Author Topic: [HD Remake] Mideel WIP  (Read 57312 times)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
[HD Remake] Mideel WIP
« on: 2013-01-14 02:34:33 »
Hi !

To try them:

1.) Download the background.
2.) Delete the .blend extension and unzip the folder.
3.) Keeping the same folder names move the folders to /yourFFinstallation//mods/<modpath>/field/

In case you dont have a matching save game use one of these http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8880.msg115218#msg115218

Itmin1: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/23854 

Itmin2: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/23856 

Itown1a:

20.08.2020 (lol): https://imgur.com/a/vhcxs3T

« Last Edit: 2020-08-20 00:41:31 by anaho »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [HD Remake] Mideel WIP
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-14 08:52:11 »
Great start! Thanks!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-14 20:57:58 »
That looks really nice! A very good start indeed, it really conveys the feel of the place  :)
A couple of questions about your modelling:
- I see you've made a stainless steel sink instead of decorated ceramic, do you have any plans about changing that later or is it "only if moderator wants"? (Personally I'm fine with how you've made it though).
- If you wish, I can help to make the UV of the round carpet. I see how it can be done with vector drawings without taking too long. That is unless you want to do it yourself or you simply don't want to change the carpet pattern from how you've made it so far. Just let me know.
- Something I was wondering about the lighting: your use of soft shadows gives a nice realistic feeling. However, the original scene has some clearly outlined shadows, like if they were made by sunlight-exposed objects. Do you plan on including a sun lamp for your scene? It could make sense if the room were partly lit by a skylight window. Anyway, I just mean to give "food for thoughts".

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-14 22:42:27 »
ohw, feeld like you could live there :-) nice going.
never noticed the 'Spirits within' poster in the original though  :lol:
 8)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-15 03:20:54 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:51:43 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-15 17:03:55 »
Concerning the carpet: given its patterns, which are based on regular geometric shapes, I think some vector drawing in Paintshop (or Photoshop) could do it fairly fast. My girlfriend also uses Inkscape (which is opensource) to make vector drawings and finds it very good for that kind of job. However, probably we'll need to loop a process of color adjustment (meaning: I give you a texture, you render, we compare with color scheme of original image and I submit another texture with adjusted colors, and so forth) because, in my experience, the UV colors take quite a different tone when they show on hair particles (which you use to make the fluffy texture of the carpet, I assume), as I found out when making the doormat on the mds5_i scene.
About lighting: given the original main light source, the lighting from the window above the oven is very indirect indeed. I also didn't figure the original sun-like light source made so little sense.

Kyo13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-02-22 07:48:32 »
Damn good Anaho !!!! Don't know who you are, don't know where you are from, but really impressed. I hope you just keep working on it and if you need other modders on it maybe, this must be a lot of work...

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-19 01:29:33 »
Hey anaho, I just noticed your update on your first post edit: awesome job  :)

Perhaps it would be best, whenever you want to show your progress, that you make it as a new post in order to bump the thread on the top of the list (I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who hasn't noticed the work you've accomplished since then). By the way, I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier to provide you the carpet UV texture (you've done very well on that, thankfully my lateness didn't prevent you from making good progress).
Also, I'm not sure what other texture is giving you problems (do you have a full-res pic for us to check out?). I can try to help in the hunt for some good texture pictures should you need to (hoping that I would get faster at giving you a hand, this time).

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-23 21:05:18 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:51:58 by anaho »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-03-24 10:25:37 »
What I need are some hires textures mostly of wood shot from pretty far away.
I add what I currently think as an image.

