Author Topic: (Possibly) New unused text found  (Read 6426 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
(Possibly) New unused text found
« on: 2007-07-13 19:45:40 »
I was just messing around with Cosmo and I found some text that is unused and I don't ever recall being reported (although, I have a VERY vague recollection of the text being used, but I've played the game 38000000 times and I don't remember it clearly

in mds7st3, the 9th "Misc Text" reads

[Choice]My husband never came back.
[NewScreen]
[Choice]I wonder if something happened to him?
[NewScreen]
[Choice]No, I'm sure his leave was just canceled.

now, we all know the "My husband never came back part", but what about those 2 options there, does anyone remember them being in the game beyond a vague recollection

Synergy Blades

Re: (Possibly) New unused text found
« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-13 22:07:53 »
It is used in the game by that character - just three pieces of dialog, she's basically talking to herself. The [Choice] tag in the dialog does not actually generate the choice action itself; that's done in the script. Rather, the [Choice] inserts a space, a bit like a tab, that is used to ensure there's enough space to the left of the line to place the hand pointer used in a choice box. It's a bit unusual to use it for this purpose as there is a tab character that can be used, but I don't think there's any mystery here.

GuardianAsher

« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-15 20:36:25 »
This text is used in the game. After the plate falls on the sector slums in the first disc, and when you go to find Marlene at Aeris's mom's house, when you talk to her and ask her about Aeris being captured and such, the game goes through a flashback of her sitting at the train station, waiting for her husband to come home. One piece of text pops up, screen blackout, next image with her standing somewhere else, saying another piece of text, and so on..

I am very sure of this, as I just started playing the game a few days ago, and went through this dialogue

Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-15 20:58:19 »
I definately remember Aeris' mother saying those lines in her house after Aeris is captured

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-18 02:05:59 »
ok, so I'm just going crazy, I actually don't remembering her saying them, I only remember "My husband never came back"

then again, I've beaten the game so many times that I don't pay much attention to certain parts anymore, that's one of those parts, well...don't I feel like a fool

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-18 15:00:26 »
Me too, i cant remember a part in the game when she's saying those lines except the first one.
Are you really Sure, Zack.

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-19 13:21:43 »
I definately remember Aeris' mother saying those lines in her house after Aeris is captured

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #7 on: 2007-07-19 18:39:57 »
Whats the point of quoting a post without making a comment?

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-07-20 06:26:59 »
Whats the point of quoting a post without making a comment?

No need for other words except the ones i quoted. ;-)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-08-03 00:07:07 »
Just to add to this, I can confirm with 100% certainty that Aeris's mother says that during the flashback of when she found Aeris.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-08-03 04:53:23 »
You know, its funny, but ther IS unused dialog... but that's not it.

The unused dialog comes from a man in Gongaga (who doesn't appear in-game) who gives you two key-items (which are in the games files, but otherwise unavailable to you): Letter to daughter, and Letter to Wife.  The recipients are supposedly the woman/little girl combo in a house in Kalm... they do not respond if you have these key items however.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-08-06 01:11:57 »
Yeah, I knew about that unused dialogue,  I did, however, while using Cosmo when trying to figure out why a specific screen wasn't loading right (still dunno, a total re-install fixed it), and I found that the text used when Biggs was on the ground in the PSX demo (and the PC demo if there was one) is still in the game, and the file that contains that contains a large portion of the text for the Debug Room