Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1843949 times)

Tigertank

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2625 on: 2013-07-10 22:06:43 »
Everything is made of light

Q: My game is all black/white! It goes away when I disable shaders, but I don't want to! What do I do?
A: In your FF7 directory, copy and replace the files .\shaders\main.frag and .\shaders\main.vert into .\shaders\nolight\ (however, the shaders need to be enabled for this to work!) or you can download the shaders-fix (thanks to UGerstl for this).

Credits go to Xion999 for the fix.

Thank you dear friend ;)

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: 2013-07-10 23:58:46 »
Yes. However, Steam achievements are simply a bunch of things you get anyway while playing. Cloud saving wasn't present in 1998 and the character booster is a much less versatile way to hack your savegame, Black Chocobo is miles better.

The increase for newer hardware/OS is provided by Aali's custom graphic drivers, which is installed with Bootleg.

Here are the advantages of having the game ran through Steam and not stand-alone:

- Cloud saving
- Nothing

I am fairly sure you can manage to live without cloud saves (that are limited to 3 computers at any time!).

Oh, I certainly can. In fact, I have more problems with the cloud saving feature than anything. I've had to stare at my screen for a good 10-15 minutes at times waiting for it to try to download from the cloud, and fail to do it. Definitely not helpful when you need to rush to save because something came up IRL. You've answered my questions though so, thank you!

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: 2013-07-11 16:10:45 »
I have installed and played through bootlegged ffvii a few diffferent times now in the past year or two probably by now and it has always just worked for me and I've never had to ask questions (also it's f'in brilliant and I can't play ffvii without all these mods now) but anway, this particular time that i've downloaded all the mods and installed it, enemey battle texture are absent. they are just black naked polygons (well I guess if the polygons were naked you wouldn't see them at all) but they are just black figures... comrad textures and field textures are fine... perhaps it is my fault. I'm running bootleg again just incase... but bootleg mod list says im missing no mods... i'll continue to play around with some setting and things.

Muhahahahaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: 2013-07-11 16:16:10 »
Oh, I certainly can. In fact, I have more problems with the cloud saving feature than anything. I've had to stare at my screen for a good 10-15 minutes at times waiting for it to try to download from the cloud, and fail to do it. Definitely not helpful when you need to rush to save because something came up IRL. You've answered my questions though so, thank you!

Yeah, the "Cloud" (;)) saving isn't really worth it, especially since it's so buggy right now.

However, I for one *very* much want the achievements. I know that some hardcore players may think they're "stupid" and unnecessary, but to each their own. The achievements are pretty much the only reason that I bothered buying the game on Steam. After all, I already own the original PS1 disks (which work perfectly fine on my 2006 fat PS3), not to mention I paid an additional $10 to download it on PSN when I got too lazy to insert the disks... lol.

Actually, I also bought the Steam version because I heard that there were these glorious mods. :D

Anyway... it looks like I'll have to play through this game at least twice now so that I can get the achievements too. ;)

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: 2013-07-11 16:21:01 »
Yeah, the "Cloud" (;)) saving isn't really worth it, especially since it's so buggy right now.

However, I for one *very* much want the achievements. I know that some hardcore players may think they're "stupid" and unnecessary, but to each their own. The achievements are pretty much the only reason that I bothered buying the game on Steam. After all, I already own the original PS1 disks (which work perfectly fine on my 2006 fat PS3), not to mention I paid an additional $10 to download it on PSN when I got too lazy to insert the disks... lol.

Actually, I also bought the Steam version because I heard that there were these glorious mods. :D

Anyway... it looks like I'll have to play through this game at least twice now so that I can get the achievements too. ;)

You could always make a list of the actual acheivments and check them off as you get them in the modded version. ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: 2013-07-11 16:23:04 »
I, for one, think achievements are stupid. Mind you, I'm not a hardcore player, but achievements are stuff like "Win your first battle" (duh), "Defeat <insert boss name/shorthand here>" (again, duh) and probably other things that aren't even worth it, IMO. But as you said, to each their own.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2631 on: 2013-07-11 20:32:21 »
You could always make a list of the actual acheivments and check them off as you get them in the modded version. ;)

lol When you think of it that way, any game can have achievements.

