Author Topic: [SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!  (Read 105693 times)

epsilon

• View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!
« Reply #125 on: 2020-04-12 12:14:50 »
Part of the problem here is that people are talking at cross purposes, since they come with different assumptions to the discussion. If you view a game as mere entertainment and you just want to have a fun time in the X amount of hours you spend on it, then some of the criticisms expounded will mean nothing to you; on the other hand if you want something more out of the experience, a simple thing like a crappy plot device will probably tarnish it. If you think there is no fact of the matter about the quality of a game, that all opinions are equally valid and there is no real knowledge to be had, then a criticism, any criticism, may start to sound like "invalidating your experience" (to paraphrase someone on the thread); on the other hand, if you do think there are objective standards through which the quality of a game is to be measured, then the first questions you ought to be answering are what are those standards and how are they to be gauged. If you think fidelity to the original story, maybe even the mechanics (turn based with ATB is very different from action RPG), is an important factor since after all the game does bear FFVII in the title, then the deviations will matter; if you are not that concerned with fidelity, a paltry resemblance to the original will suffice and any deviations will probably be a welcomed novelty.

In the original game, Jessie is a minor character with very few lines. Her last lines are spoken on the stairs to the plate, and are a recognition of the stark effects of her actions and an acceptance of her fate. Through acceptance, she gains dignity, atones and redeems herself, and in redeeming herself she redeems all mankind. This is all done in a few lines of text. Is this Shakespeare? No, not really, but shows solid craftsmanship, an awareness of tragedy and real human sympathy by giving what is a minor character a moment to shine.

It seems in the remake they give Jessie much more airtime, even some flirting with Cloud (from a love-triangle to a love-square?). Avalanche's actions are not really terrorism because it is Shinra that eventually destroys the reactors and causes all the death and mayhem. It seems Jessie will not die, so she will not have a tragic end but neither will she have her redemption. Is this in any way better? Does it flesh out a real character, or is it just padding the game with cutscenes and dialogue? Does it even matter? It depends on how you answer the previous questions -- which themselves are subject to rational discussion, I should add. With the caveat that I have seen very little footage, it seems to me there is a real loss here in story quality, in tragic pathos. But then I am not going to buy the game anyway -- not because of any ill will towards it, but because I only have a PC and with not a powerful enough graphics card, and I have better things to do anyway.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2020-04-12 13:27:49 »
DLPB we get it you don't like the remake, you didn't like it when it was announced nothing has changed now it's released, most of your dislikes are subjective and that's ok but spewing vitriol isn't exactly useful or required, I will also add that reviews are also subjective and the majority of games journalists struggle to actually play games, but the average user review is still quite high reason being the game looks pretty,plays amazing and sounds amazing, with the low points being the voice acting and for some the story adjustments not all, I see it settling around 7-8 out of 10 amongst average Joe's, die hards have their opinions which fall in the love or hate almost exclusively over story

The black caped man, I can with 100% certainty say you have the entire wrong idea of how the battle system works, I've yet to see an adequate explanation of the battle system anywhere online, it is most definitely ATB based with action flair, it is effectively ff7 with positioning as a bonus layer of strategy required to master, it is in no way similar to ff15 or kingdom hearts, reactor 1 only just gives you a taste and that's only on the guard sentinel itself.

Also boss battles are only long if your aren't any good at the game or you approach the boss in the wrong way...assess is your friend., Once you git gud if your taking longer then 5minn on a boss you've hit it unprepared.

Only mechanical gripes I have are how long it takes to master revive material and the previously stated weapon upgrading

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2020-04-12 13:34:23 »
So first you say only respect your own opinion and then you go on shitting on everybody who hates this game calling them 12 year olds? ::)
Actually, your reading comprehension has failed you. I'm not "shitting on everybody who hates this game," I'm "shitting" on people like you specifically whose opinions are based solely on watching a handful of minutes worth of footage and are now on a warpath, all while believing they're voicing an objective truth and that they should be taken seriously in the slightest. THAT is what makes you come off as children. I assume all of us with older accounts are in our 30s at this point, which makes this type of behavior even harder to believe. This is what I expect to see on the first page of /v/, not an old school FF community where I assume most have an IQ that exceeds two digits.

