Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4825391 times)

Zara8

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] New Threat Mod v1.0.3
« Reply #25 on: 2014-01-25 18:18:18 »
hey sega chief

I know how you can make the first bombing mission much more harder

after someone is done beating the first guard scorpion, the save spot dissappears so no 1 can save there game after that

to make it much more challanging, what do you think about that idea

and later in the game when people want to get to the boss, they need a boss key to open the boss door and the boss key will be in a chest somewhere in the board

thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-01-25 19:59:39 »

I suddenly feel very inadequate with Nightmare 7
Pops to you good sir

Cheers, Tenko but your Nightmare 7 mod does a lot of neat things with hard-coding and has features like the timed treasures which must've taken a long time to implement. I had to resist the temptation to peak at your flevel and 'borrow' some of that script code  :evil:

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-01-25 22:46:52 »
Hey, is there a way to get archived files instead of a stand-alone installer? I'm trying to extract just the files without actually installing it.

Edit: Nevermind. Seems like there was an invalid char in the path and the patcher didn't like it. It worked after I moved it to another folder.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-25 23:02:04 by Vgr »

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-01-26 10:53:26 »
This Mod is amazing its everything I wanted to do with mine for the PSX. But of course due to limitations I couldn't Here's my blind full playthrough of the game https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRI2IVwnxZTYNMHaoW3exyIypoOgjJt7p

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 2014-01-26 11:49:13 »
Cheers, Tenko but your Nightmare 7 mod does a lot of neat things with hard-coding and has features like the timed treasures which must've taken a long time to implement. I had to resist the temptation to peak at your flevel and 'borrow' some of that script code  :evil:

I had lots of help from our resident coding masters for those things. You can borrow as much as you want, be my guest. I 'borrowed' a lot of code as well. I don't really care about credit either so you can just take what you need.
I don't even have FF7 installed right now, so I can't check this out but it does sound like a lot of work, especially the models.

Once I restart N7 development I might look into how you did things like the extra battle, the party leader changes (although I'm fairly sure I know how you did that), the movie skips(Let me guess. A dialogue choice that jumps bytes and simply skips the play_fmv command?), and especially the sidequests and AI scripts you added and redesigned.

N7 was always more of a combined mods mod than it's own thing. Because I don't want to have the drama from last time repeated, how do you feel about seeing these things in N7?(although I have no idea when or at what time I will restart development, might be months yet from now.) Of course you'd be credited for everything in the thread, readme and the ingame welcoming message.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 2014-01-26 12:20:37 »
This mod looks amazing. I'm going to fiddle with testing Kompass' GameConverter, installing this, then using 7th Heaven to inject mods. I'll try giving the best feedback I can when testing  :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-01-26 14:05:25 »
This Mod is amazing its everything I wanted to do with mine for the PSX. But of course due to limitations I couldn't Here's my blind full playthrough of the game https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRI2IVwnxZTYNMHaoW3exyIypoOgjJt7p

I'll give that a watch, thanks for taking the time to upload those; 20-40min videos take a while to render.

I had lots of help from our resident coding masters for those things. You can borrow as much as you want, be my guest. I 'borrowed' a lot of code as well. I don't really care about credit either so you can just take what you need.

N7 was always more of a combined mods mod than it's own thing. Because I don't want to have the drama from last time repeated, how do you feel about seeing these things in N7?(although I have no idea when or at what time I will restart development, might be months yet from now.) Of course you'd be credited for everything in the thread, readme and the ingame welcoming message.

Cheers, Tenko. Same goes for yourself, feel free to use whatever you need from this mod. I've got a list of the new enemy model IDs that I'll send across if you start up work on N7 again (some replaced default models that were duplicates, like the Pyramids). It'd be interesting (and nightmarish) to see NT enemies and Hardcore enemies teaming up.

Once I restart N7 development I might look into how you did things like the extra battle, the party leader changes (although I'm fairly sure I know how you did that), the movie skips(Let me guess. A dialogue choice that jumps bytes and simply skips the play_fmv command?), and especially the sidequests and AI scripts you added and redesigned.

Party leader changing took a while because where Cloud will have scripts for handling things like climbing ladders the other two will have scripts for playing a support character so to get the 'Execute script # from party member 0' working you need to move all of Cloud's party leader scripts right down and then restructure the order of animations for each character so that Cloud, Tifa, and Cid can use the same script when in the party leader role. Then Cloud's original scripts need to be changed so he can play as a support character if a scene triggers. That needs to be done for every field where Tifa and Cid didn't have access to as party leader, but this becomes a nightmare to do if there's multiple story scenes playing out in a particular field because of all the different scripts and animations flying around.

The cutscene skips are more of a case of going through the scene and making sure you get every variable and flag together so that it can triggered if the player opts to skip the flashback/scene. That way the game doesn't trip over itself later on.