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: 2013-07-11 20:46:17 »
Well hell... Now enemies are completely invisible and tifas face is black lol... It's a mess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: 2013-07-11 20:47:57 »
Try disabling shaders.

Vieilocean

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: 2013-07-12 22:21:11 »
Hi,
I try to search an answer for my problem in this thread,but I have not find anything.
Practically I have a strange bug : installation ok, start game ok, all fine until I take the first chocobo near the "chocobo farm". Make the combat, catch the chocobo, and when pops-up the window of how to ride the chocobo,the game stucks, keyboard out of use but the music goes on. The only thing I can do is press "Window" and close the game. Before bother someone on this forum,I fought "It's a little bug,try to go on". I arrived at "Rocket Town", all perfect until I took the Tiny Bronco after defeat Palmer. Same problem as the chocobo, pop-up window of how to drive the Bronco and again the game stucks. Here I can't skip, it's an obligatory step. I try to reduce shaders,resolution or whatever...but nothing. An help is appreciated.

Great work for the bootleg,however.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-12 22:23:41 by Vieilocean »

forbiddeneric

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: 2013-07-13 00:21:47 »
I'm curious as to if the black bars in battle has been fixed or a workaround to remove them has been found? If this has been asked in this post please could a link to the answer be posted? Oh forgot to mention that the black bars are over the names of my party in combat and i am missing the limit break bars and active time bar.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-13 00:31:51 by forbiddeneric »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: 2013-07-13 01:02:49 »
I'm curious as to if the black bars in battle has been fixed or a workaround to remove them has been found? If this has been asked in this post please could a link to the answer be posted? Oh forgot to mention that the black bars are over the names of my party in combat and i am missing the limit break bars and active time bar.
➣ When I'm in battle, the text for HP/MP/Limit bars is congested and misaligned
This is because you have installed the "9999 Break" in Bootleg AND checked "Break Limit 9999" in Bootloader Configure.
    Open Bootloader Configure.
    Uncheck "Break Limit 9999"
    Click "Write CFG" to save.

forbiddeneric

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: 2013-07-13 01:07:56 »
Thank you Template! just a quick question now is all i have left so if i uncheak the break limit will my life and mp beable to break the limit lol?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2638 on: 2013-07-13 03:26:30 »
Thank you Template! just a quick question now is all i have left so if i uncheak the break limit will my life and mp beable to break the limit lol?

Yes, it will still break the limit.

squallBK

• View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: 2013-07-13 15:31:13 »
So, random question. I read over  this tutorial, sorry  if I missed something:

I have installed  the bootleg configurator for  my steam download  of ff7 and everything is working great. However, when configuring BFE, I forgot to check the check box 'Aeris Revival' (From BFE, it is the game tab under difficulty modes).

Will running bootleg  again run the complete install script over again, or  will it only update the changes I have made to the BFE configuration? Also, on a semi-side note , I have  noticed that Aeris_Patch_23_March_2011.rar was already  in my bootleg_040 directory. Currently, I am only  in Costa Del Sol.

If someone could let  me know about this when possible, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:

Also, again, on a side  note, and completely unrelated, to any steam users who are  having difficulties using the bootleg configurator to  modify this  game, I will describe to you the problem I had, and a potential solution.

1. Went to configure bootleg  via bfe.exe.

2.  Ran bootleg from bfe (Run Bootleg)

3. Upon opening, an access  is denied error popped up.

4. I closed bfe and bootleg via task manager (In case of any hanging processes), and tried to change bootleg.exe's compatibility settings to run as admin. I was  unable to right click to change the settings for this file as I would get  the spinning blue circle of death, as some might call  it. I found out later  that this because my anti-virus (AVG Free 2013) was detecting bootleg.exe as a trojan.

5. While a temporary disable of my antivirus would probably have worked, I restarted  in safe mode (after restarting your computer, press F8 when it powers  on) in case any other programs might be causing bootleg.exe to be having this problem.

6. Sure enough, in safe  mode, I was  able to right click bootleg.exe, navigate to the compatibility  tab, and discover that I couldn't check the box saying 'Run Program As Administrator'  because the box, along with all the other compatibility settings, had been grayed out  and unable to be modified.

