Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838388 times)

13arabba

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #6950 on: 2018-06-19 04:40:26 »
A really ambitious thing I would like to see would be the Aeris/Mimic boss fight having a reference to Yunalesca, where after the first phase a big ol' Anglerfish thing waves around the Aeris/Mimic on a tendril.

Is this boss fight still doable without Aeris, like a cruel "Ha, you thought Aeris was alive, but it was ME, Mimic!"?

EDIT: Ooh, and the Anglerfish has an Ultros face!
« Last Edit: 2018-06-19 04:48:33 by 13arabba »

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: 2018-06-19 12:58:46 »
hey man thanks again for this great mod!! i am currently restarting with 1.5 and looks good!

only one suggestion IF I MAY!! (i dont understand much of programming so i toss my 2 cents here)

How about make the standard ff vii chibi models improved? i mean they got no mouth in this version and their dress are like a big polygon. is there anything we can do?  just asking!! (btw i dont like the models of t haven lol)

another thing i would change: cloud passive. Is useless pretty much of the game save for some bosses. Limit stack COULD be a good idea but in random encounters is pointless (enemies die too fast) making it worth in SOME bosses only and even there to get to max stack you need to fight a boss which is very though.
I propose changing it in something like this:

Veteran of  War
Cloud  learned to adapt to every fight while under shinra dependency and following his strict training regime he learned to expose enemy weaknesses. Cloud reduces enemy resistances when  using magical attacks by 5% plus additional 1% for each magical attack and physical defenses by 5% when attacking every time he performs an attack. Stack maximum to 10%. During boss fights cloud luck is increased by 10%.

This way make a flexible caster or physical character i guess with edge on bosses no? :D

Neon Samurai

• View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: 2018-06-19 19:18:46 »
I appreciate that.  Yeah it's really odd, it feels like it just doesn't do anything.   With that high of an evade she should practically be unhitable with physical attacks, no?

It should be working correctly, but I'll double-check it just in case.

KittyJaws

• Person who isn't a person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: 2018-06-19 22:41:06 »
Hi, I just beat the mod in normal and arrange mode because of how much i liked it and from my experiences my advice for some troubles i had: the mime materia cave goes from incredibly difficult and extremely remedy heavy without KoTR to winning is one turn with it, i'd say that boss fight should have less creatures but with much more health and speed or something along those lines. Also unless i missed it, the first boss in disc 2 with the guard scorpion has no places to grind with which meant i had to skip it in both runs using Ochu which never felt right.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: 2018-06-20 15:20:15 »
A really ambitious thing I would like to see would be the Aeris/Mimic boss fight having a reference to Yunalesca, where after the first phase a big ol' Anglerfish thing waves around the Aeris/Mimic on a tendril.

Is this boss fight still doable without Aeris, like a cruel "Ha, you thought Aeris was alive, but it was ME, Mimic!"?

EDIT: Ooh, and the Anglerfish has an Ultros face!

Anglerfish? This isn't Sega Bass Fishing the far superior JRPG of its time to which all others stand inferior

hey man thanks again for this great mod!! i am currently restarting with 1.5 and looks good!

only one suggestion IF I MAY!! (i dont understand much of programming so i toss my 2 cents here)

How about make the standard ff vii chibi models improved? i mean they got no mouth in this version and their dress are like a big polygon. is there anything we can do?  just asking!! (btw i dont like the models of t haven lol)

another thing i would change: cloud passive. Is useless pretty much of the game save for some bosses. Limit stack COULD be a good idea but in random encounters is pointless (enemies die too fast) making it worth in SOME bosses only and even there to get to max stack you need to fight a boss which is very though.
I propose changing it in something like this:

Veteran of  War
Cloud  learned to adapt to every fight while under shinra dependency and following his strict training regime he learned to expose enemy weaknesses. Cloud reduces enemy resistances when  using magical attacks by 5% plus additional 1% for each magical attack and physical defenses by 5% when attacking every time he performs an attack. Stack maximum to 10%. During boss fights cloud luck is increased by 10%.

This way make a flexible caster or physical character i guess with edge on bosses no? :D

The current crop of field models are mostly default save for the removal of the PC mouth textures; I could have distributed the ones used by the main characters to the NPCs but I opted for the PSX-look in the end. Some of the main character field models are cast-offs of Kalderasha's earlier work with a few tweaks I added to detailing using scaled-down parts from battle models. Further changes could be made, but I'd prefer to work on the FF8 NT alpha for the moment once I've put up this preliminary FF7 NT patch.