Why would we have to spend tons of money for smth we know we don't like? And as far as I remember none of us tried to even expertly criticize detailed things we would only know after playing the game. We criticize first and foremost that its not a Remake, its a strawberries on the originals story and every major plot event and that is fact, or would you argue one has to play it to know that when its all right there in the cutscenes? Certainly not. And that is not what we expected or wanted. So why on earth is criticism not justified in that regard?
You've described the game as a dull action game that's just flashy and devoid of depth multiple times now, so your expert opinion has gone beyond just criticizing the story changes, which you've also not done your research on as displayed multiple times in this thread. You've concluded that the script  itself (dialog, character interactions) and the character development is bad which you would have absolutely no knowledge of from watching a handful of cut cenes out of context from the tail end of a 40 hour game. Do you see why I think you're being silly and why anyone with a functional brain can't take this seriously?

Also it is well known that the combat system is action based, not ATB like in the original. This is known for years now. If ppl (like us) don't like these things in general or at least not in a Final Fantasy, considering this was not like this in the original, then again criticism is justified.
Just because something isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it objectively bad like you're claiming. There's good action-based combat and there's bad action-based combat. The combat in 7R is far from bad, despite the criticism I wrote in a previous post. It's certainly more in-depth than the original, as any action-based game inherently is by requiring at least a slight degree of skill and interaction to succeed. The original game certainly doesn't have any gameplay depth (it's flashy and fast-paced, but shallow and fun), so I'm not sure why you're even voicing this (baseless) complaint.

Mad that it's not turn-based despite never being promoted as such? That's fine, but if you want to criticize its various systems and mechanics you should do so from experience, not assumptions.

Btw with about the same validity could we say that the ppl spending 60+ bucks on this game and like that strawberries are 12 year olds, not grown men who expect a game to have actual thought through design, balance, story-telling, character development, etc.
See, there you go again making assumptions beyond your reach. If anything, this paragraph reinforces my original point. I also don't follow your reasoning in the slightest, and this makes the below quote even more ridiculous on your part.

That you like this game is good for you but stop acting so high and mighty and condescending towards ppl that don't. Their opinion is just as valid as yours and is not based on things they do not know as all aspects that were criticized are directly there in the game, not made up or exaggerated. There is time travel, there is characters that don't die but should have, there is matrix like drama scenes that are just over the top you can watch them on youtube, there is major flaws in that new story that just doesn't make any kind of sense with the original. It's all there and wasn't made up by us. It was made up by Nomura.
Yes, I'm the one being "high and mighty and condescending towards others", not the guy who's generalized every single person who doesn't share his opinion that 7R is a bad game. What was it you said, that we're all from that "Game of Thrones generation" and just swallow anything that's flashy and lacking in depth? Next-level self-awareness you have there.

"Their" opinions are not as valid as mine, because I've actually played the game to completion and can speak in-depth about every aspect of it. The last hour of the game is a mixed bag, but it doesn't invalidate everything that came before it. It's about the journey, not the destination, and the journey was highly enjoyable for reasons you and your kind have already written off as OBJECTIVELY BAD.

If any, this is the forum of highest quality reviews and opinions of Final Fantasy games and RPGs in general. These are ppl that spent their life modding these games, playing them hundreds of times over and over again, discovering new stuff, and just thinking about these games and its characters, their reason to be and say smth, their behaviour in certain occasions more than anybody else in the world. And certainly more than the devs.
What you're referring to is an echo chamber, and I'm sure most wouldn't appreciate being generalized or spoken for. What you're really saying is that certain people here are stuck in the past and hostile toward change. That doesn't sound like someone whose opinions you should value above more reasonable and level-headed individuals. As far as I can tell, there are multiple reasonable users here who are capable of thinking for themselves without clinging to one extreme or the other mindlessly. Are these people not part of this holy community of knowledgeable FF fans?

