Author Topic: UV (texture) map for FFX-2 Chararacters?  (Read 7879 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
UV (texture) map for FFX-2 Chararacters?
« on: 2007-06-11 02:20:59 »
Hi guys....

I need to see what the texture map of your typical FFX character looks like. In a perfect world, a "bare skin" of one of the FFX-2 girls would be nice. I'm mot talking about the models themselves, but just the texture that wraps around them. I'm trying to figure out how to texture a 3D body and need a guide to go by. Any help would be ... helpful... Thanks.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
Re: UV (texture) map for FFX-2 Chararacters?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-06-11 04:12:50 »
Well there are bareskin ones from FF-X2 from when they interchange there costumes, no real nudity its like skin without genitals lmao. It even has riku's tan lines :lol:.
Grab Yaz0r's model viewer and 3d ripper DX and you can rip the models and UV maps for the models, most models have 3 or 4 UV maps for some reason. Probably something to do with lighting my guess.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2007-06-11 04:58:23 »
The problem being several-fold..

1) I own no DVD Rom.
2) I'm not really interested in the models, but how the textures are shaded. I'm trying to figure out if they are a combo of vertex shading, or if the UV maps are "all in one" I'm having a very hard time trying to find tutorials on how to properly shade a 3d model in that particular style. The texture mapping in Japanese RPGs are wholly unique, so even just a screenshot of a low resolution UV map with with word "SAMPLE" through it would be fine. I'm not trying to rip them, I'm trying to learn from them.

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-06-11 18:11:08 »
Here is Yuna's texture and this one has the UV coords overlayed.

I would guess that the textures are "all in one" and there is no vertex shader used but I don't know. Hope that helps.

ssj4maiko

« Reply #4 on: 2007-06-22 17:27:28 »
megas.4shared.com

I uploaded the models, you just need to convert them, so it'll give the texture and .obj file model. It has everyone from X, and dresspheres from X-2

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2007-06-25 05:51:04 »
I got the program to work with my copy of X-2 and a creative double-mount, so I don't need them....

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-02 00:05:12 »
The problem being several-fold..

1) I own no DVD Rom.
2) I'm not really interested in the models, but how the textures are shaded. I'm trying to figure out if they are a combo of vertex shading, or if the UV maps are "all in one" I'm having a very hard time trying to find tutorials on how to properly shade a 3d model in that particular style. The texture mapping in Japanese RPGs are wholly unique, so even just a screenshot of a low resolution UV map with with word "SAMPLE" through it would be fine. I'm not trying to rip them, I'm trying to learn from them.

to answer question number 2. they use a form of baking, and then go to work on them using photoshop. a lot of artists are capable of painting this way without baking, it's just that baking is faster if you're trying to get the whole model (what's a texture without a model to put it on?) to look coherant, with the same lightsource all around.

one of the better baking tutorials i found was at www.bobotheseal.com . bobo does an awful lot of hand painted, pixel level art. and is truly a master of what he does.
i don't understand what you mean about the texture mapping in japanese RPGs being wholly unique though... if you're referring to the UVW map itself, then no, not really. like most professional studios, squeenix are very good at utilising their texture space properly, to get the most efficient maps out of their models, which of course, gives better texture results. it's the style itself which is quite unique, as it tends to have an anime feel while still looking fairly realistic. if you're looking to emulate that particular style, could i suggest browsing some DBZ forums and things like that with reference in particular to games. half life has a mod called ESF which has a very similar painting style to its models, and a lot of the fan work there is quite close. there is one artist there called Enix, who loves to whore that particular style. along with PiXel.

good luck, if you have any specific questions, or have any textures of your own which you would like some critique or a paintover or something, give me a shout. if i have time i'll help all i can.