Reducing enemy defence would be a good mechanic, but reducing enemy defence like that could be problematic and the Luck stat can't be adjusted based on earlier experience with Cid's first innate; I might be wrong about that, but it didn't seem to be functioning correctly when I tried it.

I appreciate that.  Yeah it's really odd, it feels like it just doesn't do anything.   With that high of an evade she should practically be unhitable with physical attacks, no?

From what I've seen in runs, she typically dodges any physical attack thrown at her while it's up. I don't think it's overflow either, because it specifically sets the value rather than adds it on (unless additional math is done to modify the dodge, but then would be seeing the problem elsewhere). I'll run tests to make sure.

Hi, I just beat the mod in normal and arrange mode because of how much i liked it and from my experiences my advice for some troubles i had: the mime materia cave goes from incredibly difficult and extremely remedy heavy without KoTR to winning is one turn with it, i'd say that boss fight should have less creatures but with much more health and speed or something along those lines. Also unless i missed it, the first boss in disc 2 with the guard scorpion has no places to grind with which meant i had to skip it in both runs using Ochu which never felt right.

Junon Weapon Raid is a mucky area where a forced party of Cait, Barret, and Yuffie get thrown together with fairly tough enemies like Soldier 2nd wandering around and a boss waiting at the end. I added the save point + shop option there to alleviate it a little, but when I see players reach it in runs the momentum completely stalls there. I'm revising the scene at the moment:
-) Cait knocks the two troopers out with no battle when rescuing Barret
-) Replacing Soldier: 2nd here with downtuned Junon Trooper (maybe other formation adjustments)
-) Not sure about the boss yet

13arabba

• View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: 2018-06-21 21:34:16 »
What if Cloud had a mechanic that once per battle, whenever an enemy puts his HP in the yellow, like say, putting a sword through him, he counters with a crit?
« Last Edit: 2018-06-21 21:38:24 by 13arabba »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: 2018-06-22 00:09:16 »
What if Cloud had a mechanic that once per battle, whenever an enemy puts his HP in the yellow, like say, putting a sword through him, he counters with a crit?

I've tried to avoid actual counter attacks as innates because they can interfere with morphing and stealing.

Cait Shu

• View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: 2018-06-22 01:53:32 »
I wanted to know, after you reach the Mythril Mines and characters at rank 1 receive the first sources, wasn't supposed to give you +5 sources of every status plus the ones you choose? I received just a few ones from the boosts i choose, is it normal? :o

MelonMelonHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: 2018-06-22 06:11:47 »
Hey,

First time playing New Threat, really happy with it so far and I really appreciate all the work that's gone into it, but I just have a question about the difference between Normal and Arrange. Basically I'm wondering if Arrange mode devolves into intense amounts of grinding in order to progress. I prefer a more difficult game in general and I really enjoy hardcore mods even when they're unbalanced, but I only really enjoy grinding when it's done in handheld jrpgs. Would I be better off in Normal if I'd prefer to strategize to get through encounters as opposed to just increasing my stats? I don't mind needing to grind 20-30 minutes every so often, but if I need to grind to get through every new area, that's where I start to get frustrated.

Apologies if you have written about the differences between the two mods in this thread, I searched but can't seem to find concrete answers concerning the differences. I suppose I'm wondering where the increased difficulty of Arrange comes from.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: 2018-06-22 16:03:43 »
I wanted to know, after you reach the Mythril Mines and characters at rank 1 receive the first sources, wasn't supposed to give you +5 sources of every status plus the ones you choose? I received just a few ones from the boosts i choose, is it normal? :o

One of the changes made with this March 2018 executable prototype was to set sources to be worth +5 per use instead of +1; the idea was to reduce on button-mashing when distributing sources. When using sources, check that your stats are going up by +5 each time; if they aren't, then let me know as it means your .exe hasn't been patched by the installer properly.

Hey,

First time playing New Threat, really happy with it so far and I really appreciate all the work that's gone into it, but I just have a question about the difference between Normal and Arrange. Basically I'm wondering if Arrange mode devolves into intense amounts of grinding in order to progress. I prefer a more difficult game in general and I really enjoy hardcore mods even when they're unbalanced, but I only really enjoy grinding when it's done in handheld jrpgs. Would I be better off in Normal if I'd prefer to strategize to get through encounters as opposed to just increasing my stats? I don't mind needing to grind 20-30 minutes every so often, but if I need to grind to get through every new area, that's where I start to get frustrated.

