Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007983 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3800 on: 2017-08-28 18:34:14 »
The original game didn't have any proper programming or scoring whatsoever and was half unfinished.  I've deliberately made 50% very hard to do (you don't have to be absolutely perfect).  But if you got 49% then you can do 50.  It's a matter of shaving off a frame. You don't HAVE to get 50%. But if you want to, then you must earn it ;)
« Last Edit: 2017-08-28 18:52:17 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: 2017-08-29 00:03:28 »
Keep getting distracted... but we really are getting close.  At moment I am tinkering with ff8 though.  May be able to easily remove black bars in world map and battle.  So that will be cool.  And I'm currently trying to remove critical hit flashes and so on for someone.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: 2017-08-29 01:16:56 »
May be able to easily remove black bars in world map and battle.  So that will be cool.

Wow, great news, really looking forward for this!

Crownstrike

• View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: 2017-08-29 05:11:26 »
First off, amazing work on The Reunion Mod. I personally consider it to be a VAST improvement in terms of the localization and overall narration. I appreciate all the hard work you and Luksy put into this effort. Suffice to say my wife and I are enjoying this version of the game since I too wanted to introduce her to FF7 and found the original localization 'sloppy' at best.

In any case, the one scene I personally hold dear is the moment we find out what really happened in Nibelheim when Tifa and Cloud enter the Lifestream together. Now, from what I read it's the bad PC port that accounts for the soundtrack being out of sync when Cloud removes his infantry helmet into the subsequent scene where he tosses Sephiroth into the Lifestream. I was curious if there is hex value I could modify or some patch to properly sync this scene as the Overworld music in the PSX version is timed perfectly and relays the proper 'feels' that I believe my wife will most likely experience as well.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: 2017-08-29 05:16:57 »
That's already been done. The latest Reunion + the Anxious Heart mod should fix this for you.  The next version of The Reunion melds all this together in one package. The problem with the sync is that the music is wrong in PC and the fade timings etc are wrong.  I've corrected both for R05c and definitely R06.  It isn't a simple fix.  It's a large number of tweaks in the field code and executable.  Download R05c and install Anxious Heart from tools. This should suffice for now.

Crownstrike

• View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: 2017-08-29 05:37:07 »
Thank you for your quick reply DLPB!! You rock man!
I don't want to be 'that guy' but having some issues trying to acquire the necessary files for the fix you recommended.

I went to the Anxious Heart page: (Hope I have the right link)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.msg241647#msg241647

However, it appears the file has been removed. I went through a few pages of the thread and most of the links appear dead or files deleted.

Additionally, I can't seem to find R06 I only see R05c available (not sure if this something that will be released at a later date; still new to the forum)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and look forward to hearing from you again!
« Last Edit: 2017-08-29 05:39:30 by Crownstrike »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: 2017-08-29 05:48:36 »
R06 is the next release and is not out yet.  R05c should still fix the issue.

AH is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B43luAxFZKC-aklOV0VvYy0xUWc

Crownstrike

• View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: 2017-08-29 06:56:54 »
This is perfect now. Thank you so much again DLPB. I feel 100% confident in now properly sharing the FFVII experience with my wife. What you guys have accomplished here is a masterpiece and totally needs more recognition (F the haters). Sakaguchi would be proud.

Reading your AH thread about other possible updates (Cait Sith substitution) has really piqued my interest. I agree his character design and gameplay were weak ESPECIALLY in the 32-bit days. Maybe the Remake will somehow make him playable (I actually think the VA actually helps in HIS case) but who knows with SE. I think as a NPC or Support character he is OK (Crisis Core, DoC) but as a playable character, meh.

In any case, what other changes/concepts are in the pipeline for the future of FFVII Modding? Anything that you/your team are willing to share? These mods are literally the only thing I actually look forward to after working 55-60+ hours a week.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: 2017-08-29 07:06:43 »
I'd seriously suggest waiting for R06 since it will have had a full proof check and there have been a few issues found and corrected already.  But you'd be waiting 3 months.  As it is, I'd say it's 95%.

The Cait Sith replacement mod has been abandoned - but I can't stand Cait. I can't see the remake doing any good, sadly.  :P  All other projects and ideas have been posted on this forum.  I continually add posts here.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-29 07:08:34 by DLPB »

Mooneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: 2017-08-29 13:42:58 »
Hi there!
First, I want to say that your work is impressive!

I have a problem with your download link... there isn't any seed since yesterday so I can't download it. :/

Can someone seed me the file or send it to me directly please? That would be great!

And also... is there any way to only install the retranslation mod? I don't want the other ones...
« Last Edit: 2017-08-29 13:47:55 by Mooneyes »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: 2017-08-29 15:27:57 »
See the help file in regards to your last question. As for seeds... there definitely is.  I've just downloaded it myself. Perhaps your torrent client or ISP or firewall are the issue.

Mooneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: 2017-08-29 15:53:52 »
Oh well... my firewall was the problem... Thank you for the help! :D

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #3812 on: 2017-08-29 22:53:44 »
The Cait Sith replacement mod has been abandoned

Don't do that. I like the character myself, but love to see different things added to the game. With the new expansion of playable enemy battle models and animations you should keep this back burnered. It may turn up a really new exciting avenue. On another note, I really feel things seem to have quieted down here regarding releases of new mods and I bet after you release R06 we will see a resurgence.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #3813 on: 2017-08-30 01:40:40 »
Keep getting distracted... but we really are getting close.  At moment I am tinkering with ff8 though.  May be able to easily remove black bars in world map and battle.  So that will be cool.  And I'm currently trying to remove critical hit flashes and so on for someone.