7. I went into start > typed regedit (registry editor) and pressed enter.

8. Navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers .

9. In Layers, right click  in the  right hand pane where the registry  values  are, and click new > string value.

10. Name  the  string value  the  fully qualified  file  path where bootleg.exe is located, including bootleg.exe  at the end of the file path.  (For me, this was C:\Users\username\desktop\bootleg040\bootleg.exe)

11. Right click on the string value you just created and click modify.

12. Type RUNASADMIN in the value data row. Click  OK.

13. You should now be able to run this program as  an  administrator. Restart your computer  in normal mode. I would also advise disabling your antivirus program if you have one. Dependent on the antivirus program you have, you may only be able to disable it temporarily.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-13 15:54:26 by squallBK »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: 2013-07-13 15:39:33 »
Running Bootleg on the top of an already-Bootlegged game is not supported yet. You will have to uninstall and reinstall to avoid potential glitches.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: 2013-07-13 15:48:12 »
I have installed  the bootleg configurator for  my steam download  of ff7 and everything is working great. However, when configuring BFE, I forgot to check the check box 'Aeris Revival' (From BFE, it is the game tab under difficulty modes).

Will running bootleg  again run the complete install script over again, or  will it only update the changes I have made to the BFE configuration? Also, on a semi-side note , I have  noticed that Aeris_Patch_23_March_2011.rar was already  in my bootleg_040 directory. Currently, I am only  in Costa Del Sol.

Bootleg can't uninstall and it can't install over itself selectively. The best thing to do is to manually install that mod yourself, assuming you haven't installed any difficulty modes. The Aeris Patch release post contains more info on installing the mod and incompatibilities. If you installed any difficulty mods or you just want to play Hardcore mode with it, you need to completely uninstall through windows control panel, ff7 music first, then ff7, erase all your ff7 installed files off your hard drive manually (if they remain), and redo bootleg with desired settings (bootleg magic makes Hardcore and Aeris revival compatible). Hardcore is really genuinely difficult tho, I can't say I'd recommend it to a casual player.

squallBK

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: 2013-07-13 16:08:47 »
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I will see what I can do. Not a big deal anyway :)

Vieilocean

• View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: 2013-07-13 18:21:39 »
No one can help me with this ?
Hi,
I try to search an answer for my problem in this thread,but I have not find anything.
Practically I have a strange bug : installation ok, start game ok, all fine until I take the first chocobo near the "chocobo farm". Make the combat, catch the chocobo, and when pops-up the window of how to ride the chocobo,the game stucks, keyboard out of use but the music goes on. The only thing I can do is press "Window" and close the game. Before bother someone on this forum,I fought "It's a little bug,try to go on". I arrived at "Rocket Town", all perfect until I took the Tiny Bronco after defeat Palmer. Same problem as the chocobo, pop-up window of how to drive the Bronco and again the game stucks. Here I can't skip, it's an obligatory step. I try to reduce shaders,resolution or whatever...but nothing. An help is appreciated.

Great work for the bootleg,however.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: 2013-07-13 18:48:43 »
No one can help me with this ?
Hello Vieilocean, apologize for not making suggestion earlier, I think this is something about regions.
You should use this FF7-Remove-keys tool after uninstalling and deleting all ff7 files and directories. Install the game, then use Kompass63's Game Converter, then try bootleg and see how that goes.

Vieilocean

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: 2013-07-13 19:33:10 »
Hello Vieilocean, apologize for not making suggestion earlier, I think this is something about regions.
You should use this FF7-Remove-keys tool after uninstalling and deleting all ff7 files and directories. Install the game, then use Kompass63's Game Converter, then try bootleg and see how that goes.

Thanks for the answer. Very appreciated.

Largos

• View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: 2013-07-14 02:19:09 »
Hi all.

First off; thanks for all the work you've put into this. Congratulations.