Apologies if you have written about the differences between the two mods in this thread, I searched but can't seem to find concrete answers concerning the differences. I suppose I'm wondering where the increased difficulty of Arrange comes from.

Arrange is more or less the same tempo, but you might find the difficulty spikes (or sinks) regarding some of the boss replacements. If it's your first run through, or you want a more balanced experience, then stick with Normal mode; I have to do some rebalancing with Arrange.

Cait Shu

• View Profile
« Reply #6960 on: 2018-06-22 18:14:48 »
So yeah that why I tought it was strange, they added just an +1, i saved and checked before and after using it, they just added +1 but it indeed if they should have have added +5 they came in right quantity but did not add the +5 just an +1 boost :c

MelonMelonHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: 2018-06-22 19:12:48 »

Arrange is more or less the same tempo, but you might find the difficulty spikes (or sinks) regarding some of the boss replacements. If it's your first run through, or you want a more balanced experience, then stick with Normal mode; I have to do some rebalancing with Arrange.

Will I still struggle at times with Normal and/or need to strategize to get through bosses? And it's a hard choice either way because I recently played FFIX Unleashed and it wasn't that balanced but I still had fun. Also if it's mainly the bosses that are very hard, I love that really. It's when the random encounters start to take five or more minutes consistently that I get a bit burned out.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-22 20:25:22 by MelonMelonHeart »

Incinerator

« Reply #6962 on: 2018-06-22 22:45:53 »
Will I still struggle at times with Normal and/or need to strategize to get through bosses? And it's a hard choice either way because I recently played FFIX Unleashed and it wasn't that balanced but I still had fun. Also if it's mainly the bosses that are very hard, I love that really. It's when the random encounters start to take five or more minutes consistently that I get a bit burned out.

I’m so glad you mentioned this. Maybe now people will realize and understand.

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: 2018-06-23 00:23:03 »
honestly the fact that even random encounter needs brain instead of attack spamming is what makes me love the mod.

The oly thing i repeat would be nice to get new cloud passive because limit spamm is undoable at best but that is just my opinion! :D

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: 2018-06-23 02:55:00 »
So yeah that why I tought it was strange, they added just an +1, i saved and checked before and after using it, they just added +1 but it indeed if they should have have added +5 they came in right quantity but did not add the +5 just an +1 boost :c

The executable hasn't been patched for some reason, might be a security thing. If you download the 7H folder from the front page, there'll be some executables inside that can be used to get around this. If you're on Steam, it'll be the ff7_en.exe you want; if it's a 7H-converted game (or original 1998 PC) then ff7.exe.

Otherwise, try running the installer again set as admin, full-write permissions, etc.

You won't need to min-max for the majority of the mod, some bosses will require a bit of planning but they're usually optional and can be beaten later on if they're too much trouble (Materia Keeper is optional now for instance and drops Powersoul but can be tricky to beat on first visit, Lost Number is no longer required to access Vincent in the basement and can be attempted later, and the Wutai Pagoda can be re-attempted later as well).

Disc 3 has some optional encounters which can be more difficult, but the patch I uploaded has revised enemy HP, defences, attacks, and AI for Disc 2/3 which should make it a bit more accessible (particularly the North Crater).

Randoms should be fairly fast to take down so long as you're making use of elements and the like; but if they're getting annoying then they can be disabled at Save Points if you just want to do some exploring in peace. EXP and AP given increases exponentially as you go to each new area so don't worry about missing out, the later areas will catch your team up super fast.

honestly the fact that even random encounter needs brain instead of attack spamming is what makes me love the mod.

The oly thing i repeat would be nice to get new cloud passive because limit spamm is undoable at best but that is just my opinion! :D

I've changed Cloud's innate slightly for the patch; he gets a flat bonus when a Limit is used which slowly decreases until it resets and can be procced again.

Made some new patches for the mod, updated the links on the front page. Let me know if you encounter any problems and make sure the .exe is patched by checking materia equip effects (they should be different from vanilla).