This mod looks amazing. I'm going to fiddle with testing Kompass' GameConverter, installing this, then using 7th Heaven to inject mods. I'll try giving the best feedback I can when testing  :)

Thanks for giving it a shot, Alyza. I'm planning to build on it once it's stable based on player feedback and ideas they might have. Hope ya like it!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: 2014-01-26 14:30:21 »
God I know what you mean with the animation and script structuring

I would likely implement the additional content like new enemies, bosses and quests, but likely not the party leader changes simply because with so many mods already being combined, it will turn into a clusterfuck the size of the Pegasus Galaxy.

The equipment, item and what else changes I would probably also not touch since I already balanced the game around the existing gear. Rebalancing and implementing new monsters will be challenging, without messing up the balance, to say the least.

How would you rank NT in regards to overall difficulty? Nightmare is clearly aimed at a hardcore crowd and easily twice as hard as the hardcore mod.

I really need to get around reinstalling FF7 and installing NT so I can look at the files, especially the flevel and scene.bin

Or do you have some sort of documentation detailing your changes?
On that note, have you done any particular changes to the ff7.exe?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-01-26 14:44:47 »
How would you rank NT in regards to overall difficulty? Nightmare is clearly aimed at a hardcore crowd and easily twice as hard as the hardcore mod.

Or do you have some sort of documentation detailing your changes?
On that note, have you done any particular changes to the ff7.exe?

It's tough for me to judge the difficulty of the NT mod. I thought Motorball was a good challenging fight but I know of two people who cheated their way past because they felt he was too much; I reckon overall it's not as tough as the Hardcore mod but some of the story bosses can be quite challenging and the end-game bosses/extra bosses might need toning down in a few cases (I've got a guy who's on Disc 2 at the moment so I'll hopefully have more feedback on them before other players reach them). Standard fights are definitely easier; most standard enemies can be taken out in a few hits or less. The idea was for quick random fights and long boss fights.

I uploaded an updated manual that has more notes on changes to characters, equipment, Materia, spells, and items (it's toward the back under Changelog). I've not made any changes to the .exe but I wanted to for limit break editing (I held off because it reduces the mod's compatibility but as they are it's unbalanced the game slightly which is bugging me).

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 2014-01-26 15:01:35 »
Thanks a bunch.
I'll look through it. I'm particularly interested in how you coded the new quests and the FF10-esque arena (In theory, it's not that hard. Place new NPC, activate NPC dialogue based on variable, have NPC set variable, go to X where set variable comes into effect, bla bla bla. In practice, it's a lot harder than that, and a lot more headache inducing to get it working properly.)

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-01-26 15:10:56 »
I'll give that a watch, thanks for taking the time to upload those; 20-40min videos take a while to render.

Loads of time was invested in this I can tell just by playing it its the least I can do!

Bigmac

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] New Threat Mod v1.0.5 [BETA]
« Reply #36 on: 2014-02-05 19:24:42 »
Using 1.0.5 and I've bumped into a few bugs on disc one near the mithril/Junon area.

There's a new creature near fort condor that puts all the party into confuse status and taunts the player with a few lines in the battle message, looks like a guy riding a bull. Then the game seems to be stuck, I've waited 2 minutes and also tried escaping but nothing happens. All the atb bars stay on wait.

There's also a crash that involves the steal command. Red 13 is the third party member holding the steal materia. When I use the steal command on a ark dragon or a zemlett, big creature with the tornado attack animation, the game will crash. 

The mithril mine area also may need toning down a little especially packs with the crab and arc dragon creatures. If you don't get MBarrier up quick enough you quickly get decimated though I am only level 20 at this area.

Other than that its been fine so far.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-02-06 01:09:06 »
There's a new creature near fort condor that puts all the party into confuse status and taunts the player with a few lines in the battle message, looks like a guy riding a bull. Then the game seems to be stuck, I've waited 2 minutes and also tried escaping but nothing happens. All the atb bars stay on wait.

That's odd, his AI was functioning before. I'll look at him again. I'll fix whatever's wrong with his AI while I re-do his stats (he's specced to be a pseudo-late game boss you can find on Wasteland areas in Junon but it's probably too much).

There's also a crash that involves the steal command. Red 13 is the third party member holding the steal materia. When I use the steal command on a ark dragon or a zemlett, big creature with the tornado attack animation, the game will crash. 

There's a few of those glitches lurking in the game. I've been trying to catch and fix them all with PCFinal but I'm starting to think that more get created whenever I use PCAlpha to edit an enemy formation. It seems to be isolated to certain enemies; I'm planning to go through every enemy with the new editor anyway to get their drop/steal flags corrected.

The mithril mine area also may need toning down a little especially packs with the crab and arc dragon creatures. If you don't get MBarrier up quick enough you quickly get decimated though I am only level 20 at this area.

Yeah, I was toning that area down for the 1.1 release. What happened was I specced enemies individually and didn't take their formations into account so the attacks get a bit overwhelming. Doing the same for other areas, removing certain status ailments and reducing the chance for them to be inflicted. Might be a bit of a rough ride ahead until it's properly sorted out, I'm afraid. But thanks for this feedback, it helps me get the mod in much better shape.

Bigmac

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-02-10 14:17:05 »
Think I'll list the monsters that crash the game if you use the steal command on them. I'll keep this post updated as I progress.