I have one issue and one question:

I am running AVG Internet security 2013.
As soon as I extract the bootleg zip I get alerts that bootleg.exe has the following Trojan:
Generic33.BGUM
Alerts for this repeatedly show up, AVG is not happy.
The question: I've unzipped all the folders contained in Tifa's big pack, can the GUI see in these unzipped folders, or should I be moving ALL files into the root folder and deleting the unwanted folders?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Largos

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: 2013-07-14 02:28:40 »
You should NOT unzip the folders/mods. Also AVG causes too many false positives (and for having seen the code of both BFE and the Bootleg process, I can assure you that there is NO trojan there).

Largos

• View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: 2013-07-14 10:03:09 »
Cheers for that.

After running everything I would launch the game, hear the sound, but there'd be 3 red triangles like the Triforce fromm Zelda (only way to describe it) with the start music running fine.

Tweaked a few config settings, then was getting a black screen, no sound, no errors.

Added FF7 and Bootloader to my Raedon HD 6900 series 3d application settings, same issue.

Re ran the BFE. Runs ok up to the GJ0RULV's FFVII Hardcor Patch.

States there was an error:

Below log created: 14/07/2013 at 7:49:32 PM
PROGRESS:
Checking files.
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\battle\scene.bin
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\kernel\kernel.bin
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\battle\battle.lgp
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\kernel\kernel.bin
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\kernel\kernel2.bin
 File check-> C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\field\flevel.lgp
Patch starting.
Patching: C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\battle\scene.bin
Patching: C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\kernel\kernel.bin
Patching: C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\lang-en\kernel\kernel2.bin
ERROR: Couldn't patch ff7.exe. Unexpected byte sequence. Make sure you have newest version of ff7.
Initializing: C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\battle\battle.lgp
Searching for duplicates.
All files already exists.
Initializing: C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\field\flevel.lgp
anfrst_2 not found. Not patched.
anfrst_5 not found. Not patched.
blin65_1 not found. Not patched.
convil_4 not found. Not patched.
farm not found. Not patched.
gnmk not found. Not patched.
hyou13_2 not found. Not patched.
hyou5_1 not found. Not patched.
hyou8_2 not found. Not patched.
las2_3 not found. Not patched.
las2_4 not found. Not patched.
las3_2 not found. Not patched.
las3_3 not found. Not patched.
las4_0 not found. Not patched.
las4_4 not found. Not patched.
las4_42 not found. Not patched.
md8_32 not found. Not patched.
nvdun1 not found. Not patched.
nvmkin21 not found. Not patched.
qd not found. Not patched.
slfrst_2 not found. Not patched.
trackin not found. Not patched.
trnad_2 not found. Not patched.
zcoal_2 not found. Not patched.
zz5 not found. Not patched.
zz6 not found. Not patched.
zz7 not found. Not patched.
zz8 not found. Not patched.
No files found. C:\Games\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\field\flevel.lgp not patched.
Patch finished.
Time spent: 0:12

I'm using the Re-release (2012) option as I assume this is what Steam version is, based off reading that it has a feature from this version.

Any ideas?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: 2013-07-15 05:46:27 »
After running everything I would launch the game, hear the sound, but there'd be 3 red triangles like the Triforce fromm Zelda (only way to describe it) with the start music running fine.
Tweaked a few config settings, then was getting a black screen, no sound, no errors.
Added FF7 and Bootloader to my Raedon HD 6900 series 3d application settings, same issue.
Re ran the BFE. Runs ok up to the GJ0RULV's FFVII Hardcor Patch.
I'm using the Re-release (2012) option as I assume this is what Steam version is, based off reading that it has a feature from this version.
Need to be running a previous beta Catalyst driver version for ATI cards and moddedFF7: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.5_beta2.exe
Also, if the new drivers don't help this is a response from other giant bootleg thread:
Quote from: Template
Lots of issues with STEAM... I installed bootleg on a fresh steam build this morning to double check. Seemed fine.
Guys, Kompass63 has a new version of his Game Converter out.
I wanna suggest it for anyone having trouble with getting through the bootleg process itself.
Please completely uninstall STEAM itself in order to move it outside of the Program Files directories. (If it isn't already) If that's already been done and STEAM itself is outside your program files directories, then:
Use Kompass's Remove FF7 Keys utility to clean your registry.
Then install steam (outside the program files directories), then install ff7, the Game Converter, and finally, bootleg. Some people are having success with this method. Lets see if we are on to something.