Todays game design consists mostly of graphics and I can tell you because this eats most of the programming work as it is BY FAR the most complex and tedious part when programming a game(as smbd with a degree in just that department of computer science you can take my word). The maths and work behind Ray tracing, multiple reflections, real time animations is OUTRAGEOUS. That's why the companies need most and their best ppl to work on that. And then it's natural that there is just not much personel left for actual story-writing and thinking these things through. Also at some point when you spent months/years until the animations look so real HD like in FF7R then your investors wanna see results and finally publish smth and make money. And what can you impress them most with at a press conference? Right, it's GRAPHICS because that's what every fat business idiot can see and judge wether it's good or not. That's what makes money and keeps companies alive. Sadly. This explains the strictly monotonous downward curve of stories and the strictly monotonous upward curve of graphics in games in the last 20 years. Ppl growing up with that or the ones that just weren't touched so emotionally by the RPGs of the 90s and early 2000s might not care and get used to the new era of gaming but others, like many in here, cannot.
Wow, it's almost like there are dedicated and specialized staff members who handle different aspects of development or something. You're also generalizing again, or under the impression that AAA development is all there is to the medium, or that every case is the same. Either way, it has nothing to do with the quality of writing unless you're implying that the programmers, animators, 3D artists and various game designers are too busy with their jobs to help write the script, which is pants-on-head retarded.
And if after all these years a company promises an HD remake of the most iconic game in video game history that has touched us more than any other game, and the outcome is tons of stuff completely made up, probably made up on the spot because it just looks cool in a scene, altered story scripts and what not then yes, then we do not like this game and want to talk to others about this that feel the same. That is why we post here and we're entitled to. If you think the majority here are 12 year olds that just hate because they like hating...then why would you wanna post here? You don't seem attached to the forum in any way so why care? It seemed to be so important to just insult a lot of ppl here that you needed to do it......Do you see any of us going to forums/reviews of ppl where the majority likes the game and shitting on it? I for myself do not do that.
They did call it a remake, and it is very faithful (character development, chain of events, locations, enemy design, overall aesthetic and on) up until the end of the game, but I called it deceptive marketing in my very first post. Either way, games - even remakes - should be judged on their own merits, and saying that FF7R is objectively bad in any regard is insincere and obviously fueled by an agenda, especially when coming from holier-than-thou observers.

You're generalizing again, by the way. This "us" you keep speaking about doesn't seem to include an awful lot of people based on this thread. My Qhimm account is 14 years old, by the way. Are you implying that I'm only here to insult someone?
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 13:38:25 by Az »

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2020-04-12 14:34:26 »
I could... respond in detail to this absolutely ridiculous post again but why would I....it all started with this "Ric" flaming Kefka who pointed out an obvious RIDICULOUS plot twist that not even a 10 year old would write. And when ppl come around so condescending and insulting it is natural to receive that back in their face.

My post is understood by those who do and not by those who don't. Period. No further point in argueing with ppl that just cannot face reality.

Btw your post again is full of personal insults while mine was written with a "one could argue" style of writing that doesn't head on attack ppl.

your reading comprehension has failed you

you're being silly

pants-on-head retarded.

Are you implying that I'm only here to insult someone?

So yes, you are solely flaming and insulting right now, that is also a fact. Now stfu pls.

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2020-04-12 14:35:37 »
It's not faithful at all.  Please stop pretending that these fate creatures were in the original - or that major story points haven't been changed well before the end of Part 1.  They have.  Again - that is a fact.  It isn't faithful on any measurable scale.  Not the battle system, not the art, not the style, not the script, not the story.

