Author Topic: Reno at Gongaga tangled in a ball  (Read 4468 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Reno at Gongaga tangled in a ball
« on: 2013-07-14 19:51:56 »
I'm not positive on which field model and animation is playing, but when Reno and Rude are at Gongaga talking about who they like and wait to ambush cloud, Reno looks like he's tangled in a ball or something. I think it's a bad animation file, but I have no idea which one. Supposedly it's pretty simple to find out which one it is with Makou Reactor but I cant get it to work. It'll open and even sees my kernel and char file, but it cant actually load anything. Anyone have an idea what animation file is playing?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: Reno at Gongaga tangled in a ball
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-14 20:23:22 »
I'm not positive on which field model and animation is playing, but when Reno and Rude are at Gongaga talking about who they like and wait to ambush cloud, Reno looks like he's tangled in a ball or something. I think it's a bad animation file, but I have no idea which one. Supposedly it's pretty simple to find out which one it is with Makou Reactor but I cant get it to work. It'll open and even sees my kernel and char file, but it cant actually load anything. Anyone have an idea what animation file is playing?
Oh, I thought you got that issue solved. You are using the open file and pointing it to flevel.lgp? If that's insulting to suggest, sorry lol. We can go from there. Then you can maybe teach me how to fix field animations. lol  :roll:

It has a tools menu and field models from there will show you the animation files for each dude, as to which is which, no idea. Sometimes Makou Reactor will show them to you but often not. You'll figure it out quicker than I could.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-14 20:30:50 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-14 20:27:49 »
Is that what it needs to be looking for? I figured it was the char.lgp file for the models and animation files. Fixing Makou Reactor would be nice, but I mostly need it just to find the bad animation file for Reno.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-14 22:23:51 »
Just had a look at Reno's files for the Gongaga scene, here's what he uses:

Skeleton/.hrc file: DHAF (this one has no eye/mouth textures and seems to have been designed to use Cloud's animations; probably because Reno didn't have enough animations of his own for this particular scene).

Animation Files (in order)
ACFE: Standing/Idle
AAFF: Walking
AAGA: Running
AAFE: Standing/Idle
BZCE: Shrug
AVJE: Taken Aback
AJEB: Head scratch
AQBF: Turn Right
APEE: Raises Fist

Seeing as a lot of these animations are shared by Cloud and a lot of NPCs it's probably either the DHAF skeleton that's busted or the flevel is looking for the wrong animation files. Now, I tried giving Reno his usual standing/idle animation (AOJD) and it resulted in him getting tangled into a ball so his usual skeleton (AODD) and animations are incompatible with DHAF and most 'default' animations that Cloud and other NPCs use. So either DHAF.hrc has gotten mixed up with AODD.hrc somehow or it's the animation names that are wrong (it should be looking for the animation files listed above).

Now about Makou, have you tried moving the flevel to the Desktop and opening it up from there? Makou is a bit strange in that it can read an flevel that isn't in the FF7 data folder but it'll go to the FF7 data folder to get all the other information that it uses (for instance, it'll read the char.lgp that's in the FF7 data folder regardless). If you can get it to work, then check the Gongaga scene (gonjun2 - 515) and hit Ctrl+M; this'll show the models and animations used in that scene. If DHAF is missing or if the animation files used aren't the same as above then that's the source of the problem (rename them by doubleclicking, then just type in the correct name). If they are the same, but showing as a jumbled mess anyways, then there's something wrong in the char.lgp with these files.

If Makou still isn't working for you though then I could maybe make a quick patch for your flevel, see if that fixes it. Problem there is you'll lose any changes you've made to the flevel already (like dialogue, maps, scripts, etc.)

On an unrelated note, that is a damn fine profile picture, cmh175.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-15 17:48:42 »
Great thanks a lot Sega Chief. I actually added the animation pack Bloodshot did since then so that may have cleared everything up, but at least now I know what to look for if it's still a problem.

I didn't realize I needed to load the flevel file as well, so that's probably why makou reactor hasn't worked. I've had trouble finding directions for it. I'll play with it some later and see if I can get it working now.

Thanks, yeah nothing beats the non-pc cartoons from the 90's. Found this recently:

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-15 18:43:45 »
No prob. I'd almost forgotten about Rocko's Modern Life; that really takes me back.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-19 02:58:07 »
I'm getting errors that Renos skeleton has too many bones for the listed animations, which explains why he's mashed into a ball. That also doesn't make since though if he's supposed to use them, I even tested this using the original vanilla model and animation file. However when I tried the vanilla model and the one from the unshaded pack it seems to work fine, almost like it's the particular model I'm trying to use. I tried rebuilding it onto the vanilla skeleton but it still had the same problem. This is odd, not sure on the next troubleshooting step.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-19 04:51:46 by cmh175 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-19 07:24:37 »
General Ironside
I've got a pretty simple solution for this problem; all you need to do is save MMMO.HRC (it still has the ponytail, right?) over the existing AODD.HRC, and all of his animations will be fixed. Note that DHAF.HRC must not have the ponytail bone, because that would break his animations in the Gongaga Jungle event.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-19 12:46:29 »
Thanks Kaldarasha I see the problem now. For some reason the dhaf.hrc has the pony tail bone, so it was made using the regular models skeleton, or I screwed it up at some point lol. Yeah the original model didn't even have eyes!