Arc Dragon.
Zemlett.
Stinger, spider creature in the gi cave.
GI Champion from the chest in gi cave (also the Heavy Ring doesn't appear in inventory unless its under a different name).
Commandos in Nibelheim outside the mansion.
Ghirofelgo in Shinra Mansion.
Green Dragon in Mt Nibel.
Harpy in Corel Prison Desert.
Golem in Cosmo Canyon.
Razor Weed in Wutai area.
Tail Vault in Wutai area.
Thunderbirds in Wutai area.

Bugs:

I think my restore materia jumped 2 levels from cure 2 to cure 3+regen (lvl 2 to 4). Happened when I fought a 5 snake pack in the gi cave in the room before the boss, was equipped in a rune amulet socket. I don't know if it was a random thing or a bug with the materia levelling.

The sound sometimes changes when using the buggy, game is still playable but everything is in a higher pitch.

Lost Number crashes on his physical form, not straight away I might add, had a good 5 minute fight with him before the game froze.

I stole an item from a enemy, not sure which one but it has no name and looks like a accessory in the inventory but it isn't a accessory.

The giant bird in the battle arena, think its a Zu, makes the game stuck when it has its first attack. The atb meters stay on wait and there's nothing you can do except reload the game. Kind of frustrating as its one of the last enemies in the battle arena.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-13 19:11:14 by Bigmac »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-02-10 19:35:31 »
A list would be handy, thanks; I think for the Restore Materia I made Regen and Cure 3 very close together in level, not sure why at the time but I think it was to make the level of AP needed for Cure similar to Fire, Ice, etc.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 2014-02-16 07:53:43 »
Finally got the time to look at the files
I'm gonna have to make a documentation for what is where

Also I think I need to cut down a lot on the number of things I'll port over because it's just too many nice things over here.
Already fell victim to scope creep once, second time is game over  8)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-02-17 14:15:59 »
Finally got the time to look at the files
I'm gonna have to make a documentation for what is where

I'll put together a list of those flevel changes once 1.1 is out with all the field fixes. I think once those are in, it should be mostly error-free as far as the field goes (with the exception of the Gondola which skips the second part of the ride going over the Event & Ghost Squares). Most of the work is in fixing the scene/bin to get rid of the dodgy steal/drop flags, redesigning certain boss fights, and fixing up the soft-locks caused by some enemies. I'm also planning to experiment with some stuff like 'double' spell animations using a dummy invisible Clod and seeing if I can get that working reliably (an Aire Tam Diamond Flash would be interesting). It'll all be a while off though, got a tonne of actual work to get done over the next few weeks.

AirVault

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-06-10 21:29:53 »
hey Sega, mod looks really fun and I want to play it or try it out but I cannot find where to download it on the OP, am I blind? I cant seem to find it lol.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-06-10 22:52:04 »
Hey there,

Nah, you're not blind; I took the links down because I've nearly finished a big overhaul for this mod. It was too buggy and difficult before, so I reworked the whole thing. I'm aiming for the 15th June for release but there's a Beta that goes up to the boss fight with Dyne if you're interested:

v1.1 Beta 1998/Old PC version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gdlhtvdmahbaks6/FF7_New_Threat_Patch_Ver_1.1_Beta_1998.exe

v1.1 Beta 2012/Steam version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/az17oslzhuu01ol/FF7_New_Threat_Patch_Ver_1.1_Steam_Beta.exe

Just run the installer and point it at your version of FF7's data folder when prompted. It has special writing permissions so you might need to run it as Admin if there's security issues. The demo goes up to the boss fight with Dyne; once you have the buggy, I'd recommend saving the game and not continuing as the flevel will be referencing enemies and formations that don't exist. Save files made on the Beta can be used with the finished version without any problems.

One thing to note, the opening cutscene skip doesn't work for the Steam version (it crashes the game when you fight the first set of soldiers) so if you download that version then select 'No' when asked if you want to skip the opening (it's being removed from both versions if I can't figure out how to get it working properly).

Finally, if you run into any issues with the mod or have suggestions for stuff to add or ways to improve it then let me know.

AirVault

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-06-11 01:47:17 »
ok great thanks, ill have a look back around the 15th for a new update :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-06-11 02:31:52 »
Righto; I'll hopefully have it all together by then.

steelass117

• Defeating a sandwich,only makes it tastier
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-06-15 17:37:49 »
been waiting since january for this update :D i can't wait man

awesome mod

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-06-15 21:19:40 »
Really? Sorry about the wait; I've been working on it when I can but I fell behind with it this week because of a bout of flu and some new ideas I've had for it. I'm aiming for the 21st now for the 1.1 release. If there's anything you want to see in the mod then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

steelass117

• Defeating a sandwich,only makes it tastier
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-06-15 22:06:50 »
don't worry about it :) iv'e enjoyed the mod so far

so anything you do to it now is just a bonus for me :)

AirVault

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-06-16 03:02:09 »
hey sega a few questions about the mod.

Is the entire game modded and playable in the 1.1 release?

How does this compare to Gjoerulv's hardcore mod? I just finished that one.

Also with this mod, is it going to a different feel than the original or just harder?