And the end of part 1 departing so massively is the end of any and all arguments.  No fan wanted what they've done.  No fan asked for it.  And certainly no-one expected what they've done. It's not a remake - it's been falsely advertised and it's actually probably illegal what Square-Enix have done.
Please stop pretending that you read a single thing I said and that you didn't just get triggered by that keyword before continuing to spew your usual drivel in typical toxic DLPB manner. That post refers to you just as much as the other guy.  Like I said, up until the ending, the events can be summarized in exactly the same way as the original game.
Spoiler: show
Padding aside, Wedge surviving and the brief appearances of these arbiters that only tie in to the end of the game are the only major differences. I assume the other MAJOR plot point you're talking about is how Shinra allows Avalanche to blow up their reactors, while magnifying the blast in one case. The overall motive is still the same. Midgar is unsustainable. The new angle is that Shinra wants to go to war with Wutai again, and to this end, they use Avalanche and their actions as propaganda by saying they're funded by Wutai. Avalanche still has the same intent.

I also disagree about the art direction, especially as it pertains to enemy design. The slums are pretty boring to look at during daytime, but the city itself is very faithful to the original. The main cast is also very well realized and fleshed out in a faithful manner. I know you had an aneurysm about Aerith's dress being 5 centimeters too short, but that character is still very much the same innocent and playful girl found in the original.

Also, regarding your last post. This type of user reaction is very, very common on Metacritic. In many cases, review bombing gets out of hand and has to be manually reverted. Likewise, being a AAA game isn't enough to get high scores anymore and this viewpoint shows that you're out of touch. Only first-party Nintendo games remain suspect, and the Nintendo bonus has become a meme. We're living in a world where games like Sekiro win GOTY awards and are somehow mainstream despite catering solely to the hardcore. The vast majority of AAA games land in the 80 - 85 range. It was the case for both FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 as well, with equally big budgets and marketing campaigns and both of which were anticipated for over 10 years. It's nothing new and certainly not an exception in 7Rs case.

I could... respond in detail to this absolutely ridiculous post again but why would I....it all started with this "Ric" flaming Kefka who pointed out an obvious RIDICULOUS plot twist that not even a 10 year old would write. And when ppl come around so condescending and insulting it is natural to receive that back in their face.

My post is understood by those who do and not by those who don't. Period. No further point in argueing with ppl that just cannot face reality.

Btw your post again is full of personal insults while mine was written with a "one could argue" style of writing that doesn't head on attack ppl.

So yes, you are solely flaming and insulting right now, that is also a fact. Now stfu pls.
Yeah, no, that's not how an argument works. Your points aren't hard to understand, just incredibly silly and clearly driven by an agenda and inherent bias. Instead of "responding in detail," you chose to take "insults" out of context and proceeded to tell me to "stfu."
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 14:53:06 by Az »

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2020-04-12 14:41:31 »
@DLPB Your ATB gauge still fills, it only fills faster if you get hits.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2020-04-12 14:57:07 »
Yes cuz unlike you I dont feel the need of forcing my opinion on others while insulting them(good strategy btw)

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2020-04-12 14:57:36 »
Yes cuz unlike you I dont feel the need of forcing my opinion on others while insulting them(good strategy btw)
Don't you find that incredibly ironic?

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2020-04-12 15:03:22 »
No because I never said "hey user xyz your are silly cuz things are like this and that weh weh weh". I merely stated my opinion about the stupidity of ideas implemented in a game. The thing about jerking off to GoT was a respond to insults from Ric before that. So no, I feel completely calm and righteous:)

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2020-04-12 15:12:36 »
People are allowed to like what they want. People are allowed to dislike what they want. No one is wrong. Even if you disagree with each other's preferences. It is ALL subjective.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2020-04-12 15:14:15 »
Absolutely agree.

