Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1848894 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2600 on: 2013-07-06 16:59:42 »
I should really buy the re-release, if only for helping...

Why yes, yes you should. PB too, and 040.1 patch. Go go go guys! ;D

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: 2013-07-06 17:31:39 »
I have so much I want to do, but how much will I manage to do, that who knows...

Sachichan

• View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: 2013-07-06 18:51:18 »
My current path is C:\games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII, because of Steam autonaming them. If i try to rename FINAL FANTASY VII folder, Steam cant detect it anymore and prevents me from booting the game.

roccovite

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: 2013-07-07 14:50:41 »
Hi,i miss only 2 mod,ffviiremix mp3's part1.rar and the second part...But the page tell me that i have to request the access...

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: 2013-07-07 14:52:27 »
Sorry about that i accidently set it on private before now it's in public now people can download it
« Last Edit: 2013-07-07 14:59:03 by e1sunz »

roccovite

• View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: 2013-07-07 17:11:50 »
Thank you! :)

i Have one more problem...i can'i play in full screen mod,when i try to play a pop up appear and give me an error "Failed to set the requested fullscreen mode,reverting to original resolution window mode"

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #2606 on: 2013-07-07 17:34:26 »
The way i get round that is change the res to like 800 X 600 or untick the preserve aspect in the configurator

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2607 on: 2013-07-07 17:55:39 »
Thank you! :)

i Have one more problem...i can'i play in full screen mod,when i try to play a pop up appear and give me an error "Failed to set the requested fullscreen mode,reverting to original resolution window mode"

What screen resolution and internal resolution are you trying to play with?

roccovite

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: 2013-07-07 18:00:14 »
Thanks it worked!

plutoknight

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: 2013-07-08 04:56:29 »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it I'm having a strange issue with my FF7 -- specifically, the font in the menus, and the battle menu.

Here's how my menu looks like:
The letters are all smashed up against each other.  I tried uninstalling Avalanche GUI, but that just changed the font, not the spacing of the letters.

In-game, the font is 100% fine:

Also, I've tried to get the FFX battle menu (or FFIX, even!) that I've seen in some videos, but instead, mine looks more normal:

And while that looks fine, I prefer the cleaner look of the other battle menus.  If I try to switch to them, instead of switching properly, the battle menu gets all jumbled up, to the point where I can only see one character's HP/MP and ATB bar.  I have to restart the game to get it back to normal.

I used Bootleg040, Steam version of the game. Used PitBrat's built-in config, and didn't change much aside from a couple character models and turning off Aeris Revival.  However, everytime I'd run Bootleg, the Menu Overhaul installer would freeze, requiring me to force quit it through the Task Manager.  I'm on Windows 8 (yeah yeah..), and it does it most times without fail -- I think I got it to half-way install properly once? Installing it after the fact didn't seem to...help.  I'm pretty sure other elements of the Menu Overhaul are working (Retranslation seems to be working, complete with Canon names/item names). 

I'm not sure if these are related, but any advice would be greatly appreciated X.X.  I love what the community has done for this game, and aside from these two issues, everything else has been a breeze to setup.

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: 2013-07-08 12:05:24 »
I'm interested in knowing if this project will attempt to preserve the new wrapper on the Steam version, in the future? I assume the main reason why this is setup to "downgrade" is because of when this program was made, but I admit my knowledge is limited at best.

As a side question, do these 'updates' that SE seems to be enjoying make it easier, harder, or have no effect on the progress of the project?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: 2013-07-08 17:52:00 »
This and almost everything will never be possible without downgrading your game.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: 2013-07-10 13:05:46 »
I'm going to go ahead and sum what Steam users should do to mod the game:

You need to copy (or move) the game contents into another, non-system folder like C:\Games\FF7 to be able to mod it. I got 6 help requests email regarding Bootleg in the last 24 hours, 4 of them were because the game was installed in the Steam folder still.

You honestly lose nothing by downgrading the game. Downgrading is simply moving/copying it into another folder.

I reply to all the help requests mails I get to the best of my knowledge.

