Project forums > Team Avalanche

[Tutorial] How Palmer works - Get New Fields into game

(1/7) > >>

SpooX:
Part 1, how to get the layers out of the Game

needed tools:

* FF7-PC (for getting the lgp files, the version does not matter).
* Palmer
I'm not going into unpacking the field file, but make sure you have it extracted, giving 'itmin2'

now open Palmer,

left click on the window, select open field file and select the extracted field file.

If all goes well, the scene should be shown on screen.
once again left click on the screen and select 'Export PNG Files'

now you'll end up with several files;

* itmin2_0_00000000.png
* itmin2_0_00000128.png
* itmin2_0_00000129.png
* itmin2_0_00000130.png
* itmin2_0_00000516.pngLike this:

These are the different layers of the field file.

Now what you have to do is to recreate these specific files (with higher resolutions of course :-) )
(that's for the next part)
 8-)

SpooX:
part 2 (how to recreate the layers)
(to be filled later)
Ok, now we have our different layers, what we do is import them in any graphical package that supports layers, I use Photoshop, but anything else should do as well.

Import the layers in the corresponding order (file-name-numbers from low to high).

After all layers are imported, they are aligned by slightly moving them to fit the picture, now it just looks like the background in the game.

To get the correct size we want we have to enlarge the layers 4 times.

depending on the method of enlargement, there might be some artifacts, which are typicly visible at the colored green layers

Now we have the right size of the different layers which need to be rendered.
The rendering of these parts vary from 3d tool to 3d tool, but in principle it should be similar.

As for creating the final renderings, one might be able to use different render passes. Use the property where you can differentiate the objects being rendered, as a layer, or a seperate pass.
This functionality differs between every CC-Tool (Content Creation tool).

As an example here you can see some different passes of a field file I created earlier (long time ago....when the earth was stil flat... :?)

Full render - Material ID's - Object ID's

This gave me in the end, as a quick and dirty not completely cleaned up version:

see note on enlarging the original layers...

Additional information on object seperation in the renderers can be found here:

* Blender - (see IndexOb)
* Maya
* 3ds Max - (See Material ID)This list is not complete as it differs between the render engines being used...
8-)

SpooX:
Part 3, how to get the new layers into the Game

Make sure to have the above images in the correct naming in a single directory.
Make sure there are no underscores in the directory names.

for this tutorial I only changed the original...since I don't have this field rendered...
now open Palmer,
reload the original field file

left click on the window, select 'import PNG files' and select the newly created png files.

If all goes well, the scene should be shown on screen, otherwise play around with the right click menu and turn layers on and off.

note the difference... ;D
If all new files are loaded, once again left click on the screen and select 'Write Modpath Textures'

now you'll end up with several files looking very scrambled;

* itmin2_00_00.png
* itmin2_01_00.png
* itmin2_02_00.png
These are the files which should be placed in the modpath, in this example:
mods/<modpath>field/itmin2/ (Palmer will tell you this also...)

If the above has been completed, fire up FF7 (it's usefull to have a savefile with a save located close to the field) and go to the field.
Don't have the old version installed, so maybe later I'll drop some screens here...
Basically that's all there is to it.

8)

Mayo Master:
Awesome tutorial SpooX, thanks a bunch.
However, I wanted to get started the other day by using Palmer with the 2012 version that I just bought. However, I'm not able to open any field file, presumably because they need "unpacking". I have no idea how to unpack these field files (though I tried to look around the forum and ended up more confused than anything else), I'd appreciate if you (or someone else) could explain, despite
--- Quote from: SpooX on 2013-08-07 18:08:40 ---I'm not going into unpacking the field file, but make sure you have it extracted, giving 'itmin2'
--- End quote ---

SpooX:
Ok, for completion sake  ;-)

First there are several tools available

* Ali's lgp/unlgp - LGP/UnLGP (command line) Extracts and packs LGP archives via a command line. Forum
* Lucksy's ulgp (command line) - Extracts and packs LGP archives via a command line. Expands on Lgp/unlgp by placing both functions into one tool. Tool can add files to archives without the need to extract first. Forum
* Ficudela's LGPTools  - Extracts and packs LGP archives with a GUI. Replaced by LGP/unLGP.  linkall above tools can be found in the wiki
Note, Ficudela's is listed as obsolete, do not use, but it extracts fine, if I remember correctly it was the compressing that had an bug inside...

Original PC Version
Same as below, only different data path

2012 SE Version

browse to your game folder; <Where-everinstalled>\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\field
copy the flevel.lgp file to a (empty) folder of your liking.
copy one of the above tools, if command-line to the same folder I used Ficudela's which has a nice interface
extract the whole, or by Ficudela's only the selected one (mostly extract all)

now you'll end up with a directory filled with files without an extention, these are the files you need for the above tutorial.

2013 Steam Version
no clue, don't have steam  ;D

Hope this helps...
 8-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version