Oh my.  Steam or original version?

Even with Maki's UV fix, there's still a 1px (actually I guess it's 1/2 px) issue with UV's in FF8... I believe it has to do with the way directX9 draws it's texels.  There exists a fix to input into the 'shaders' of games, as it's a known issue between Dx9 and Dx10, etc., but I don't know the first thing about modifying the .hlsl files.  This shouldn't be something that needs to be done in the actual game memory... but I don't know?

Anyway... awesome progress on all of your mods!  Thanks for your hard work :)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: 2017-08-30 06:48:47 »
Oh my.  Steam or original version?

Even with Maki's UV fix, there's still a 1px (actually I guess it's 1/2 px) issue with UV's in FF8... I believe it has to do with the way directX9 draws it's texels.  There exists a fix to input into the 'shaders' of games, as it's a known issue between Dx9 and Dx10, etc., but I don't know the first thing about modifying the .hlsl files.  This shouldn't be something that needs to be done in the actual game memory... but I don't know?

Anyway... awesome progress on all of your mods!  Thanks for your hard work :)

Maybe this guy could lend us a hand on this: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: 2017-08-30 10:40:40 »
It should work for both, but we'll see what happens ;)

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: 2017-08-30 12:00:27 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:03:44 by Cicciolo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: 2017-08-30 13:35:33 »
Of course it is.  It's for people with epilepsy or those who don't want them, hence "for someone".

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3818 on: 2017-08-30 22:01:45 »
Just something that I referred them to your project:
Found In Translation: Final Fantasy VII by Kotaku

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: 2017-08-30 22:06:42 »
Cheers!  Sooner or later maybe they will get round to doing an interview.  Preferably when we're done here.  It really is nearing the end... finally.  Also note the main players are Me Luksy Covarr and Japanese proofreader Shikun. It's not right that I simply get credited alone. I guess they can read it anyway on main thread but it's not the same.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-01 23:30:20 by DLPB »

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: 2017-09-02 18:08:51 »
The original game didn't have any proper programming or scoring whatsoever and was half unfinished.  I've deliberately made 50% very hard to do (you don't have to be absolutely perfect).  But if you got 49% then you can do 50.  It's a matter of shaving off a frame. You don't HAVE to get 50%. But if you want to, then you must earn it ;)

Considering the type of mini-game that follows at the docks, it would have made more sense for the programmers to have Cloud automatically join the line and have the player specifically time to rifle swings to achieve higher ratings.

I agree that getting 50% should be very tricky but I don't think it needs to be frame-perfect unless players are using the WEAPON Mod. I was hoping these changes wouldn't be detrimental to the reputation of the overall mod but there have been some complaints. Some players have been frustrasted at getting even the basics right, finding it difficult to achieve getting anything other than a grenade without multiple resets. In particular, triggering the march once Cloud approaches the back-line seems very hit-or-miss.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-02 18:16:56 by Matski »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: 2017-09-03 03:02:25 »
It doesn't need to be frame perfect in its current form.  It just needs to be very good. Frustration is normal - but resets are purely choice.  I may make it easier outside of Weapon.

It isn't hit or miss to trigger an event. You must be near the correct place.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-03 03:04:40 by DLPB »

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: 2017-09-03 16:43:59 »
Just gonna throw in my two cents on the topic. As a one-time minigame, the goal shouldn't be "it needs to feel realistic." I would say it's most essential for the minigame to feel accessible, not challenging or frustrating, especially considering how insignificant it is to the overall game. By toning down the difficulty it allows the player to pass the event without disrupting their cognitive flow or experience so far. It comes up, it's done, we move on.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: 2017-09-03 16:52:12 »
I doubt any player even bothered about the score they used to get here until there was actually a goal.  The original minigame is totally broken and people didn't reset the game if they didn't get the "best" score... which was totally arbitrary (and how would you know the highest score without a Guide?).  It's amazing me that so many people are complaining about this change.  As if their lives depend on getting the best score. Toning down the difficulty will simply make it so everyone can get the best score easily - and that's pointless. There is no one-time item being missed by not getting the best score. If people are resetting the game, they are clearly complicit in the "problem". There isn't a problem if you just settle for a lower score. After 3 fails, the minigame reverts to a much simpler version.

I'll make the minigame easier for the ordinary play through, but I am not sure what this is going to accomplish.  Aside from everyone getting the best score easily... which, as I said, completely misses the point.  It's almost like this is one of those sport prizes for anyone who takes part - which ruins completely the whole idea of a competitive sport. If this difficulty was stopping people from progressing the storyline, then that would be an issue.  But it's the difference between 49% and 50%.  Is the 1% really worth multiple resets?  If it is, then you are a competitive person who presumably wants the challenge?  I'm seeing a causality loop.

Also, the Snowboard and Coaster best times and best scores are far harder to do than this minigame.

Anyway, as I said I will amend it to be easier for the normal play through.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-03 17:00:50 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: 2017-09-03 17:03:19 »
I agree with Dan. However, I never did a good job with that minigame (I guess my best score was 34 or whatever on PSX). But honestly who actually cares for a prize which you won't really need? I also did never like this minigame, since it has no extra hint or help to find the right spot. Something like a constant march sound rhythm for example. Adding this could make even Dan's higher difficult much easier.