~Vgr

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: 2013-07-10 15:45:46 »
Plutoknight, as far as i remember to fix that problem you have clear the cache folder, in the config disable compress textures and reinstall Menu Overhaul

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: 2013-07-10 15:53:02 »
Plutoknight, as far as i remember to fix that problem you have clear the cache folder, in the config disable compress textures and reinstall Menu Overhaul

Pluto did you install menu overhaul separately from bootleg? Or reinstall menu overhaul? If so, it will change your mod path to DK and a buncha files will end up in the game directory mods/DK/. Those files need to be copy pasted to the mods/bootleg/ directory and overwritten on anything prompted about. Also need to change modpath in bootloader back to Bootleg.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: 2013-07-10 17:13:44 »

You need to copy (or move) the game contents into another, non-system folder like C:\Games\FF7 to be able to mod it.
My GC reads the registry keys to determine the path to FF7.
Copy brings nothing there, move results in a termination of the GC (hopefully).
I strongly advise to reinstall the game in a non-system folder.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: 2013-07-10 17:43:48 »
Copying allow for modding without using anything else and keeps a copy of the unmodded game.

Moving achieves exactly the same purpose, except without backup.

I provided this solution for people to not have to use other programs than Bootleg itself.

~Vgr

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: 2013-07-10 18:17:21 »
That does not convince me!

That bootleg the folder structure of the rerelease can not maintain, is not my fault.
If the folder is copied. one has twice 2GB data lying around, which is probably used only once.
If you move it, the rerelease (or Steam) you can not play anyway.

Copying is only useful if you want to play both variants mutually, otherwise that only creates confusion.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: 2013-07-10 18:39:45 »
Of course, move it if you need the space, but I - uninstalling more often than not for testing purposes - prefer to keep a fresh copy lying around. Zipping the contents of the folder also works.

Tigertank

• View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: 2013-07-10 19:19:42 »
Hi, I have a problem. If I active "Shaders" option in the Bootloader I have icons, text, backgrounds, textures, .... all is white!  :-(
I use last bootleg and a Steam version of game.
Solutions? Thanks!

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: 2013-07-10 19:27:13 »
Everything is made of light

Q: My game is all black/white! It goes away when I disable shaders, but I don't want to! What do I do?
A: In your FF7 directory, copy and replace the files .\shaders\main.frag and .\shaders\main.vert into .\shaders\nolight\ (however, the shaders need to be enabled for this to work!) or you can download the shaders-fix (thanks to UGerstl for this).

Credits go to Xion999 for the fix.

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: 2013-07-10 20:57:39 »

You need to copy (or move) the game contents into another, non-system folder like C:\Games\FF7 to be able to mod it. I got 6 help requests email regarding Bootleg in the last 24 hours, 4 of them were because the game was installed in the Steam folder still.

You honestly lose nothing by downgrading the game. Downgrading is simply moving/copying it into another folder.

I reply to all the help requests mails I get to the best of my knowledge.

~Vgr

Dont you lose the ability to gain steam achievements, use cloud saving, and use the booster instead of hacking a savefile?

And what about the supposed increase for newer hardware/OS's and the extra filtering option? Is any of this affected at all?

Ultimately I'm going to try this mod setup as it's intended to be setup, but I'm trying to understand the hows and whys of the above questions.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: 2013-07-10 21:02:16 »
Yes. However, Steam achievements are simply a bunch of things you get anyway while playing. Cloud saving wasn't present in 1998 and the character booster is a much less versatile way to hack your savegame, Black Chocobo is miles better.

The increase for newer hardware/OS is provided by Aali's custom graphic drivers, which is installed with Bootleg.

Here are the advantages of having the game ran through Steam and not stand-alone:

- Cloud saving
- Nothing

I am fairly sure you can manage to live without cloud saves (that are limited to 3 computers at any time!).

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: 2013-07-10 21:29:33 »
I think there was something about a character booster? Seems silly because the game's already easy.

The only other thing I would mention is the critical hit flashes. I think Aali was working on that when the driver updates stopped. Or maybe it's just if you install menu overhaul? Anyway I hadn't seen them in a long time til I played on STEAM. 

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: 2013-07-10 21:31:43 »
Who needs the Character Booster when you have Black Chocobo? It's a lot more versatile.