The place where i get my textures from is this

as a side note, I don't know why people keep going on about 5 times the resolution, this is an overkill, 4 times original is the way to go.
 8)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-03-24 16:34:20 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:52:14 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-03-24 17:26:34 »
The place where i get my textures from is this
as a side note, I don't know why people keep going on about 5 times the resolution, this is an overkill, 4 times original is the way to go.
 8)
I also take my textures from the same place (well, also because I'm cheap and you get those for free  :P  ). Otherwise, 5 times is the guideline set by the mods as far as I'm aware (well in fact it should be 4.5 times the size, but it's been rounded up).
Well thanks and I also like the scenes you do.
Didnt repost, because I´m still not finished and have little time.
There is not necessarily a problem apart from one object ( the basket, I really dont know how to make that look good in a sane amount of time) but the remaining stuff is just ultra boring and time consuming to do ( bread, wood sheaves,flowers, labels on beverages, carpets etc.)
What I go for is integrety, make the scene look good as a whole with no stray visual spots. Also started adding stuff that was not in the original just for the sake of this.
There is no full res render yet, as the 1075P one took 35 hours to render.
One thing thats definitely starting to become a problem in 3584P is texture resolution. The floor uses a 14Kx14K texture and that is on the verge of being low-res. What I need are some hires textures mostly of wood shot from pretty far away.
I add what I currently think as an image.

Edit: There are also strange glitches that keep reappearing from time to time, and stay once they occurred ?!? It somehow corrupts displacement modifiers ( floor feel victim to this 3 times...) resulting in totally off spacing and warps texture uvs very stangely.
It remains once I kill the displacement modifier, and the UVs seem to be fine in the editor. Take a look at the tree on the right side. Really strange and have never seen this before. I´ll just rotate it around ;)
Personally I've been fine using seamless tileable textures, even if these textures were not in very high res, while rendering 1680 * 2000 images. Also, personally I (ab)use procedural textures, which are not demanding in terms of memory and always get to the resolution you want.
Concerning the floor: I wonder if what you could do is assign different materials, so that each piece of floor can get a higher res texture. For instance, subdivide your floor into squares were wood planks are aligned (thus making 16 smaller squares) and get a material for each. Personally, for the scene I'm working on (ealin_1), that's a bit how I managed to get very good texture details on some objects like the TV. If I had tried to build all the texturing of the TV into one single UV, I would have needed a 8000*8000 image to achieve the level of detail I wanted. Instead, I assigned different materials with individual UVs for each part of the TV I wanted details on (and each UV is about 1000*1000 or less): one UV for the speakers, one UV for the on/off button, etc. It's a bit tedious (as you have to make many different UVs) but you can easily get details without having huge texture images. You clearly won't need a 14K*14K image for having decent resolution if you proceed like that.
On another note, even though I know displacements are better than bumpmaps, when an object is really "flat" overall (like the floor) I am not sure how much you gain in visual quality by applying displacements instead of bumpmaps. Bumpmaps would certainly cut a large chunk of your memory requirements and decrease render times. Personally, for scratch maps, I often based it on the "Distorted noise" procedural that I stretch in one preferential direction (in the "mapping" section), and make it a bumpmap.
Otherwise, for drawing labels, I think I can do some stuff if you're interested (provided I'm more responsive than for the "carpet UV case"  :oops:  ). It didn't take me long for making the stuff I'm linking below:

(UV for wine bottle label, for ealin_1 scene)

(applied Shinra-Cola UV for a soda can, used in mds5_dk scene)

If you feel like I can help you out, just send me the UV layout for me to draw onto.

By the way, when I was doing my wine bottles for the ealin_1 scene, I had troubles to get a good render for a "bottle that contains colored liquid" or at least, it didn't seem to look as good as the bottles you've made in your scene. Do you have some tips for the materials properties for the bottle itself, and the liquid?

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-24 19:13:30 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:52:38 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-25 17:16:49 »
Then, I'd have a "noob" question: why did you bake all the floor textures into a single UV, as opposed to leaving them as different textures? From my own practice, I can't see any advantage in that...

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-03-25 20:03:01 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:52:52 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-26 00:40:32 »
I must admit there are still a few things I don't quite understand though  :-[         I would believe it would be more convenient to model the floor with multiple materials and smaller UVs...
Nevertheless, let me try some constructive remarks:

- I am surprised you need 10K textures to achieve the amount of detail you need (especially for a rendered image that will be in the 2000*2000). That seems overkill to me. I've never used any texture larger than 2096*2096. That is, maybe you find my textures are not detailed enough  :P 
- Do you do texture painting within Blender or do you handle everything outside Blender (Photoshop, etc.)? I understand texture painting can be handy (and then I'd understand why you'd like to put everything under a single UV), as a matter of fact I used it quite a bunch in my modelling of mds5_i (item shop) for extra grime textures on the walls.
- As far as my practice goes: I feel like the heavy subdivisions you need are only necessary because of your displacement shader (I don't think it's because of a photo vs. procedurals texturing issue - you still need highly subdivided quads for proper procedural displacement). In the case of your floor, as I said before bumpmaps may be just as fine visually (because the irregularities in the wood are very small), and would not require so many polys for your floor object. Have you tried that route? Or does it give the "sticked in" look you're talking about?