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2020-04-12 15:34:17 »
Combat System is a mess. I mean how could anyone think that combat system makes sense? If you don't hit, you don't get ATB, so if enemy is out of range you basically can't do anything, no use items no use of magics. Lot of damages taken without even noticing, ATB ruined if you get hit while doing an ability.

Is that true?  Yes. Or No.  Because if Yes - that's another reason why someone like me would not like this game.  Yes.  or No.
Your ATB gauge charges constantly and is sped up by attacking. You also have various materia to help speed up ATB, and spells like Haste greatly improve the charge rate. Distance management isn't an issue in the game with a few exceptions. Each melee character has a basic attack that closes the distance when you're far away, and targeting flying enemies changes your standard attacks into an aerial combo. There are a few cases of enemies flying out of bounds, like high up in the Sector 7 Ruins and only Barret and Aerith can hit them with regular attacks while the rest have to use magic or items.

Your limit breaks, for some idiotic reason, can be interrupted because they have a long windup time and there's not much you can do about it unless you wait until you've staggered the enemy to use them. This also applies to the -Ga spells and requires positioning if you're expecting an interrupting attack. There's also a Classic Mode included that essentially does all the basic attacking automatically while you only select the ATB actions. This also greatly reduces the HP the enemy has. It may increase the ATB charge rate as well, but I wouldn't know.
People are allowed to like what they want. People are allowed to dislike what they want. No one is wrong. Even if you disagree with each other's preferences. It is ALL subjective.
100%. I'm not saying it's not allowed to dislike the game, I'm saying it's incredibly stupid to formulate an opinion if your sole experience with it is watching a few minutes of footage somewhere, especially drawing conclusions like the entire script being "objectively bad." That's just agenda driven nonsense, not an opinion to be taken seriously. Even how one perceives the events at the end of the game is subjective. Was it what I wanted? No, I wanted things to play out differently, but they could've gone in a different direction. Either way, I'll play the next part because I overall enjoyed the gameplay and character interactions.

It's really not all subjective.  Liking and disliking is.  Flaws with this remake are not.
Only the naming convention is a flaw since it's clearly not a remake. The changes are subjective, not objective flaws, and if you think they are, that's an opinion.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2020-04-12 15:42:06 »
I think the only thing any of us can say with objectiveness is that this remake doesn't follow the original 100%. And whether that's correct or wrong is completely subjective. The combat system is amazing to some and garbage to others. All of it is preference when it comes to art, and video games are art. While yes, there are objective metrics created to measure these things with, especially when it comes to literature and creative writing, but even those metrics are based on how someone feels.

I agree with some of your points about the remake DLPB, but I don't think you can exercise opinions as 100% objective.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2020-04-12 15:46:18 »
Distance management isn't an issue in the game with a few exceptions. Each melee character has a basic attack that closes the distance when you're far away, and targeting flying enemies changes your standard attacks into an aerial combo

For example just a thing like this(automatic z-targeting and gap closing auto attacks) are things that I do not find attractive in a game (its like being held by the hand and extremely limits the freedom too much for my taste), therefore am I entitled now to dislike the combat system in general and not just because its a change on the original? It being a change to the original is already enough for me to not buy the game because I know it's just not smth I seek in a Final Fantasy.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 15:48:58 by The Black-caped Man »

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2020-04-12 16:04:08 »
This subjective excuse creeps into every single debate and every time I call nonsense on it because it is.

What is even more bizarre is that no one even bothers to argue the position, they just state it. But absent an argument why should anyone accept it? And if one would try to assay an argument, that would be implicit acknowledgment that the matter can be adjudicated rationally, which is precisely what the position denies. It is likewise subjective, nothing but emoting, so it cannot be expressing a judgment, much less a true one.

