient Forest in particular should make him appear.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-22 07:26:42 »
If you follow that advice and Ruby still doesn't appear, then I would imagine that your messed-up save files think that Ruby is already dead.

OuterSpaceMateria

« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-22 11:46:50 »
Quote from: Shadowseer
Well, the W-Summon materia becomes available for purchase with BP at Battle Square at a certain point in the game, and it needs to be acquired along with Omnislash in order to unlock the special battles thing.
I have already aquired both of them.

Quote from: Reaper24
First, did you actually defeat Ultimate WEAPON? Did he drop Cloud's Ultima Weapon?
Yes I have Cloud's sword and there's a crater next to Cosmo Canyon.

Quote from: Reaper24
Second, just keep fighting battles and entering/exiting towns and he should eventually appear. I've heard that entering/exiting the Ancient Forest in particular should make him appear.
I actually have not heard about that, will try it.

Quote from: Shadowseer
I would imagine that your messed-up save files think that Ruby is already dead.
Yeah I was hoping someone would know where in the savefile controls Ruby progress.  Either way I found a file with Ruby still alive so I'll kill it later and try to figure out what changed.  I'm still completely stuck on the battle square problem though.

Anyways thanks for reading and replying.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-22 13:58:51 »
No worries.  Anything to help a FF7 player out :-)  I often fail in my attempts to do that though :-(

OuterSpaceMateria

« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-23 20:23:34 »
Well it seems Ruby Weapon spawned itself for me.  It wasn't there the day before.  I slept, went to work, came back, ran the game, and there it was.  I have no clue how this happened.

Anyways after killing the randomly spawning bastard, I looked around the savefile a bit and here's what I've found for those who cares.

On offset 0x0C1F (not including header data)
Before Ruby's Death: 05h
After Ruby's Death: 0Dh

Changing the bit back to 05h makes Ruby weapon alive again.  However instead of hiding under the sand, it is now standing on top of the sand. (and waving its arms at absolutely nothing and hopefully scaring the hell out of everyone in the golden saucer =D)

Code: [Select]
*edit:
05h: both emerald and ruby are alive
0Dh: ruby is dead, emerald is alive
1Dh: both emerald and ruby are dead

my guess is:
number & 8t = ruby's death
number & 16t = emerald's death
and ultimate weapon's status is probably either &1 or &4

Here's a list of other things that changed:

Code: [Select]
Offset  Before                       After
0xEA6   03 60 01                     80 23 02
0xF2B   11                           31
0xF58   7C                           61
0xF84   xx xx E9 xx xx xx xx xx     C2 CC E9 A2 21 67 F6 F8
0xFA3   xx                           65

xx = this value changes just from re-saving.  Re-saving being loading the file and saving it in a different file without doing anything ingame.
If a value changed from re-saving both before and after Ruby's death, I did not record it.  There was quite a few of those.
Also I noticed that 0x0F84 is where the coordinates of Ultimate Weapon is supose to be.  I haven't tried decoding the coordinates and don't know why it's changing or if the changes are significant in any way.

On the other hand, I'm still dead stuck on the Battle Square problem.  Help please?
« Last Edit: 2009-06-23 22:56:19 by OuterSpaceMateria »

Reaper24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-23 23:20:00 »
Did you LEARN Omnislash? It's not enough to purchase it.

To learn Omnislash, you first need to learn all the other Limit Breaks of that character. Keep that in mind.

Everything you need to get in order to unlock the special battles:
1) Ultima Weapon (not necessarily equipped, just obtained)
2) W-Summon Materia (again, not necessarily equipped)
3) Omnislash purchased AND learned (on a side note, you NEED to use the Omnislash item that you get. If you learn Omnislash through other means such as hacking or glitching, you won't be able to fight in the special battles even if you purchased Omnislash, because it becomes unusable. Basically, your save file is ****ed for life if this happens to you)

OuterSpaceMateria

« Reply #9 on: 2009-06-29 16:25:01 »
on a side note, you NEED to use the Omnislash item that you get.
Haha seems like that was it.  I already had Omnislash so I didn't use the item.  Using the item unlocked the special battles.  I couldn't find anything in the save file that was changed by using the Omnislash item beside the item going away and Cloud gaining the ability though.  I guess the game just checks if the item is still in the inventory.

Anyways thanks, all my problems seem solved for now. :-D

Reaper24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-01 15:00:10 »
You could use it although you already had Omnislash? I could swear I've tried it before and it wasn't possible (though that was on the PSX version).

OuterSpaceMateria

« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-02 17:25:00 »
You could use it although you already had Omnislash? I could swear I've tried it before and it wasn't possible (though that was on the PSX version).
i can get rid of omnislash and then use it.  getting rid of omnislash can be done either by using an editor or by changing the values directly.