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-26 17:26:27 »
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 14:53:07 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-26 22:29:15 »
- Actually, I'm not sure the x5 full resolution render is as big as you mentioned, so it might relieve you of some of your concern about texture resolution. As far as I checked, you'll need to make a 2400*2240 render (almost 1/4 of the area of a 3800*3500 image, which may help).
- I think texture painting within Blender might be useful in your case, given that your UVs are all over the place, because you can paint directly on the scene without worrying where your brush strokes end up on your UV. It's not super-precise though, but I found it useful when you want to add blotches of grime in very specific locations (where finding an appropriate photo is pretty much unfeasible, and procedural don't give you controls on locations).
- Food for thought: for designing the floor, I think I'd have subdivided it into 16 squares, and then used the knife tool to draw the logs, giving the ability to make them slightly distorted. It's a bit like modelling each plank though, I don't know how tedious it would get compared with your method.
- I would believe that most (if not all) modellers are chill guys who like to stare at stuff, and wishing for a faster PC  ;)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-04-19 14:54:52 »
I wonder if it is possible to implement night/ day switches either based on the game timer or by sleeping at the inn...

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-04-19 18:40:29 »
I've not looked into the code of this game, but I don't think it could be easily implemented. I'd guess you'd need to call different scenes depending on the state of the day/night switch, and I don't know if the code is open to the addition of "potentially usable fields" - or if you need to insert some lines of code to check the state of the switch every single time you need to load a scene. I'm also unsure how you could change from night to day (or vice-versa) if you remain in one given field for a long time (or rather, I'm not sure if the original code can easily be modified to include that kind of feature). There are a couple of day/night changes in the game, I wonder how they are scripted (the Forgotten City comes to mind).
Anyway, I'm impressed by all the tiny additions you made to the scene, they look awesome! The fruit basket is a very neat piece of work. I'm also wondering how you got the toast textures (did you put a toast in a scanner or something?). Great texturing overall, too. If you have tips I could use to improve the texturing of my scenes (ealin), that'd be welcome. By the way, feel free to send me some UVs canvas for the bottle labels if you want me to have a go at it. By the way, why did you remove the tap (Or did you simply forget to put it on the render layer?)? 

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-04-19 18:57:54 »
Well, I thought so, but it would be cool to experience these scenes under different day times.
About some details: I used blendswap  as some things (toast, basket, flowers) on that site are really cool and saves time.
I removed the tap, because it was way too big and want add other details so that it looks a little better.
UVs will be posted here:
Texturing I will post in your thread.

« Last Edit: 2013-04-19 19:21:44 by anaho »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-04-19 20:12:27 »
- About day/night cycles: I would love to have this feature in the game, it's definitely on my wishlist... but I don't think it's a reasonable wish at this point. In the same trend, I would also like to have weather change for outdoor scenes  :D
- I didn't know about blendswap. However, so far I candidly took every item of a scene as "an occasion to learn more about modelling". Maybe it's better for my own skills, but I agree it may not be the most time-efficient method.
- I had some conversation with sl1982 about scaling objects. I would recommend putting back the tap, and scaling it to a size that you like. If you have the sink without the tap, it looks weird and non-functional (or at least that's my opinion).
- Will be waiting for your UVs. And thanks again for the feedback  :)

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-06-10 12:46:59 »
Updated first post.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #23 on: 2013-06-10 14:56:10 »
Oh gosh!!! So sharp and clear textures on 2A!!! Only sheets are too bright! Amazing work! Textures look so real!!!
« Last Edit: 2013-06-10 14:58:05 by LeonhartGR »

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-06-10 15:14:03 »
Well, thanks :)
As said it is not finished but nearly. The floor for example is totally not done and some details are not modelled yet, and missing materials on the bed make it very bright.