My suspicion is that no one really believes this. They retreat into extreme relativism because neither do they like to see their opinions challenged -- and having poor taste, or being ignorant of great art, is not an indictment on the person's character', just like being ignorant of mathematics is not -- nor can they rationally articulate and defend them. But of course there are objective standards by which we measure the quality of any art piece, and therefore there is real knowledge to be had. Not of course, knowledge in the sense of the modern empirical sciences, and not at their level of rigor and precision, but still knowledge.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2020-04-12 16:11:01 »
I understand what you're saying DLPB. And that's not what I am trying to get across fully.

Your example of Cloud turning into a beatle is quite surreal, I get your point. I agree there are objective metrics to measure the quality of a story. I studied that very thing in University.

Nomura is not to my taste. I don't think he's a good director or storyteller. And I personally find some of what he did in the remake disgusting to my taste. I agree the sidequests are boring padding. I agree that negatively affects the pacing. People are still allowed to love it. And I think they should be allowed to love it without disrespect. There are ways to state your opinions without alienating people.

It's as you said liking and disliking are subjective. However, the way you go about posting your viewpoints is done in a way that doesn't leave room for anyone elses'. That's what I take issue with. I think people's viewpoints on something that is ultimately a work of art should be respected. Even if you disagree. I respect your views, and even agree with some of them DLPB.

Opinions are indeed weighted, and people's observal realities will differ from person to person. Some of the plot points added might hit home with someone more than if they've lived a similar experience. Especially with some of the added Avalanche stuff.

The ending is a bit difficult for me to defend, but after having seen it... It is way more vague than some posts would lead you to believe. Zack being alive isn't made 100% clear. It could just as easily be interpretted as Aeris/Aerith having a vision from the lifestream.

It being lowbrow doesn't make it objectively bad.

No not all opinions are equal. However, respect of other's opinions should be. Especially in a communal space. And this applies to many people in this thread, not just you DLPB. So please don't think I am antagonizing you. I actually quite enjoy your posts, when you're being civil. Some people poke you, and I don't agree with that either.

I hope my points are a little more clear now.

Edit: apologies for the woeful grammar. It's 2AM here, my ability to English properly has diminished.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 16:16:01 by Mendelevium »

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2020-04-12 16:20:07 »
I honestly think the good stuff in the remake is in spite of Nomura not because of him. As creative lead, this is his baby. He okay'd everything. I'm confused by some of the choices made, but as someone who isn't going to be playing the remake it doesn't affect me personally. I very much think people are on a nostalgia high for the most part, and we'll have a situation where it will dawn on people the gravity of the changes made. It could easily go either way in terms of public consensus. Personally, I am not a fan. I can also see why people would find it compelling, because it changes up what they know. Personally, I think Nomura just wanted to put his personal stamp on everything - without much respect to what was already there. That is my opinion though. It is not the end all be all.

Also apologies for repeated words and grammar mistakes, my brain is tired. Haha
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 16:22:31 by Mendelevium »

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2020-04-12 16:24:48 »
It's not an opinion to state there is bad storytelling, bad voice acting, bad pacing, and crappy fetch quests.  These can and are being demonstrated.  This subjective excuse creeps into every single debate and every time I call nonsense on it because it is.  If Cloud turned into an alien dung beetle and entered Sephiroth's brain through his ear and then proceeded to control Sephiroth from that point on - it's objectively poor storytelling.   It doesn't matter what word you give to it or this remake - it's lowbrow crap.   If we go by the logic that "opinons are all equal" then what I've just said is every bit as valid as a believable story.  You can't honestly with a straight face think that's the case.

Also, opinions are weighted - ad often based on facts and observable realities.  Shouting the word opinion is not a valid counterargument.
It absolutely is an opinion to state that the voice acting is bad, especially in this case. You must have very little experience with voice acted media as a whole if this is something you sincerely believe. Pacing is also subjective and often involves world building at the expense of the plot slowing down. Whether you enjoy that or not is based on how immersed you are in the setting, and of course, this entire point hinges on actually playing the game and experiencing it for yourself. Just because you dislike the plot device used at the end of the game doesn't necessarily make it bad, and certainly not objectively so. I agree that the quests are objectively terrible, but that's where it ends.