Patch Notes (June 23rd 2018)
https://pastebin.com/qJbKWcdn

Edit:
I left two debug routines in there by accident, going to have to remove them when I get back; avoid using the Save Point just before Air Buster and talking to the crewman on the Highwind until I've replaced the installer tonight.

Edit2: Fixed the files and reuploaded, links are up again.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-23 16:41:45 by Sega Chief »

Nataks

• View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: 2018-06-23 11:39:46 »
hi chief,

i had encounter 2 problem with the new patch (June 23rd 2018) :

- jenova vector still didnt spawn the 2 nodes

- the new spell L5 Suicide (Quarry Fuse) deal the earth damage but buff the enemy by giving them barrier/mbarrier/invincible (yellow glow)

Cait Shu

• View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: 2018-06-23 23:12:32 »
So I re installed the patch even the game itself and still, the sources only add an +1 instead of +5 I'm using the steam edition and tried that new patch there, everything else is right, just the sources rly just add +1 not +5 ._.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-24 00:00:09 by Cait Shu »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: 2018-06-23 23:22:14 »
hi chief,

i had encounter 2 problem with the new patch (June 23rd 2018) :

- jenova vector still didnt spawn the 2 nodes

- the new spell L5 Suicide (Quarry Fuse) deal the earth damage but buff the enemy by giving them barrier/mbarrier/invincible (yellow glow)

Alright, change of plan then for the Nodes. I moved that script to post-action and changed the trigger behaviour. I'll set up a scene/kernel patch to sort out that and the e.skill missing flags for remove status.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/file/o9o2qwu5o1l2g3y/NT_Mod_-_Enemy_%2526_Kernel_Hotfix_-_23rd_June_2018.zip/file
« Last Edit: 2018-06-23 23:42:00 by Sega Chief »

Cait Shu

• View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: 2018-06-23 23:59:57 »
By the way and I tried the new installer and can't choose the "Check Character Status " option, just the last upgrade option. I re installed the patch even the game itself and still, the sources only add an +1 instead of +5 I'm using the steam edition and tried that new patch there, everything else is right, just the sources rly just add +1 not +5 ._.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-24 01:24:49 by Cait Shu »

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: 2018-06-24 00:54:10 »
The executable hasn't been patched for some reason, might be a security thing. If you download the 7H folder from the front page, there'll be some executables inside that can be used to get around this. If you're on Steam, it'll be the ff7_en.exe you want; if it's a 7H-converted game (or original 1998 PC) then ff7.exe.

Otherwise, try running the installer again set as admin, full-write permissions, etc.

You won't need to min-max for the majority of the mod, some bosses will require a bit of planning but they're usually optional and can be beaten later on if they're too much trouble (Materia Keeper is optional now for instance and drops Powersoul but can be tricky to beat on first visit, Lost Number is no longer required to access Vincent in the basement and can be attempted later, and the Wutai Pagoda can be re-attempted later as well).

Disc 3 has some optional encounters which can be more difficult, but the patch I uploaded has revised enemy HP, defences, attacks, and AI for Disc 2/3 which should make it a bit more accessible (particularly the North Crater).

Randoms should be fairly fast to take down so long as you're making use of elements and the like; but if they're getting annoying then they can be disabled at Save Points if you just want to do some exploring in peace. EXP and AP given increases exponentially as you go to each new area so don't worry about missing out, the later areas will catch your team up super fast.

I've changed Cloud's innate slightly for the patch; he gets a flat bonus when a Limit is used which slowly decreases until it resets and can be procced again.

Made some new patches for the mod, updated the links on the front page. Let me know if you encounter any problems and make sure the .exe is patched by checking materia equip effects (they should be different from vanilla).

Patch Notes (June 23rd 2018)
https://pastebin.com/qJbKWcdn

Edit:
I left two debug routines in there by accident, going to have to remove them when I get back; avoid using the Save Point just before Air Buster and talking to the crewman on the Highwind until I've replaced the installer tonight.

Edit2: Fixed the files and reuploaded, links are up again.

i already commenced a new game if i apply this patch now io have to restart or my save file will not get any problem ? I am at he very beginning just met aeris now.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: 2018-06-24 01:38:11 »
By the way and I tried the new installer and can't choose the "Check Character Status " option, just the last upgrade option. I re installed the patch even the game itself and still, the sources only add an +1 instead of +5 I'm using the steam edition and tried that new patch there, everything else is right, just the sources rly just add +1 not +5 ._.