There only nonsense here is you presenting your opinions as fact.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2020-04-12 16:32:06 »
Combat System is a mess. I mean how could anyone think that combat system makes sense? If you don't hit, you don't get ATB, so if enemy is out of range you basically can't do anything, no use items no use of magics. Lot of damages taken without even noticing, ATB ruined if you get hit while doing an ability.

Is that true?  Yes. Or No.  Because if Yes - that's another reason why someone like me would not like this game.  Yes.  or No.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Imagine crapping so badly on a battle system without even actually knowing the basics of it.

This thread has gone to crap. A bunch of people crapping on the game against a bunch of people that find the game enjoyable.

Also imagine stating that an average score of 8 (our of 10) is bad.

For example just a thing like this(automatic z-targeting and gap closing auto attacks) are things that I do not find attractive in a game (its like being held by the hand and extremely limits the freedom too much for my taste),

Yes, good thing that in the original you have to just spam the ok button.

Don't you find that incredibly ironic?

Don't waste your time. Some of these people are objectively insane.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 16:35:59 by -Ric- »

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2020-04-12 16:38:42 »
Yes, good thing that in the original you have to just spam the ok button.

Not in my personal version which was modded for years I guarantee you that:) This also wasn't about the difficulty of the game per se, rather that this mechanic is not appealing to me because it limits the freedom in an action based fight.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2020-04-12 16:42:46 »
I can see why people would love or hate both systems. After watching my friend playthrough the remake on a stream, the combat is certainly not as hack and slashy as it looks. You have to make a lot of mid-combat choices. And if you don't have a plan, you die.

While I do wish Square stuck with something turn based, it doesn't fully upset me either. It did for awhile.

I think there are tasteful ways to make changes to the original and still be faithful modernization of the original. Resident Evil 2 Remake is fairly close to that mark for me. I loved that game, despite missing some things from the original. I thought it was a faithful modernization.

I think FF7 could have been the same thing. The plot device at the end, and foreshadowed throughout is my main gripe - and what it means for the rest of the series. At the moment is it is a bit vague. I might end up reserving full judgement until all the parts are released. However, at the moment my aprehension is palpable.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 16:46:59 by Mendelevium »

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2020-04-12 17:49:22 »
Well I really enjoy the entertainment this topic provides, love to read the back and forth.

now on topic, Well ive played enough to give my final opinion. I highly enjoy the game for what it is. Sidequests suck, Narrative aspects are relatively bad across the board, combat is very fun, visuals are great despite some flawed textures which i can overlook and if you can accept that bosses seem to be a bit spongy only for "the sake of it" then they are very well done.

Overall im satisfied due to lack of expectations and never having cared for the original. =)
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 17:55:47 by Manakaiser »

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #147 on: 2020-04-12 18:32:40 »
and never having cared for the original. =)

Lets lynch this man. I have torches and 1 pitch fork.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #148 on: 2020-04-12 18:58:00 »

This thread has gone to crap. A bunch of people crapping on the game against a bunch of people that find the game enjoyable.

if it has, you can thank yourself for being a contributor

there are about 5 posts hanging around this forum from you that calls someone (usually DLPB...) "special" or "on the spectrum" (i'd be more than happy to link them all if you'd like)

that's really cool of you to blast the entire special needs community to win your final fantasy argument

people should be able to express their differing opinions without ANY insults, and frankly -Ric-, you have NO leg to stand on to call out others for this

your posts pour fuel into the fire almost every time
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 19:06:48 by Orichalcon »

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2020-04-12 19:13:51 »
Lets lynch this man. I have torches and 1 pitch fork.

i nonetheless enjoyed it for what it was for me, more of the ff formula i came to love with ff6 :P
« Last Edit: 2020-04-12 19:20:16 by Manakaiser »