The menu problem is likely due to the field script changes in place which I'll need to sort. The .exe not being patched is prob down to a permissions issue of some sort. If you download the 7H IRO from the front page and unzip it, you'll find some executable files inside that you can try dropping into your FF7 folder directly.

i already commenced a new game if i apply this patch now io have to restart or my save file will not get any problem ? I am at he very beginning just met aeris now.

Savemap should be fine so don't worry about applying the patch or future patches; it only tends to be big overhaul patches (when the version number changes) that the savemap gets messed with.

apfrosty

• View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: 2018-06-25 13:21:43 »
so, since the L5 was changed into Quarry ability, how do we learn chocobuckle? Been searching about it and didnt find anything ;-;

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: 2018-06-25 15:33:44 »
one thing: did you remove the choco mog matera summon boss fith?= i remember in earlier version there was one and now i simply spoke to the chocobo and it gave me materia in vanilla like game.

And btw i wish to add another suggestion: Steal materia. basic steral FF VII formula is like this:

LVdifference=40+User′sLV−Target′sLV

LVfactor=512×LVdifference100
Chance=Itemchance×LVfactor256

now i my modest opinion basing steal ONLY on level element is quite silly.... i would make steal materia based on 3 elements for the calculation whch are, level difference (like in the first formula) and then LUCK and DEXTRETY which are known thief attributes! :D this would make also tifa or yuffie good "thieves" style classes because they got usually highest dex in the game what ya think about it? :D

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: 2018-06-25 16:31:18 »
hey sega chief

is there anyway you could add in a 3x faster option on the save points, so if someone wants the game to go by 3x faster they can turn that option on and or off

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: 2018-06-25 16:47:14 »
an apopointment i would make: Concerning SP and characters i have some suggestions (just my 2 penny ideas!!) :D

AERIS:

\\Source-Point Options//
Flowergirl: +10 MAG, +5 SPR/DEX
White Mage: +15 MAG, +5 VIT<-----here i would add +5 luck
Geomancer:  +10 VIT/SPR, +5 MAG
Slum Drunk: +15 STR, +10 VIT/LCK<----------srsly..... aeris being a mage get str??? O_o can ya change with 15 vit10luck/5 spr :D

YUFFIE:
\\Source-Point Options//
Materia Hunter: +5 STR/MAG/DEX <-----i would make 5STR/LUCK/MAG to hunt materia ya need luck!!!! :D
Gil Bandit:    +10 DEX, +5 STR/LCK
Wutai Shinobi:    +10 MAG/SPR
Goddamn Punk:    +10 STR/VIT

CAITH SIT:
\\Source-Point Options//
Fortune-Teller: +5 STR/MAG, +10 LCK
Yeti Pal:    +5 STR/VIT/LCK
Materia Tank:    +5 MAG/SPR/LCK
Top Cat:    +15 DEX, +10 LCK<------instead of dex make VIT rendering him little more tanky

[Elemental Consistency]

Elemental weaknesses were inconsistent in the original game; for NT, it is easier to discern
an enemy's weaknesses based on the type of enemy:

Beasts/Vermin:    Fire & Ice
   Mechanical:   Bolt & Water
   Large enemies:   Earth
   Flying enemies: Wind & Gravity
   Humanoid:   Poison
   Demons/Mutants:   Holy
   Temple/WEAPON:   Hidden

NOTE: here i found many isses especially on low level areas (the wolves near kalm town for example i tossed em fire2 and they received life instead of getting damaged...)

I suggest also IF POSSIBLE (i am ignorant in coding totally so dont get mad) to add Wind materia to give aeor aeor 2 and aero 3 (on northern cave the mobs first time you arrive use AERO 3 so i guess you could "steal " that animation and adapt it :D)

[Stealing & Morphing]

These have been revised for every enemy, and Morph is now available much earlier in the game.
Bosses can be Morphed, with effort, into powerful items and equipment early in the game for
players willing to invest the time and energy.

on this i would give my 2 cent idea to rework steal mechanic as follows:
LVdifference=40+User′sLV−Target′sLV

LVfactor=512×LVdifference100
Chance=Itemchance×LVfactor256

sorry for disturb and btw great mod!! I LOVE IT!! :D
« Last Edit: 2018-06-25 22:45:38 by Asherdoom »